Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

PA is an absolute mess.   The state is still in group 1A and they just keep adding to it.  Smokers, fat people, and now teachers are ahead of first responders. 

It is absolutely nuts.

My wife and I (both in early 60s and in group 2) will be lucky to get vaccinated before June.  Meanwhile we have friends and their adult kids vaccinated due to the above relaxations of Group 1A.

It pretty stupid and semantics.  Now we have 100 categories in 1A.  Why aren't we calling them 1-2-3-4 anyway?  

Having said that, I think you are being pessimistic.  After teachers get their J&J this month, I think 1B will open.  The problem is that the older 1A people are just not getting access -- the mass vaccination sites should help with that.  Why has it taken so long to get these up is the real question/problem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • shader

    2386

  • Doug B

    2247

  • parasaurolophus

    1400

  • Terminalxylem

    1201

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

53 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

It pretty stupid and semantics.  Now we have 100 categories in 1A.  Why aren't we calling them 1-2-3-4 anyway?  

Having said that, I think you are being pessimistic.  After teachers get their J&J this month, I think 1B will open.  The problem is that the older 1A people are just not getting access -- the mass vaccination sites should help with that.  Why has it taken so long to get these up is the real question/problem.

I agree the categories 1A-C and then 2 never made any sense.  If they can screw up something so simple it comes as no surprise they are screwing the pooch on the rollout.

Perhaps I am being pessimistic but if it takes another month to get though 1A it seems reasonable to assume another month for 1B and then another for 1C , which puts group 2 into June.

 

Edited by Godsbrother
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

It pretty stupid and semantics.  Now we have 100 categories in 1A.  Why aren't we calling them 1-2-3-4 anyway?  

Having said that, I think you are being pessimistic.  After teachers get their J&J this month, I think 1B will open.  The problem is that the older 1A people are just not getting access -- the mass vaccination sites should help with that.  Why has it taken so long to get these up is the real question/problem.

WHen I first signed up to the state site the options were different then than now,  So i got put into group 2.  So I tried to chage and I cant.   But now we are still 1B but more people got put into 1B that were 1C.  Why not just 1C at this point.

So Im stuck in the end of the line no matter what now lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

PA is an absolute mess.   The state is still in group 1A and they just keep adding to it.  Smokers, fat people, and now teachers are ahead of first responders. 

It is absolutely nuts.

My wife and I (both in early 60s and in group 2) will be lucky to get vaccinated before June.  Meanwhile we have friends and their adult kids vaccinated due to the above relaxations of Group 1A.

Virginia is nuts too. My in-laws live there. Father in-law is a 97 year old cancer survivor who hasn't been able to get one yet, neither has his 80 something wife who is basically his nurse. They're on multiple lists and haven't been given access to an appointment for over a month. I have no idea what the thinking is there. Crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

PA is an absolute mess.   The state is still in group 1A and they just keep adding to it.  Smokers, fat people, and now teachers are ahead of first responders. 

It is absolutely nuts.

My wife and I (both in early 60s and in group 2) will be lucky to get vaccinated before June.  Meanwhile we have friends and their adult kids vaccinated due to the above relaxations of Group 1A.

I find it crazy how wildly different every state is executing their vaccination rollout. And I honestly don't know what the right answer is in terms of how to do it fairly. Another frustrating thing is how states may be documenting how people are eligible. I got my first shot yesterday as I was eligible as an essential worker. All I had to do to verify this was mark a checkbox on a slip of paper. There was no requirement to show proof of employment or anything. If I were less ethical, I would have got my wife to get one too. I am sure there are many people taking advantage of the system. But at least the vaccine is getting in arms, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ericttspikes said:

Virginia is nuts too. My in-laws live there. Father in-law is a 97 year old cancer survivor who hasn't been able to get one yet, neither has his 80 something wife who is basically his nurse. They're on multiple lists and haven't been given access to an appointment for over a month. I have no idea what the thinking is there. Crazy.

First of all, that is awful. I hope the get a vaccine soon. The state run lists seem to be moving the slowest. Have you tried to see if some of the pharmacies are providing for them? I found a few CVS's in Virginia that have vaccine slots right now. Not sure if Walgreens is scheduling there but they only schedule for 3 days out so there are openings happening everyday. Good luck to you. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

I find it crazy how wildly different every state is executing their vaccination rollout. 

Well, every state is wildly different. Some states have lots of people and some have very few. Some states have 20-30 different healthcare systems to work through and some only have one (like West Virginia). Obviously makes it much easier to organize, prioritize and distribute when you only have one healthcare system to deal with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kilgore Trout said:

First of all, that is awful. I hope the get a vaccine soon. The state run lists seem to be moving the slowest. Have you tried to see if some of the pharmacies are providing for them? I found a few CVS's in Virginia that have vaccine slots right now. Not sure if Walgreens is scheduling there but they only schedule for 3 days out so there are openings happening everyday. Good luck to you. 

Thanks. We live in Illinois, so advocating for them from here is tough. 

Awesome info. I was able to find available vaccine in a Rocky Mount CVS. They live in Roanoke. I'll get them signed up. Truly a life saver. Thanks again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol: 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ericttspikes said:

Thanks. We live in Illinois, so advocating for them from here is tough. 

Awesome info. I was able to find available vaccine in a Rocky Mount CVS. They live in Roanoke. I'll get them signed up. Truly a life saver. Thanks again.

That is awesome, I hope that works out for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol: 

 

By Cali standards.... 15-20 pounds is morbidly obese. 

(born and bred Cali expat who is actually a huge fat slob)

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what wife and I took. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G8CB6P1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no idea if it was a placebo (prob not because I am so dang skeptical of everything) or coincidence or if actually helped but I took it the night I had minor cough and next day was fine. Wife's asthma that was acting up improved as she was taking it too. 

In case it helps anyone. 

And no, I do not have MD behind my name and I don't play one on TV so what the hell do I know?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol: 

 

I am 6'1" 250. I'm fat. Everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy when I tell them I'm obese. Only my stomach is big.

Anyway, i have a 33 BMI. The minimum threshold to get the vaccine is 30. I'm getting the shot tomorrow.

BMI is kind of stupid because it doesn't take into account muscle. Not that I have muscle but I'd have to be 185 to be considered healthy weight. I'd look like a crack addict. I'm happiest at 220 so I do have 30lbs to lose. Considering I started the year at 266 I'm on my way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jobarules said:

Yep Im getting it Saturday because my BMI is 33 which is above the 30 threshold. 

I'm unsure whether to say congrats (shot) or sorry (obese). :confused:

Accept whichever one you feel is most appropriate.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Chadstroma said:

By Cali standards.... 15-20 pounds is morbidly obese. 

(born and bred Cali expat who is actually a huge fat slob)

Wow, well maybe I should re-do my questionnaire.  I just had my physical yesterday and I check in at 6', 253 lbs.  I have extremely broad shoulders and am very short-waisted (short legs, long torso), so I carry it pretty well.  Most folks guess I weigh like 210, which is laughable.  I need to get down to 215-220.

I digress... I would like the vaccine ASAP but don't want to line-skip anyone.  Heck, my elderly parents are still waiting... although they both had COVID so can now wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 12:44 PM, jobarules said:

And just like that POOF its gone. Due to multiple cases in the school the past week the whole building is going remote. Keep in mind due to the cohort my son was in he hasnt been in school since last Friday. This whole thing is an absolute joke. Kids sit in masks all day and sit in the same room all day. Why close the entire school? Just keep those classes remote.

This is my biggest hesitation to going back. Right now we’re choosing to stay remote. Our daughter is in kindergarten and I know she will do better in person. I’m comfortable with her going back in person now that I’m vaccinated and they are back offering in person learning. But she’s had a consistent teacher online the entire time. The one week that she had one of the other teachers she hated it. Put her back in person and she’ll have another teacher and always have that risk of going back and forth. I was going to try and convince my wife that we should do it but I think a few more months of consistency will be better even if it’s not the best learning and social environment. My answer might be different if she was a little older, but as a kindergartner, I don’t think it will set her back that much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

PA is an absolute mess.   The state is still in group 1A and they just keep adding to it.  Smokers, fat people, and now teachers are ahead of first responders. 

It is absolutely nuts.

My wife and I (both in early 60s and in group 2) will be lucky to get vaccinated before June.  Meanwhile we have friends and their adult kids vaccinated due to the above relaxations of Group 1A.

You will probably be vaccinated no later than early April.  It’s just math at this point.  I’m way way back in line (40s, zero conditions, etc) and expect a first dose in early May.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I agree the categories 1A-C and then 2 never made any sense.  If they can screw up something so simple it comes as no surprise they are screwing the pooch on the rollout.

Perhaps I am being pessimistic but if it takes another month to get though 1A it seems reasonable to assume another month for 1B and then another for 1C , which puts group 2 into June.

 

I think my optimism may be misplaced. I apparently got really lucky to have used the Rite Aid link on one of the first days it was available without even vaccine hunting. PA, and specifically the philly suburbs (I am in Chester Co.) are a mess.
 

Seems like the state has not proportionally allocated shots out here and only 40,000 people have received a shot so far. I got an email from the main healthcare system here and they are still only vaccinating people who are 70yrs old, created an online chart, and have been seen at a facility in the last 2 years. Their next phase will include only pregnant women, cancer patients, people on dialysis, and those waiting for a transplant.  I thought we were closer to the state’s next phase, but we are not even close out here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.

Yeah its become like getting tickets on Ticket Master or getting a PS5. A lot of refreshing sites, trackers, etc. Everyone eligible can get a vaccine but it takes some work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nirad3 said:

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol: 

 

Somebody posted up thread a few days ago about Americans excepting a BMI of 30 as not being overweight, it is, although everyone is different, different body types, etc. I’ve always thought of BMI as kinda pseudo science since it doesn’t account for muscle mass. I’ve always been a gym rat so had more muscle than average folks and felt like I’m being discriminated against by the BMI :D

I’m 5’ 10” and 209 right now, BMI of around 30.1 (use a smart scale that reminds me everyday). I look at it as a metric to gauge progress more than something I get super hung up on. I think HR, blood pressure and some other metrics are better representatives of overall health than BMI. Looking to get down to around 200 but my training is going to take a significant hit soon so will be difficult for me as I eat like a pig. I work out pretty much solely so I can eat whatever junk I want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd definitely a guideline and muscle mass can screw with it.  Saquon Barkley isn't fat.

All the BMI math does (using height and weight as the inputs) is make it so that you have a measure of mass that is uncorrelated with height.  Obviously height and weight go up together (on average), but BMI doesn't follow height.  It's almost entirely independent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Wow, well maybe I should re-do my questionnaire.  I just had my physical yesterday and I check in at 6', 253 lbs.  I have extremely broad shoulders and am very short-waisted (short legs, long torso), so I carry it pretty well.  Most folks guess I weigh like 210, which is laughable.  I need to get down to 215-220.

I digress... I would like the vaccine ASAP but don't want to line-skip anyone.  Heck, my elderly parents are still waiting... although they both had COVID so can now wait.

My experience has been most folks have zero clue about what different weights look like.

That my experience while 6' 250ish years ago before I got in shape...then the same height and in the 240 range again last year before going on a health kick right before Covid started then mainly in the fall in a bet with two friends.

At 205 now...people likely think I weigh decently under 200 if they look at me now.  Because our notion here is not really all that healthy.

Oh yeah...and there is a great diet thread on here for anyone interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.

I have not been an advocate for single-payer government healthcare, but this cluster shows the huge problems we have with divergent healthcare systems. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently hospitals by me are giving monoclonal antibody infusions to qualifying patients and it has a near 100% success rate of preventing hospitalization. I'm surprised there isn't more coverage of this treatment.

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2021/03/monoclonal-antibodies-inside-the-coronavirus-treatment-with-encouraging-results-at-hospitals-on-si.html

Edited by jobarules
Link to post
Share on other sites

So got my wife and I got second shot about 2 wks ago....I want to get back to semi normal but my kids havent gotten the shot yet so my wife is not comfortable with us doing anything ...im flying to Florida in a few weeks and she wants me to quarantine for a week when I get back and get a test before seeing the kids.  

.Ive seen some articles about carrying and passing on the virus even after vaccination but nothing conclusive... Any idea when theyll know more on this issue? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.

Anything at this large of a scale will be a mess. No matter what we did it was unavoidable. Comparing it Ticketmaster or getting a PS5 is correct because that’s what happens when demand far exceeds supply.

As a retail pharmacy that got the vaccine in earlier than most, we were flying blind. Every day there were different instructions or rumors of what might happen. In anticipation, we tried to make a waiting list and collect pertinent information like age, health condition and occupation so that we would be able to sort the waitlist and adjust by what categories they decide to prioritize. That was a huge mistake and we got bombarded by thousands of people and made our jobs impossible even before getting the vaccine.

Then in the days before we got the vaccine we find out the scheduling system will be public and we will have little control over who gets appointments. When the appointments got loaded we tried to contact those on the waitlist but most missed out because it was a free-for-all and we were one of only 6 pharmacies in Phoenix metro to get the vaccine. There were weeks of screaming about how we let them down and weren’t taking care of them.

But things have progressed, more vaccine is available, probably 20-30x more pharmacies have the vaccine and they’ve been figure out what works. Mass vaccination sites will fill up within hours of releasing appointments once new groups become available. With the vaccine more widely distributed, you’re more likely to be able to go to your regular pharmacy and sign up for an appointment within a couple weeks. It’s no longer a few places with a 100 people fighting for each appointment spot. We used to release appointments and they’d be filled within hours, now it will take days. We’re not far from a time when we might not fill all of our appointments. That’s probably a couple months off.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

I had signed up on the NJ state website and got classified as 1C despite clearly being an essential worker, work in health and safety, and have been dealing directly with testing for the virus. Have heard basically nothing so far.

But got a hookup through a co-worker who had a connection through a government/charity group that was specifically tasked with vaccinating a specific high risk group. But they were consistently at risk of wasting shots because of factors related to the high risk group they are vaccinating, so if you have a connection, you can get signed up with them to get a vaccine if they inevitably end up with extras the day they are giving them. I didn’t quite feel right about it still and passed up the opportunity.

My wife has MS which puts her in a slightly higher risk category. She wasn’t having any luck either and put up a post on FB complaining about that. Turns out someone she knows is some sort of worker who helps find people appointments. Within 24 hours she got both of us scheduled for our first and second doses at a fairly nearby CVS. Scheduled for first dose this coming Friday.

I just happened to be online when Cooper sent out an email saying that the state was opening vaccines to people aged 16-64 with at least one high-risk condition, and that Camden County had set up a vaccination site at the county college that you could sign up for via Cooper or one other health system. My wife and I qualified so I got us on the list that night. We had our first shots on Monday and our seconds are scheduled for March 29. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I just happened to be online when Cooper sent out an email saying that the state was opening vaccines to people aged 16-64 with at least one high-risk condition, and that Camden County had set up a vaccination site at the county college that you could sign up for via Cooper or one other health system. My wife and I qualified so I got us on the list that night. We had our first shots on Monday and our seconds are scheduled for March 29. 

I love seeing more people post that they're becoming eligible or getting their shots, but it also increases my frustration over what a cluster Washington is.  On Tuesday they issued updates for the first time in three weeks, finally giving some additional guidance on when we'll hit some upcoming phases.  We've been in the same phase (1B1) for over two months.  They estimate people here 16-64 with two risk factors will become eligible around April 26.  And god only knows when those with one or none will be in the queue - that April 26 phase is the last one they've listed, with anything after that marked as "more phases to come."  

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I love seeing more people post that they're becoming eligible or getting their shots, but it also increases my frustration over what a cluster Washington is.  On Tuesday they issued updates for the first time in three weeks, finally giving some additional guidance on when we'll hit some upcoming phases.  We've been in the same phase (1B1) for over two months.  They estimate people here 16-64 with two risk factors will become eligible around April 26.  And god only knows when those with one or none will be in the queue - that April 26 phase is the last one they've listed, with anything after that marked as "more phases to come."  

We're going to see a major uptick in how much vaccine is available, so I would be shocked if those timetables don't get accelerated eventually. Good luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one who "qualified" as obese for BMI purposes at 200ish. I used to be 330 lbs in college so maybe it would still somewhat be relevant for me based on history. 

But either way, I happily signed up once I lucked into an availability and didn't feel at all guilty about it being some kind of loophole. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

We're going to see a major uptick in how much vaccine is available, so I would be shocked if those timetables don't get accelerated eventually. Good luck. 

These allegedly are the accelerated timetables here.  Regardless, you guys are at least two months ahead of us.  

Lest I seem only to complain about the handling of this here, I'll share a nice story.  My town has a large Native American population nearby (Suquamish tribe), and this week they announced they'd be vaccinating the entirety of our school system - teachers and other school workers - through their tribal vaccination program starting next week.  :thumbup:  

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

So got my wife and I got second shot about 2 wks ago....I want to get back to semi normal but my kids havent gotten the shot yet so my wife is not comfortable with us doing anything ...im flying to Florida in a few weeks and she wants me to quarantine for a week when I get back and get a test before seeing the kids.  

.Ive seen some articles about carrying and passing on the virus even after vaccination but nothing conclusive... Any idea when theyll know more on this issue? 

How old are the kids?  Are they in school?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Honestly, the vaccination systems seem totally insane to me. None of it makes sense, and lot of the time it just seems to be that it’s dumb luck or who you know that can get you a vaccine.

The bolded is more prevalent than you might think unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday at 7 I can make an appointment to schedule my first dose.

Much of TN moving to phase 1c (16 and up with other conditions...for me its Asthma and High Blood Pressure)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 4:04 PM, jobarules said:

I am 6'1" 250. I'm fat. Everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy when I tell them I'm obese. Only my stomach is big.

Anyway, i have a 33 BMI. The minimum threshold to get the vaccine is 30. I'm getting the shot tomorrow.

BMI is kind of stupid because it doesn't take into account muscle. Not that I have muscle but I'd have to be 185 to be considered healthy weight. I'd look like a crack addict. I'm happiest at 220 so I do have 30lbs to lose. Considering I started the year at 266 I'm on my way.

Societal standards are skewed toward an unhealthy weight for men. Like it or not, you’re almost certainly obese. Perhaps more importantly, central adiposity (big stomach) is associated with a host of chronic diseases.

You definitely should get vaccinated ASAP, and keep up whatever you’re doing to lose the weight.

Quote

Studies have shown people with obesity are more likely to have worse outcomes from COVID-19 than others with a lower body mass index (BMI).

Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill found people with a BMI above 30 had a 113% higher risk for hospitalization, a 74% higher risk for ICU admission and a 48% higher risk of death, according to a study published in August 2020 in Obesity Reviews.

At first, health experts believed people with obesity were more at risk for severe COVID-19 because the disease also is associated with numerous underlying risk factors including hypertension, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney and liver disease.

But after controlling for those factors, researchers found people with obesity were still at higher risk for COVID-19, said Dr. Rekha Kumar, medical director of the American Board of Obesity Medicine and associate professor of clinical medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine. This may be partly due to the excess fat tissue producing more inflammation, she said.

 

Edited by Terminalxylem
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to you guys who have a state site to sign up. Here in ohio I have no idea when I'm going to be eligible. 

On a sad note,  a good friend of mine from high school, his mom passed away from covid last night. She had been getting better and it looked like she had beaten it then... bam... gone. 😪

Edited by top dog
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

It'd definitely a guideline and muscle mass can screw with it.  Saquon Barkley isn't fat.

All the BMI math does (using height and weight as the inputs) is make it so that you have a measure of mass that is uncorrelated with height.  Obviously height and weight go up together (on average), but BMI doesn't follow height.  It's almost entirely independent.

This is true, but there is plenty of data showing BMI correlates to health and disease. Moreover, on a population level, BMI tends to underestimate body fat, not overstate it, as implied by people attributing high BMIs to excess muscle mass/big frame/etc. 

And most of the guys writing off BMIs in excess of 30 look nothing like Saquon, or even Charles Barkley.

Edited by Terminalxylem
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

This is true, but there is plenty of data showing BMI correlates to health and disease. Moreover, on a population level, BMI tends to underestimate body fat, not overstate it, as implied by people attributing high BMIs to excess muscle mass/big frame/etc. 

And most of the guys writing off BMIs in excess of 30 look nothing like Saquon, or even Charles Barkley.

Oh, for sure.  Was just agreeing that a lot of muscle mass can mess up the raw #s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

This is true, but there is plenty of data showing BMI correlates to health and disease. Moreover, on a population level, BMI tends to underestimate body fat, not overstate it, as implied by people attributing high BMIs to excess muscle mass/big frame/etc. 

And most of the guys writing off BMIs in excess of 30 look nothing like Saquon, or even Charles Barkley.

To be fair, Charles Barkley is pretty fat...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 1:55 PM, nirad3 said:

I just went to a website California has to see if you're eligible.  There was a question about health conditions, one of which was "obesity".  I would be considered "obese" by the standard BMI chart that is widely accepted.  I did not check that I was obese, maybe I should have.  Wonder if that would have changed anything.  I don't consider myself overly obese.  I could stand to lose 15-20 pounds, maybe more... but by no means am I a huge fat slob.  :lol: 

 

Your BMI has to be over 40 in CA to qualify 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 8:27 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

So that is my concern:  that we all send our kids back full time, so the distancing is gone due to class-size and masks aren't required either.  We all know kids get sick and bring home flu and other fun stuff in normal years.  Why would COVID be different?  Maybe kids don't get sick or as sick, but they certainly could spread it like they do every other thing.

Because it is a different virus? 

Any number of reasons.

Kids have different immume systems and we know there are other diseases that adults and children react to differently. This isnt some crazy new concept. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

To be fair, Charles Barkley is pretty fat...

He’s 6’6” and weighs 251 pounds. We’ve got a couple guys in the last two pages who weigh about the same, yet scoff at the idea of being obese, despite being half a foot shorter.

But yeah, even “skinny” Chuck Barkley’s BMI is 29.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

He’s 6’6” and weighs 251 pounds. We’ve got a couple guys in the last two pages who weigh about the same, yet scoff at the idea of being obese, despite being half a foot shorter.

But yeah, even “skinny” Chuck Barkley’s BMI is 29.

Who scoffed at it? I literally called myself obese in the post you replied to and decided to pile on for no reason whatsoever. Your bedside manner sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...