What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIII Thread - PATRIOTS vs. RAMS *** (3 Viewers)

This precise logic was used to explain why the Packers were gonna destroy the Denver Broncos, their mammoth line against Denver's undersized line.
Same thing happened when Pitt last played Dallas in 96. I remember  Kevin Green being told how big that offense was and he was like “yeah right but we’re fast.” You remember how that went? 10point win for Dallas.

is this the quietest SB thread ever? it seems the interest for this one is at an all time low. I hear more about those weeping Saints then I do about anything for this game. Seems strange
Yeah true man. And I can’t believe I’m in here posting about why I think NE will clobber the Rams. What the hell,is wrong with me....

is this the quietest SB thread ever? it seems the interest for this one is at an all time low. I hear more about those weeping Saints then I do about anything for this game. Seems strange
yep, interest at all time low, America is bored with the pats, but generally their games are close.

Goff (Career): 
24-14 / 772 comp / 9581 yds / 65TD

Brady (Playoffs):
29-10 / 984 comp / 10917yds / 73TD

Brady has bested Goff’s career... in the playoffs 😂 

Goff (Career): 
24-14 / 772 comp / 9581 yds / 65TD

Brady (Playoffs):
29-10 / 984 comp / 10917yds / 73TD

Brady has bested Goff’s career... in the playoffs 😂 
Brady has more career playoff starts than the QB's from 10 teams have regular season starts (BUF, NYJ, BAL, CLE, HOU, KCC, CHI, LAR, SFO, ARI) with Wentz of PHI being a tie after the SB (40 starts). Depending upon who ends up where next year and the draft, that number could end up going a bit higher by the time the regular season rolls around.

Legitimately, I'm surprised that hardly anyone one has talked about Goff's splits this season.

Goff in the regular season, when Kupp was in the lineup (10 games): 227/332 (68.37%), 313.4 Y/G, 2.2 TD/G, 0.6 Int/G, 113.0 PR, 9.95 AY/A. That's in the same range as Mahomes and Brees.

Goff in the regular season, without Kupp in the lineup (6 games): 137/229 (59.83%), 259.0 Y/G, 1.7 TD/G, 1 Int/G, 83.9 PR, 6.48 AY/A. Goff in the playoffs (still no Kupp, 2 games): 40/68 (58.8%), 0.5 TD/G, 0.5 Int/G, 79.5 PR, 6.70 AY/A. That's in the same range as Bortles and Keenum.

In the back half of the season, the Rams have been winning despite Goff, not because of him. Since the start of December, Goff has had two games over 100 PR, his games against San Francisco and against Arizona: two teams who allowed over 400 points on the season who basically had nothing to play for but the top seeds. If it was Brady playing like this, we'd have pundits falling out of trees to deliver their "is Brady finally finished" hot takes.

Legitimately, I'm surprised that hardly anyone one has talked about Goff's splits this season.

Goff in the regular season, when Kupp was in the lineup (10 games): 227/332 (68.37%), 313.4 Y/G, 2.2 TD/G, 0.6 Int/G, 113.0 PR, 9.95 AY/A. That's in the same range as Mahomes and Brees.

Goff in the regular season, without Kupp in the lineup (6 games): 137/229 (59.83%), 259.0 Y/G, 1.7 TD/G, 1 Int/G, 83.9 PR, 6.48 AY/A. Goff in the playoffs (still no Kupp, 2 games): 40/68 (58.8%), 0.5 TD/G, 0.5 Int/G, 79.5 PR, 6.70 AY/A. That's in the same range as Bortles and Keenum.

In the back half of the season, the Rams have been winning despite Goff, not because of him. Since the start of December, Goff has had two games over 100 PR, his games against San Francisco and against Arizona: two teams who allowed over 400 points on the season who basically had nothing to play for but the top seeds. If it was Brady playing like this, we'd have pundits falling out of trees to deliver their "is Brady finally finished" hot takes.
This has been covered a good bit in here actually. 

In 18 games this year, Brady has only been sacked by an interior defensive lineman 3 times . . . and two of those were in Week 1.

No clue about what LA will do.  NE will do what they do on O (run maybe a bit more) and take away the run on D and make Goff beat them.

LA has enough individual D talent to give Brady problems and win in that typical "this is how you beat Brady" way.

To me, this is going to come down to whether or not McVey can outcoach BB.....and I don't know about that.  

And second, Maroon 5 sucks.....I mean I guess they appeal to those I mentioned above, so I guess that's sort of the point.....meh
I'm marginally sympathetic to this point of view since Maroon 5 plays in the pop space, and pop musics sucks, but Levine has documented excellent vocal range, musical talent and business acumen...Maroon 5 has been relevant for a sustained period of time.

