What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (10 Viewers)

Saw a bit of my first preseason game today while on the treadmill. Spurs game. Empty arena. Three rows of seats with the rest hidden by wall hangings. Felt like I was watching a pick-up game at the Y. Watched a few minutes then turned the channel. Just not the same.
I can't believe there are people who think the NBA works better without fans than MLB. Sticks out so much more. 

Never mind.  It's worth talking about.  I just miss actual sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gobert should have to run a face slap gauntlet to kick things off.
😄 He scored the first basket in the first game back.  Seemed appropriate.

I can't believe there are people who think the NBA works better without fans than MLB. Sticks out so much more. 
I'm one of those people. Really like the layout and what they've done with the courts. Feels like a mix of the set-up you see during summer league or in European/FIBA games.

I'm one of those people. Really like the layout and what they've done with the courts. Feels like a mix of the set-up you see during summer league or in European/FIBA games.
100%.  Baseball stadium feels empty.  NBA arena feels intimate.  Miss real fans at all of the events, but NBA is doing it best.

The son asked about getting a streaming option to watch playoff games.   What is the best option for watching the most live playoff games between NBA TV/League Pass/etc.. ??

I don’t think league pass has any playoff games.  There are a few on nbatv, but usually the crappiest ones.

i believe that the best option right now is probably sling tv orange package, which is $30 per month and includes both espn and tnt, which is where most of the games are.

you can also add nbatv for $5 I think, if it is that important.

Nice to see nba again.  Is very nice 

Quick question.   Why still all the precautions with masks and distance inside the bubble on the court?  Aren't all these guys tested like crazy?   Seems like overkill but hey whatever makes you feel better I guess

Stream that ####, brother. 

Crackstream or buffstream. 

Also, don't let your kid be a Magic fan. 

Yeah I didn't mean it was bad, but it doesn't seem natural at all. Watching this doesn't feel like you're watching any real NBA game you've ever seen. 

At least with baseball you're still seeing much of the same things you'll see in any other broadcast that make it feel normal: the Green Monster, the apple in Citi, Houston train track, McCovey Cove, etc and the general look and feel of the field.

Yeah I didn't mean it was bad, but it doesn't seem natural at all. Watching this doesn't feel like you're watching any real NBA game you've ever seen. 

At least with baseball you're still seeing much of the same things you'll see in any other broadcast that make it feel normal: the Green Monster, the apple in Citi, Houston train track, McCovey Cove, etc and the general look and feel of the field.
I think they did a great job.  Much better than I was expecting from empty stadiums.

Great opening night of games.  Play was sloppy at times, but overall the quality was about as good as can be expected for day 1.

In those crowd videos they put on the sidelines, why not show a packed stadium? Why show a bunch of empty seats? It's so dumb.

The messages that players have been allowed to put on their name plate are great and all but it's been surprisingly hard for me to identify many players as a very casual fan. 

To me its the opposite.  I was really impressed with opening night.  The NBA is focused on the court, not the stands.  In a baseball game with all the foul balls and home runs, you can't help but notice these large empty stadiums.  The game rings hollow.  

The messages that players have been allowed to put on their name plate are great and all but it's been surprisingly hard for me to identify many players as a very casual fan. 
I can understand this from a casual fan's perspective.

One other note with the selected nameplates...some are just "better" than others.  All of the non-english ones struck me as more personal (I know that's not accurate, it just felt that way when you read the same handful of phrses over and over). 

The same phrase can also come across very differently on different players.  Seeing 'Black Lives Matter' on most players is cool, but much, much less so on Jason Tatum or Russell Westbrook.  Those two players are number 0, so it reads 'Black Lives Matter Zero' which is an an unfortunate result.  Meanwhile Damian Lilliard has 'How Many More' with his Oakland inspired number 0...which makes a much more appropriate phrase.  Small thing in the grand scheme, but I definitely noticed it.

The amount of fouls being called in the Grizzlies/Blazers game is ridiculous.
That was rough at times.  The referees have to adjust to the new situation as well.  There have been more taunting technical fouls called too.  I assume as a result of the refs being able to hear so much more than they would under normal arena conditions.  They'll adjust, as will the players.

I hope Portland gets that 8 seed.  They could be a problem.  
Agreed.  A healthy Portland could be a pain in the butt for the Lakers in round 1.  Nurkic looked good protecting the rim in game 1 and the team has a different feel with a healthy Collins and a skinny Anthony able to contribute.  That 8/9 play in game or two with the Grizzlies would be a fantastic match-up again.

Really fun to watch Giannis commit 7 fouls and stay in the game. 
Maybe so, but the Celtics really do one thing, and one thing only, to slow down Giannis...they flop mercilessly on defense against him.  Thankfully the NBA eschews most 'slide under the offensive player' charge calls and rightfully hits defenders with block calls (unlike college ball).  Marcus Smart is a master at those plays.  His head snap back game is second only to James Harden's lane drive whiplash.

Holy rebound by the Rockets with 2 seconds left.
Gotta give the Rockets credit for doing the small things to pull out the improbable win, but that game was lost by Dallas much more than it was won by Houston. 

The Mavs offense may be extremely efficient overall, but they really seem to perform poorly down the stretch of games.  Small things like not putting in Boban Marjanovich for the free throw attempt box out/rebound, or the pick slip on the final play of regulation - leaving Doncic out to dry for a poor shot, to a great free throw shooter like Seth Curry missing one when the game would have been locked up.  A lot to clean up there, and it's been a problem all season long.

Why is the bench and coaches seated so far apart? Guys are hugging, guarding, sweating, and high-fiving each other all game long, they can't sit closer together?

Maybe so, but the Celtics really do one thing, and one thing only, to slow down Giannis...they flop mercilessly on defense against him.  Thankfully the NBA eschews most 'slide under the offensive player' charge calls and rightfully hits defenders with block calls (unlike college ball).  Marcus Smart is a master at those plays.  His head snap back game is second only to James Harden's lane drive whiplash.
This.

When Giannis took off, Marcus Smart was still in the restricted area. This POS isn’t gonna stop sliding under guys until somebody gets seriously hurt, and maybe not even then. He’s dirty.

Not to mention Theis acting like he got hit in the jewels when Giannis clearly put his hand on his left hip trying to get through the screen. Another cheater.

When Giannis took off, Marcus Smart was still in the restricted area. This POS isn’t gonna stop sliding under guys until somebody gets seriously hurt, and maybe not even then. He’s dirty.
Make no mistake, I have a lot of respect for Marcus Smart.  He's a modern day Bill Laimbeer - the player you hate, but would absolutely love on your own team.  Smart is easily one of the best five defenders in the entire league and as his shooting has improved, so has his importance to the Celtics.

That said, that slide under charge is the play I hate most in all of basketball.  I'd like to see the charge circle put out another foot from the basket.  Too much risk for injury and, when charges are called on that type of undercut, it incentivizes the wrong end of that play.

These games haven’t been very entertaining because of all the acting going on.  Practically every possession is someone lowering their head and plowing into someone, then both players go flying and the ref tries to decide what to call.  Mil-Hou game has 40 fouls through the 3rd quarter.

These games haven’t been very entertaining because of all the acting going on.  Practically every possession is someone lowering their head and plowing into someone, then both players go flying and the ref tries to decide what to call.  Mil-Hou game has 40 fouls through the 3rd quarter.
Welcome to watching the Rockets play in the James Harden Era.  It's, well, not as entertaining to watch as the other 28 professional franchises and the Knicks.

I don't know if I agree with this.  Considering that teams basically had a several month hiatus, some with make shift rosters with key players opting out--I think the games for the most part have been very entertaining given everything.  I've personally been impressed with what the NBA has been able to do since the re-launch.  I just hope and pray that the bubble holds up as my confidence levels in baseball and football are dropping with each passing day.  

@SWC what it do, brohan? Got your goblet ready for all those Celtic tears that are already pouring?
it is tough when a team beats you and the best you have is hey our guy was totally moving in to the guy and didnt get the charge he was trying to get cheap style it is just a rough season when that is what you got so my heart goes out to them take that to the bank brohan

Michael Porter Jr looked unbelievable today. Moves so FN well off the ball. You don't see guys that age doing that. Which will bode well for playing alongside Jokic. So fun to watch. 

Aren't many guys into the league that can do absolutely everything on the floor as good as him. Does it so effortlessly. Special talent.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Michael Porter Jr looked unbelievable today. Moves so FN well off the ball. You don't see guys that age doing that. Which will bode well for playing alongside Jokic. So fun to watch. 

Aren't many guys into the league that can do absolutely everything on the floor as good as him. Does it so effortlessly. Special talent.

His size/mobility/shooting combo is elite. Had he not messed his back up, he would have been the # 1 pick in 2018.  He was a little old for his grade,  but IMO, he was the best HS wing prospect in the past 5 years.

Massive upside if he stays healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread