What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Small changes you've made to become better/healthier (1 Viewer)

I drank a lot. Between 4 and 8 a night, depending on the night. this sort of happened in stages. I decided it wasn't good for my kids to see their dad with a drink, so I stopped drinking in front of them for about 6 months and then stopped entirely. 
Did you lose much weight? I have a friend who did this a few years ago, he said over the span of 6 months to a year he lost like 40 lbs without any other changes in diet and exercise.

What type of impact has it had, and exactly which types of stretches. Also, how do you get motivated or "pumped," ..enthusiastic about stretching? It's the one thing I always blow off. Basically how do you generate the willpower and how has it benefited..
Hitting my mid-thirties I stretch my hamstrings to prevent back pain and first thing I do in the morning is a whole routine of hip flexor stretches.  My range of motion is as good as its ever been.

Loose hips are key to a long, healthy life.  Learn it, live it, love it.

Did you lose much weight? I have a friend who did this a few years ago, he said over the span of 6 months to a year he lost like 40 lbs without any other changes in diet and exercise.
Yeah, I've dropped some pounds without doing much other than not drinking. In the last few days, I've started doing some exercise and I'm really noticing a difference. 

I floss like a boss. Keep a baggy of those little platic floss jobbies at my work desk. Floss after lunch every day.  

I have been doing this for lunch.  I try to eat a salad with protein.  One thing that works for me is the tuna creations like this one

Hickory Smoked tuna creation

These packets provide a lot of protein and enough flavor that I have been skipping the dressing.  They also have them in a lot of different flavors.  Don't get me wrong, I miss the dressing, I just know it is difficult to find a healthy option when it comes to dressing.
will have to check that out

I have been doing this for lunch.  I try to eat a salad with protein.  One thing that works for me is the tuna creations like this one

Hickory Smoked tuna creation

These packets provide a lot of protein and enough flavor that I have been skipping the dressing.  They also have them in a lot of different flavors.  Don't get me wrong, I miss the dressing, I just know it is difficult to find a healthy option when it comes to dressing.
will have to check that out

Eating a bowl or two of ice cream upon waking up takes care of my dietary requirement of fat while introducing some sugar and dairy into my system for that morning jolt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Neti Pot every morning...has helped clear up my sinuses a ton.
Not the neti pot, but I'm a big fan of the neilmed sinus rinse.  Whenever I get a lingering cough (the kind that feels like its post nasal drip related), that clears it right up.

Hitting my mid-thirties I stretch my hamstrings to prevent back pain and first thing I do in the morning is a whole routine of hip flexor stretches.  My range of motion is as good as its ever been.

Loose hips are key to a long, healthy life.  Learn it, live it, love it.
link to routine?

Just had our first granddaughter. Will motivate me even more to do what it takes to have the best chance to be around 30-40 years. 

I've lost a few pounds. And while your friend says he didn't change his diet at all, it does change. I'm just not as hungry. I eat less. So yeah, I'm not forcing myself not to eat, I just don't eat as much, and I'm losing weight. That being said, I'd be down a few pounds, but I would be down more if I didn't hit the ice cream as often as I do. I'm all about ice cream at night when I was never that way. That is one thing about my diet I'm conscious about. I try not to have ice cream after 9. 

Not the neti pot, but I'm a big fan of the neilmed sinus rinse.  Whenever I get a lingering cough (the kind that feels like its post nasal drip related), that clears it right up.
I have one of those, ever since deviated septum surgery. Wish I'd found it sooner. I don't use it often, and tend to think daily use might be unhealthy (just my opinion), but it's nice to have when you need it. There's literally no substitute for the combination of 1) a convenient, buffered solution like that and 2) that "inert" solution administered in that "cleansing" manner. Add to it the simplicity and it's kind of a genius product. Sorry for all the quotation marks.

Regarding sinus issues: For about three years I've been going to the waxing studio and having my nose hairs waxed. About every three weeks, cleans out all the hairs, smooth as a baby's bottom inside there. I highly recommend it, because IMMEDIATELY after having it done my breathing improves like 50%. It's like allergens cling to the nose hair and cause my nasal passages to constrict. But with no hair, nothing for allergens to "cling" to, my nasal passages/sinuses feel like they're wide open. An airflow analogy: It's like I walk in with dial-up internet and walk out with fiber optic. If you have a hairy inside of your nose/nostrils, I highly recommend it.

It's also a good excuse to regularly have your eyebrows groomed on the regular. And develop a good relationship with your waxing chick, because some of them get grossed out by it and do it half-###ed. I actually have an appointment tomorrow and it's my waxing chick's birthday. I'm tipping her with a $50 Nordstrom gift card, no shtick. That's how important that woman is to me and my breathing.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread