What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (3 Viewers)

OK, full disclosure

I am drunk off my ### right now.  I just saw you posting at the speed of light and decided to join in
I think toxicology may enlighten people. I doubt he had two over limit and went 127 mph into that care. He was likely on something more. 

I think toxicology may enlighten people. I doubt he had two over limit and went 127 mph into that care. He was likely on something more. 
Wondering - at this point is it possible he determines his life is basically over and tries to withdraw all the funds he can and hit the road?  Not saying it's a smart decision, just that I would consider it instead of going to jail for the foreseeable future.  Or is minimum jail time a possibility in his mind?

Wondering - at this point is it possible he determines his life is basically over and tries to withdraw all the funds he can and hit the road?  Not saying it's a smart decision, just that I would consider it instead of going to jail for the foreseeable future.  Or is minimum jail time a possibility in his mind?
I'm just saying - If you gave me the option of trying to disappear as a fugitive with $10M or spending the next 10 years in prison, it's a no-brainer.

As someone that knows a few people that have skied a few slopes in the past, blow is probably one of the hardest drugs to take accidentally. No one's Tito's & club is spiked with ye-yo.

Even I wouldn’t do that. Too be honest, I don’t think it was beer or alcohol. I think it was coke. 

More will come out. I’m sure he was given Coke. 

Thing is something weird. Is I would be asking where he was. The time he left. There is something that isn’t adding up. Twice alcohol limit makes him drive 157 mph. He was coked up. 

There likely a near zero chance this was alcohol. I think we will find he had to have Coke. 

Guy had Coke and medical staff is hiding it. 

You can’t even function to go that fast. He had Coke in him. However they won’t like that if Coke was wide spread use in nhl. 

He coked up. 

Nobody drinks to much and says yeah it’s good idea drive 150 or 120 mph. He cranked. 

But for a guy cokes and can’t pull her out. You won’t have good life in prison. 

I like your post. But a long time ago I decided drink at home. 

Plus I wasn’t given a number that I could call. 

Also, as I said before, you just don’t do 127 mph even hopped up. 

He had Coke in him, and someone gave it to him. 

There is a zero chance he wasn’t on coke

He had Coke in his system, and must have been tested for it. He did coke. 

He probably was on coke. 

In my opinion me had good time, went to after party, did some coke. 

I do think though he had coke and was given that. 

Hey @Blackbear, what’s your take on this situation?   Would love to read some more of your thoughts on the matter.  TIA.

@SayWhat? - you win today.  Pack it up boys, time to go home.

It is definitely possible to be a 22 year old with a BAC of .16 and go 157MPH - without cocaine in your system. 

At least Blackbear added some humor to this depressing thread.  

Ruggs is never playing another down in the NFL again.  

TVT 0 N S T A said:

It is definitely possible to be a 22 year old with a BAC of .16 and go 157MPH - without cocaine in your system. 
Sure…as a passenger. 

Brunell4MVP said:
Really?   I highly doubt that.  Maybe daylight on an open interstate you see once in your life f you can hit 3 digits. But around other cars.  Nope.  Around houses.  Nope.    At 2 am in the dark when it's completely dangerous and a cop is gonna crush you with DUI checks and reckless for doing it?  Not a chance.
i've gone over 100 in every vehicle i've owned, that was capable of it.. in safe situations

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, because the real story here is the unnecessary loss of one life and waste of another.

However, I took Ruggs in a dev draft a couple years back. When the Raiders drafted him, I thought, 'Las Vegas? Not a great place for impulsive young athletes with a lot of new money.' Sure enough, this happens less than two years later.

I don't want to absolve Ruggs of personal responsibility. This sort of thing could've happened anywhere and he was an idiot to do what he did, but...Vegas is pretty much the perfect storm of temptation to create this type of situation. Not at all surprising, really.

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, because the real story here is the unnecessary loss of one life and waste of another.

However, I took Ruggs in a dev draft a couple years back. When the Raiders drafted him, I thought, 'Las Vegas? Not a great place for impulsive young athletes with a lot of new money.' Sure enough, this happens less than two years later.

I don't want to absolve Ruggs of personal responsibility. This sort of thing could've happened anywhere and he was an idiot to do what he did, but...Vegas is pretty much the perfect storm of temptation to create this type of situation. Not at all surprising, really.
I don't think you can blame being in Vegas for this.  He was at a Topgolf prior to the accident.  Topgolf.  It's not like he was partying at XS or OMNIA or somewhere.  This is all Ruggs. 

i've gone over 100 in every vehicle i've owned, that was capable of it.. in safe situations
Personally, I have done some stupid stuff in my life and am very lucky to not be in this situation or dead. I am not proud of it, nor bragging about it, but in my youth I have driven  close to 100 mph, as close as my car would allow, probably and most likely at or beyond .16 on rural highway with the distinct chance of other cars and just as likely deer that could jump out in front of you.

It is entirely possible and, as the known facts are at the moment, true that he could drive 156 while being a .16. I would find it hard to believe that he hasn't driven that car that fast previously.

I pray for the family of the woman that was senselessly killed. Henry will have to pay his debt to society and has ruined a promising career. I will also pray for Ruggs and his family, he made a foolish, arrogant, and deadly mistake that will affect his family and himself profoundly. He will have to find a way to deal with the guilt of ending another persons young life and the guilt of severely affecting the lives of his family and children in an environment(prison) that can turn men into animals. 

Be careful East Bay Funk, I was lit up quickly for reminding fans that many in the media were very concerned about Vegas having an NFL team. Not even that I myself felt that way, just reminding folks about the media.

