What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (4 Viewers)

Hoping he learned from the early mistakes of forcing things to Watson…and just keep spreading it out to Reed and Wicks and Melton, and Kraft…

Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Romeo Doubs, Dontayvion Wicks, Luke Musgrave, and Tucker Kraft have a combined cap hit next year of ~$11.1 million.

Allen Lazard's cap hit next year is ~$13.2 million.
I have a ton to say about this weird season and roster developments and when I have time I will write my thoughts (I mean I can write a novel on why I was wrong about Jordan Love).

As to this post - the Packers honestly do not have to do a thing regarding their receivers/tight ends next year. It is a really good group with players that haven’t even reached their ceiling yet. Never in a million years would I have thought I would write that.

For the first time in several years, I am really optimistic about this roster. There are fixable holes on defense but there is a solid nucleus of young talent here.

Hoping he learned from the early mistakes of forcing things to Watson…and just keep spreading it out to Reed and Wicks and Melton, and Kraft…

I'm really getting the feeling that the coaching staff wanted him to force it to Watson and he wanted to spread it around. That was the feeling I got as a Watson GM in dynasty. Just watching the body language of Love when they would break the huddle and stuff like that. Looked like he was beat if he thought Watson was his first read. That's really wildly speculative, but it's what I saw.

I think he's at his best when he's able to have his first read be somebody who gets open quickly rather than having it be a late developing play from the outset. It might not be Watson but rather the play design itself. He's shown he can hang with his reads through and until pressured, but I get the feeling he's more comfortable with plays where the read is designed to be open quickly rather than open later. And who isn't?

Either way, he's been really good. I'm impressed.

I wonder if there's something to be said for not having a true #1 WR but having 4 legit #2 WRs with strong tight-end play. Teams are successful with this model. New England and NYG won Super Bowls with it, KC and Baltimore currently navigate it (Flowers is on his way though).

Thinking of Aaron, I keep thinking to how he kept looking for Devonta in the 49er playoff loss at the expense of hitting open receivers. That needed to change, and I guess that meant those players needed to leave. I think I prefer what we have now to what we had then. Something to be said for balance and youth.

The Packers have hired Jeff Hafley as defensive coordinator. Considered a surprise choice, Hafley was not publicly rumored to have interviewed for any NFL jobs this year as far as I know. He was head coach at Boston College the past 4 seasons, and before that coached with Ohio State. In the pros he has previously been a defensive backs coach with TB, CLE, SF.

For the record (i.e. so we can get mad about it later), here are the known interviewees for DC prior to this move:
  • Brandon Staley - SF hired him as assistant head coach
  • Bobby Babich - BUF promoted him to DC
  • Aden Durde - SEA hired him as DC
  • Christian Parker - PHI hired him as defensive backs coach
  • Dennard Wilson - TEN hired him as DC
  • Zach Orr - BAL promoted him to DC

Last edited:
Its a wait and see with any hire. On the surface, I like that he seems philosophically opposed to Barry’s passive style of defense. People who have coached with him or played for him seem to speak highly of him. Head coach experience that shoes he can command the whole room and keep Lafleur focused on the offense. And he has coached with some of go i like the defensive results they have had (mainly Salah).

Concerns…even in today’s world of playing so much nickel, his base would more of a 4-3 and not sure how our personnel align with that. Definitely don’t think we have a safety to play his preferred style at this point.

Its a wait and see with any hire. On the surface, I like that he seems philosophically opposed to Barry’s passive style of defense. People who have coached with him or played for him seem to speak highly of him. Head coach experience that shoes he can command the whole room and keep Lafleur focused on the offense. And he has coached with some of go i like the defensive results they have had (mainly Salah).

Concerns…even in today’s world of playing so much nickel, his base would more of a 4-3 and not sure how our personnel align with that. Definitely don’t think we have a safety to play his preferred style at this point.
Read an article somewhere that said we played nickel more than 50% of the time anyway, so the base D doesn’t really matter. Biggest issue is we need a safety who can handle the speed and coverage skills to play single-high safety scheme that he prefers.

Love that he typically wants to play aggressive, press man-to-man coverage. Watching Barry continually go with either zone (which the players seemed to struggle with) or man-to-man with a 10-yard cushion was just maddening.

Packers active on day 1?

Josh Jacobs and Xavier McKinney brought in.
Unfortunately Aaron Jones will be gone. Will miss that guy, what he brings as a leader on and off the field.

McKinney deal looks more than I expected GB to pay a safety.

Draft now seems wide open and as likely they go OL than a defensive player (though still need more LBs).

Really hate paying a safety that much money. And we will find out now who is better — A Jones or J Jacobs. Think we will find out it is Jones…..gonna miss that dude.

Really hate paying a safety that much money. And we will find out now who is better — A Jones or J Jacobs. Think we will find out it is Jones…..gonna miss that dude.
I'm crushed to see Jones go. Such a high-character guy who seemed to add a lot to the franchise and locker room.

I'll push back on you a bit, though, @Alex P Keaton . While it is possible (perhaps even likely) Jones is better than Jacobs, I'm not sure the difference is huge...and Jacobs has 3+ years of age benefit over Jones plus Jones' injuries and cap hit were tough to invest in at his age.

Sad day with Showtyme and #69 gone. We all loved those guys. Runyan Jr. not on the same level but I appreciated his time in GB and he was so emotional at his locker after the season it also hurts.

With Campbell, Bakhtiari and Jones cut loose, the Packers' only player older than 30 right now is Preston Smith.

I'm pretty surprised by today's cash splash. Josh Jacobs is a player you legitimately want to handle 300+ touches, which GB's offense hasn't appeared built for in recent years (it's been over a decade since Eddie Lacy last did it). Good YAC receiver, runs power up the gut for TDs, gets to the edge quickly. Jones is still a valuable player and I wish he wasn't leaving... but Jacobs is faster, stronger and only one season removed from a performance far above what Jones can offer at this point. The flipside of that is you're paying for All-Pro production in Jacobs basically at market price. The Packers must agree with the appraisal of the 2024 RB draft class as a weak one. It may be difficult to get "value" out of Jacobs at this price point but it's worth it if he increases the efficiency of the running game. GB only had 10 rushing TDs in 2023 and Jordan Love scored 4 of them.

For all the free agent safeties available this year I was really only looking at Geno Stone, Kamren Curl and Xavier McKinney as the other options are 30+ and/or just not very exciting. Not expecting GB would sign McKinney, when I looked into him he seemed like a solid player but not exceedingly good at anything. This chonky contract indicates the Packers expect McKinney hasn't reached his peak yet and is the perfect fit for Jeff Hafley's defense. Again, it's possible the Packers don't love the top safety prospects in this year's draft (presumably Kamren Kinchens and Tyler Nubin). But now they don't strictly have to draft one.

I'm not doing a mock draft because who cares. However, because I think OL is the way to go this year, I do have these two predictions:
  • Round 1: (#25 overall) - Tyler Guyton (OT, Oklahoma) - adding Guyton at RT allows the Packers to potentially move Zach Tom to an interior position.
  • Round 3: (#88 or #91 overall) - Brandon Coleman (OL, TCU) - played more LT as a senior and wasn't very good, but has played well at guard. Reflects all the measurables of a likely GB pick.

i mean how many times have we all been mad after a draft and then two years later been like man these brohans know what they are doing im just sayin take that to the bank

You're not wrong my friend, however I feel like they could have gotten this dude with their first pick in the second round, landing DeJean in the first. We shall see

Users who are viewing this thread