What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

Henry Ruggs III caught 3-of-5 targets for 55 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Panthers. 

Ruggs added another 11 yards on two more manufactured touches behind the line of scrimmage. The rookie's debut was a good one, as Derek Carr attempted two vertical shots to Ruggs, completing one for 45 yards. Ruggs did exit in the 2nd quarter with a left ankle or knee injury after three consecutive touches, but returned in the second half. He might be a FLEX option in Week 2 against the Saints with the Raiders likely chasing points.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
he looked very involved early on. great to see the three deep targets and a couple carries out of the gate. 

good sign he came back out after that injury and a good sign he avoided a major injury. he didn't get another look or carry after that tough tackle and he wasn't out there on every snap like he had been before. it's hard to tell from home with the crummy NFL camera angles if the panthers made halftime adjustments on him or if the team wanted to use him as a decoy even though he was hobbled.

a lot of dynasty players who were able to snag him as the 6th or 7th WR off the board could be sitting pretty in the coming years. (that a player of his caliber and with that opportunity fell that far might be a lesson for some in discounting players just because they wear a uniform they don't like...)

a lot of dynasty players who were able to snag him as the 6th or 7th WR off the board could be sitting pretty in the coming years. (that a player of his caliber and with that opportunity fell that far might be a lesson for some in discounting players just because they wear a uniform they don't like...)
I think a lot of people shied away from him relative to the other rookie WRs because they see him more of a big play, high risk/reward guy rather than a consistent volume guy. That still may be the case, although it seems like Chucky wants to move him around and get him involved as much as possible.

Re: the injury, Ruggs said he'd be fine, but Gruden is taking a wait and see approach - so it's still not clear about any severity.

https://247sports.com/Article/Henry-Ruggs-injury-Las-Vegas-Raiders-Jon-Gruden-update-Carolina-Panthers-Alabama-football-151467682/   

Raiders coach Jon Gruden came away impressed with Henry Ruggs' toughness after he played through a knee injury Sunday. 

“I like the fact that he came back and played through something,” Gruden said. “That’s what the great ones do. They play through pain, they play through difficult situations. He did that.” That's great, but the takeaway is that Ruggs has a knee issue — it was initially unclear if it was knee or ankle — and that Ruggs received zero touches after returning to play through the ailment in the second half. He figures to be a limited participant in this week's practices, and will be a volatile WR4 for Week 2 against the Saints. 

SOURCE: San Jose Mercury News 

Sep 15, 2020, 1:43 PM ET

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs (knee) did not participate in Thursday's practice.

With an extra 24 hours to get right before the team kicks off against the Saints on Monday night, it's possible Ruggs is merely being held out for precautionary reasons. Las Vegas' explosiveness on offense hangs in the balance with the rookie's availability since no other receiving option accrued over 30 air yards in Week 1 from Derek Carr. Ruggs is likely eyeing a 'questionable' designation for Week 2.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Sep 17, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

Given the fact that he missed practice today, would you risk leaving Ruggs in your flex? My best option to replace him is AJ Green, but he plays tonight. So if I want to sit Ruggs Monday night, I have to decide in the next hour. 

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs (knee) didn't practice Friday. 

Ruggs wasn't able to practice Thursday either. There might still be a chance for the wideout to play Monday night against the Saints, though his prospects got a lot dimmer with Friday's missed practice. Ruggs missing Week 2 could open up a few more targets for Bryan Edwards, who would remain a desperation play in deep leagues. 

RELATED: 

Bryan Edwards

SOURCE: Tashan Reed on Twitter 

Sep 18, 2020, 1:23 PM ET

I thought Ruggs looked exceptional until he got dinged in week 1. Like a WR1 in fantasy football. He was everything he was advertised to be. Parris Campbell is being hyped to the moon on these boards right now. Go back and watch their week 1 highlights. Ruggs looked markedly better IMO. For the Raiders sake, I really hope this kid is okay and plays a healthy 16 this year.

All of the above said, don't be surprised if they trot him out as a decoy even if he's 70%. They did exactly that the entire second half last week.

I thought Ruggs looked exceptional until he got dinged in week 1. Like a WR1 in fantasy football. He was everything he was advertised to be. Parris Campbell is being hyped to the moon on these boards right now. Go back and watch their week 1 highlights. Ruggs looked markedly better IMO. For the Raiders sake, I really hope this kid is okay and plays a healthy 16 this year.

All of the above said, don't be surprised if they trot him out as a decoy even if he's 70%. They did exactly that the entire second half last week.
I agree with all of this, down to the decoy part of the second half, which those of us that took him in the first round of rookie/dynasty drafts certainly noticed.

He looked like he flat belonged right away. Needs better timing on jet sweeps and a little more wiggle, but that'll come.

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs (knee) is expected to play in Week 3 against the Saints.

This was expected after Ruggs participated in the team's Saturday walkthrough. Although Marshon Lattimore, who stifled Mike Evans for a single catch on four targets in Week 2, will likely drape Ruggs throughout the evening, the rookie wideout still ranks as RotoPat's WR49 for his big-play ability at any moment. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 21, 2020, 4:46 PM ET

Henry Ruggs (knee) is active for Week 2 against the Saints Monday night.

Ruggs was listed questionable but was always expected to play after practicing on Saturday. He's likely not 100%, but Ruggs is one of the highest-upside plays on tonight's one-game fantasy slate after the Raiders manufactured him touches and deep shots early in Week 1 before his injury. Inactive for the Raiders are RT Trent Brown, MLB Nick Kwiatkoski, OT Sam Young, WR Rico Gafford, CB Amik Robertson, and DT Daniel Ross.

Sep 21, 2020, 6:53 PM ET

Ruggs is not putting up numbers you can rely on for fantasy but man has he become a key component in the LV offense.

You saw it clearly tonight that defensive backs need to respect him and find any way to slow him down. He consistently had a step on the defender and was instrumental in drawing a key DPI penalty that sustained the drive and helped set up the FG that used the game.

With Ruggs opening up the top of the D Carr was able to consistently find guys underneath.

Ruggs may have burned a few GMs who started him this week, but his time is coming to elevate fantasy squads like he does the Raiders. May still be boom/bust, but when he hits a single TD bomb catch will make the difference.

I just typed a whole lot. Suffice it say, I like Henry Ruggs III and there will be better days for fantasy players, but that watching tonight was disappointing, even coming off of a knee. It seems like I have one big caveat that I've always thought about him and pointed out upthread: He's just not a great open-field runner with juke. He's more of a straight line speed guy (and route runner) than a juke guy, which is huge when thinking about manufactured touches and yards gained. Perhaps this changes. Seems a bit old, physically, for that to change unless he really retools something (he almost one hundred percent can't.)

So, yeah, fun guy to have if you didn't over-draft him in dynasty like I did.

Henry Ruggs caught just 1-of-3 targets for four yards in the Raiders' Week 2 win over the Saints.

Ruggs entered the weekend questionable to play thanks to a knee injury, and he proved to be a small part of the game plan. His three targets were tied with two others as a distant second on the team to Darren Waller's 16 targets in this one. Ruggs hasn't been the same since injuring his knee in the first half of Week 1 against the Panthers. Ruggs should be treated as a low-floor WR4 for Week 3 at the Patriots.

Sep 22, 2020, 12:15 AM ET

Henry Ruggs (knee, hamstring) was downgraded to "limited" in Thursday's practice. 

It's especially concerning since the hamstring designation is new. It's possible this is maintenance following Monday evening's rugged win, but Ruggs should now be considered genuinely questionable to suit up against the Patriots. With Josh Jacobs and Darren Waller yet to practice this week, coach Jon Gruden could be forced to dig into his considerable, if underwhelming, depth on offense. Even if Ruggs does play, at less than 100 percent, he will be a zero-floor WR4 for a tough matchup. 

Sep 24, 2020, 5:01 PM ET

I just typed a whole lot. Suffice it say, I like Henry Ruggs III and there will be better days for fantasy players, but that watching tonight was disappointing, even coming off of a knee. It seems like I have one big caveat that I've always thought about him and pointed out upthread: He's just not a great open-field runner with juke. He's more of a straight line speed guy (and route runner) than a juke guy, which is huge when thinking about manufactured touches and yards gained. Perhaps this changes. Seems a bit old, physically, for that to change unless he really retools something (he almost one hundred percent can't.)

So, yeah, fun guy to have if you didn't over-draft him in dynasty like I did.
Too early to write him off but this is a good observation. Tyreek Hill always seemed like a straight line speed guy to me out of college, but he has juked people off the planet in the pros.

Not every rookie comes in to dominate right away. Let's see if he starts to develop as we go -- that's the hope. Even if he just becomes a faster more athletic deep ball threat with better hands than Ty Williams, that may be enough.

Like Hill, I suspect once he and Carr get more on the same page with timing, Ruggs will be a guy that will get you 4 catches per game, but one of those has the potential to be a 40 YD TD.

We'll see.

I would feel better about the Ruggs/Hill comparisons if Henry was out there on kickoffs and punt returns.  That was Hill's role at the beginning of his rookie season and he was so electic that he basically forced the team to put him on the field more.

Ruggs already has been dealing with three injuries since June, I'm not sure if we will see him at 100% this season. I've made the comparison to John Ross several times this year, and so far I'm not seeing anything to dispel that.

I would feel better about the Ruggs/Hill comparisons if Henry was out there on kickoffs and punt returns.  That was Hill's role at the beginning of his rookie season and he was so electic that he basically forced the team to put him on the field more.

Ruggs already has been dealing with three injuries since June, I'm not sure if we will see him at 100% this season. I've made the comparison to John Ross several times this year, and so far I'm not seeing anything to dispel that.
He played one half of one game un-injured and looked great in that half.  My sense is he probably shouldn’t have played last week and compounded the injuries as a result.

You may be right and props if you nail it but feels waaay to early to me to conclude anything.

Tyreek was a fifth round pick and not expected to be the teams #1 WR his first year...those guys have to make their bones on special teams.  Ruggs opened up his rookie year as the #1WR on his team, with no preseason...what more could he force the team to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Raiders coach Jon Gruden said he's "concerned" about the injuries for rookies Henry Ruggs (hamstring) and Bryan Edwards (ankle).

He declined to give an update until the trainers had more results. As it stands, it sounds as if both Ruggs and Edwards will miss a handful of games. Slot wideout Hunter Renfrow emerged for 6/84/1 receiving on nine targets in Week 3 and could be leaned on for an extended period if Las Vegas' rookies are sidelined. 

RELATED: 

Bryan Edwards

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Sep 28, 2020, 4:41 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Henry Ruggs (hamstring) is a "longshot" to play in Week 4 against Buffalo.

Ruggs was an early rule out last week after a setback in practice. He'll likely miss another game, but there's hope he won't need an extended absence. The Raiders are down both of their starting receivers with Bryan Edwards (ankle) also sidelined. Darren Waller and Hunter Renfrow should lead Vegas in Week 4 targets.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 30, 2020, 10:53 AM ET

Henry Ruggs (hamstring) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice. 

Barring a Friday miracle, the No. 12 overall pick is going to miss another game. Ideally, Ruggs would be held onto in 12-team leagues, but with bye week crunches about to begin, Ruggs could become a "difficult decision" if your bench has already been hollowed out in this extremely injured season. 

Oct 1, 2020, 4:44 PM ET

I didn't think Ruggs was going to be a thing this year, given a multitude of things from COVID to the Raiders offense, but this hasn't worked out how I envisioned at all. He's hurt, not improving his craft. Setback for sure. Not good news. 

Henry Ruggs (hamstring) is questionable for Week 5 against the Chiefs.

Ruggs is expected to play after being a full participant in practice both Thursday and Friday. The last time the first-round rookie was truly healthy, he was manufactured touches as a clear chesspiece on offense for 3/55 receiving in Week 1. The Chiefs present a rough matchup in having allowed the fewest fantasy points to opposing wideouts, but Ruggs is clearly capable of 'getting there' as a WR4 with upside on a single play.

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

Oct 9, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

I didn't think Ruggs was going to be a thing this year, given a multitude of things from COVID to the Raiders offense, but this hasn't worked out how I envisioned at all. He's hurt, not improving his craft. Setback for sure. Not good news. 
The guy has only played in 2 games in his NFL career and has been dinged up. 

Sure there's a learning curve for any rookie but he's not a development prospect.

I'm willing to have more patience before bringing the gloom and doom.

The guy has only played in 2 games in his NFL career and has been dinged up. 

Sure there's a learning curve for any rookie but he's not a development prospect.

I'm willing to have more patience before bringing the gloom and doom.
So am I. Still not a good start, all things considered.

Raiders aren't as bad as they've looked last couple weeks. They'll do everything they can to keep up with the Chiefs today and Ruggs should be a big part of that if he's full speed. Also, their $21MM/yr all-pro OT is back today after missing all but the first three snaps this yr. Shld be a boost for deep passing game.

Users who are viewing this thread