What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jerry Jeudy, CLE (1 Viewer)

If you believes that Jeudy is the best player available, you should take him. 

I was just looking at one of my leagues' top performers at WR. Within the top 24 at WR, there are 3 sets of teammates.  Godwin/Evans (Godwin finished 2nd overall, with Mike Evans on the same team.)  Julio/Ridley and Kupp/Woods.  Imagine passing on Chris Godwin when he came out because Mike Evans was already there.  

I am a massive, massive Jeudy fan, full disclosure.  

Having said that, I don't think Sutton, Hamler, Fant, Albert O is bad news for Jeudy's fantasy prospects. I think Jerry Jeudy is terrible news for Fant and Hamler owners. 

In the short term, the Broncos OL is less than great, so a guy who wins from the slot as quick as Jeudy does seems like a nice security blanket for  young QB. The real bonus is that he isn't simply a faster Jarvis Landry, he also gets deep, with a QB who chucks it.  
Fair points. I don't think anyone is saying that Jeudy can't or won't be a very good fantasy asset. Just that his upside may be capped due to surrounding talent. Someone brought up Michael Thomas, Davante Adams and Deandre Hopkins as alpha receivers who benefit not just from supreme talent, but also insane volume due to lesser surrounding WR talent. Obviously it's WAY too soon to draw conclusions about Jeudy without him playing in an NFL game, but even if he's all that, IMO the only way for him to ever get to that level is if Sutton (or another high-quality secondary option) is out of the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair points. I don't think anyone is saying that Jeudy can't or won't be a very good fantasy asset. Just that his upside may be capped due to surrounding talent. Someone brought up Michael Thomas, Davante Adams and Deandre Hopkins as alpha receivers who benefit not just from supreme talent, but also insane volume due to lesser surrounding WR talent. Obviously it's WAY too soon to draw conclusions about Jeudy without him playing in an NFL game, but even if he's all that, IMO the only way for him to ever get to that level is if Sutton (or another high-quality secondary option) is out of the picture.
Yes, I don't think Thomas/Hopkins volume is likely. It's a negative, for sure.  Target share seems to be an issue for Lamb as well, but his landing spot somehow vaulted him over Jeudy. I don't get it. Amari is being talked about as someone that can be released after '21, but Sutton's contract is up after '21 as well. Seems just as possible Sutton is allowed to walk as well, if Jeudy establishes himself.  

If the Broncos had drafted Tee Higgins, I would call Sutton a death blow for Higgins targets. Jeudy I see as a completely different weapon, who will be the easiest completions for a young QB (outside of Gordon dumpoffs).  

Yes, I don't think Thomas/Hopkins volume is likely. It's a negative, for sure.  Target share seems to be an issue for Lamb as well, but his landing spot somehow vaulted him over Jeudy. I don't get it. Amari is being talked about as someone that can be released after '21, but Sutton's contract is up after '21 as well. Seems just as possible Sutton is allowed to walk as well, if Jeudy establishes himself.  
I am a bit down on Lamb - at least for the next two years - for similar reasons as Jeudy. It's tempting to look beyond '21, but a lot can happen by then, including the addition of another high-end WR if Cooper/Sutton leave.

As we all can agree, talent often wins out in the end, but opportunity is often a compensating factor. 

If you have Sutton currently on your team in dynasty PPR league, do you feel comfortable on taking Jeudy at high 1st round pick?  And how do you feel about having two WRs on the same team?   The way I see those two... Sutton as alpha WR and Jeudy gobbles up the receptions as WR who excels in short and intermediate area. 
I don't particularly like having 2 WRs from the same team (in general) & the same would apply to Sutton/Jeudy.

You could look at it from the perspective of you can hold both until you see who's going to thrive, but I'd be leery of doing that with the price Jeudy commands (not that he isn't a valid pick in the 1st).

. Target share seems to be an issue for Lamb as well, but his landing spot somehow vaulted him over Jeudy. I don't get it. Amari is being talked about as someone that can be released after '21, but Sutton's contract is up after '21 as well. Seems just as possible Sutton is allowed to walk as well, if Jeudy establishes himself.  

If the Broncos had drafted Tee Higgins, I would call Sutton a death blow for Higgins targets. Jeudy I see as a completely different weapon, who will be the easiest completions for a young QB (outside of Gordon dumpoffs).  
Agree with most of this here and would add the following:

I do think it's extremely likely Dallas cuts Amari or lets Gallup walk if this plays out to end of 2021 season, but after looking at Amari's contract it might not play out that long.  Did not realize how extremely easy his contract is to trade after just the 2020 season because most of his guarantees were in base pay, not bonus. They can save $14M in cap space next year if they trade him,  $20M if they dealt him after June 1 and with fairly minimal dead money.

Something I've not got since the NFL draft.  Denver had a major WR need, Dallas had a minor need which was a slot and/or depth. Juedy goes 15 to a team in need and Lamb goes 17 to a team with a minor need to point of it almost being a luxury pick and all I've heard since was how great a draft Dallas getting a player no one could believe dropped to 17 but hardly a peep on Denver. To me not much difference between 15 and 17 and a team actually addressing a major need at 15 was a bigger win for that team.

Something I've not got since the NFL draft.  Denver had a major WR need, Dallas had a minor need which was a slot and/or depth. Juedy goes 15 to a team in need and Lamb goes 17 to a team with a minor need to point of it almost being a luxury pick and all I've heard since was how great a draft Dallas getting a player no one could believe dropped to 17 but hardly a peep on Denver. To me not much difference between 15 and 17 and a team actually addressing a major need at 15 was a bigger win for that team.
I think it's as simple as the Cowboys getting Lamb was an exciting steal, on an otherwise uneventful 1st round. It was the Cowboys, more exciting than the Vikings or Broncos. 

Cowboys got a great steal, and since then people are twisting themselves into pretzels explaining how Lamb is going to demand targets on a team with Gallup and Cooper. Lamb was among the top 3 WRs in this draft, gets drafted by the Cowboys, and now he's unquestioned #1. Herd mentality at its' finest. 

I think it's as simple as the Cowboys getting Lamb was an exciting steal, on an otherwise uneventful 1st round. It was the Cowboys, more exciting than the Vikings or Broncos. 

Cowboys got a great steal, and since then people are twisting themselves into pretzels explaining how Lamb is going to demand targets on a team with Gallup and Cooper. Lamb was among the top 3 WRs in this draft, gets drafted by the Cowboys, and now he's unquestioned #1. Herd mentality at its' finest. 
I remember when Dez Bryant was a luxury pick for Dallas :)

Here's one for fellow Jeudy truthers:

Like Lamb, Jeudy was dominant at a young age, posting one of the greatest age-19 seasons in college football history. As a sophomore, Jeudy totaled 1,315 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns. Since 2000, only nine other wide receivers have totaled more yards or more touchdowns at an equivalent age: Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Brandin Cooks, Marquess Wilson, Robert Woods, Keenan Allen and two players yet to declare. Attesting to the value of such a feat, Wilson is the only receiver on the list without a 1,000-yard season in the NFL.

I think having Sutton there is not so bad. The Denver offensive pie is going to get a lot larger. Thinking Jeudy is the 1.5. If he have like 1.7 and he slips, you feel really good.

Jeudy’s weight was brought up as a concern (and it was a concern of mine). With the Chark thread active I noticed DJ is listed as 6-4, 198. Just for comparison sake.

Jeudy’s weight was brought up as a concern (and it was a concern of mine). With the Chark thread active I noticed DJ is listed as 6-4, 198. Just for comparison sake.
D.J. is listed in Player Profiler according to his combine stats which are 6'3", 199. That inch makes a big difference in BMI. 

D.J. is listed in Player Profiler according to his combine stats which are 6'3", 199. That inch makes a big difference in BMI. 
I think Jeudy is 6'1"....so Chark is maybe two inches taller and 6 pounds heavier? Seems like Chark would be a lower BMI at that point (24.9 to 25.5). Not a big deal, just wanted to bring it up for comparison as Jeudy's BMI was discussed earlier. 

Good point.
I don't think the BMI is a big deal as long as you have enough play strength. Dane Brugler was one of the first to that I recall to start criticizing Jeudy for that. He said that Jeudy does have a tendency to be moved around and redirected by defenders at times. To Jeudy's credit when asked what he needs to work on was getting stronger. Bottomline watching this guy run routes and separate is a thing of beauty. If he can add to his play strength and improve his contested catch ability he has a chance to be very special. 

True but often the impact a RB has over those 4-5 years is bigger than a WR has over 10 years. Would you rather have a WR who averages 1000/7 for 10 years or a RB who averages 1500/12 for 5 years? 
:goodposting:

There are a ton of WRs that get you 900-1000 yds and 6-8 TDs.  You can always acquire these guys later (older ones for super cheap).  RBs in their prime that are super talented and are the bell-cow.....good luck in acquiring them. 

Now the question is....is Jeudy a perennial 1000/7 guy or could he be a perennial 1300/10 guy?  Given the situation in DEN, I would bet on the former and take any RB who has a good chance at being the bellcow within the next year or so. 

JERRY JEUDY WR, DENVER BRONCOS

9News' Mike Klis reports Broncos QB Drew Lock has been throwing to first-round WR Jerry Jeudy in Denver daily.

All signs point to the Broncos' facilities opening to players later this month, but Lock, entering his first full year as the team's starter, has been proactive in gathering a handful of players for throwing sessions at a nearby park the past two weeks. Phillip Lindsay and K.J. Hamler were also spotted participating. There's obviously no guarantee this improves Jeudy's rapport with Lock out the gates, but it's a step in the right direction. Both rookies are expected to start in three-wide sets alongside Courtland Sutton.

SOURCE: Mike Klis on Twitter

Jun 6, 2020, 2:20 PM ET

Broncos signed No. 15 overall pick WR Jerry Jeudy to a four-year, $15.2 million contract. 

A two-year starter at Alabama, Jeudy arrives with exceptional route running ability that allows him to win at all depths of the field. Despite facing top-notch competition in the SEC, Jeudy separated from teammates Henry Ruggs and Devonta Smith in averaging at least 86 yards per game in back-to-back years in his age-19 and 20 seasons. He also led the FBS in 15-plus yard receptions in that span. Hands down the most polished route runner in the class, Jeudy's pedestrian 38th-percentile Adjusted SPARQ was one of Combine's biggest surprises. To win on the outside in the NFL, he’ll need to get stronger, but he otherwise projects as a go-to WR1 who can also thrive in the slot. He will immediately slot in as the Broncos' No. 2 wideout behind Courtland Sutton. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 23, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL

Jeudy just snagged a deep one from Lock. The impressive part was setting Simmons up. Sold it deeper. Stopped on a dime.

Simmons was reading player not ball.

Jeudy just gets the nuances of the position for beyond his years.
https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1296484207716335617?s=21

Aric DiLalla @AricDiLalla

Lock throws a dime to Jeudy for a touchdown to end practice.

Had connected with Sutton earlier in the drive.
https://twitter.com/aricdilalla/status/1296499984641253377?s=21

He reminds me of Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce. I'm looking forward to seeing this WR class from the 2020 draft. 

Ask Aric: What stands out about watching Jerry Jeudy?

Excerpt:

Hi Aric, apart from Jerry Jeudy's obvious route running prowess, what has impressed you most from watching him in person? - Ben L.

Ben, I'll answer your question, but I do want to focus in on his route-running for a second, because I think there are nuances that are worth mentioning. First, Jeudy's routes just look smooth. There's no wasted movement, and he seems to glide down the field at times. Second, he's explosive — whether that's in a head fake to move a cornerback or in the way he comes out of his break. He looks, at times, like he's moving at a different speed than anyone else. And while that was impressive to watch when he was at Alabama, I'm maybe more impressed now that it's coming against tight coverage. Another aspect of his game that's impressed me, though, is his mental toughness and focus. He dropped two catchable passes early in Tuesday's practice, and he responded by making two impressive catches along the sideline. Sometimes players can't get past their first mistake, and they let it impact the rest of a game or practice. Jeudy doesn't seem to be that type of guy.

For anyone who listens to the Audible podcast, Cecil Lammey’s words have been in my head every draft like an ear worm/commercial jingle (byyyyyy-MEN-nen ..... Cooo-STAN-za .... draaaft-JEU-dy). “However early you’re drafting Jerry Jeudy, it’s not early enough.” I’m heavily invested and counting on you, Cecil! 

Users who are viewing this thread