What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

Is it possible to do something virtuous without seeking attention for such action?

I think mask-wearing is more a function of genuine concern, desire to abide by rules and a little conformity. But I live a place where people behave differently than elsewhere in the US.
On the first part, 100%, it is possible.   My comment was based on observation in my own liberal utopian bubble --- lots of virtue signaling and lots of shaming that goes on in this bubble.  It's insane.

Hope that you are right on the 2nd part, and that for the most part people are behaving out of rational, genuine concern.

I don’t recall this ever being determined, and I don’t think it’s correct either.

Also, SARS-CoV-2 spreads more effectively than influenza under most (all?) conditions. Coupled with 100% of the population being susceptible (initially), it's not surprising it didn’t die off last summer.

It won’t disappear this summer either, but widespread vaccination + prior infection will certainly help in the US.
Read this

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/health/masks-outdoors-need/index.html

You're obviously missing my point dude. I'm not talking about 2020 flu cases.

On the first part, 100%, it is possible.   My comment was based on observation in my own liberal utopian bubble --- lots of virtue signaling and lots of shaming that goes on in this bubble.  It's insane.

Hope that you are right on the 2nd part, and that for the most part people are behaving out of rational, genuine concern.
Well, in my island utopian bubble, also liberal, I’ve not witnessed any shaming. Hard to know with virtue signaling, but I don’t think there is much here FWIW.

So the article talks about vaccinated people and outdoors.  That 18.7 times more likely to catch it indoors.

That covid does not "die out"  in heat and humidity but slows down but  the flu virus literally does not survive in heat and humidity.

I'm shuked on the argument.  
I don’t think anyone is arguing it’s easily transmitted outdoors.

And most people aren’t assuming it behaves exactly like the flu.

It’s less common [to get the flu in summer] because influenza is a cyclical virus, but it doesn’t go away completely,” Dr. Romero explains. 

Because less people get sick with the flu in the warmer months, the influenza virus doesn’t have the same opportunity to spread as it does in the fall and winter. In summer of 2019, about 1,700 people tested positive for influenza A and B in the United States between May 19 and Sep. 28, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

No it doesn't survive the heat and humidity better. CDC basically admit it. If people gather more indoors due to the heat, how come flu season dies in summer?
Please link to something that states that COVID-19 doesn't survive in heat and humidity better than the flu. 

COVID also is obviously more contagious than the flu and spreads more via aerosol than flu does. 

Also, flu does not disappear completely in the summer -- but there certainly is more immunity in the population from vaccinations and previous infections over the years than we had from COVID last summer (and this summer).

Please link to something that states that COVID-19 doesn't survive in heat and humidity better than the flu. 

COVID also is obviously more contagious than the flu and spreads more via aerosol than flu does. 

Also, flu does not disappear completely in the summer -- but there certainly is more immunity in the population from vaccinations and previous infections over the years than we had from COVID last summer (and this summer).
Narrator: there isn't.   

It's been historically proven the flu virus does not thrive in humidity and heat but still exists as the 2019 study showed people getting the flu in the summer.  The coronavirus has shown it's not seasonal. Maybe slightly less survivability for longer periods of time but there is no study that says coronavirus and flu are the same in heat and humidity.

Someone may want to inform the director of the CDC ....

"We have not seen seasonal trends,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director, said in a news conference when asked if spring and summer temperatures alone may curb the deadly virus.

Walensky, along with White House pandemic advisers Andy Slavitt and Dr. Anthony Fauci, urged Americans to focus not on the weather but on getting vaccinated, maintaining social distancing and wearing masks at a time when cases are again spiking across the country.

Even with “modest declines in the contagiousness” of COVID-19 “in warmer, wetter weather ... it is not reasonable to expect these declines alone to slow transmission enough to make a big dent,” he wrote

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2021/04/warm-weather-wont-stop-covid-top-public-us-health-officials-say-while-stressing-vaccines-are-the-answer.html

Typical :fishing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/health/masks-outdoors-need/index.html

You're obviously missing my point dude. I'm not talking about 2020 flu cases.

OK. I read it. Now what?

Nothing in that article describes SARS-CoV-2 viability in hot, humid conditions, relative to the flu.

And to restate, SARS-CoV-2 doesn’t behave exactly like influenza because, well, they’re different viruses. 
Don't ruin it for him.  He likes to think it's more like the flu bro, it's easier that way. 

Getting ready to hire a bookkeeper that I will be an a small office with and around several hours a day.  I will be fully vaccinated in another 2 weeks.

1. Any issues with requiring vaccination as a condition of employment?  Google seems to say no.

2. Once you are vaccinated are you less contagious if exposed?

The US could do a lot of good and buy a lot of international good will by shipping unused doses of J&J and AZ to India right now.  We don't need them at this point, and our FDA is being irrational about them anyway, so why not put them to good use?

It would be good use of all that J&J vaccine capacity we have now if not for how the FDA botched things.   "We have some left over stuff that is so dangerous we yanked it from the market, or never approved it.  Should be good for you though,"    

It would be good use of all that J&J vaccine capacity we have now if not for how the FDA botched things.   "We have some left over stuff that is so dangerous we yanked it from the market, or never approved it.  Should be good for you though,"    
Obviously I agree about the FDA, but I'll bet most Indians would be happy to overlook the incompetence of US regulators.  

The US could do a lot of good and buy a lot of international good will by shipping unused doses of J&J and AZ to India right now.  We don't need them at this point, and our FDA is being irrational about them anyway, so why not put them to good use?
Absolutely agree.  Have been wondering why the media isn’t discussing this, and then I realized the media is a) scientifically illiterate, b) lacks vision.

Politicians should push for this too.  But....well, see previous paragraph.

Absolutely agree.  Have been wondering why the media isn’t discussing this, and then I realized the media is a) scientifically illiterate, b) lacks vision.

Politicians should push for this too.  But....well, see previous paragraph.
Gotta remember ... to the popular media, J&J vaccine = Insta-Blood-Clot. Like, 100% of the time. No nuance. No scientific understanding. No understanding of large numbers and degrees of collective risk.

Until the first person dies from a clot and we are the country killing <insert color here> people.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
Just an FYI, about 21% of new cases in the US are in children.

Still not nearly as dangerous to them as adults, but not risk-free either.
Of course it is.  We went from schools closed or in remote/hybrid to now having schools opening at full or near full capacity.  Masks required, but hard to enforce on kids.  Distancing reduced from 6ft down to 3ft -- which in reality probably turns into something less than 3ft.  Kids are in sports again as well at near full capacity.

Of course it is.  We went from schools closed or in remote/hybrid to now having schools opening at full or near full capacity.  Masks required, but hard to enforce on kids.  Distancing reduced from 6ft down to 3ft -- which in reality probably turns into something less than 3ft.  Kids are in sports again as well at near full capacity.
And adults are vaccinated

Premature? I realize this is Yahoo via The Telegraph (UK), but still:

Covid pandemic over in Britain, say experts

Britain is no longer in a pandemic, experts have said, as new data showed the vaccination programme is reducing symptomatic Covid infections by up to 90 per cent.

In the first large real-world study of the impact of vaccination on the general population, researchers found that the rollout is having a major impact on cutting both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

Sarah Walker, Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at Oxford and Chief Investigator on the Office for National Statistics Covid-19 Infection Survey, said that Britain had ‘moved from a pandemic to an endemic situation’ where the virus is circulating at a low, largely controllable level in the community.

The new research, based on throat swabs from 373,402 people between December 1 last year and April 3, found three weeks after one dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca jab, symptomatic infections fell by 74 per cent and infections without symptoms by 57 per cent.

By two doses, asymptomatic infections were down 70 per cent and symptomatic by 90 per cent.

If only we had a vaccine that worked on kids. 
Why doesn't it work in kids?  
The vaccines do work in kids. I think Alex was lampooning the stance that "since the vaccines weren't specifically tested in kids, we. just. don't. know." Of course we've known the vaccines work in kids. What we didn't know was whether or not there was a highly unlikely side effect of some kind that would present in vaccinated children and scare people off vaccinating their kids.

The bar for a children's vaccine to be considered safe by the general public in 2021 America is high. A one-in-a-million problem -- like the blood clots -- could put the brakes on real quick.

Curious what peoples thoughts are on this mask:  https://o2canada.com/products/o2-curve-1-2?variant=32523139383395

Yes, the University of Waterloo Green Energy and Pollution Control Research Laboratory tested the O2 Curve against other commercially available respirators, with particles ranging from 0.5 µm to 4.7 µm. The O2 Curve outperformed the other respirators tested, which included a leading brand disposable N95 respirator, however it is important to note that this study did not specifically include the most penetrating particle size of 0.3 µm in the NIOSH N95 certification, and the testing methodology was not identical to the NIOSH standard. The University of Waterloo study used a flow rate of 32 L / min, which is based on the average work of breathing when doing light physical work. The NIOSH testing standard is 85 L / min, which is based on the average work of breathing when doing heavy physical work, or running at high speed.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1056/9620/files/O2_Curve_Performance_Research_Summary_2.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLjf9jNeT0&t=2s

https://www.reviewed.com/health/content/review-o2-industries-o2-curve-respirator-mask

Seems its not as good as N95, but close.  Looking at options since im going to be traveling heavy again so i figured i would ask the FBG experts. 

Thanks.

The United States added more than 3.3 million Covid-19 vaccine shots to its cumulative tally Friday, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

This is the largest single-day increase reported this week, but still leaves the United States short of the daily average peak reached in early April. 

The seven-day average of new Covid-19 shots reported administered continued to fall, and now sits at 2,862,758. This is the second consecutive day this average has been under 3 million. The United States has not seen a seven-day average for vaccination below 3 million for two days in a row since April 2.

The average pace of new shots reported administered has been greater than 3 million shots per day for most of April, reaching a peak of nearly 3.4 million shots per day on April 13.  

By the numbers: More than 200 million Covid-19 vaccine shots have been reported administered since President Biden took office, reaching a threshold the administration had set for Biden’s 100th day in office about a week early.

About 41% of the US population – over 137 million people – have received at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine, and about 28% of the population – more than 90 million people – are fully vaccinated, CDC data shows. 

Here is what is happening in my school district.  My son has been cyber all year.

Since our opening of full in-person learning on March 22 we had 178 students reported as testing positive for Covid-19 in 16 different schools, and 13 staff in eight of our 16 schools. As a result, we had to quarantine more than 1,800 students for 7-10 days. During this time, these students temporarily switched to remote learning. Most of these cases have been reported by parents of students attending our secondary schools. (136 cases)

Maybe.  We should just start vaccinating 12-15 year olds in the meantime.
I think that group is in phase 3 for Pfizer.  Not sure Moderna.  
Both have ongoing trials for that age group. Pfizer has finished some portion of their juvenile trials, actually.

IIRC, Moderna started trials for ages 6 months - 11 years before their trials for 12-15 year olds. Pfizer did it the other way around -- older kids first.

As all of us expected within 60 seconds of the pause, the FDA review panel has apparently recommended that the J&J vaccine move forward again, this time with a warning attached.  The people killed by the FDA's original suspension are already dead or on ventilators so they won't be able to complain, but I'm sure they would be happy to know that the FDA finally reached the same conclusion that the rest of us reached weeks ago.

Edit: It's a CDC panel, not an FDA panel.  My bad.

Curious what peoples thoughts are on this mask:  https://o2canada.com/products/o2-curve-1-2?variant=32523139383395

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1056/9620/files/O2_Curve_Performance_Research_Summary_2.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLjf9jNeT0&t=2s

https://www.reviewed.com/health/content/review-o2-industries-o2-curve-respirator-mask

Seems its not as good as N95, but close.  Looking at options since im going to be traveling heavy again so i figured i would ask the FBG experts. 

Thanks.
Why not just get N95s?

ETA: just watched that video for a bit. This has to be trolling. That is a freaking nutt hutt.

As all of us expected within 60 seconds of the pause, the FDA review panel has apparently recommended that the J&J vaccine move forward again, this time with a warning attached.  The people killed by the FDA's original suspension are already dead or on ventilators so they won't be able to complain, but I'm sure they would be happy to know that the FDA finally reached the same conclusion that the rest of us reached weeks ago.

Edit: It's a CDC panel, not an FDA panel.  My bad.
Appears the other option is worse.

Then the CDC ran some projections…

What happens if JJ vaccination resumes tomorrow for all adults (compared to stopping JJ altogether)?

Harm: 26-45 more cases

Benefit: Avert 1,435 deaths and 2,236 ICU admissions

What happens if JJ vaccination resumes tomorrow in adults aged 50+ years only (compared to stopped JJ altogether)?

Harm: 2-3 more cases

Benefit: Avert 257 deaths and 779 ICU admissions

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/acip-meeting-cliff-notes-j-and-j

Users who are viewing this thread