What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Email from commish - advice received and commish exiled (2 Viewers)

Maybe it's just me but those "Activity Rules" seem like the basic level of participation that a serious dynasty owner should be providing.  So he wants you to visit the site regularly, respond to trade offers in 3 days, and vote on league polls?  What a monster.
That’s correct.  The activity rules were evidently in response to one owner who wasn’t taking the league as seriously, didn’t engage in trading, and also happened to have zeke, 1.01, dalvin cook, and Freeman.  The owner was removed this past offseason.  It may have been justified (guy failed to set a lineup twice) but I think it’s undeniable that part of it was petty jealousy. I say that because when the commish notifies us of his removal he wrote “some of you might not like this decision but I don’t care.” Weird thing is that guy was a friend of HIS.

Makes me wonder who these new rules were in response to. Next rule will be a rule prohibiting owners of requesting to vote on new rules.

I’m not sure if he’s still stepping down.  He posted a poll so we could vote.  Currently 6-3 against his idea.

I still remember all the other owners freaking out when I dealt Priest Holmes and Eric Moulds for Randy Moss Moss's rookie year in a dynasty league. All the other owners freaked out saying that I ripped off my brother. Turns out that Priest Holmes made that trade pretty solid for my brother.

That’s correct.  The activity rules were evidently in response to one owner who wasn’t taking the league as seriously, didn’t engage in trading, and also happened to have zeke, 1.01, dalvin cook, and Freeman.  The owner was removed this past offseason.  It may have been justified (guy failed to set a lineup twice) but I think it’s undeniable that part of it was petty jealousy. I say that because when the commish notifies us of his removal he wrote “some of you might not like this decision but I don’t care.” Weird thing is that guy was a friend of HIS.

Makes me wonder who these new rules were in response to. Next rule will be a rule prohibiting owners of requesting to vote on new rules.

I’m not sure if he’s still stepping down.  He posted a poll so we could vote.  Currently 6-3 against his idea.
6-3 against he must be furious.

That's one nice thing about large leagues. There's enough active owners to keep things going, you can ignore the bad offers and owners who tend to make bad offers, and you usually get a response fairly quickly from most owners which keeps others active.

It gets old when that's the only thing a guy sends and they send a few a week. I played with one league with a guy named shady who would also taunt people and tell you off for rejecting them. Like I say it gets old after a few months.
So rather than deal with the issue at hand, you penalize the entire league?  Seems like a terrible way to run something.

So rather than deal with the issue at hand, you penalize the entire league?  Seems like a terrible way to run something.
I said I didn’t agree with penalties. Jesus, somebody said they don’t know why people dislike low ballers and I was answering him. Please read or don’t respond.

This is starting to sound like a league I quit about 3 years ago. I literally joined and quit long before the season started. He was very against bad trades and started making activity rules as well. Some other stuff happened and when I quit I got some serious crazy/rage emails after.

Was this league named after an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm?
He said earlier the leagues were named Waterboy and HKL

Emails like this make ff so dorky. Big deal - insulting trade offers. Reject and move on. To have rules on trade offers is just ridiculous. 

Someone needs to tell this commish to get out of his parents basement and get a girlfriend.  Also tell him that all those computer monitors in the basement isn't his control center.

I didn't read all the responses but read the initial post and the message from the commissioner is almost laughable. I would be curious how long the OP has been part of this league and how it has been in the past. I hope the commissioner just hadn't really thought about what a bad idea his suggested new rule would be and he can realize this and scrap this and come up with something new. If a rule like this went into place I too would leave the league. That is just crazy talk.

The commissioner of the dynasty league I'm in sent out the email below. How would you respond to something like this?  I've already responded, but I'm wondering whether I went too far with my response, if I should backtrack/apologize/etc.  

Sup,

It seems like we are still having a hard time with initial trade offers being "fair." Based on what I see and what people tell me, I would agree that there are a lot of bull#### initial offers. At this juncture, everyone has his own reputation as a fantasy owner, save Aaron and Scott. No one in this league is an idiot, but I agree that some owners seem to believe the trade recipient is a complete ####### moron. I have also heard from each side that the fact we don't know each other well is problematic. I don't know how to fix that. What I can do is lay out some guidelines that people won't like, but that I also don't think should be hard to achieve/follow.

1. Use this trade calculator as a baseline for initial offers . . . . http://www.dynastyfftools.com/tools/calculator

2. If your initial offer does not reach the 90% fairness, I will dock you $50 in blind-bid money

3. If your initial offer does not reach the 90% fairness a second time, I will dock you $100.

4. If your initial offer does not reach the 90% fairness a third time, you will be removed from the league. This will accumulate over time and does not reset at the end of each season.

5. Don't ask someone if they are willing to trade (insert player), and then expect them to make you an offer. If you are interested, use the calculator and present a fair offer.

6. Not all offers are made through MFL. If you receive a crappy offer via text or email, you have to let me know so I know how to respond. 

If you don't like this approach, I don't care. I really want this league to continue, but I don't want it to continue if we can't make fair offers. We obviously don't all agree on value but, if we work off the same calculator as a starting point, we can have a better discussion of value as trade discussions progress.

Peace,

Jeff
Maybe it's just me, but here's how I would have responded:

Sup, 

It seems like we're still having a hard time with commissioners who need to exert power over their leagues in order to compensate for shortcomings in, ahem, other areas.  I don't know how to fix that. What I can do is lay out some guidelines that people -- specifically the commissioner -- won't like, but that I also don't think should be hard to achieve/follow.

1. Use this ##### Calculator as a baseline to calculate how douchey your proposed unilateral rule change is: www.iamatotaldouche.com/calculator
  2. If your proposed rule hits 90% on the #####-o-meter, I will dock you $50 in cash
  3. If it happens a second time ... eh, screw it, I'll just kick you out of the league the first time it happens.
If you don't like this approach, I don't care, because you will have been mathematically proven to be a #####.

Peace

I agree we want fair trades, but 90% is ridiculous.  As an example, Alvin Kamara would have been much less valuable on the calculator for the first couple months of the season as he was unknown, even though he was putting up great numbers. :drive:   This is common every year.  So the people who actually watch all the games and realize he is more valuable than Jordan Howard or Lamar Miller wouldn’t be able to make a trade because Alvin Kamara wouldn’t be in the 90% threshold, even though he ended up with a better season. :no:    The 90% needs to be significantly lower, if used at all.  Common sense should really be adequate to see if a trade is violating the integrity of the league. :thumbup:   

Maybe you could turn this into a redraft league, everyone draws their draft slot and you can just build the teams based on ADP? That way nobody would do any of that crazy reaching for a guy when there was a better player on the board. Crazy.

I don't think you are entirely wrong.  My issue is that he just keeps making up rules to appease the whiny owner(s).  I've repeatedly said that we should have a vote and he gets butt hurt and asks why I have an issue with such an obviously great rule.  Last year, he made up the "activity rules" without vote:

Activity Rules

Since dynasty leagues are for the serious owners, all owners are expected to be active year round.

Owners should check the site once a week during the off-season.

Owners should check in at least once a day during the regular season and during the rookie draft.

Owners should vote for each poll on the league homepage.

Owners should participate in league discussion through email and/or league message board.

Owners should respond to trade offers within three days.

All owners should select the option to receive an email notification and the option to have a message sent to their cell phone.

If you just have to get away, please post a message on the homepage letting everyone know how long you will be gone and when the league can expect you back in action.

The first time an owner is in violation of any of these rules, he will be docked 
$50 of blind bidding money.

The second time an owner is in violation of these rules, he will be docked 
$100 of blind bidding money.

The third infraction will result in removal from the league.

Infractions do not reset at the end of the season.

If an owner is removed from the league for any violation of league rules or by 
his own choice, the commissioner will take charge of that team until a 
replacement owner is found and approved.

The commissioner will not perform any transactions on behalf of the abandoned team and the lineup will be entered based on the 4for4.com cheat sheet for that week.
This seems like a way someone's wife would run a league.  You must answer me or you will pay dearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or with a (how do you show a giving you the middle finger emotican?). Seeing the rules from last year I would have packed my bags and left already after this one.

I don't think you are entirely wrong.  My issue is that he just keeps making up rules to appease the whiny owner(s).  I've repeatedly said that we should have a vote and he gets butt hurt and asks why I have an issue with such an obviously great rule.  Last year, he made up the "activity rules" without vote:

Activity Rules

Since dynasty leagues are for the serious owners, all owners are expected to be active year round.

Owners should check the site once a week during the off-season.

Owners should check in at least once a day during the regular season and during the rookie draft.

Owners should vote for each poll on the league homepage.

Owners should participate in league discussion through email and/or league message board.

Owners should respond to trade offers within three days.

All owners should select the option to receive an email notification and the option to have a message sent to their cell phone.

If you just have to get away, please post a message on the homepage letting everyone know how long you will be gone and when the league can expect you back in action.

The first time an owner is in violation of any of these rules, he will be docked 
$50 of blind bidding money.

The second time an owner is in violation of these rules, he will be docked 
$100 of blind bidding money.

The third infraction will result in removal from the league.

Infractions do not reset at the end of the season.

If an owner is removed from the league for any violation of league rules or by 
his own choice, the commissioner will take charge of that team until a 
replacement owner is found and approved.

The commissioner will not perform any transactions on behalf of the abandoned team and the lineup will be entered based on the 4for4.com cheat sheet for that week.
  :X You either have a league of good owners or you don't.  Can't micro-manage people into being a good owner.

:lmao:  at the bolded.  Oh, and "activity rules" sounds like something on the wall in a kindergarten room.

@oldmanhawkins

Update?  You dropped right?
I would imagine he dropped, assuming the league didn't fold before he had the chance.  Judging from the commissioner's tone in the email, I can't imagine him the type who will listen to sound reasoning and adjust his stance.

@oldmanhawkins

Update?  You dropped right?
Commish stepped down officially.  Another owner stepped up and will assume non-financial duties.  I’m goinng to handle the monies.  Ex Commish paypal’d me the funds this morning.  I replied “great timing, I’m at the Audi dealership.”  I had to stick it to him once more, he couldn’t admit the calculator was flawed even after I offered him Rawls for McKinnon which was 92% fair but still in his favor.

UPDATE:

It occurred to me that this might be an April fools joke, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Commish stepped down after my email.  I was thinking I should apologize to him.  After all, he does put a lot of time in running the leagues.  Guy has three kids under 3 and I think he is starting to lose his ####.  But after re-reading his last few emails to the league he’s just an arrogant SOB and I’m happy he’s out.
Dude sounds like a clown. I'm in a keeper league and we stopped doing trades year round since we all belonged to a baseball board and no one really was told hey check the league often during the offseason. Two trades by one of our managers were made lopsided in his favor and he ended up with 3 first round picks 2 he never should've had. We talked about it on the board and set up a vote to allow or disallow trades in the league during the off season which we voted to not allow. Our first commish stepped down after some drama. A trade I made with someone was vetoed multiple times. The owners thought we colluded do to having co manage a baseball team same board together and even with my helpful explanation people still turned it down. Either way we ended up with a new commish and we go over rules prior to any offseason moves before our draft. We then send the Commish an email individually on if we have anything to discuss league wise and set for a vote. After rec all emails he picks the most popular topics for vote for that year. We vote on them and whatever the vote is thats final. When we have a tie we just keep the current rule and put in the reminder for next year we can vote on it again if we want. makes things a lot easier. Honestly if the dude didn't step down I think you all should've colluded made your own league, selected a commish and didn't tell him then on draft night no one shows up and mass email quite of the dude. Doesn't sound like someone I'd want running one of my leagues thats for sure. 

He's absolutely entirely wrong.  A commish doesn't arbitrarily drop in rules, ever.  If the owners don't think there's a problem then there's not a problem.  He also doesn't allow rules that have a total BS implementation like that - it took all of three posts to thoroughly debunk the "value" that the calculator was supposed to bring.  He also doesn't put his opinion in the middle of where it's not welcome.  Judging initial offer quality is absolute horse####.  First of all it's just a first offer, it doesn't mean anything, it can just be a way to ping a guy about your interest.  Second of all it's none of his business who trades for what unless cheating is involved.
Totally agree here. I've had Gronk in one of my leagues since it started. We only keep 4 per yer. I dangled him on the trade block to see what I could get. As expected I got many way below the belt offers. Almost insulting for the guy. I decided to keep him. One of the offers I did like one of the players offered my way. I told the guy I wouldn't trade Gronk for him but I wanted to know what sort of value he was putting on the player. He told me what he was looking for. After numerous discussions and trade offers each and counters we ended up with a 6 player trade with another owner involved plus picks. So the dudes ####ty offer for Gronk ended up being a totally completely different trade when all said and done. I know most offers I get in my league is not a final offer. Very rarely should a person accept the first offer someone gives them. 

If there was some sort of problem and the Commish thought tanking was involved here and he made that clear in the email I don't think anyone should have a problem with said owner being removed. If someone is tanking they should be removed. Also was this guy a little new to this sort of fantasy set up? maybe he was hesitant on some moves and such? I know when I first did fantasy I didn't engage as much as I was new and still learning. Baseball I didn't really know how to set a line up till almost the end of the first season pitchers wise. I ended up with a co manager by the 2nd year to guide me along and by Year 4 I was on my own doing well and made the final. 

Users who are viewing this thread