Exhibit A for the Defense:

If the pop aspect makes you sick, skip ahead to 3:42 for some above average thrashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2lNpixqOc

SeniorVBDStudent said:
I'm marginally sympathetic to this point of view since Maroon 5 plays in the pop space, and pop musics sucks, but Levine has documented excellent vocal range, musical talent and business acumen...Maroon 5 has been relevant for a sustained period of time.

Exhibit A for the Defense:

If the pop aspect makes you sick, skip ahead to 3:42 for some above average thrashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2lNpixqOc
My wife loves em.....I'm more of a Melvins kinda guy....if they ever did the halftime show I'd watch for sure....that ain't happenin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hearing reports from folks down there and apparently pats fans outnumber rams fans by massive amounts around the super bowl experience. This might be a fairly pro-pats crowd... 

Hearing reports from folks down there and apparently pats fans outnumber rams fans by massive amounts around the super bowl experience. This might be a fairly pro-pats crowd... 
After the game in the superdome 2 weeks ago even if it a 100% NE crowd it will be a cakewalk dealing with it. 

After the game in the superdome 2 weeks ago even if it a 100% NE crowd it will be a cakewalk dealing with it. 
No doubt it won’t be near as loud as the dome. That said the rams did have some issues with the noise, needing to modify Goff’a helmet mid game. 

FWIW, Rams are not bothering to prepare for noise... the pats are practicing with Guns N Roses blaring as per usual for Super Bowl Prep. 

I do think there’s a chance it’s more of a home game environment for NE, even if it’s not so loud as to interfere with the game. We shall see though.

Football Outsiders, with an eye-crossingly in depth statistical dive, has their model putting NE as a 50.1% favorite to win.. with caveat... 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2019/super-bowl-liii-preview

Four years ago when we previewed Super Bowl XLIX, we mentioned that it was the closest Super Bowl we had ever tracked. Now Super Bowl LIII has surpassed it. Based on the playoff odds simulation equation, which itself is based on weighted DVOA, the Patriots have a 50.1 percent chance to win this game. It would be hard to get this game closer to 50-50.

But when we look at the specific matchups, we lean a little bit in favor of the Patriots. Jared Goff's struggles over the last two months are hard to hide. The Patriots have the best pass defense that the Rams have played in the postseason. And the clearer matchup advantage comes when the Patriots have the ball. The Rams defense has improved over the same recent two months where Goff has declined, but the Rams struggled both against 21 personnel and play-action. They struggled against runs from spread-out, 11-personnel sets. The best game plan for the Patriots may be to go against type: run from their spread sets and pass from their heavier sets.”

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-friday-pool-report

Good friday practice report. Belichick seemingly upbeat and chipper. Good sign. 

Hightower seems to be recovered from the illness. Good sign. 

McDaniels has Brady and Hoyer having a punting contest (after practice when the media was present), with Hoyer winning. Foreshadowing of fake punt preparedness or just playing mind games with McVay? 

Interesting stat I’ve not heard: 

Belichick’s win rate against QB’s w/ 3 or fewer years experience: 

Reg Season: 80%
Postseason: 84% 

Most of the tickets go to a national business/sponsor group and I think the local team gets a increased share of tickets. I really question how many Patriots fans are going to the game. I'd guess it's a mostly neutral audience with a lot of Patriots haters. OTOH it just doesn't seem like there is a diehard Ram fanbase so it's probably a neutral audience, compared to last year when it was a mostly pro-Eagle audience.

Most of the tickets go to a national business/sponsor group and I think the local team gets a increased share of tickets. I really question how many Patriots fans are going to the game. I'd guess it's a mostly neutral audience with a lot of Patriots haters. OTOH it just doesn't seem like there is a diehard Ram fanbase so it's probably a neutral audience, compared to last year when it was a mostly pro-Eagle audience.
So: 

1) It can’t be a pro-pats crowd because most of the tickets go to sponsors, despite there being a ton of die-hard Pats fans in Atlanta

and 

2) It was a pro-Eagles crowd last year because they have a die-hard fanbase 

Got it.... I think :unsure:  

Pats skip final walkthrough and allow the team to bring family out onto the field for some R&R and family time before the big day. 

Lots of chatter out of NE that sounds calm, cool, and prepared. If it was any coach other than Belichick, I’d be concerned about not utilizing every moment to prepare.... but With Bill, somehow I trust him to allocate the time as what he sees best for the team. :unsure:  

Pats skip final walkthrough and allow the team to bring family out onto the field for some R&R and family time before the big day. 

Lots of chatter out of NE that sounds calm, cool, and prepared. If it was any coach other than Belichick, I’d be concerned about not utilizing every moment to prepare.... but With Bill, somehow I trust him to allocate the time as what he sees best for the team. :unsure:  
:oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread