What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (4 Viewers)

Got myself some stuff today: 2 blaster mosaics, 1 hanger, 2 hangers of donruss. 

My buddy bought a "mega" of donruss and mosaics. Gonna watch the Eagles get destroyed on Saturday while ripping these bad boys. Got lucky at a Target this AM.
What brand do you guys recommend to get your kids(young ones 7-9 range m) into it but also have some investment potential and shot at fun inserts like autographs etc? Football would be the preference or baseball/basketball if they have different options. 

What brand do you guys recommend to get your kids(young ones 7-9 range m) into it but also have some investment potential and shot at fun inserts like autographs etc? Football would be the preference or baseball/basketball if they have different options. 
Honestly--it all depends on what you are willing to spend. Wax prices are crazy high--so that will limit which products you can consider and the "investment potential" for them.  For football--if you want to open a product with your kids that actually have lots of packs and lots of base cards (so that you can teach them how to organize cards, and spend 30 minutes to an hour ripping packs)--maybe Score football hobby or Donruss football hobby (those will cost you in the 200-300 range).   If you want to avoid having a massive amount of base cards--you can also do a product like Origins football. You only get one pack per hobby box--but the cards are thicker and nicer, and you are guaranteed a couple autos (one that is on card--meaning not a sticker auto), you get a patch card, you get a couple base cards and a couple parallel inserts.  It will cost you $250-300 a box---but you'll end up with fewer but nicer cards--and if want to collect without taking up much space--its'a decent option 

With baseball--there are far more options in regards to affordability.  Allen and Ginter is a cool and quirky product.  It features mini cards, glow in the dark cards,  it features vintage inspired photography and artwork, it features non-baseball people and autos, each box has a box topper card (a large card), it even features "rip it" cards where there is a mystery mini card embedded inside of a regular size card and you can choose to keep the regular size card intact--or you can literally rip it to see the mini card inside.  It also features random cards--like literally cards that have farm animals on them--there is a "chicken" card for example.  Standard topps is also a decent product that has investment potential.  One of my favorite baseball products (albeit the investment potential is capped due to the fact that the product is only licensed by the MLB players association but not by the MLB team owners) is Optic Baseball.  Great inserts/parallels, good looking chrome finished cards, solid chance at good autos,   It's just a fun rip if you get a hobby box of it. 

@jvdesigns2002

If one really wanted to gamble on a big hit what would you suggest in the $500-1,500 per box range for football?
If you want fun and investment potential-Prizm football hobby is the "gold standard" for football cards.  They are literally what Bowman is to baseball cards. The PSA graded 10's of rookie qb's in prizm command great money--and they also have what they call silver/color parallels (they effectively are refractors).  The only issue is this--it'll run you $1000+ a box--and the ROI is a gamble. With that said--Prizm cards are soo popular that they actually sell singles on sites like StockX.   If you are willing to take the risk (and its a big one)--that's probably the product I would recommend.  

If you want my honest opinion.  If you aren't married to the notion or ripping a box and the gambling aspect of it--your best bet is probably spending $500-1500 gambling on buying singles.  Two years ago--I picked a player in baseball, football, and basketball that I wanted to "bet" on.  Basically--I looked at players that I felt had talent but that the card market was under valuing in my opinion and went on a shopping spree targeting cards for those players.  In baseball--I was buying up Jack Flaherty rookies when his cards were basically commanding very little value (like slightly more than what a common rookie would carry).   His cards have probably went up 300%-500% of what I paid for them. In basketball--the player I targeted was Shai Gilgeous Alexander.  In the year when Luka, Trae, Ayton, and Bagley were getting all of the love from the hobby--Shai stuff was cheap back then.  I invested $1500-2000 in Shai singles--and that stuff is probably worth $10K-12k  a couple years later.     In football--my player was Joe Mixon.   Unfortunately for him--I've maybe broken even. I made the cardinal mistake of choosing to invest in a running back and I'm actually selling his stuff for what I paid for it so that I can target another player.  (Keep in mind--I technically made a cardinal mistake in investing in a pitcher--Jack Flaherty--as current pitchers generally don't tend to hold value in regards to the sports cards--but I got lucky).  

If you want fun and investment potential-Prizm football hobby is the "gold standard" for football cards.  They are literally what Bowman is to baseball cards. The PSA graded 10's of rookie qb's in prizm command great money--and they also have what they call silver/color parallels (they effectively are refractors).  The only issue is this--it'll run you $1000+ a box--and the ROI is a gamble. With that said--Prizm cards are soo popular that they actually sell singles on sites like StockX.   If you are willing to take the risk (and its a big one)--that's probably the product I would recommend.  

If you want my honest opinion.  If you aren't married to the notion or ripping a box and the gambling aspect of it--your best bet is probably spending $500-1500 gambling on buying singles.  Two years ago--I picked a player in baseball, football, and basketball that I wanted to "bet" on.  Basically--I looked at players that I felt had talent but that the card market was under valuing in my opinion and went on a shopping spree targeting cards for those players.  In baseball--I was buying up Jack Flaherty rookies when his cards were basically commanding very little value (like slightly more than what a common rookie would carry).   His cards have probably went up 300%-500% of what I paid for them. In basketball--the player I targeted was Shai Gilgeous Alexander.  In the year when Luka, Trae, Ayton, and Bagley were getting all of the love from the hobby--Shai stuff was cheap back then.  I invested $1500-2000 in Shai singles--and that stuff is probably worth $10K-12k  a couple years later.     In football--my player was Joe Mixon.   Unfortunately for him--I've maybe broken even. I made the cardinal mistake of choosing to invest in a running back and I'm actually selling his stuff for what I paid for it so that I can target another player.  (Keep in mind--I technically made a cardinal mistake in investing in a pitcher--Jack Flaherty--as current pitchers generally don't tend to hold value in regards to the sports cards--but I got lucky).  
Ah that's a very interesting idea. I am a degen so the quick gamble of the boxes is tempting but I do like the challenge of trying to pick undervalued players like in fantasy. Awesome post, thanks for the detailed response! 👍

Football never really got a lot of long term  hobby love in terms of speculation.  It’s really qbs, then the rest.  

Football never really got a lot of long term  hobby love in terms of speculation.  It’s really qbs, then the rest.  
This is very true.   Football card collecting in regards to values are about rookie qb's and rare inserts/parallels from stud qbs/hof players..etc.  There generally isn't a lot of room for prospecting in football because most rookie qb cards command a decent amount of money from the moment they are released nowadays.  There is definitely more potential for "prospecting for value" in baseball and basketball.  

This is very true.   Football card collecting in regards to values are about rookie qb's and rare inserts/parallels from stud qbs/hof players..etc.  There generally isn't a lot of room for prospecting in football because most rookie qb cards command a decent amount of money from the moment they are released nowadays.  There is definitely more potential for "prospecting for value" in baseball and basketball.  
Who knows, maybe I’m sitting on a fortune.  I have a lot of score 1/1 gem masters, roughly 40-50

Last edited by a moderator:
The other product I’d suggest is a mosaic hobby box too. The autos in that aren’t even the best products in there! 
Holy hell, how are you doing buddy? Long time no chat (Trailer Park Boys from FCP), good to see you're still around.

I'll check those out too. Do you guys usually buy them locally or are there specific sites you trust?

Holy hell, how are you doing buddy? Long time no chat (Trailer Park Boys from FCP), good to see you're still around.

I'll check those out too. Do you guys usually buy them locally or are there specific sites you trust?
I know who you are haha. Pretty good man, just working a ton and have two kids that are 14 months apart so it’s nonstop 😩. How are you?!

I’m poor because of these damn kids hahaha. I know steel city collectibles is very reputable. They have a mosaic box listed at like $750ish which isn’t up charged ungodly like some of the cellos/hangars/retail boxes are. I don’t really have much of a local card shop here now. The one I knew about seems to have went out of business unfortunately. 

I know who you are haha. Pretty good man, just working a ton and have two kids that are 14 months apart so it’s nonstop 😩. How are you?!

I’m poor because of these damn kids hahaha. I know steel city collectibles is very reputable. They have a mosaic box listed at like $750ish which isn’t up charged ungodly like some of the cellos/hangars/retail boxes are. I don’t really have much of a local card shop here now. The one I knew about seems to have went out of business unfortunately. 
Same with work, the mortgage business is booming right now. Glad to hear you’re doing well though ❤️

(maybe one day you’ll return to some leagues too)

All of our local shops closed a long time so I’ll have to check it steel city. 👍

Got myself some stuff today: 2 blaster mosaics, 1 hanger, 2 hangers of donruss. 

My buddy bought a "mega" of donruss and mosaics. Gonna watch the Eagles get destroyed on Saturday while ripping these bad boys. Got lucky at a Target this AM.
Dude ended up with a Joe Burrow Rookie Scripts and a Dak and Zeke Genesis. Unreal.

My stuff: Jeudy Silver, CeeDee Lamb NFL Debut, CeeDee Lamb NFL Debut Gold Reactive, Joe Burrow NFL Debut, Justin Herbert Base RC, Justin Herbert NFL Debut, Chase Young NFL Debut Silver. Patty Mahomes and Lamar Green Mosaics. Man this was TOO MUCH FUN.

I miss the old days of buying three or four wax boxes that had 12 to 24 packs in them and you didn't break the bank to get them. Six pack of beer, good food and a couple packs of top loaders that are just waiting to be filled--man, those were good times. 

I know Upper Deck screwed the pooch when they had their licenses.but the hobby needs some competition. Panini's monopoly is killing it. Some of the junk they produce and people feel compelled to buy because they are the only game in town, is a joke.  I will not pay $600 a box to get one pack of Panini product --it won't happen.   

Dude ended up with a Joe Burrow Rookie Scripts and a Dak and Zeke Genesis. Unreal.

My stuff: Jeudy Silver, CeeDee Lamb NFL Debut, CeeDee Lamb NFL Debut Gold Reactive, Joe Burrow NFL Debut, Justin Herbert Base RC, Justin Herbert NFL Debut, Chase Young NFL Debut Silver. Patty Mahomes and Lamar Green Mosaics. Man this was TOO MUCH FUN.
That’s sick man. It’s so hard getting any autos in blasters let alone a burrow. That’s close to a $1k haul for everything there. Probably more like $1200ish

That’s sick man. It’s so hard getting any autos in blasters let alone a burrow. That’s close to a $1k haul for everything there. Probably more like $1200ish
Do you recommend trying to get the Auto Burrow PSA'd? I see they were shut down "as of May 20" due to da Corona. I'm telling him he should look into trying to drop it off, since PSA is located in Orange County, about 20 miles away from our local area. Or should he just toss these up on Ebay asap?

Do you recommend trying to get the Auto Burrow PSA'd? I see they were shut down "as of May 20" due to da Corona. I'm telling him he should look into trying to drop it off, since PSA is located in Orange County, about 20 miles away from our local area. Or should he just toss these up on Ebay asap?
Mosaics have been grading pretty rough. Only one that was graded (from BGS) came back a 9.5 and sold for $725. Raw ones are selling for $600+. You’d be paying like $100 for ten day grading and it’s not really going to pay off unless it’s a 10. I’d put it up raw on eBay if you sell it and list it for $750 and probably take an offer of $675 min. 

Mosaics have been grading pretty rough. Only one that was graded (from BGS) came back a 9.5 and sold for $725. Raw ones are selling for $600+. You’d be paying like $100 for ten day grading and it’s not really going to pay off unless it’s a 10. I’d put it up raw on eBay if you sell it and list it for $750 and probably take an offer of $675 min. 
Thanks for the feedback!

The other product I’d suggest is a mosaic hobby box too. The autos in that aren’t even the best products in there! 
Mosaic is an interesting and intriguing product.  This year is the first year that Panini is doing it for football and the hobby has seemed to like it so far.  Much like Prizm--it's a product where the parallels/inserts carry an appeal that is not so dependent on pulling a big name auto.   The weird thing about Mosaic is that before this year--it was one of Panini's "affordable" products.  For example--Panini had a suggested retail of $120 per box on mosaic basketball hobby this year--and they ended up selling it for $600 a box direct to the public (it sold out in minutes).   Being that its the first year for football--there is some potential collectibility to it this year.  Layton Sports Cards currently has hobby boxes at $739 with free shipping anywhere in the world currently.  If you do order from Layton--you go to the website--click where it says "personal boxes" and when you add it to your cart--make sure you click the "ship it" option.  If you click "rip it"--they will open your box live on youtube for you--which can also be fun and also beneficial if you are looking to sell whatever cards you happen to get.   Dozens (if not hundreds of people) watch the live stream and if you land a card from players they collect--often times you can connect with them on chat/facebook and work out a deal.  

I do have a completed rainbow from the panini prisms, of gale sayers from 3014.  The colored inserts look great in those.

One thing I'm still not sure of with this current "boom" is what's really driving it. The last boom/bust cycle in the industry was due to the combination of over-production and speculation. Most buyers were buying because of what they speculated something would be worth, not based on what it actually was worth ("actual" being what someone is willing to pay for it.) Then that speculative price became the perceived price it was worth, until the speculators had no real buyers that agreed with that worth. And the supply was so big speculators couldn't control the market and then had to keep under-cutting each other when they wanted to try and sell their cards to actual buyers/collectors.

The Beckett price guides that were the bible back then were a big reason for why things went the way they did. It was a tail-wagging-the-dog-wagging-the-tail scenario. The original intent of Beckett was as a guide to capture what things were selling for, but it quickly became the opposite and was used as a guide for what things SHOULD be selling for. Beckett started by observing what things were priced at and/or selling for at card stores, show dealer tables, and mail-order classifieds. The actual market was dictating what something listed for.

But as the popularity of cards increased and became a commodity with the potential for high-dollar value, those stores and show dealers started WAITING until the Beckett guides came out to see what something was "worth" before trying to sell it. That meant less and less real and actual data for Beckett to track, and what was being tracked were sales from people that would only sell for what they BELIEVED Beckett would/should be pricing something at.

This time around, there is at least the controlled production element, as well as the grading element which adds an additional layer of scarcity. But there's still the risk of a $4 million 1 of 1 Mike Trout only going for $4 million because all those bidders bid it up believing they will be able to see its value increase to $4.5 or $5 million, versus there being a true market of people that will actually want to pay $5 million for it. What happens to the prices we see right now for rares and rookies in a year or two when people aren't dealing with COVID isolation or looking for ways to spend/invest their disposable income, because either things are back to normal, or there's a worsening recession? 

