What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (14 Viewers)

what politicians do
Stop racism?  How do you propose owners and politicians are going to do that?

Look, this is a big statement. Great.  They made it.  Cancel tomorrow and Friday for that matter.  Draw attention to the matter. 

They are celebrities and have far greater influence on public opinion then owners.  No one cares about owners.  People care what Lebron thinks. 

I just found it odd that the players are waiting for the owners to do something.  

Look, this is a big statement. Great.  They made it.  Cancel tomorrow and Friday for that matter.  Draw attention to the matter. 

They are celebrities and have far greater influence on public opinion then owners.  No one cares about owners.  People care what Lebron thinks. 

I just found it odd that the players are waiting for the owners to do something.  
no, they don’t do that

make speeches, propose useless legislation, pass useful legislation, act like they care, etc.

im not saying any of that will help, I just think that’s what they want.

Maybe because the owners are the ones who donate to these corrupt politicians. I've always said take money out of politics and watch how things happen. 

Maybe because the owners are the ones who donate to these corrupt politicians. I've always said take money out of politics and watch how things happen. 
If it’s for cheap political donations and actions, that’s not gonna help.  If it’s to get the attention of the world, they don’t need the owners.  They have a platform, use it.

If I were them I’d be asking owners to allow them to have speeches on tv before and after games, and other actions that can influence the public.  Owners bribing politicians won’t do a thing, let’s be real.

Last edited by a moderator:
The players per the one tweet I posted here talked about police reform and Voting. Lets talk about voting. I think we need a 3rd and 4th party to really make change in the voting booth. Unfortunately people are voter shamed WHICH IMHO is Voter Suppression into the left says "Voting Independent is a vote for Trump" But the Right says "Voting independent is a Vote for Biden."  its all scare tactics to make people vote for who they want them too. We won't have real voting in this country till people realize we need 3rd maybe 4th party. Theres already movement in this country by progressives to form a Progressive Party of America. I won't go into detail but you can look it up. I think until people realize GOP and DNC are literally the same nothing will change in this country. We need not just police reform, end racism but we need to take money out of politics as well. Politicians LOVE THIS DIVISION in our country because they make more off of us while we all suffer unless you are making over 6 figures a year anymore we are all suffering. 

I think the movement in Sports is great but the big issue for me on voting is don't vote just red or Blue demand better candidates and selections. Until that happens it's status quo in this country. Politicians are way more talk and less action then many of these athletes and celebs are. Just remember that. 

If it’s for cheap political donations and actions, that’s not gonna help.  If it’s to get the attention of the world, they don’t need the owners.  They have a platform, use it.

If I were them I’d be asking owners to allow them to have speeches on tv before and after games, and other actions that can influence the public.  Owners bribing politicians won’t do a thing, let’s be real.
Again I was spitballing on ideas. None of us know what conversations have happened. WOJ, Lowe and others haven't tweeted any update in over an hour

Scratch that last one just saw this NBA canceled if Lebron ain't playing the NBA ain't continuing. Kobe would be proud tonight 

Shams Charania

@ShamsCharania

Sources: The Lakers and Clippers have voted to boycott the NBA season. Most other teams voted to continue. LeBron James has exited the meeting.

I'm fully pro players in this but why are they talking about canceling the season now? They do that and they lose a ton of leverage. Seems like there's potential to display meaningful progress during a two week boycott.

I'm fully pro players in this but why are they talking about canceling the season now? They do that and they lose a ton of leverage. Seems like there's potential to display meaningful progress during a two week boycott.
Owners lose more out of the TV deal then the players do. 

Angry man who hasn’t watched NBA in 10 years vows to never watch NBA again 
That's the threads next title I think right there. 

Also it cracks me up when these people who haven't watched a game in yrs of sports vows to boycott. It's nota boycott if you aren't participating to begin with. My favorite was Trump during Kaepernick saying how ratings fell but in 2014 or so when Buffalo denied his bid for the bills he made a tweet about how he didn't want them anyway do to the leagues decline in ratings. 

Agree.  Once they walk away, what can they do? While they have the stage, they can do something.  Quitting seems like a poor solution. The owners didn’t do this.  Neither did the fans. 

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

·10m

The Clippers and Lakers voting on perhaps not continuing with the season was considered more of a polling, than a final vote, sources tell ESPN. The resumption of the playoffs remains still up in the air.

Discussions on continuing season will extend into tomorrow, sources tell ESPN, but appears unlikely the three playoff games on Thursday will be played. "Everyone is still too emotional," one high-ranking source tells ESPN. "There needs to be more time to come together on this."

@shader this last one is for your enquiry 

ESPN Sources: Among themes in meeting: NBPA explained financial implications of ending season, including possible lockout next year. Chris Paul on leaving meeting unified; CJ McCollum on needing a plan of action. Doc Rivers on using platform, voting, holding police accountable.

Agree.  Once they walk away, what can they do? While they have the stage, they can do something.  Quitting seems like a poor solution. The owners didn’t do this.  Neither did the fans. 
Yeah but it shows they won't just be entertainment to fans especially those who like them for entertainment but the minute they give an opinion the fan doesn't like it's shut up and dribble. 

Agreed.

I also think there is zero chance they would think of shutting it down if this were a normal playoff season (see: no bubble).  Not saying their desire to get out of the bubble and get back to normal living is driving this, but I think it is a factor.

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

·10m

The Clippers and Lakers voting on perhaps not continuing with the season was considered more of a polling, than a final vote, sources tell ESPN. The resumption of the playoffs remains still up in the air.

Discussions on continuing season will extend into tomorrow, sources tell ESPN, but appears unlikely the three playoff games on Thursday will be played. "Everyone is still too emotional," one high-ranking source tells ESPN. "There needs to be more time to come together on this."

ESPN Sources: Among themes in meeting: NBPA explained financial implications of ending season, including possible lockout next year. Chris Paul on leaving meeting unified; CJ McCollum on needing a plan of action. Doc Rivers on using platform, voting, holding police accountable.
Awesome thanks for the info. I’m biased because I think politics is a total joke, but the nba has a platform for the next 6 weeks. Prime time TV and a platform to change hearts and minds.  Why on earth would you walk away from that if you want change? 

Agreed.

I also think there is zero chance they would think of shutting it down if this were a normal playoff season (see: no bubble).  Not saying their desire to get out of the bubble and get back to normal living is driving this, but I think it is a factor.
Could it? Maybe but also at the same time without the bubble maybe they feel they couldn't have the best dialogue. Most of these meetings happen through webcams and phones and text during a season. Them being all in one place they all got together at once. 

Agreed.

That’s a pessimistic viewpoint but I suppose it’s possible for some. Leaving the bubble to go home to your mansion isn’t going to be a good look.  Then just wait for the financial repercussions of striking during the playoffs.

Awesome thanks for the info. I’m biased because I think politics is a total joke, but the nba has a platform for the next 6 weeks. Prime time TV and a platform to change hearts and minds.  Why on earth would you walk away from that if you want change? 
I agree they are a Joke and the two party system. I think its more that for at least the Bucks they feel trapped and can't do anything in the bubble. They have been super pro active with this from protesting and their one player was racial profiled and abused by police earlier in the year. City offered him 400K to just shut up and bury the issue btw. So for them I think its they feel like they are worthless inside the bubble. 

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

·10m

How do you vote on perhaps?   :lmao:

That’s a pessimistic viewpoint but I suppose it’s possible for some. Leaving the bubble to go home to your mansion isn’t going to be a good look.  Then just wait for the financial repercussions of striking during the playoffs.
I think it is more realistic than pessimistic, given human nature.  Being in that bubble has to be pretty rough, especially for athletes with fat stacks who are used to being able to do whatever they want, whenever they want (that would apply to football and baseball players as well).  And we've already seen this year how difficult it is for the average American to stay at home for the sake of safety.  And average Americans don't have millions of dollars. 

Strip clubs are open again.

That's an interesting statement and brings some things into perspective.

Despite the theatrics tonight by LeBron and LA teams, I'll still be surprised if the season is cancelled.  CJ McCollum asked tonight what the financial impact would be if they left now.  Projected decrease of salary cap 15-35% if walked away now.

I will completely applaud the teams if they do walk away.  I know it was discussed earlier, but even the players were saying earlier in the week that just taking a couple of nights off didn't mean anything.

Chris Mannix:  Something I’ve heard from a few players tonight: Sitting out one game is meaningless. It’s symbolic. There has to be more. Fred VanVleet said something similar publicly earlier in the week

I think it is more realistic than pessimistic, given human nature.  Being in that bubble has to be pretty rough, especially for athletes with fat stacks who are used to being able to do whatever they want, whenever they want (that would apply to football and baseball players as well).  And we've already seen this year how difficult it is for the average American to stay at home for the sake of safety.  And average Americans don't have millions of dollars. 
Most of these people going out for non safety are the same ones who won't listen either way. Those are the same people saying to these athletes shut up and play. Some of these athletes are a lot smarter the some of those Avg Americans. 

I work in a grocery store so trust me when I say this but most of the people going out not following orders are the same people who don't believe the virus is real but will hoard 5 things of toilet paper from the shelf and not wear a mask. Then try to blame you for being a sheep.

Despite the theatrics tonight by LeBron and LA teams, I'll still be absurdly surprised if the season is cancelled.  CJ McCollum asked tonight what the financial impact would be if they left now.  Projected decrease of salary cap 15-35% if walked away now.

I will completely applaud the teams if they do walk away.  I know it was discussed earlier, but even the players were saying earlier in the week that just taking a couple of nights off didn't mean anything.

Chris Mannix:  Something I’ve heard from a few players tonight: Sitting out one game is meaningless. It’s symbolic. There has to be more. Fred VanVleet said something similar publicly earlier in the week
FVV said they had to do something that put their balls on the line and sacrifice something. This would be it. I'm not surprised by this after his words and then hearing that Tor thought about Boycotting with Bos last night. 

I don’t think the players are naive enough to think that anything they do will trying change such a systemic problem. But I do think that they’re so frustrated and angry that they’re willing to sacrifice money and future leverage to do SOMETHING and try to make a point. I don’t know if their assessment is right or wrong, but I respect them for being willing to put their money and success on the line.

I don’t think the players are naive enough to think that anything they do will trying change such a systemic problem. But I do think that they’re so frustrated and angry that they’re willing to sacrifice money and future leverage to do SOMETHING and try to make a point. I don’t know if their assessment is right or wrong, but I respect them for being willing to put their money and success on the line.
Like the voting on ending the season.....perhaps?

Plus it's way more then whatever the heck the NHL is doing. I tried bringing this issue up tonight on an NHL facebook group. It didn't go over well at all. The Tone Deaf and ignorance I got and then I my post was deleted and I was kicked out of the group. 

Good for them. I'm really missing the games tonight, but that is nothing compared to the BS racism in this country still going on every day.

I like that they are trying something different to get something meaningful done.  Way too much in the past was just lip service.

Praying it is effective, people's lives are improved and real healing can begin.

The same reason people resign from positions in protest.  A lot of times one large move has a much greater impact than a bunch of small ones that everyone has gotten used to.  6 more weeks of seeing the players wear BLM shirts on the bench wasn't going to change anything that it hasn't already.

I agree with you here, but let’s be honest, the big name guys can talk all they want because they are going to get paid when this all loses the media flavor of the week. However, I can guarantee there are a lot of third tier (maybe second tier) guys and older players looking at their last rodeo, that are not going to miss a paycheck or a chance at a ring because of this shooting. The championship window—heck, your ability to play in NBA closes by the day.

It is a show of solidarity and support, but it will end when the “business” of basketball comes into play. 

Yes I think we could but I think if we just keep ignoring the trolls thats the best for us here. 
Dude, gotta tell you. - you really are delusional. People that don’t agree and express that are not trolls. That is a prime example of intolerant elitism. Where do you get off anyway? Your posts sound like a raving lunatic on this end. 

Good for them. I'm really missing the games tonight, but that is nothing compared to the BS racism in this country still going on every day.

I like that they are trying something different to get something meaningful done.  Way too much in the past was just lip service.

Praying it is effective, people's lives are improved and real healing can begin.
It won't be.  Likely will do more harm than good.  Like someone else said, a televise speech before each tip off would be much more effective.

Users who are viewing this thread