What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Live Draft Gone Bad (1 Viewer)

I think the Colts offense will be better than 2017 and better than expected with Brissett . . . but still a long way's away from what it would have been with Luck.

Given the options available at TE, I was fine with Hooper. I generally wouldn't draft more than one TE and to be honest I was so concerned about RB's I overlooked rostering two of them. Some other guys that are available are Herndon, Jarwin, Uzomah, Eifert, Hurst, Gesicki, Brate, Swaim, and Doyle. To me, those are all probably bye week filler types.
I went with a low draft capital Waller/Herndon combination in two drafts, picking up Hock off of the waiver wire to make for a lopsided three TE attack on one team that seems to have survived them in a short bench. In that short bench league, I've dropped Herndon with the news of Darnold and watching the Buffalo game. There's too much upside in the receivers available in the league to hold three TEs and not gamble at WR.

Regarding A.J. Brown, I fear you might be right. Davis was apparently doubled all game and Mariota only targeted Brown four times. I convinced myself in my own leagues that Brown will force his way into a situation that demands targets and snap counts, but you're really set at receiver right now, unlike me in all my leagues where I went RB heavy before receiver (I thought receiver was deep this year). So it's not comparing the same basic teams and needs in that case.

Again, good luck. 

I think the Colts offense will be better than 2017 and better than expected with Brissett . . . but still a long way's away from what it would have been with Luck.

Given the options available at TE, I was fine with Hooper. I generally wouldn't draft more than one TE and to be honest I was so concerned about RB's I overlooked rostering two of them. Some other guys that are available are Herndon, Jarwin, Uzomah, Eifert, Hurst, Gesicki, Brate, Swaim, and Doyle. To me, those are all probably bye week filler types.
Was about to jump and say grab Herndon, but then forgot about mono boy. Otherwise I'd take him over Ebron. If it looks like Darnold is going to get better, though. 

AJ Brown is just a lottery ticket. Probably not worth making a move for. But he was many people's number 1 WR prior to the draft. And has flashed already. But yes a run first offense and all that. 

Collinsworth really talked up AJB during preseason week 3 vs. PIT on Aug. 25th.  First time I had heard of him.  NFLN mentioned him shortly after, saying some DBs were talking him up.

Then this happened last week (saw it live on Sunday Ticket):

https://m.spox.com/de/video/nfl-nfl/1909/every-aj-brown-target-from-stellar-debut-week-1.html

One of his targets was at the GL (overthrown).  That’s the kind of upside WR I want on my team, so I picked him up to stash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Collinsworth really talked up AJB during preseason week 3 vs. PIT on Aug. 25th.  First time I had heard of him.  NFLN mentioned him shortly after, saying some DBs were talking him up.

Then this happened last week:

https://m.spox.com/de/video/nfl-nfl/1909/every-aj-brown-target-from-stellar-debut-week-1.html

One of his targets was at the GL (overthrown).
Yeah, he's an Ole Miss product that was on the same team as DK Metcalf was. Brown and Metcalf were considered top-five guys in the draft according to a lot of draft experts and then other guys went ahead of them in a fit of unpredictable WR drafting and strange reasoning that had to do with the combine and other factors.

Brown runs a 4.49 forty, IIRC, so he's not necessarily the burner of burners, but he's about 6'1", 225. Solid. People keep comparing him to Anquan, which doesn't seem too far off.

The question becomes one of volume in the Tennessee offense, which is what Anarchy99 was getting at. He only went 4-3-100-0 last week. Low volume. 

Yet Ebron had 3 targets, 1 catch for 8 yards and dropped a TD.  Brissett prefers Doyle.

Stash AJB for now and if his volume doesn’t increase, grab Herndon right before or just after week 4.  By then Crowder will likely be missing games due to injury as usual.

Unless OBJ comes up with 24 points tonight (0.5 PPR scoring), this team will continue to be looking for its first win of the season. Even with a 28 point advantage at QB (Mahomes vs. Big Ben), still got shredded at the other positions. If Roethlisberger needs surgery, we have a candidate for a Wilson trade. However, that team not exactly stacked at RB either.

Roethisberger
DWilliams, Breida, Sanders, DThompson, Richard
Adams, Godwin, Moore, Fuller, Kirk, Sutton, Metcalf, Johnson (PIT)
Andrews
Crosby
Texans

And for folks thinking trade Wilson to the Brees owner, that team had Brees benched with Lamar starting, so that is a non-starter.

OBJ is predicted to score about seventeen in Yahoo! projections for .5 PPR tonight.

It's quite possible he takes one or two to the house from deep against this team. Cross fingers and hope. 

OBJ is predicted to score about seventeen in Yahoo! projections for .5 PPR tonight.

It's quite possible he takes one or two to the house from deep against this team. Cross fingers and hope. 
Without a second score, he would need 8-140-1. The Jets allowed 10-170-2 to Hopkins at the end of the season last year, so I guess it's not impossible. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Without a second score, he would need 8-140-1. The Jets allowed 10-170-2 to Hopkins at the end of the season last year, so I guess it's not impossible. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Unlikely for sure. Just trying to be a silver lining in a likely loss. 

Anarchy99 said:
4/143/1

Week 3

QB - Mahomes vs BAL, Wilson vs NO
RB - Peterson vs CHI, Cohen @ WAS, Gordon vs HOU, Brown @ CLE, Henderson @ CLE, Hilliard vs LAR, Ty Montgomery @ NE
WR - Hopkins @ LAC, OBJ vs LAR, Fitz vs CAR, Crowder @ NE
TE- Hooper @ IND, Ebron vs ATL
K - Zuerlein @ CLE
D - Bears @ WAS

How is your opponent looking?

Week 3

QB - Mahomes vs BAL, Wilson vs NO
RB - Peterson vs CHI, Cohen @ WAS, Gordon vs HOU, Brown @ CLE, Henderson @ CLE, Hilliard vs LAR, Ty Montgomery @ NE
WR - Hopkins @ LAC, OBJ vs LAR, Fitz vs CAR, Crowder @ NE
TE- Hooper @ IND, Ebron vs ATL
K - Zuerlein @ CLE
D - Bears @ WAS

How is your opponent looking?
Here's the current status report: 1-1 and in 7th place based on tiebreakers (Top 6 make the playoffs). 6th place in scoring but around 12 points from being in 3rd for total points scored. We play a 2-0 team and the team that is in 3rd in scoring. Roster:

Watson, Murray
DJohnson, Fournette, Edmonds, RFreeman, Singletary, JHill
ABrown, Cooks, Lockett, MBrown, ARobinson
McDonald, Burton
Tucker
Browns

That team looks pretty solid across the board and actually has RB's, so another up hill battle.

Notable free agents . . .
Mostert, Burkhead, Gore
Chark, DRobinson, Conley, Agholor, Beasley, Quinn, AJBrown, Richardson
Dissly, Jarwin, Eifert, Higbee, Doyle

Crowder can probably be dropped with the Jets now down to Luke Falk at QB. Even as the back up to Bell, Montgomery probably not worth holding on to in that offense. Will have to give some thought on who on the roster can be swapped out and who might make for better options.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Anarchy99 said:
Here's the current status report: 1-1 and in 7th place based on tiebreakers (Top 6 make the playoffs). 6th place in scoring but around 12 points from being in 3rd for total points scored. We play a 2-0 team and the team that is in 3rd in scoring. Roster:

Watson, Murray
McDonald, Burton
Tucker
Browns

That team looks pretty solid across the board and actually has RB's, so another up hill battle.

Mostert, Burkhead, Gore

Crowder can probably be dropped with the Jets now down to Luke Falk at QB. Even as the back up to Bell, Montgomery probably not worth holding on to in that offense. Will have to give some thought on who on the roster can be swapped out and who might make for better options.
I would drop Montgomery & Crowder, and pick up David Johnson & Leonard Fournette

Absolutely not.  We're all fully vested in this team due to the draft day injustice.  This better not get moved...
I just went back and read the beginning of the thread to see what happened. Anarchy got screwed so I am now rooting for him. What a bunch of dbags. 

rockaction said:

Nice. Great win, congratulations. Silver linings paid gold. 

Back to the topic for me. Crowder can likely be dropped, though you might regret that when Darnold comes back. Herndon shouldn't be picked up until news on Darnold. Montgomery wasn't even really getting the garbage-iest of garbage time. He can likely be dropped.

One question. I've read the thread but forget: How do waivers work in this league? If you have a FAAB, what is it and what is it at? You really should post all this stuff in the OP for reference, though you seem fine managing your team without our help. 

Back to the topic for me. Crowder can likely be dropped, though you might regret that when Darnold comes back. Herndon shouldn't be picked up until news on Darnold. Montgomery wasn't even really getting the garbage-iest of garbage time. He can likely be dropped.

One question. I've read the thread but forget: How do waivers work in this league? If you have a FAAB, what is it and what is it at? You really should post all this stuff in the OP for reference, though you seem fine managing your team without our help. 
There are weekly waivers for all free agents. Each team has a waiver claim priority. Ours is currently #3. No FAAB $. Teams can put a claim in on whatever player they want, but they would end up with the #12 waiver claim if they won a player. Individual players that get dropped not in the first waive of free agents go through the same process. Players that do not get a waiver claim become first come, first served free agents after 48 hours. So there is no pulling a fast one on anyone by trying to make a wink and nod agreement with another team to drop someone at 3 AM and pick him up, as the player would not become a street free agent for 48 hours.

Been super busy and meant to peek in here and celebrate! Nice victory! 

My ten cents is run don't walk to pick up Mostert. I would start him over any of your other RBs (this week anyway). I thought maybe he was on the roster already. I realize it becomes muddy if/when Coleman comes back but he is very startable right now.  He may be better than Coleman to be honest, and Garopollo seems to have gotten over his preseason suckage. 

There are weekly waivers for all free agents. Each team has a waiver claim priority. Ours is currently #3. No FAAB $. Teams can put a claim in on whatever player they want, but they would end up with the #12 waiver claim if they won a player. Individual players that get dropped not in the first waive of free agents go through the same process. Players that do not get a waiver claim become first come, first served free agents after 48 hours. So there is no pulling a fast one on anyone by trying to make a wink and nod agreement with another team to drop someone at 3 AM and pick him up, as the player would not become a street free agent for 48 hours.
Nice, looks like you might get Mostert or Gore.  Gotta think you need to take your shot on all RB's possible right now.  I'd go after those guys hard.

Anarchy99 said:

Watson, Murray
McDonald, Burton
Tucker
Browns

Mostert, Burkhead, Gore

The latest word is Darnold will be back week 5 and the Jets have a bye Week 4, so not sure I’d drop Crowder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you pick up any of the RB's?
Yeah, my son did. He burned our waiver claim on Mostert, so now we fell to 9th in the waiver claim order. He dropped Henderson to pick him up.

Updated roster:
Mahomes, Wilson
Peterson, Mostert, Cohen, Gordon, Brown, Hilliard, Ty Montgomery
Hopkins, OBJ, Fitz, Crowder
Hooper, Ebron
Zuerlein
Bears

I typed a suggestion yesterday that you should hold and scrapped it because I didn't really think I had any more prescience than you all would.

Sounds like you wanted to wait, too.

Yeah, my son did. He burned our waiver claim on Mostert, so now we fell to 9th in the waiver claim order. He dropped Henderson to pick him up.

Updated roster:
Mahomes, Wilson
Peterson, Mostert, Cohen, Gordon, Brown, Hilliard, Ty Montgomery
Hopkins, OBJ, Fitz, Crowder
Hooper, Ebron
Zuerlein
Bears
Bummer - I assumed you'd be able to pick up one of those guys as a FA vs having to burn a WW claim.

After the season, someone should copy this thread and send it to the league.... their reactions would be funny.

Bummer - I assumed you'd be able to pick up one of those guys as a FA vs having to burn a WW claim.
No. Even Gore and Burkhead required teams this week to use a waiver claim. From what I can tell, it will be next to impossible to get a RB with much upside. If there is an injury, any FA will have to go through waivers. If a rostered RB gets cut by one of the owners, that player will also have to go through waivers. The best way to get a RB that ekes out a larger role is trade for one or have that guy on your roster already. Also known as the RB lottery or lightning in a bottle strategy. Which is what we have been trying to scheme up for 15 pages or so.

No. Even Gore and Burkhead required teams this week to use a waiver claim. From what I can tell, it will be next to impossible to get a RB with much upside. If there is an injury, any FA will have to go through waivers. If a rostered RB gets cut by one of the owners, that player will also have to go through waivers. The best way to get a RB that ekes out a larger role is trade for one or have that guy on your roster already. Also known as the RB lottery or lightning in a bottle strategy. Which is what we have been trying to scheme up for 15 pages or so.
You do have a period of the week where FA's are first come, first served, right?

You do have a period of the week where FA's are first come, first served, right?
Yes. After the waiver wire period. Anyone dropped is always subjected to the waiver process. For example, I could pick up anyone that wasn't dropped to claim someone right now without using waiver priority claim.

There are still 72 RB's on rosters . . . meaning that there's not a lot to pick through. Someone like Scarlett is available . . . but is he a better option thatn the guys on our current roster, for example? Gallman would be another.

Yes. After the waiver wire period. Anyone dropped is always subjected to the waiver process. For example, I could pick up anyone that wasn't dropped to claim someone right now without using waiver priority claim.

There are still 72 RB's on rosters . . . meaning that there's not a lot to pick through. Someone like Scarlett is available . . . but is he a better option thatn the guys on our current roster, for example? Gallman would be another.
I was just wondering if Rostert was rostered and had been dropped?  I have to assume he was.

Users who are viewing this thread