What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (7 Viewers)

Its not his accuracy or anything. He looks unsure and overwhelmed, that is something that can be worked on.
Yeah... I'm not confident at all.  I agree that I should not just write him off, but he does not look like a future successful QB.

His ADOT is a joke, im not sure he threw enough passes deep enough to judge his accuracy.   That TD to Dio was not a pretty throw, good thing he was wide wide open. 

Yeah... I'm not confident at all.  I agree that I should not just write him off, but he does not look like a future successful QB.

His ADOT is a joke, im not sure he threw enough passes deep enough to judge his accuracy.   That TD to Dio was not a pretty throw, good thing he was wide wide open.
Ben was even worse out there.

Johnson or AJ Brown in dynasty?? 
AJ is the better talent and it is not close IMO. TEN at some point needs to solidify its QB play...but the same could potentially be said of PIT depending if Ben can play at a high level again. I am not a big believer in Rudolph and think that the game against CIN will be one of their peak performances this year.

AJ is the better talent and it is not close IMO. TEN at some point needs to solidify its QB play...but the same could potentially be said of PIT depending if Ben can play at a high level again. I am not a big believer in Rudolph and think that the game against CIN will be one of their peak performances this year.
I think the opposite in terms of Diontae and AJ talent. 

Diontae can likely hold top 20 value in the future. He seems to be holding his own as a rookie. Kudos to him (and I am a Browns homer). I still am leery this year, but he might become the go to target in Pittsburgh. I think that he can easily get 900+ and 7 TD's as a rookie this year. There is something to be said about that. Pittsburgh may have just found something there. 

900-7 season in basically 14 games with Mason Rudolph.......yeah I'd be happy with that but I don't think that's his ceiling this year. 

I think the opposite in terms of Diontae and AJ talent. 
I am sure you do. I don’t see how anyone would think that but to each his own. I own both so no bias, just don’t see Diontae as a number one whereas I think AJ will be a top five WR in this league. Diontae has splashed due to two long broken plays. I hope he continues to produce but I am not as optimistic as you are.

I am sure you do. I don’t see how anyone would think that but to each his own. I own both so no bias, just don’t see Diontae as a number one whereas I think AJ will be a top five WR in this league. Diontae has splashed due to two long broken plays. I hope he continues to produce but I am not as optimistic as you are.
That's what makes this game so fun brother. In my mind Diontae is already Pittsburgh's #1. I might regret saying that this early but that's what I'm seeing.......a rookie coming in and commanding a significant target share right away because he's open a lot. 

I own them both as well but to be completely fair here, only one was a broken play where he got lost in the coverage. The other he roasted his man by several yards. That’s a good thing. Celebrate brother! 

That's what makes this game so fun brother. In my mind Diontae is already Pittsburgh's #1. I might regret saying that this early but that's what I'm seeing.......a rookie coming in and commanding a significant target share right away because he's open a lot. 
I love Johnson and own both he and Juju in several leagues.  Juju looks like the better player by quite a bit, but they are different players and I think they will compliment each other well. 

I would love it if you are right, glad I held onto him to find out. 

Had to drop him for a kicker before the games on Sunday and he still sits there on the wire. Can’t decide between him amen Deebo as a pickup. Just not convinced Rudolph can consistently get him the ball downfield 

Had to drop him for a kicker before the games on Sunday and he still sits there on the wire. Can’t decide between him amen Deebo as a pickup. Just not convinced Rudolph can consistently get him the ball downfield 
I'd have to go with Dionte. Seems like the 49ers can spread the ball around a lot more and Shanahan trying to always do his best Belicheck impression with both his wr's and rb's. Could be games where Deebo is barely on the field. I'm sure there will be dud games for Dionte but the kid ain't leaving the field.

Nick Farabaugh (@FarabaughFB) Tweeted:
Diontae Johnson has averaged 2.81 yards of separation per target, which is the best mark in the NFL. 

Yeah, it's not the best just among rookies, he leads the entire NFL. https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/status/1179578267176710144?s=17
Wow! Nice stat. I picked him off FA in two leagues and started him last week. Now, it's Jaylen Samuels or Diontae Johnson in the Flex. Hmmm...

Johnson seems to have a rapport with Rudolph while JuJu disappoints. 

Wow! Nice stat. I picked him off FA in two leagues and started him last week. Now, it's Jaylen Samuels or Diontae Johnson in the Flex. Hmmm...

Johnson seems to have a rapport with Rudolph while JuJu disappoints. 
And they're calling Juju a legit gametime decision today. Hopefully they put him in as a decoy. 

I've been focused on Diontae being a dynasty asset but am realizing with these past two performances that he is a solid redraft asset. What should we be thinking with respect to his rest of the season potential output? Where do you rank him ROS in PPR WRs?

I'm very interested to see Rudolph play today, and what the coaching staff allows him to do. If he looks bad again I will be pretty concerned about the WRs in Pittsburgh, especially Juju who has a lot of value to lose. 

I own both Dio and Juju in as many dynasty leagues as I've been able to get them, so really hoping we see a different Rudolph who isn't playing scared. 