When 1 of 1's came out in the late 90's I used to joke about how one day the hobby will just be something like Topps putting out a single 792 card set of 1 of 1's where each card comes one to a "box" and each of those 792 boxes would retail for $1k each. Now that's pretty much where it's headed, but with a box being more like $100k!

My new "prediction" is card companies and graders working together to put out "packs" that contain pre-graded cards produced specifically to control how many Gem Mint 10s exist, right from the start. 

I noticed that a few people mention buying sealed wax on ebay.   As a collector and knowing what happens in the hobby--I'd recommend against purchasing boxes/packs on ebay.   People search, weigh and re-seal packs on ebay a lot more than you think.  You are far better off buying from a local card shop or a reputable online dealer (guys like dave and adams, blowout, steel city collectibles, layton sports cards, mojo)..etc.   Also--for those of who enjoy buying into breaks--be very careful as paypal is really cracking down on that and closing accounts.  Rumor is that it has something to do with tax ramifications and they are effectively viewing breaks as gambling.   If you do buy into breaks using paypal--try to avoid picking breakers that actually have the word "break" or "breakers" in their name. 
This thread has made me nostalgic and I feel like opening up some old packs from when I was collecting.  (1986-1990)  My concern would be people opening and resealing wax for good cards.  Obviously that will be less of a problem for the mass produced crap sets like 1988 Topps.. or Donruss... or Score... man 1988 really sucked.  I'm guessing there's less of a problem for sealed foil packs?  I'd love to get some 1989 Upper Deck, still remember the smell when you opened a pack.  Maybe some 1990 Skybox?  Would like to get some other bball like 88-90 Fleer, 86&87 too expensive for screwing around.  What do you guys think would be fun packs / boxes to target? 

One thing I'm still not sure of with this current "boom" is what's really driving it. The last boom/bust cycle in the industry was due to the combination of over-production and speculation. Most buyers were buying because of what they speculated something would be worth, not based on what it actually was worth ("actual" being what someone is willing to pay for it.) Then that speculative price became the perceived price it was worth, until the speculators had no real buyers that agreed with that worth. And the supply was so big speculators couldn't control the market and then had to keep under-cutting each other when they wanted to try and sell their cards to actual buyers/collectors.

The Beckett price guides that were the bible back then were a big reason for why things went the way they did. It was a tail-wagging-the-dog-wagging-the-tail scenario. The original intent of Beckett was as a guide to capture what things were selling for, but it quickly became the opposite and was used as a guide for what things SHOULD be selling for. Beckett started by observing what things were priced at and/or selling for at card stores, show dealer tables, and mail-order classifieds. The actual market was dictating what something listed for.

But as the popularity of cards increased and became a commodity with the potential for high-dollar value, those stores and show dealers started WAITING until the Beckett guides came out to see what something was "worth" before trying to sell it. That meant less and less real and actual data for Beckett to track, and what was being tracked were sales from people that would only sell for what they BELIEVED Beckett would/should be pricing something at.

This time around, there is at least the controlled production element, as well as the grading element which adds an additional layer of scarcity. But there's still the risk of a $4 million 1 of 1 Mike Trout only going for $4 million because all those bidders bid it up believing they will be able to see its value increase to $4.5 or $5 million, versus there being a true market of people that will actually want to pay $5 million for it. What happens to the prices we see right now for rares and rookies in a year or two when people aren't dealing with COVID isolation or looking for ways to spend/invest their disposable income, because either things are back to normal, or there's a worsening recession? 

When 1 of 1's came out in the late 90's I used to joke about how one day the hobby will just be something like Topps putting out a single 792 card set of 1 of 1's where each card comes one to a "box" and each of those 792 boxes would retail for $1k each. Now that's pretty much where it's headed, but with a box being more like $100k!

My new "prediction" is card companies and graders working together to put out "packs" that contain pre-graded cards produced specifically to control how many Gem Mint 10s exist, right from the start. 
Well Panini has a product called encased where you are guaranteed a graded card in every box--so you might be a little late in your prediction. Lol.   

The latest boom has been propelled by a lot of things.  First of all--a lot of kids that were collecting before the collapse of the hobby years ago are now adults that have disposable income to put into hobbies/nostalgic things.   Covid propelled things because people werent spending money on vacations and couldn't spend lots of money going out to eat or on entertainment. With no sports--people liked the gambling/competitive aspect of watching/joining breaks on facebook or youtube.  We have to call a spade a spade--the current state of the sportscard hobby has moderate elements of gambling/stock markets in it.   

You also have the super wealthy investor looking at sportscards as viable investments due to the a growing disbelief in the value of global currencies.   I've said it in the stock thread--but we are moving towards a world where there will be too much cash and not enough investable assets.   There is a reason why gold, silver, real estate, stocks,  artwork, classic cars, sportscards, and other things are being hoarded up by the super wealthy.   How much do you think a dollar will be worth 10 years from now?  How much do you think a Lebron rookie, or a house, or an ounce of gold will be worth?   Certainly I'm not saying that the sportscard market will be a line that points straight upwards.  There will be turbulence in it just like there are turbulent days in the stock market.     

Out of curiosity, what are the general rules of thumb on having cards graded?  

Like most American kids, I grew up collecting sports cards, but haven't bought a pack or followed the hobby at all since I was about 17 years old.

That said, when I was a kid, approx 1997, I inherited a giant box of 1970s cards.  My uncle had collected cards when he was a kid, he died in a car accident in like 1980, well before I was born....his cards ended up in storage in their attic with a bunch of other stuff.  When my grandmother sold the house, they cleaned out the attic, found this giant box of cards, and just gave it to me.  Mostly 1973 Topps football, 1974 Topps baseball, 1975 Topps football and baseball, some NHL and NBA from the same timeframe....mostly commons that I've got stored in a binder, but there are a few noteworthy cards in there...Franco Harris rookies, Lynn Swann rookies (where they spelled the word "receiver" wrong on the card), Dan Fouts rookies, some Nolan Ryan cards, etc.

Is there really a point in grading if you're not really looking to sell?  Is there a dollar threshold in terms of "value" of the card vs. cost of grading where it makes sense?  I've thought about this question for years but I've never done it.  The more precious ones I've kept in very good shape, but they're nowhere near Gem 10 ratings.

This thread has made me nostalgic and I feel like opening up some old packs from when I was collecting.  (1986-1990)  My concern would be people opening and resealing wax for good cards.  Obviously that will be less of a problem for the mass produced crap sets like 1988 Topps.. or Donruss... or Score... man 1988 really sucked.  I'm guessing there's less of a problem for sealed foil packs?  I'd love to get some 1989 Upper Deck, still remember the smell when you opened a pack.  Maybe some 1990 Skybox?  Would like to get some other bball like 88-90 Fleer, 86&87 too expensive for screwing around.  What do you guys think would be fun packs / boxes to target? 
Only buy sealed wax boxes.  Even if they're foil you can still manipulate the packs by figuring out the sequencing.  I think I had about 30 Griffeys doing this with Upper Deck in 89.  

Like most American kids, I grew up collecting sports cards, but haven't bought a pack or followed the hobby at all since I was about 17 years old.

That said, when I was a kid, approx 1997, I inherited a giant box of 1970s cards.  My uncle had collected cards when he was a kid, he died in a car accident in like 1980, well before I was born....his cards ended up in storage in their attic with a bunch of other stuff.  When my grandmother sold the house, they cleaned out the attic, found this giant box of cards, and just gave it to me.  Mostly 1973 Topps football, 1974 Topps baseball, 1975 Topps football and baseball, some NHL and NBA from the same timeframe....mostly commons that I've got stored in a binder, but there are a few noteworthy cards in there...Franco Harris rookies, Lynn Swann rookies (where they spelled the word "receiver" wrong on the card), Dan Fouts rookies, some Nolan Ryan cards, etc.

Is there really a point in grading if you're not really looking to sell?  Is there a dollar threshold in terms of "value" of the card vs. cost of grading where it makes sense?  I've thought about this question for years but I've never done it.  The more precious ones I've kept in very good shape, but they're nowhere near Gem 10 ratings.
If they're not in great shape, save your money especially if you're not looking to sell.   If you're curious, send in a test run of your gems and you'll likely see how tough it is to get anything above a 7 or 8 with older cards.   You could also do a search on Ebay to get a handle on what properly graded cards of Franco, Swann, etc look like and then search completed deals to see what the market price is for a given grade.  Sometimes, it'll cost more to get the card graded than the actual value.  

Yeah agree with Major. Check the Sold listings of eBay (one of the filter selections) to see different grades and what they went for. It will likely depend on the "population" of how many there were of a certain grade on a particular card as to the variance in value. But in general, older cards don't need to have a 10 grade to carry a decent increase in value over the base card.  As for getting cards graded, you can buy in to grading groups where they do batch submissions. I've seen a couple of advertisements but haven't done it. But looks like they charge you a flat fee to submit your card for grading (along with their other submissions). I guess they put together enough to get a minimum order graded. Maybe @jvdesigns2002 or one of the others can give more insight on that. 

Preservation, curiosity and maximizing your value mainly. 

My rule of thumb and I only graded once...like 15 years ago...

If the card in a PSA 9 can't sell for more than 50 then it is not worth sending in....from a monetary standpoint anyway.

In your case if you research what a PSA 6 or 8 would sell for...if its under 50, I wouldn't bother.

I say 6 or 8 because if you see flaws already chances are best case scenario is an 8

1974 Dave Winfield in an 8 sells for about 150...in a 7 about 60.

I persowould only submit if the cards look really good. 

You're looking at 25+ a card...and a 3-5 month wait

I have a few unopened packs/boxes on ebay 

1986/87 topps rack packs 

1987 topps vending boxes

1988 score packs and rack packs 

1991 stadium club boxes

From that era...1987 topps for me is a staple to mess around with. Cheap enough to get into...loaded with rookies and stars.  Decent resale if you wanted to move them.

The Noid said:

Been saying this for years but felt like it was falling on deaf ears.  It was obvious years later with the birth of ebay when the Beckett guide clearly said it wasn't monitor actual online sales.  

I once got in to an argument about this with a Beckett employee at a Texas bar.

comfortably numb said:
I have a few unopened packs/boxes on ebay 

1986/87 topps rack packs 

1987 topps vending boxes

1988 score packs and rack packs 

1991 stadium club boxes

From that era...1987 topps for me is a staple to mess around with. Cheap enough to get into...loaded with rookies and stars.  Decent resale if you wanted to move them.
Decent resale on 87 Topps?

Here is a lot of 13 rookie cards of a HOF'er that sold for $3.

Steve Tasker said:

The answer to this question is completely subjective and varies based on who you ask.  One great thing about collecting sports cards is that there is no "one way" to collect. Some people collect players from certain teams, some collectors like prospecting where they try to target players before the hobby becomes privy to them, you have set builders, you have collectors that just love the thrill of hitting a big card in a pack or a break--those collectors are almost part gamblers..etc.  Just as there are different types of collectors--they are different beliefs in when it's appropriate to grade cards.  

For me personally--I think the market has fallen way to in love with the notion of grading cards.   PSA and BGS are swamped with submissions and ten day services and taking up to a couple of months--even with them dramatically raising prices for grading services.  Regular services are taking several months.   People are literally sending 2020 Giannis base cards in for grading. I'm not against grading cards--and i think grading cards makes sense for sellers.  One of the biggest benefits to getting a card graded is that the card is encapsulated professionally---and this certainly gives the owner of that card confidence that it won't deteriorate.  Secondly--for sellers--grading cards does offer protection especially if they are selling cards that are not individually numbered.  Many scammers are buying ungraded cards that are not individually numbered that look to be in decent condition and then file returns with the seller saying that the card they received was bent or had soft corners.  Effectively what they are doing is replacing their own  damaged card with a good condition card through scamming. Because graded cards are encapsulated and have serial numbers--it makes that scam virtually impossible.   Those are just a couple benefits of grading.   

The downsides are this in my opinion.  Neither BGS or PSA have a perfect record and both have checkered pasts. There will inevitably be a future scandal (s) involving them and if the hobby is putting all of its eggs in the baskets of their integrity---I worry that it could cause a big regression in price once that future scandal occurs.  Secondly--you can do a fantastic job preserving your cards very inexpensively through putting cards in penny sleeves first, top loading them second, and then sealing each top loader in a team bag.   One of the reasons why I don't grade cards I'm not looking to sell is that I'd far rather use the money that I'd be spending to have a bunch of my cards graded to actually increase and improve my collection.   I literally have 500-700 cards currently that most people in the hobby would absolutely recommend getting graded.  Even at $20 each--thats $10k-14k in grading costs.   I'd rather get $10k worth of great cards that I am more than capable of preserving properly--as I can always grade them at a later date.   

The downsides are this in my opinion.  Neither BGS or PSA have a perfect record and both have checkered pasts. There will inevitably be a future scandal (s) involving them and if the hobby is putting all of its eggs in the baskets of their integrity---I worry that it could cause a big regression in price once that future scandal occurs.  Secondly--you can do a fantastic job preserving your cards very inexpensively through putting cards in penny sleeves first, top loading them second, and then sealing each top loader in a team bag.   One of the reasons why I don't grade cards I'm not looking to sell is that I'd far rather use the money that I'd be spending to have a bunch of my cards graded to actually increase and improve my collection.   I literally have 500-700 cards currently that most people in the hobby would absolutely recommend getting graded.  Even at $20 each--thats $10k-14k in grading costs.   I'd rather get $10k worth of great cards that I am more than capable of preserving properly--as I can always grade them at a later date.   
Can you expand on that?  I was completely out of the hobby for several years, so I guess I missed any scandals that happened. 

I bought a few graded cards (PSA mostly, maybe a couple BGS) from eBay years ago before my sabbatical, but didn't know a lot about the business end of grading at the time, I just knew it was wildly popular.  I sent a batch in (along with a buddy who went in half with me) to BGS and was severely disappointed. I took my time to choose ones that I thought were the best of the best. I paid most attention to corner sharpness and well, corner grades were high on almost all of them, but everything else was sub-par. Surface (scratches and peck marks I guess), and even centering issues (which by plain eyesight you couldn't even detect). It really discouraged me from having anything else graded.  Have you had any experience getting any graded by either company? Was thinking of trying again, but with one of the buy-in services that a few places offer. 

Can you expand on that?  I was completely out of the hobby for several years, so I guess I missed any scandals that happened. 

I bought a few graded cards (PSA mostly, maybe a couple BGS) from eBay years ago before my sabbatical, but didn't know a lot about the business end of grading at the time, I just knew it was wildly popular.  I sent a batch in (along with a buddy who went in half with me) to BGS and was severely disappointed. I took my time to choose ones that I thought were the best of the best. I paid most attention to corner sharpness and well, corner grades were high on almost all of them, but everything else was sub-par. Surface (scratches and peck marks I guess), and even centering issues (which by plain eyesight you couldn't even detect). It really discouraged me from having anything else graded.  Have you had any experience getting any graded by either company? Was thinking of trying again, but with one of the buy-in services that a few places offer. 
Both BGS and PSA have a history of grading trimmed cards as not being trimmed.  Either graders there were incentivized to do it--or they didn't take the time to notice and examine them (which would arguably impune their reputation more than bribery would). I'll throw a link down at the bottom of this post that is a quick summary of that particular scandal.  There is also many instances where people send a card in for a grade--they don't like the grade--so they break the slab and re-submit the card as if it was a new submsission and will end up getting completely different grades than they got the first time.  Also--until recently--people would be sending in cards that were cleaned with liquids or waxes and it wasnt mentioned on the slab or reflected in a grade.  It's considered standard to very carefully wipe a card down with a micro-fiber cloth before submitting it--but people were literally waxing some of their cards with chrome finishes to mask surfaces scratches and such.  

Your experience with BGS (or PSA) is not uncommon.  Months ago--lots of people in the hobby felt as though PSA seemed to be giving out a large amount of 10's--and now people seem to think that they are grading things too harshly. Both PSA and  BGS recently had to hire lots of new staff to deal with the massive influx of submissions. Make no mistake--this means that there is a great chance that if you send anything in soon--that your cards will be getting examined and graded by people with not very much experience.  If you do decide you want to submit through a group submisison service--make sure that they are 100% legit and established--as even some of them have been involved in scandals.  Some of them are submitting 40-50 of the exact same card in with each submisison. Let's say you have 3 Rickey henderson rookies you want to submit through them and they all look decent.   Let's also say they have 4 of their own that they want to submit that also look decent.   When they get 7 of them back--and all look decent--most likely the grades will vary--they might get  3 that are an 8, 2 that are a 9, and 2 that are a 9.5.  While they might know which ones yours were--most likely you would not be be able to tell--and a dishonest submission company could cherry pick the nicest graded ones for themselves.   This is why I'm a bit torn on how much the hobby is leaning on graded cards right now.  The grading process  has lots of warts to go along with a lot of benefits imo. 

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1298835

a different scandal involving steve grad--who most of you know from pawn stars--but he was one of the lead guys at PSA and went on to work with BGS.  You'll have to scroll down the article until you get to his bulletpoint. 

https://www.looper.com/32199/didnt-know-experts-pawn-stars/

Auction houses seemed to get higher grades also.  I see the need for graded, but I'm a set collector.  I'm glad I'm not in the graded market.

Why would my local Target say that product is selling as soon as they put it on shelf and they’ve had to set limits and place signs on shelves?

Is there a resale market for their unopened packs or boxes due to Covid? I’ve always understood the retail stores to have less quality stuff compared to what is in the hobby stores. 

Or is their stuff priced much lower than what you’d find at a hobby store or online? 

Was trying to get a few packs for a kids birthday as I’ve done many times over the years. Nothing to choose from. 

Why would my local Target say that product is selling as soon as they put it on shelf and they’ve had to set limits and place signs on shelves?

Is there a resale market for their unopened packs or boxes due to Covid? I’ve always understood the retail stores to have less quality stuff compared to what is in the hobby stores. 

Or is their stuff priced much lower than what you’d find at a hobby store or online? 

Was trying to get a few packs for a kids birthday as I’ve done many times over the years. Nothing to choose from. 
Its all flippers and speeulators buying.  The retail packs are different than the hobby store packs, usually for the worse.    Its funny as I live by two Meijer and that section sits empty 99% of the time.  Well this past Sunday, the lady filled them, took a picture and left.  As soon as she walked away, a twenty-something-YO bought out the entire section.

So the hobby sure has changed. I was collecting baseball cards as a kid circa say 88-93 until i started getting into basketball, thus my focus was basketball cards. When Upper Deck hit in '89 that was the new thing. When i stopped collecting as a teen in like 97/98 before I joined the Marines, "Topps Finest" and the refractors were the new thing, then the parellels, holograms of those cards, etc - and then autographs, used shreds of material, etc. Used to be Box, Pack or cello pack. The prices just rose.

Fast forward to today. The "Topps Finest" style/shiny stuff seems to be the style still, which is cool. Just a bigger set of colors parallels to chase. And they only tell you "what is harder" to find, not necessarily how harder. And numbered cards are cool, but you have to pay the hobby style prices to get a decent shot at that stuff. 

And pricing now is crazy due to group breakers/gamblers that just are trying to get a valuable card. I get it, I just don't really like it. But the "garbage" products like Score Football are still $220 for a hobby box, with the "high end" stuff like Prizm coming over $1k this year, I'm not sure how people can afford it.

Which leads to the retail experience. With kids/students staying home from school, along with collectors, its harder and harder to find retail on the shelf as many people/areas just "stalk" the stocking/vendor rep and the lucky few who are there that day usually swoop it all up. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing quite yet. But.

I'm in. 

Yeah, have checked our Target a couple times in the last couple weeks and all empty slots for football and basketball cards (Panini). All they had in stock was some crappy football complete set and some Prizm NASCAR packs. Guess I might have to check the market on those NASCAR cards. Might be able to make a few bucks on those I guess. Sigh. Just wanted a couple packs/boxes for my son and I. 

Yeah, have checked our Target a couple times in the last couple weeks and all empty slots for football and basketball cards (Panini). All they had in stock was some crappy football complete set and some Prizm NASCAR packs. Guess I might have to check the market on those NASCAR cards. Might be able to make a few bucks on those I guess. Sigh. Just wanted a couple packs/boxes for my son and I. 
Funny thing is, people are flipping complete sets, or even breaking down the sets and selling individual rookies. I have ripped a bunch of Donruss, and I have pulled just 1 RR Herbert and zero Tua or Burrow. Including 3 megas I ripped this weekend, and the "best" thing I got was a signed Cam Akers card. Whereas, you buy the complete Donruss set, you know you have the big 3 QB's. But yeah, retail is tough right, especially in city style markets, but you can still get lucky. Mosaic is the craze right now. Chasing that, Donruss, Optic when it comes out and Prizm I guess is the Cream of the Crop. All of these do go retail, you just have to figure it out. 

Had probably one of my best breaks ever last weekend--I purchased my Broncos in a case break of XR football. XR is two packs of cards a box with seven cards a pack. All I wanted was a Jeudy auto or Jeudy patch as I have managed to get everything else I wanted new Bronco-wise this year.

Honestly I got more than I ever could have wished for::

Jerry Jeudy Luminous Endorsement Green Auto #75/99 (beautiful card)

Jerry Jeudy Vortex (jersey) #19/75

Jerry Jeudy Triple Swatch Autograph #18/20

Jerry Jeudy Triple Threads #66/75

Jerry Jeudy Xtreme Insert #25/49

KJ Hamler Rookie Swatch Autograph #7/10 (sweet tri-color patch)

KJ Hamler X-Ray Jersey Blue #31/49

KJ Hamler Xtreme Insert #35/49

Even the breaker couldn't believe the kind of luck I was having that night.

People are selfish.  Those $19.99 Panini blaster boxes, if you can find one, are selling for the mid $40's on ebay.  Anything for a quick buck I guess.

People are selfish.  Those $19.99 Panini blaster boxes, if you can find one, are selling for the mid $40's on ebay.  Anything for a quick buck I guess.
What is really criminal these days is the price on penny sleeves and top loaders. There is a huge shortage of both these out there--I think BCW is back ordered through almost next year. Looking on Ebay, people are selling packs of 100 card sleeves (which are normally .99) for 4-5 dollars--sometimes a lot more. 

Agreed, but at the same time, they are wasting their time. For instance, I knew I wouldn't be able to get these Donruss Holiday Blasters, so I found 2 on ebay. All in it was $73+ with shipping taxes. In store, after taxes is like $52. Not a huge deal here.

But the dudes that BUY THE STORE OUT are the worst. 

Had probably one of my best breaks ever last weekend--I purchased my Broncos in a case break of XR football. XR is two packs of cards a box with seven cards a pack. All I wanted was a Jeudy auto or Jeudy patch as I have managed to get everything else I wanted new Bronco-wise this year.

Honestly I got more than I ever could have wished for::

Jerry Jeudy Luminous Endorsement Green Auto #75/99 (beautiful card)

Jerry Jeudy Vortex (jersey) #19/75

Jerry Jeudy Triple Swatch Autograph #18/20

Jerry Jeudy Triple Threads #66/75

Jerry Jeudy Xtreme Insert #25/49

KJ Hamler Rookie Swatch Autograph #7/10 (sweet tri-color patch)

KJ Hamler X-Ray Jersey Blue #31/49

KJ Hamler Xtreme Insert #35/49

Even the breaker couldn't believe the kind of luck I was having that night.
Nice here! Not a huge fan of XR, but you nailed it, wow. I got a couple of White Hot Donruss Jeudy's this weekend and an Optic (mainly broke Donruss). Got a silver Mosaic NFL Debut. Big fan of him!

Users who are viewing this thread