I have since rethought my stance, there's ways to get in trouble in every town/city but I think I agree with you here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful Easy Bay Funk, I was lit up quickly for reminding fans that many in the media were very concerned about Vegas having an NFL team. Not even that I myself felt that way, just reminding folks about the media.

I have since rethought my stance, there's ways to get in trouble in every town/city but I think I agree with you here.  

It's a matter of comparative margins. Compared to LA, MIA, NYC... Vegas is only marginally more sketchy for a young famous millionaire, if at all. Compared to GB, MIN, SEA and most of the rest of the league, Vegas is somewhat to a ton more sketchy for sure.

In this particular instance, I don't think Vegas was a contributing factor. Dude was drinking with his girlfriend at freakin TopGolf. That sequence and the over-powered car could've happened in any NFL city.

It's a matter of comparative margins. Compared to LA, MIA, NYC... Vegas is only marginally more sketchy for a young famous millionaire, if at all. Compared to GB, MIN, SEA and most of the rest of the league, Vegas is somewhat to a ton more sketchy for sure.

In this particular instance, I don't think Vegas was a contributing factor. Dude was drinking with his girlfriend at freakin TopGolf. That sequence and the over-powered car could've happened in any NFL city.

I see what you're saying and I don't want to lay it all on Vegas, but I've spent a lot of time there and the culture of The Strip and surrounding areas is very much one of indulgence/recklessness/living dangerously.

So even if you're somewhere random and harmless, you are still marinating in that lifestyle every day, surrounded by a general vibe of risk, flashiness, and danger. Put an impressionable kid in that atmosphere and it should only enhance the odds of this type of thing happening.

So while I wouldn't say this couldn't have happened if the Raiders were still in Oakland (plenty of temptation there as well), I think it would've been less likely. You can find trouble in any big city or really anywhere for that matter, but Vegas is notorious for drugs, drunk driving, and generally dangerous behavior. The culture there is one of showing off, beating your chest, and doing dumb stuff.

A 10 year vet can probably tune that out to a large extent. But a young kid with fresh millions in his pocket? Bad mix. It's still on Ruggs for not being smarter and safer, but it's not surprising that this happened in Vegas and not in...say...Buffalo or Green Bay.

There's a video girlfriend had posted showing Ruggs speeding in that car and seems like he had just recently bought it. 

TMZ has video capturing car flying down road. Unfathomable someone would attempt that sober or drunk. The video after is disturbing with GF yelling for help for Ruggs while the SUV burns in background. I get what others say about a bit of empathy for Ruggs, and I really wish I could be a better person like Carr, but the more that comes out the longer I want him to be locked up.

LawFitz said:
Ruggs was 1000% at fault and should absolutely be prosecuted with severe legal intent, but one of the saddest parts of this whole debacle is reading so many accounts of people who have no room for even a semblance of forgiveness, sympathy, empathy in their hearts toward him. This was literally a man-child who made one of the stupidest decisions imaginable. That said, he's not some malicious, evil, purposeful serial killer. His mistake was a hyper-extreme variation of an extremely common mistake many of us have made in our lives - we were just a lot more lucky to escape those choices without harm. 

I pray the court and society find some measure of mercy for Ruggs. And even more, I pray the victim's family finds peace and joy again someday reasonably soon. And a not so distant third, I pray this moment leads all of us to appreciate our loved ones more consistently and intensely than ever, and also to think thrice before ever getting behind a drunken or buzzed wheel again. If you are 100% fully past that tendency, awesome. Most aren't IMO, at least on the margins, regardless of age and supposed wisdom.

#gutted #introspective #appreciative #loving #empathetic #sympathetic #blessed
I agree with all of those things too but he deserves a lengthy sentence for what he did. 

Heard today that Raiders are interested in OBJ if he becomes a free agent.  I think we are something like 26th on the waiver wire.

Not at all surprising?  I don’t care what town it was or any other circumstance.  Driving anywhere at 156 is pretty damn surprising.

Anyone think Ruggs may have done some Coke that night?
It will be interesting to hear more results from the toxicology report.  Ruggs' behavior is extreme recklessness.  I realize many athletes are also adrenaline junkies, but any even marginally-rational mind should have concluded that driving at speeds in excess of 150 mph on city roads in any conditions would likely not end well. It would not be surprising to learn that Ruggs was impaired by more than alcohol.

TVT 0 N S T A said:

YouTube is literally crammed full of DUI sentencing videos where the driver was going over 100 mph. None of the stories mention any other drugs. 

Oh god it was a golden retriever. As though this couldn’t get any worse, the sweetest, most lovable breed of dog. :(  

ETA: thanks for the link. Donating now. 
You're welcome friend. I've been in the weeds all week over this for various reasons. It's nice to take tangible action to show the family some support. 

Henry Ruggs skipped a required alcohol test and will be back in court. https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/las-vegas-judge-orders-ex-raiders-henry-ruggs-back-to-court-after-missed-alcohol-test/article_b197ebaa-47ef-11ec-b59f-af5a65d1b47e.html

Ruggs' lawyers told Judge Suzan Baucum that he "self-tested" negative shortly after missing a call for a breath test last week. Ruggs could face a return to jail. He's currently free on $150,000 bail, electronic monitoring and four-times-a-day alcohol checks while facing felony DUI charges that carry mandatory prison time.

Not joking when I say this but I typically assume most young folks don't know how to handle alcohol vs being an alcoholic because they aren't old enough or been drinking long enough to really form the disease but in this case perhaps Ruggs really is one. 

I read a report that he drank 18 drinks at the Golf Shack where he was, who sells that guy 18 drinks? It's all on Ruggs but at the same time, their liquor license if that proves to be a fact, they should have it yanked immediately. 

Users who are viewing this thread