Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Dwayne Haskins, PIT


Faust

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

fixed. dont put it past the Raiders to take Haskins. Even TB. Teams 4, 5, 6 ,7, 10, 11 all could use a young/future qb...

 

This is amazing news for the Jets 

Tampa isn't taking him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2019 at 11:00 AM, Faust said:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Redskins are "very much intrigued" by Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins.

The Jets at No. 3 overall are reportedly open for business and would be more than willing to trade out of that spot after landing Sam Darnold last year. The Redskins are said to be one of the prime candidates to come up should Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa go Nos. 1 and 2 in the draft. Washington's quarterback situation is bleak with Case Keenum and Colt McCoy on year-by-year deals and Alex Smith (leg) unlikely to play again. The Skins would seemingly have to leap the Raiders and Giants at Nos. 4 and 6 overall for a chance at Haskins.

As a Raider fan, this would be my absolute dream situation. Land Allen and don't look back.

8 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

dont put it past the Raiders to take Haskins.

As a Raider fan, this would be my absolute nightmare situation. Burn my jerseys and don't look back.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gruden has never had much interest in grooming a rookie QB unless it was out of necessity. 

The guy passed up Aaron Rodgers so he could start Bruce Gradkowski and Luke McCown. 

He’s also never been on a ten year contract though. Maybe he learned his lesson in 2005?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins is the top-rated QB on Mel Kiper Jr.'s big board.

Haskins is ranked fifth, one spot ahead of Oklahoma QB and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray. "Haskins never gets rattled, and he excels in big moments," Kiper wrote in his analysis. "He's far from a finished product, but his high ceiling flashes on tape." While the Buckeye may not be in the conversation with Murray when it comes to possibilities for Arizona (first overall pick), he is projected to go at some point in the top half of Round 1. The Giants (6th overall), Broncos (10th) and Dolphins (13th) are three teams with a quarterback need to address that will be drafting in that range.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 28, 2019, 9:05 AM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't realize the Ravens had only 1 pick in the first 84.

It seems that DeCosta and Harbs are targeting WR with their first round pick and they want a guy who can come in right away and be an effective blocker.

Quote

 

General manager Eric DeCosta said earlier this week that he didn't see free agency as a way to help the Ravens at wide receiver this year. He believes the best way is the draft, but Baltimore currently has just one of the first 84 picks this year.

Harbaugh agreed that the transition for wide receivers from college to the NFL is a difficult one because of the nuances of running routes and the difficulty to get open against more talented cornerbacks. But ...

"There’s always a rookie or two every year that proves it wrong," Harbaugh said. "I think hopefully we’ll get that rookie."

 

Oops wrong thread.  

Edited by Bracie Smathers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Faust said:

That one was dated a bit.

----------------------------------------

By: Evan Thorpe and Steven Ruiz | February 27, 2019 1:51 pm

--------------------------------------

I checked the date after they mentioned him going to the Giants with OBJ.

I like Haskins.  He reads fronts and has a good feel for pressure, he is able to go through progressions and can buy time with his knowledge of the game.  

The bar is low but he is the best OSU QB prospect and I think he makes it in the NFL.  His ceiling is low because he has no mobility but he is going to surprise people IMHO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

That one was dated a bit.

----------------------------------------

By: Evan Thorpe and Steven Ruiz | February 27, 2019 1:51 pm

--------------------------------------

I checked the date after they mentioned him going to the Giants with OBJ.

I like Haskins.  He reads fronts and has a good feel for pressure, he is able to go through progressions and can buy time with his knowledge of the game.  

The bar is low but he is the best OSU QB prospect and I think he makes it in the NFL.  His ceiling is low because he has no mobility but he is going to surprise people IMHO.

 

You are correct that the article was originally published a little over one month ago; however, I thought that there was still some value in posting the link as the evaluations that they made of Haskins as a quarterback prospect from their film study were interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Todd Haley is not a fan.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/02/film-room-scouting-report-dwayne-haskins-ohio-state

COACH: Todd Haley
Former Head Coach, Kansas City Chiefs; Offensive Coordinator, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals

Strengths: Size, short accuracy, quick release, quick passing game, level of competition, protects the ball.

Weaknesses: Deep accuracy, don’t see many NFL throws, one-year starter, doesn’t see coverage, all shotgun, average athlete, can’t extend plays, minus runner, below-average drops/footwork

Player Comp: Jacoby Brissett.

Ideal landing spot: A west coast offense—progression passing game

Can he be a starter in 2019?: I would bet against him starting early. He had arguably best offensive line in college football, and a good supporting cast with a proven system. I believe the jump to the NFL will be a big one for him and he will be game manager-type early. I just didn’t see enough NFL throws on tape. And so much success was created by the system. He has shown the baseline skill set to be a successful one-year starter in college against a high level of competition, he shows very good short accuracy and the ability to be a progression passer. However he lacks downfield accuracy on tape and I don’t see him make many NFL throws. So it will take time and development.

Potential to become a franchise QB: I just didn’t see enough big-time plays to get real excited about him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, LAUNCH said:

can’t extend plays

Disagree with Haley and others who parrot this sentiment.

He extends plays due to his pre-snap reads of fronts and recognizing pressure.  THAT extends a play before it begins and after it begins he has ability to side-step and step-up in the pocket to avoid pressure.  

Haley and others are being very pedantic in only thinking a QB can extend plays with superior athleticism or by being physical.  Tom Brady isn't mobile or athletic or physically imposing but he has the ability to extend plays and so does Haskins.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that the Oakland Raiders spent "extensive" time with Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins on Monday and worked him out on Tuesday.

Recent reports from Ian Rapoport stated that the Raiders are "evaluating Haskins and Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray against Derek Carr." Seems like Oakland is going deep in that evaluation. The Raiders have three first-round picks, but if they're going to get Haskins, it seems extremely likely they'd need to use that fourth pick on the Ohio State signal-caller. This is going to be an interesting final three-plus weeks, as it appears that the quarterback class is gaining momentum.

SOURCE: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Apr 2, 2019, 4:56 PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Crap, dude may not even last to the Giants. A lot of smoke coming up that teams are interested in leapfrogging into the Top 5 for Haskins.

That would be so awesome. The Jets could just sit and smile about that. That's right, we'll take your one and your two, thanks. We'll just get nice and deep on defense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Crap, dude may not even last to the Giants. A lot of smoke coming up that teams are interested in leapfrogging into the Top 5 for Haskins.

No way the Giants select a QB at 6th.  They are locked in one of DL guys.    Perhaps the 17th pick or 2nd round.  Heard Giants are interested in Lock .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stlrams said:

No way the Giants select a QB at 6th.  They are locked in one of DL guys.    Perhaps the 17th pick or 2nd round.  Heard Giants are interested in Lock .

I don’t totally buy this, but I don’t think it’s going to matter.  Due to the importance of finding a franchise QB, I’m going to be pretty surprised if Haskins is still available at 6.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

I don’t totally buy this, but I don’t think it’s going to matter.  Due to the importance of finding a franchise QB, I’m going to be pretty surprised if Haskins is still available at 6.  

One question, though: At what point, when you decide he might or might not be a franchise guy, do you take him because of the importance of the position?  I think that's the rub, really. And I think a lot of teams sink their fortunes into somebody who isn't that great and wind up stinted for a few years because of it.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

One question, though: At what point, when you decide he might or might not be a franchise guy, do you take him because of the importance of the position?  I think that's the rub, really. And I think a lot of teams sink their fortunes into somebody who isn't that great and wind up stinted for a few years because of it.    

Absolutely they do.  I don’t have an answer about “at what point you take him,” but I’d argue that if you feel more strongly than not that someone like Haskins can be that guy, that you take him and pray like hell.  Sure it can stick a team into a bit of rebuild purgatory when you miss, but if you hit ala Watson or Mahommes then you’re in the hunt for a decade.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Absolutely they do.  I don’t have an answer about “at what point you take him,” but I’d argue that if you feel more strongly than not that someone like Haskins can be that guy, that you take him and pray like hell.  Sure it can stick a team into a bit of rebuild purgatory when you miss, but if you hit ala Watson or Mahommes then you’re in the hunt for a decade.  

As for the bolded -- absolutely. Hitting on Watson and Mahomes took some real foresight. My team, the Jets, took a safety before Mahomes. He's great, but oof.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment that Haskins won't last very long. I think somebody moves up to get him, too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

I don’t totally buy this, but I don’t think it’s going to matter.  Due to the importance of finding a franchise QB, I’m going to be pretty surprised if Haskins is still available at 6.  

I agree with Rockaction - all the QB's this year are way overvalued.  Therefore, the NYG will draft BPA at 6 thus no QB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

QBs will always be overvalued if the NFL remains pass happy.  

Yeah but NYG are notorious for BPA approach to draft so they will not reach IMHO.  Leave it to the other teams to trade up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, stlrams said:

Yeah but NYG are notorious for BPA approach to draft so they will not reach IMHO. 

I don’t know how you can legitimately make this assessment of the NY Giants.  Maybe they are notorious for BPA for every position sans QB, but I don’t know how you can assess if that holds true at QB considering they haven’t needed one for fifteen years.  But that franchise is nearing the point where they need a QB, and by default QB is almost never truely the BPA at any point in the draft.  So at some stage if you want a franchise QB, you’re going to have to forgo the better “football player” and gamble on the QB.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rockaction said:

That would be so awesome. The Jets could just sit and smile about that. That's right, we'll take your one and your two, thanks. We'll just get nice and deep on defense.  

Right back at you from Oakland.  I'll take whoever is left of Bosa and Allen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

I don’t know how you can legitimately make this assessment of the NY Giants.  Maybe they are notorious for BPA for every position sans QB, but I don’t know how you can assess if that holds true at QB considering they haven’t needed one for fifteen years.  But that franchise is nearing the point where they need a QB, and by default QB is almost never truely the BPA at any point in the draft.  So at some stage if you want a franchise QB, you’re going to have to forgo the better “football player” and gamble on the QB.  

I believe the Giants would have cut Eli and not pay him roster bonus if they are committed to drafting QB especially at 6.  This tells me they are not in love with any of the QB's but could draft one at 17 or 2nd round...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

They passed on Watson also in that same draft.

And during that same pre-draft process there were a lot of negatives being brought up about those players.  If you need a QB, and there's one available who looks like he can play even at an average level, you should take them every time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stlrams said:

Yeah but NYG are notorious for BPA approach to draft so they will not reach IMHO.  Leave it to the other teams to trade up.

To be fair, BPA was mainly attributed to Jerry Reese; a guy who was notorious for reaching. I don't think any Giants fan knows what Gettleman's MO is (including me), and it's made worse because many of the Giants talent evaluators didn't come with Gettleman, they're from other regimes (Coughlin and McAdoo). So it's a lot of different philosophies trying to coalesce.

 

Also, there's no way Lock lasts until 17. Giants are either in on Haskins, trading for Rosen, or they're not getting a QB.

Edited by The Frankman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

To be fair, BPA was mainly attributed to Jerry Reese; a guy who was notorious for reaching. I don't think any Giants fan knows what Gettleman's MO is (including me), and it's made worse because many of the Giants talent evaluators didn't come with Gettleman, they're from other regimes (Coughlin and McAdoo). So it's a lot of different philosophies trying to coalesce.

Thought the bpa started with George young.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bucksoh said:

Takes to long to read the defense.   Might turn out to be good but he is going to get drafted high and more than likely thrown to the wolves, he'll fail.  If given time to develop could be really good.

For most of the teams he's mocked to, he'd sit a year (Giants, Washington)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

I don’t know how you can legitimately make this assessment of the NY Giants.  Maybe they are notorious for BPA for every position sans QB, but I don’t know how you can assess if that holds true at QB considering they haven’t needed one for fifteen years.  But that franchise is nearing the point where they need a QB, and by default QB is almost never truely the BPA at any point in the draft.  So at some stage if you want a franchise QB, you’re going to have to forgo the better “football player” and gamble on the QB.  

This.:goodposting:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NBC Sports' Peter King hears Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins is "sinking" and "may be the fourth passer picked in this draft."

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein had a similar report over the weekend, writing Haskins' perceived draft stock has been "more media created than team driven." Expected to be the second quarterback off the board behind Oklahoma's Kyler Murray for most of the process, it now appears as if Missouri's Drew Lock and Duke's Daniel Jones have a real shot of jumping Haskins on draft day. It would be a surprise if all four are not selected on Day 1.

SOURCE: Football Morning in America

Apr 8, 2019, 8:10 AM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In his latest mock draft, The Athletic's Dane Brugler pegged Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins to the Cincinnati Bengals with the No. 11 pick.

This pick has started to see a little momentum in mock drafts, as NFL Media's Charles Davis likewise projected Haskins to the Bengals in his own early April mock draft. Haskins has long been linked to the New York Giants (in rumor if nothing else), but it's possible that New York passes on him to focus on another position before later taking a quarterback with the No. 17 pick. Brugler, for instance, mocks them Duke's Daniel Jones with that latter pick.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 8, 2019, 10:43 AM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

NBC Sports' Peter King hears Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins is "sinking" and "may be the fourth passer picked in this draft."

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein had a similar report over the weekend, writing Haskins' perceived draft stock has been "more media created than team driven." Expected to be the second quarterback off the board behind Oklahoma's Kyler Murray for most of the process, it now appears as if Missouri's Drew Lock and Duke's Daniel Jones have a real shot of jumping Haskins on draft day. It would be a surprise if all four are not selected on Day 1.

SOURCE: Football Morning in America

Apr 8, 2019, 8:10 AM

Peter king is ungood....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins told the Eleven Warriors' Dan Hope that he will visit the New York Giants this upcoming week.

The Giants were reportedly barely scouting Haskins earlier in the process, but it would have been crazy to not bring in one of the top quarterback prospects in for a visit with Eli Manning aging. Despite throwing 50 touchdowns at Ohio State last season, reports have surfaced that Haskins' draft stock is lower than most believe, so the Giants theoretically could still be a suitor for Haskins if they stick with drafting a defender with the 6th overall pick.

SOURCE: Dan Hope on Twitter

Apr 14, 2019, 2:21 PM

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Faust changed the title to QB Dwayne Haskins, PIT

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...