Those separation stats are awesome news for Dio, now we just need to see decent QB play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Johnson in most of my Dynasty Leagues but I'm still waiting to see if he can sustain this production. Over half of his season long points have come on 2 plays (the 39 & 43 yard TDs). If he can break a long TD every week that's great, otherwise he's going to need to show a little more volume to be effective. As far as the separation stat, I don't think there was a DB within 10 yards on either of those TDs, that probably skews the numbers pretty good on 13 catches.

I like him, I'm just not ready to throw him into my lineup yet

I'm very interested to see Rudolph play today, and what the coaching staff allows him to do. If he looks bad again I will be pretty concerned about the WRs in Pittsburgh, especially Juju who has a lot of value to lose. 

I own both Dio and Juju in as many dynasty leagues as I've been able to get them, so really hoping we see a different Rudolph who isn't playing scared. 

Those separation stats are awesome news for Dio, now we just need to see decent QB play. 
I am sure the blown coverage target inflates that stat a bit. Hope he continues to show.

Which is better for him this week, a hobbled Juju as decoy or an out Juju forcing him into true #1 against BAL?
Having Juju on the field (even as a decoy) is a good thing for Johnson. 

The Ravens won't be able to put bracket coverage on Johnson; they will be forced to account for Smith-Schuster. 

Would you go for gusto and put him (Dio) in over ARob?  It’s what I’m staring at and I’m having trouble even though Dio’s trend is nice

Which is better for him this week, a hobbled Juju as decoy or an out Juju forcing him into true #1 against BAL?
As someone who won't be starting Johnson, I would love to see JuJu out so we can see what Johnson looks like against the top corner.

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-8 targets for 27 yards in Pittsburgh's Week 5 overtime loss to the Ravens.

It's the second straight game Johnson's led PIttsburgh's wideouts in targets as he continues to capitalize and flash his third-round pedigree in place of Donte Moncrief (healthy scratched Sunday). He had no explosive touchdown to show for in this one, but third-string QB Devlin Hodges did keep the rookie involved even when Mason Rudolph (concussion) was assisted off. Johnson genuinely looks like he's here to stay as a WR4/FLEX for the rest of the season pending Pittsburgh's situation under center. He's now compiled 14/156/2 on 17 targets since being inserted into the starting lineup in Week 3.

Diontae Johnson caught 2-of-2 targets for 14 yards in the Steelers' Week 6 win over the Chargers.

Johnson was just like every other Steelers WR: Barely involved. Both of his targets were easy underneath completions, one of which resulted in a scary hit courtesy of LB Thomas Davis. Johnson appeared to be okay. Still, the only Steelers player that appears to be able to offer any sort of consistent fantasy value at the moment is James Conner.

Diontae Johnson caught 5-of-7 targets for 84 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' Week 8 win over the Dolphins.

It was a nice rebound game for the rookie after he had been limited to seven catches for 41 scoreless yards combined in the previous two games. Johnson has shown a real connection with Mason Rudolph with a touchdown in 3-of-4 starts with Rudolph under center. Johnson had a ridiculous 30-ish yards catch called back on a weak OPI penalty in the second quarter but redeemed himself three plays later with a 45-yard catch-and-run touchdown on 3rd-and-20. Johnson deserves every-week WR4 treatment as the unquestioned No. 2 receiver in Pittsburgh. The Colts are up next on the schedule.

Oct 29, 2019, 12:11 AM ET

I don’t know if actual snap counts would bare this out, but it felt like he was rotated out more often than I’d like.  That very well could’ve been just game plan specific to MIA, and with the RB group being so banged up it might not matter going forward.  Either way, seriously considering going for gusto and benching K Allen against GB this week in favor of Dio

I don’t know if actual snap counts would bare this out, but it felt like he was rotated out more often than I’d like.  That very well could’ve been just game plan specific to MIA, and with the RB group being so banged up it might not matter going forward.  Either way, seriously considering going for gusto and benching K Allen against GB this week in favor of Dio
played 34 snaps (44%)

Just picked D Johnson for the second time in two leagues. Had him once in both, dropped him, and now picked him up again.

He's beginning to have a solid floor for 50 yards and 4-5 receptions every week. A long TD and other scores make him WR 3 with upside to WR 1 on any given week.

I'm in. Had to drop Gould for the week to make room. Then, still have one more to drop or if Mahomes is ruled OUT then IR opens up a kicker pick up. Strategies 😋

Steelers WR Diontae Johnson was forced from Thursay's game against the Browns with a head injury and will not return.

Johnson was taken out on a sickening helmet-to-helmet hit from Browns FS Damarious Randall in the third quarter. Johnson was the definition of defenseless after the ball had already sailed long, and Randall missiled in. Randall was ejected. Johnson was bleeding from the ear as he was helped into the medical tent then carted to the locker room. The Steelers have already lost JuJu Smith-Schuster to a helmet-to-helmet concussion this evening. Johnson had just two catches for 17 yards before going down.

Nov 14, 2019, 10:31 PM ET

Rotoworld:

Diontae Johnson has entered the concussion protocol.

This was widely expected after taking a horrid helmet-to-helmet shot in Thursday night's contest against the Steelers. Johnson was on the ground for minutes and was seen with blood around his ear. Johnson will have a few extra days to try to get cleared ahead of Week 12, but we've seen players take more time with their concussions this season. JuJu Smith-Schuster also left Week 11, so there's a chance James Washington enters next week as the No. 1 receiver.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 3:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread