What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (2 Viewers)

I was impressed too. My comment was more along the lines of during the clock killing drive. Since Bills had no threat of pass the running game was at a disadvantage. No one would have succeeded in that scenario more than likely, but it is what it is. 

I thought the penalty taking his TD away was pretty weak too. That's back to back weeks he's lost a TD. 
That was a definite hold to the side of the play. He grabbed him by his head and suplexed him

I apologize, I have no strong opinions either way, I'm just here to enjoy the egregious early hot takes, both ways. 
I'm willing to come around on him. He had a great night tonight, for sure. I was being cheeky. Did you know that a broken clock is incorrect for one day by twenty-three hours fifty-nine minutes and fifty-eight seconds?

That's one to grow on. 

Sell high for what though?
I have him in one dynasty league and I could (might) consider moving him for a similarly valued WR or adding to him to go after an upper tier WR. But this is context- and philosophy-specific for me. I have taken a boring, middle of the road position on CEH: I think he has a future as a solid RB1 with a somewhat capped weekly ceiling unless he establishes the kind of receiving volume projected for him this offseason. I think he is being underrated as a runner by his critics, but he does have some limitations there (esp. power and long speed) so explosive scoring may be hit and miss. Last night served as a good reminder of how he can compile yardage in chunks, which is pretty valuable.

All of that said, my leagues are ppr/flex and TE premium, so I almost always try to build around WR and trade for top TEs. I understand the scarcity argument on RBs and there probably aren't many young dynasty RBs I prefer over CEH. He's really valuable considering the turnover coming among the elite guys on their second contracts (CMC, Kamara, Zeke, Cook, Henry and so on); that's the main argument for not moving him Imo. But my parameters for must-hold at RB are pretty narrow (picked in the top half of the NFL draft?; record of elite college production?).  I know that approach won't be agreeable to everyone.

Looks like he faced one of the worst run defenses in the league tonight. But credit where credit is due. A broken clock is right twice a day. 
8 teams in the league allow more rushing yards per game than the Bills and if you go by yards per carry there's 11 teams worse than the Bills. Of course these stats include CEH running through them which makes them look worse. 

I’d go with a 60-40 split as well. Looked good last night. Wish he were a little bit faster. That 31 yard run he couldn’t pull away from Ed Oliver. 

He is a bit game script dependent. It was clear KC was trying to run the clock and force the Bills to score fast to win. KC doesn’t run as often as they did, which is the whole point made a very long time ago when addressing how many touches KC RBs get. The counter argument was CEH (or any RB in this offense) doesn’t need a lot of touches to be effective. 

CEH currently has 85% of the touches and averages 17.8 touches per week. If he loses 15% of those he would be at 15 touches per week. He currently averages 0.74 points per touch. So he would be looking at 11.1 points per week. RB32 currently 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he'll get a lot of easy goal line TDs rest of season, but he averages 113 yfs. That's CMC level.  I'm guessing the TDs will regress to the mean, particularly in dynasty, if you want to try to get a stud buy low based on lack of TD points so far.

Dr. Octopus said:
8 teams in the league allow more rushing yards per game than the Bills and if you go by yards per carry there's 11 teams worse than the Bills. Of course these stats include CEH running through them which makes them look worse. 
Buffalo is 29th in DVOA defense, 24th against the run. They're terrible. 

That said, I don't know how you can ask more out of Helaire than what you got yesterday. He looked good out there.

eta* I think he heard his Swiftian Lilliputian friend had outdone him in Detroit and wanted to step it up a bit. 

I kid, but Swift really shone in Detroit and Helaire probably topped that, minus the scores. Swift also got angled from behind on a long run, too. Neither of them is a true take-it-to-the-house guy. 

That said, I don't know how you can ask more out of Helaire than what you got yesterday. He looked good out there.
Yes. I think it’s important to realize that almost every team faces a bad defense, and we shouldn’t be quick to point and make big sweeping conclusions based off those outlier games, just as we shouldn’t make sweeping conclusions based off a single bad game vs a tough defense. The fantasy world is fickle in this  way

At risk of being called a hater, let me state MY position on CEH:

Strengths

• Great lateral agility
  • Phonebooth quickness
  • Good vision
Weaknesses

• Lacks power
  • Does rookie things
  • Not a great pass protector
  • No speed
I expect that within a few weeks, CEH will be down to get ~60% of RB touches, but because he'll be replaced near the goal line AND he lacks speed he won't get many TDs.  If he isn't being given many chances inside the ten and he can't routinely run them in from 20+ yards out I don't see how he scores more than 5 TDs the rest of the way. 

I suspect that in a few weeks he'll be averaging weekly output along the lines of:

• 15 carries for 65 yards
  • 2 catches for 15 yards
  • .4 TDs  
In PPR, the above will be good for ~12 points per week and he'll mostly range between 8 points on a bad week and 20 on an exceptional week.  IMO, his ceiling got capped and his floor got lowered.  He's a bottom end RB2 once Bell gets up to speed.  Yes, this will take 2-3 weeks, so let's not all get overly excited if THIS week Bell only gets 10 snaps and 3-4 carries.  This will be a process.  If you can find someone to give you RB1 value for him, take it.  Conversely, if you can find someone willing to sell CEH for RB3 value, go get him.

As always, just my opinion.

I-ROK said:
He is a bit game script dependent. It was clear KC was trying to run the clock and force the Bills to score fast to win. KC doesn’t run as often as they did, which is the whole point made a very long time ago when addressing how many touches KC RBs get. The counter argument was CEH (or any RB in this offense) doesn’t need a lot of touches to be effective. 

CEH currently has 85% of the touches and averages 17.8 touches per week. If he loses 15% of those he would be at 15 touches per week. He currently averages 0.74 points per touch. So he would be looking at 11.1 points per week. RB32 currently 

I think most of the people that own him have to admit Bell is a blow to his production. How big of a blow is really unknown no matter how much we discuss it. I’d be worried as a redraft owner I guess. I’m not concerned about his long term as long as he continues to look good.

DAG said:
I have him in one dynasty league and I could (might) consider moving him for a similarly valued WR or adding to him to go after an upper tier WR. But this is context- and philosophy-specific for me. I have taken a boring, middle of the road position on CEH: I think he has a future as a solid RB1 with a somewhat capped weekly ceiling unless he establishes the kind of receiving volume projected for him this offseason. I think he is being underrated as a runner by his critics, but he does have some limitations there (esp. power and long speed) so explosive scoring may be hit and miss. Last night served as a good reminder of how he can compile yardage in chunks, which is pretty valuable.

All of that said, my leagues are ppr/flex and TE premium, so I almost always try to build around WR and trade for top TEs. I understand the scarcity argument on RBs and there probably aren't many young dynasty RBs I prefer over CEH. He's really valuable considering the turnover coming among the elite guys on their second contracts (CMC, Kamara, Zeke, Cook, Henry and so on); that's the main argument for not moving him Imo. But my parameters for must-hold at RB are pretty narrow (picked in the top half of the NFL draft?; record of elite college production?).  I know that approach won't be agreeable to everyone.
What does "a similarly valued wr" mean?  That's a non answer. I would argue in most leagues he went at the end of the first round, which is where the upper tier wr are, as you can only get slightly upper from there.

At risk of being called a hater, let me state MY position on CEH:

Strengths

• Great lateral agility
  • Phonebooth quickness
  • Good vision
Weaknesses

• Lacks power
  • Does rookie things
  • Not a great pass protector
  • No speed
I expect that within a few weeks, CEH will be down to get ~60% of RB touches, but because he'll be replaced near the goal line AND he lacks speed he won't get many TDs.  If he isn't being given many chances inside the ten and he can't routinely run them in from 20+ yards out I don't see how he scores more than 5 TDs the rest of the way. 

I suspect that in a few weeks he'll be averaging weekly output along the lines of:

• 15 carries for 65 yards
  • 2 catches for 15 yards
  • .4 TDs  
In PPR, the above will be good for ~12 points per week and he'll mostly range between 8 points on a bad week and 20 on an exceptional week.  IMO, his ceiling got capped and his floor got lowered.  He's a bottom end RB2 once Bell gets up to speed.  Yes, this will take 2-3 weeks, so let's not all get overly excited if THIS week Bell only gets 10 snaps and 3-4 carries.  This will be a process.  If you can find someone to give you RB1 value for him, take it.  Conversely, if you can find someone willing to sell CEH for RB3 value, go get him.

As always, just my opinion.
Who plays in a league where a rb who regularly scores over ten points is bottom rb2?  Where are these 10 team leagues everyone must be a part of?

Middle of the pack?  Sure.  I can buy that in a 12-14 teamer.  In my 16 team league he's a high end rb2.

Who plays in a league where a rb who regularly scores over ten points is bottom rb2?  Where are these 10 team leagues everyone must be a part of?

Middle of the pack?  Sure.  I can buy that in a 12-14 teamer.  In my 16 team league he's a high end rb2.
Ok, that's precisely why I got very specific with my expectations.  I think after Bell gets up to speed CEH will be the 18th-20th best RB.  Obviously if you are in a 14 or 16 team league that is a high end RB2.  I was obviously assuming a 12 team league when I placed my be on him being a bottom-end RB2. I just think the TDs will be hard to come by.  Hope I am wrong and either Bell is washed or Andy is telling the truth.  I just think neither is likely.

Ok, that's precisely why I got very specific with my expectations.  I think after Bell gets up to speed CEH will be the 18th-20th best RB.  Obviously if you are in a 14 or 16 team league that is a high end RB2.  I was obviously assuming a 12 team league when I placed my be on him being a bottom-end RB2. I just think the TDs will be hard to come by.  Hope I am wrong and either Bell is washed or Andy is telling the truth.  I just think neither is likely.
I don't disagree about tds being hard to come by but I tend to think, especially because he had the game he needed to have Monday, that we're going to be looking at a 70/30 or 60/40 split with CEH on the top end.  Yes, his ceiling and floor drop, but with the injuries that happen to RBs he's safely in the middle of that rb2 pack.

What does "a similarly valued wr" mean?  That's a non answer. I would argue in most leagues he went at the end of the first round, which is where the upper tier wr are, as you can only get slightly upper from there.
I’m thinking in terms of dynasty, so one of the top rookie WRs (e.g. Lamb or Claypool) or a young WR in that range. In redraft I don’t know though I probably wouldn’t move him there bc I think too many people will still ding him for this season bc of Bell. 

I don't know about split percentages but I expect CEH to be primary, not only but primary RB on first and second  non obvious passing downs when not inside the opposing teams 10 yard line. I expect Bell to be the primary RB on third downs, obvious passing downs and inside the opposing teams 10 yard line. In fantasy the good news for Bell is that is the "money touches", receptions and TD's. The good news for CEH is if he never saw a touch on third down or inside the other teams 10 yard line he'd not be missing much.

Let me explain.

True story. CEH touched the ball on third down yesterday for the first time since week 2. He's got a grand total of 21 yards rushing and 2 catches for 14 yards this year on third down. In PPR fantasy that's .9 points a game.

Inside the opponents 10 yard line, an area were this CEH truther will admit he's been  absolutely awful, he's got 11 carries for a grand total of 3 yards and zero receptions on a target. In PPR that .05 points per game.

So if CEH never gets a third down touch the ROS, never gets a touch inside the opposing teams 10 yard line because 100% of those got to Bell or whoever, he'll lose a whopping .95 points fantasy points a game. OMG, however will CEH owners survive?

As for Bell I expect him to be better at those area's then CEH, especially inside the 10 yard line.

In Mahome's full two years as QB the PPR total team RB production(not counting FB's) was about 24 points last year and about 26 the previous season when he had Hunt for 11 weeks. With the way teams are playing them right now and talent level of CEH/Bell I think this number will tick up a tad but for now I'm going to use 25 points a week up for grabs and just assume Bell and CEH own most of it.(Chargers last year had 33 or 34 PPR points game from their RB's last year so Chiefs situation is good, not quite the gold mine everyone assumes-mainly because Mahomes is opposite of checkdown Charlie).

My guess is CEH will hit 13-15 points a week and Bell will come in somewhere around 10-12 PPR points. For CEH that won't be that big of a dropoff in his actual production to date(15.86). Where it will hurt CEH owners like myself, especially those who used a first round redraft pick on him, is Bell caps his theoretical upside.

Going into last week the difference between Edwards-Helaire being an RB6 and an RB12 (where he was at) was literally two TDs... if he didn't have those two called back he's a Top 7 RB. Even with his now capped upside and assuming 60-40 split if he could just go through positive TD regression he'd arguably be a Top 10 RB. I don't worry about 3rd down stuff because you can't lose what you hardly had in the first place. I don't worry about the goal line because there is a distinction from his usage in the Red Zone (Inside the 20), the Green Zone (Inside the 10) and the goal line (Inside the 5). The only thing we as owners can do is watch how the carries play out the next 2 weeks and see how the carries play out.

It should be noted... how much of Darrell Williams will we see? He's still the most trusted back in Pass Pro; will we see him in situation instead of Bell or CEH?

Speaking Wednesday, coach Andy Reid said he wasn't sure if Le'Veon Bell will even be active for Week 7 against the Broncos.

It would be good news for Clyde Edwards-Helaire's fantasy prospects with the Chiefs as heavy 10.5-point road favorites. CEH is coming off a 161-yard rushing effort against Buffalo and might be able to squeak out one more lock-and-load RB1 week out of things if Bell is unable to pick up the offense in time to play Sunday. Reid said Bell's Week 7 status will all depend on how comfortable he is with the playbook.

- Zac Stevens

I don't think he'll get a lot of easy goal line TDs rest of season, but he averages 113 yfs. That's CMC level.  I'm guessing the TDs will regress to the mean, particularly in dynasty, if you want to try to get a stud buy low based on lack of TD points so far.
 Bump

Lateral quickness, but no great burst, no power, questionable route running and hands.  At worst Bell is gonna be 1b to CEH's 1a. 25% chance Bell relegated CEH to COP back within the next few weeks.

As always. Just my opinion.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed eight times for 46 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 7 win over the Broncos, adding a 17-yard reception. 

Fantasy managers wanted answers on how Edwards-Helaire and Le'Veon Bell might split work in the Chiefs' backfield. They didn't really get them in a 43-16 win where the Chiefs scored defensive and special teams touchdowns and ran only 51 offensive plays. CEH won the touch battle 9-6, but he didn't put any daylight between himself and his veteran teammate. Neither back received a true goal-line carry, though CEH handled the rock from the 10 and 11, cashing the latter in for a score. Unfortunately for fantasy players, CEH dropped what should have been a second touchdown on one of three missed connections as a pass catcher. Now a Bell revenge game in the Jets is on tap for Week 8. CEH will maintain the RB2 rankings advantage, but his workload will be uncertain in another contest that could get out of hand fast. 

Oct 25, 2020, 7:33 PM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed six times for 21 yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 win over the Jets, adding three receptions for 10 additional yards. 

It was a supremely disappointing day as the Chiefs barely ran the ball in their blowout victory. CEH and Le'Veon Bell drew to a touch standstill at nine, with Bell turning his looks into 38 yards compared to 31 for CEH. CEH has now out-touched Bell just 18-15 through two games as a Chief. To say that's a problem for CEH's top-18 status would be putting it mildly. CEH does have a Week 9 bounce-back spot in the Panthers. Despite the disappointment, he maintains RB2 benefit of the doubt in an awful year for the position. Bell has not moved ahead of the rookie on the depth chart. 

- Rotoworld

Clyde Edwards-Helaire played 33 snaps in Week 8 against the Jets. 

Le'Veon Bell, in his revenge game against Adam Gase, got a grand total of 17 snaps. Bell had six carries and three targets. CEH didn't do much with his playing time, rushing six times for 21 yards and catching three passes for 10 yards in KC's blowout victory. But it seems the rookie -- for now -- is the team's lead back. He'll be a good RB2 play next week against Carolina. 

RELATED: 

Le'Veon Bell

Nov 2, 2020, 10:00 AM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire has 19 carries in the three games since the Chiefs activated Le'Veon Bell. 

The rookie had a measly five carries in Week 9 against Carolina, salvaging his day with a receiving touchdown while catching three of five targets for 20 yards. Edwards-Helaire retaining his goal line usage hasn't translated to fantasy success, and Darrell Williams playing on some passing downs has destroyed CEH's upside. Edwards-Helaire is a RB3 going forward. 

RELATED: 

Le'Veon Bell

Nov 9, 2020, 12:17 PM ET

SproutDaddy said:
The Chiefs just aren't running the ball period.
Roto has some weird ax to grind against certain players sometimes. Based upon the spin in these last few articles, CEH must be one of them. Bell was 4 for 8 yards and caught one pass for -5. He rushed 6 times for 7 yards last week, he’s terrible. Darryl Williams has had a total of 2 targets for 2 catches the last 3 games yet he is destroying CEH’s upside?  :rolleyes:

Roto has some weird ax to grind against certain players sometimes. Based upon the spin in these last few articles, CEH must be one of them. Bell was 4 for 8 yards and caught one pass for -5. He rushed 6 times for 7 yards last week, he’s terrible. Darryl Williams has had a total of 2 targets for 2 catches the last 3 games yet he is destroying CEH’s upside?  :rolleyes:
It's that Williams seeing the field at all destroys his upside. If it's a 2-back role that's one thing, but if D. Williams sees the field for his role (remember he was the obvious passing down back and goal line guy before Bell), then that's another back that keeps CEH off the field. CEH needs as many snaps as he can get with some of the weird game scripts he's going through. the good news is he's the lead back, the bad news is like I said in the KC/Carolina game thread; if teams keep playing these fronts to try and stop the run and pass, KC is going to pass. If they sell out on the pass, then they'll go run-dominant (Bills game) with the occasional deep shot.

Any word from anyone close to KC on why he wasn't seen at practice today? I just dropped Chase Edmonds to pick up a backup TE in case mine can't go, so I'll have no RB if he's actually suddenly injured/out this weekend.

Any word from anyone close to KC on why he wasn't seen at practice today? I just dropped Chase Edmonds to pick up a backup TE in case mine can't go, so I'll have no RB if he's actually suddenly injured/out this weekend.
The Chiefs beat writer said he was in the building, so I assume its not COVID. 

Rotoworld:

Clyde Edwards-Helaire was held out of Thursday's practice with an illness. 

As did Darrel Williams, leaving Le'Veon Bell and Darwin Thompson as the only backs to suit up. As of early Thursday evening, there hasn't been any indication the backs are dealing with COVID-19, but the Chiefs have been hit relatively hard by coronavirus issues. We will know by Friday what we are dealing with. For now, CEH can remain penciled in as a volatile RB2 against the Raiders coming off the Chiefs' bye week. 

RELATED: 

Darrel Williams

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter 

Nov 19, 2020, 5:40 PM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (illness) will play in Week 11 against the Raiders.

Edwards-Helaire was absent from practice with an illness on Thursday but was still removed from the team's injury report Friday afternoon. If it was COVID-related amid other current outbreaks on the team, the organization certainly isn't airing it. CEH will suit up as a low-end RB2 as he's still only received eight and nine touches with Le'Veon Bell available behind him in the past two games.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Nov 20, 2020, 3:47 PM ET

He's not bad, just completely unnecessary for that offense.

This is even crazier than the Rams' Greatest Show on Turf. Faulk was an integral part of that. I don't know that we've ever seen something like this Chiefs downfield offense.

Users who are viewing this thread