What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Blake Bortles as a backup QB?
I mean that would a big upgrade over Kizer, but I'm sure Bortles could do better than Green Bay. I mean, he's probably the 2nd best unsigned QB right now. Possible he still gets a chance to start somewhere. Miami maybe?

Big Fan of the off season moves so far. Whether or not these guys are worth the $$ spent, ( :homer: in me thinks they will) it's refreshing to see GB get in the mix. I was hoping to see a move for Beasley in the slot as he and Rodgers would be on the same page day 1. Who's left besides Golden Tate? The thought of him in a Packer uni makes me throw up in my mouth a little although he's the kinda guy you want ON your team.

He will cost more to be just as horrendous as Kizer. My position is that if Rodgers goes down, Packers aren’t going anywhere so spend backup qb money at other areas of need.
I can agree somewhat with yiurntake (though if Rodgers goes down for 2-3 games a decent backup can still win).  I disagree on Bortles being anywhere close to as bad as Kizer.  

I can agree somewhat with yiurntake (though if Rodgers goes down for 2-3 games a decent backup can still win).  I disagree on Bortles being anywhere close to as bad as Kizer.  
He might be a little bit better but barely. Bortles is truly an atrocious qb. Defenses stacked the line to stop jaguars run and he still couldn’t take advantage.

I have no problem replacing kizer. But with a guy at same salary level. 

Still a lot of holes on this team like a middle of the field receiver, pass catching tight end, number 2 running back, offensive line depth, and defensive line depth. Money would be better spent in these areas.

I, for one, do not see the need for them to sign any of the top remaining WRs.  Between the trio of 2nd year guys, the likely return of Allison, possible post June 1st cuts around the league, and a deep rookie WR class I'm confident the Packers can fill out a solid receiving corps by less expensive (possibly more effective) routes.

I, for one, do not see the need for them to sign any of the top remaining WRs.  Between the trio of 2nd year guys, the likely return of Allison, possible post June 1st cuts around the league, and a deep rookie WR class I'm confident the Packers can fill out a solid receiving corps by less expensive (possibly more effective) routes.
I unfortunately don’t share your confidence in current group. MVS has shown flashes and feel like he has fantastic potential as a deep threat big play guy. But Geronimo has been wildly inconsistent and can’t stay healthy, St. Brown looked confused most of the time and was rarely on same page with Roders, and J’Mon was a complete flop. We need players that can get open, run the correct routes, and secure the football. Right now, Adams is the only guy who gives me confidence here (with MVS showing great potential)

We need someone like Golden Tate or Chris Hogan. Or Maurice Harris who did well replacing Crowder in slot when he went down for Redskins. I do think we need to nab a receiver early and I have already said I really, really like Andy Isabella out of UMASS.

Tight End is the same issue. No athleticism at all. It’s painful watching Jimmy Graham run.

We have the best qb in the NFL. Need to give him some sure handed weapons to work with. 

I unfortunately don’t share your confidence in current group. MVS has shown flashes and feel like he has fantastic potential as a deep threat big play guy. But Geronimo has been wildly inconsistent and can’t stay healthy, St. Brown looked confused most of the time and was rarely on same page with Roders, and J’Mon was a complete flop. We need players that can get open, run the correct routes, and secure the football. Right now, Adams is the only guy who gives me confidence here (with MVS showing great potential)

We need someone like Golden Tate or Chris Hogan. Or Maurice Harris who did well replacing Crowder in slot when he went down for Redskins. I do think we need to nab a receiver early and I have already said I really, really like Andy Isabella out of UMASS.

Tight End is the same issue. No athleticism at all. It’s painful watching Jimmy Graham run.

We have the best qb in the NFL. Need to give him some sure handed weapons to work with. 
I think WR with one of their top-3 picks is very possible. As far as vets, would they bring Randall Cobb back? He'd probably only require about 25% of his former salary. Maybe Crabtree/Demaryius, assuming they'd be fractions of former contracts?

Kumerow might be their best possession receiver so I would like to see one of those veterans which is part of why I was down on signing 2 OLB to big money (mainly Z. Smith for me). It limits what you have for other areas. I think it's likely they roll with what they have and hope they develop unless they find a solid veteran cheap at some point this off season.

I think WR with one of their top-3 picks is very possible. As far as vets, would they bring Randall Cobb back? He'd probably only require about 25% of his former salary. Maybe Crabtree/Demaryius, assuming they'd be fractions of former contracts?
I wouldn’t want Cobb back, injuries really have taken a toll. Demaryius is done, no gas left in the tank. Crabtree has fantastic hands but I don’t really see him as a slot guy. 

I wouldn’t want Cobb back, injuries really have taken a toll. Demaryius is done, no gas left in the tank. Crabtree has fantastic hands but I don’t really see him as a slot guy. 
Yeah, none of those 3 veterans can get any separation at this point.  Doesn't help us at all.

Adams on the outside and MVS running deep would be made so much more effective with a solid underneath game. We just have really lacked it since Cobb was in his prime (a while ago). 

Beasley or Crowder would have been perfect but I understand Packers not pursuing due to price. I think Tate is perfect but he will probably get a nice contract as well.

I fear we are standing pat at tight end. 

And as I look at draft I really think a big time defender is going to slip to our pick. Either D Lineman or Linebacker.

I can’t see White making it to us but man, he would be the absolutely perfect complement next to Blake Martinez. 

Interesting note regarding recently released Redskin ILB Zach Brown - his position coach for last two years with Redskins, Kirk Olivadotti is now the Packers LB coach. Not sure if that’s good or bad as Brown clashed with coaches last year. Hope it wasn’t Olivadotti. He would be a huge score.

Last edited by a moderator:
And as I look at draft I really think a big time defender is going to slip to our pick. Either D Lineman or Linebacker.

I can’t see White making it to us but man, he would be the absolutely perfect complement next to Blake Martinez. 

If White falls to GB and is selected, he isn’t the one who will be the complement.

If White falls to GB and is selected, he isn’t the one who will be the complement.
I meant that Martinez is the solid run stuffing ILB and White is the sideline to sideline 3 down backer. I’m not getting my hopes up as I have zero doubt if he slips pst Lions, the Bengals will scoop him up one pick before us.

It’s also why I am hoping a lot of teams trade up into the top ten for qbs. Would guarantee we get a stud defensive player either at DL or LB.

It’s also why I am hoping a lot of teams trade up into the top ten for qbs. Would guarantee we get a stud defensive player either at DL or LB.
With the depth at the DL, edge, and WR positions in this draft I'm actually hoping some desperate team trades up with us at 12 and we grab some more draft capital

With the depth at the DL, edge, and WR positions in this draft I'm actually hoping some desperate team trades up with us at 12 and we grab some more draft capital
I’m not opposed to that either as I think the first two rounds are fantastic from a talent standpoint. But if a guy like White is there they have to take him as I think he is a pro bowler from day one in my opinion.

WR youth depth is nice and one or two should hopefully develop into something worthy, but this team is in desperate need of a #2 target.  I don't want to see the final prime years of Rodgers go like they did for Favre.  I'd be curious what Tate's camp is asking for and possibly rolling the dice on him.    Any other FA WR's out there?  

Or not....

Breaking: Golden Tate expected to finalize deal with #Patriots. 

Would like GB to talk to Browns about Duke Johnson. We can use an upgrade over Jamaal Williams and Johnson was criminally underutilized in Cleveland. Elite pass catcher and underrated runner.

WR youth depth is nice and one or two should hopefully develop into something worthy, but this team is in desperate need of a #2 target.  I don't want to see the final prime years of Rodgers go like they did for Favre.  I'd be curious what Tate's camp is asking for and possibly rolling the dice on him.    Any other FA WR's out there?  

Or not....

Breaking: Golden Tate expected to finalize deal with #Patriots. 
Patriots sign Tate for 4 years 54 Million.  Per Ian Rapport

That is the big question to me. Would you rather bring in Golden Tate or Z. Smith? Money is similar. Not sure what is better but Smith hasn't done enough yet for me to be sold on him.

That is the big question to me. Would you rather bring in Golden Tate or Z. Smith? Money is similar. Not sure what is better but Smith hasn't done enough yet for me to be sold on him.
Defense without question.

we can upgrade our offense without breaking the bank.

As for the Packers draft, I'd look at what we've seen from Gute to date.  Priorities have been largely what analytics would tell you to be prioritized.  Basically do everything you can to improve your passing game and limit the other teams passing game.  

TE has been essentially a black hole since Jermicheal Finley left.  I'll be very surprised if they don't use one of their top 3 picks on one.  

There's obviously a ton of very good edge players coming out, and pass rushers are so valuable it wouldn't be a shock to see them go there even after signing the Smiths.  

Clearly the Oline needs to be restocked with some youth as well.  

That’s a lot of cash for a 31 year old slot guy. The jets signing of Crowder and Bills of Beasley look a lot better.

Ha ha Clinton-Dix vs Adrian Amos

Career Numbers
Seasons: 5 vs 4
Ints: 14 vs 3
PD: 28 vs 18
Fumbles: 4 vs 3
Sacks: 5.5 vs 2
Tackles: 456 vs 269
Guaranteed $$$: 3.5 vs 12

Ha ha Clinton-Dix vs Adrian Amos

Career Numbers
Seasons: 5 vs 4
Ints: 14 vs 3
PD: 28 vs 18
Fumbles: 4 vs 3
Sacks: 5.5 vs 2
Tackles: 456 vs 269
Guaranteed $$$: 3.5 vs 12
Are you asserting that Ha Ha is a better safety than Amos? Because there aren’t many who would.

Calling Ha Ha average is being generous. After his rookie year I thought he would become a stud, just never materialized. 

Are you asserting that Ha Ha is a better safety than Amos? Because there aren’t many who would.

Calling Ha Ha average is being generous. After his rookie year I thought he would become a stud, just never materialized. 
When you factor in the contracts and the coverage difference, HHCD is a better bargain here.

In terms of tackling, Amos is the better or the two.

When you factor in the contracts and the coverage difference, HHCD is a better bargain here.

In terms of tackling, Amos is the better or the two.
Ha Ha is a league average at best player. Amos consistently grades as a top safety. Being a cheaper contract doesn’t make it a bargain. Amos is a far better player.

Ha Ha is a league average at best player. Amos consistently grades as a top safety. Being a cheaper contract doesn’t make it a bargain. Amos is a far better player.
I'm happy Amos got paid, but he didn't turn into a PFF graded well player until Eddie Jackson came along. 

Rookie year went well for Amos. But year 2 didn't...so much so that Chicago signed Quintin Demps in free agency and drafted Eddie Jackson. Amos wasn't even the starting safety to start the 2017 season. Demps got injured and Amos became the starter in week 4 against GB and has been the starter since. 

Without Jackson again...at the end of the year, Amos struggled. Here's 5 plays from the playoff game that he could've played better, including getting beat one on one for a TD 

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=154

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=242

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=395

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=442

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=686

I'm happy Amos got paid, but he didn't turn into a PFF graded well player until Eddie Jackson came along. 

Rookie year went well for Amos. But year 2 didn't...so much so that Chicago signed Quintin Demps in free agency and drafted Eddie Jackson. Amos wasn't even the starting safety to start the 2017 season. Demps got injured and Amos became the starter in week 4 against GB and has been the starter since. 

Without Jackson again...at the end of the year, Amos struggled. Here's 5 plays from the playoff game that he could've played better, including getting beat one on one for a TD 

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=154

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=242

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=395

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=442

https://youtu.be/eKWQRC5t0K0?t=686
You linked to 5 plays where he could have played better? Seriously? I can show you 5 plays Khalil Mack got owned by an offensive lineman. But that would be dumb because despite getting beat Mack is arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

listen I wish Ha Ha well, he seems like a good guy. He just isn’t a good safety. Amos is a gigantic upgrade and as I said earlier an argument could be made he was the best safety available in this class.

You linked to 5 plays where he could have played better? Seriously? I can show you 5 plays Khalil Mack got owned by an offensive lineman. But that would be dumb because despite getting beat Mack is arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

listen I wish Ha Ha well, he seems like a good guy. He just isn’t a good safety. Amos is a gigantic upgrade and as I said earlier an argument could be made he was the best safety available in this class.
Not sure what Mack has to do with anything...

Adrian Amos played a bad game, despite getting a floating INT in the playoff game. The point is...he's simply not the same player without Eddie Jackson. He's a good player when he's a role guy, but not when he has to be the star. For the money difference, he needs to play like a star. 

I bring links with visual evidence....and that's NOT what you want. Film>opinion, Stats>opinion 

Not sure what Mack has to do with anything...

Adrian Amos played a bad game, despite getting a floating INT in the playoff game. The point is...he's simply not the same player without Eddie Jackson. He's a good player when he's a role guy, but not when he has to be the star. For the money difference, he needs to play like a star. 

I bring links with visual evidence....and that's NOT what you want. Film>opinion, Stats>opinion 
My point is great players have bad plays, not sure how that lofted over your head.

He is a top 10 safety who grades out as a top ten safety and is paid less than a top ten safety. I’d say the Packers did well. 

Bears overspent a little on a replacement level player. It is what it is. No hard feelings.

My point is great players have bad plays, not sure how that lofted over your head.

He is a top 10 safety who grades out as a top ten safety and is paid less than a top ten safety. I’d say the Packers did well. 

Bears overspent a little on a replacement level player. It is what it is. No hard feelings.
Nah, you're changing the argument to fit your agenda....all players mess up. Sure.  But when it's continually without Eddie Jackson...it should make you think. Then when it's in the biggest game of his career...not good either.

Amos is fine as a Robin. He's not Batman...no matter how much money GB throws at him.

Nah, you're changing the argument to fit your agenda....all players mess up. Sure.  But when it's continually without Eddie Jackson...it should make you think. Then when it's in the biggest game of his career...not good either.

Amos is fine as a Robin. He's not Batman...no matter how much money GB throws at him.
He didn't continually mess up without Eddie Jackson.  Unfortunately there aren't too many Batman's available in free agency and the Packers did the best they could, believe me he's an upgrade over Ha Ha. What do you suggest they do with all the cap money they had available this year?  Based on TT's recent draft history they didn't have a ton of their own guys to pay so going out and signing 3 of the top 25 available free agents (at positions of need) and young guys to boot seems like a good plan. Not sure what your looking for here?

My agenda? I have no agenda. I am happy with the Amos signing. You seem to be upset about the fact you signed a poor player to replace him. I don’t know what to tell you.

I focus on the Packers signings. Can I go to the Bears thread and laugh at the money they gave Buster Skrine? Could I poke fun at the Bears for signing Cordarrelle Patterson to a bad contract? Can I laugh that some fans think Ha Ha Clinton Dix is a bargain?  Could I point out that after a plethora of atrocious FAa signings the last two years that Chicago won’t be able to keep their young core? Absolutely but why? I prefer to discuss Packers signings here.

Users who are viewing this thread