What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

What were you sourcing when you posted? Was it something on the WHO's website directly? Was is something heard on the radio or seen on TV? Something in the local paper?

You dropped something of a controversial statement without backup. You can understand that people will want to peel back the layers and know where the statements are coming from.
Threshold is 7% of all deaths.  Covid deaths as a % of all deaths peaked on WW17.  

Even if you cherry pick the worst 5 states, they are below 5%, and that leaves the remainder at 3.4% for prior 7 days.  

Just using worldometer numbers.  Sue me if they are not right.

ETA we are in WW25 now.  So we are 8 weeks past the peak death count with zero sign of this picking up steam except I suppose a small blip on WW19 (still declining)

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people are fixated on the deaths, and with good reason.  If this thing has suddenly stopped killing people, we need to totally re-assess everything.  If we are sitting here in a month and nothing has changed in that area, I'll have an entirely different outlook on this thing.

But temporarily, I'm going to start tracking deaths in the outbreak states ONLY.  From what I can tell, there are 21 states where you could classify covid as being in an outbreak.

(CA, TX, FL, AZ, GA, NC, LA, OH, TN, SC, AL, WA, WI, MS, UT, MO, AK, NV, OK, KS, NM)

Deaths over the last 2 weeks.  Draw your own conclusions, but you can clearly see that deaths are not slowing down.  Last week we saw week over week increases on 5 of 7 days, despite just having a holiday weekend.

T Jun 23: 437

W Jun 24: 458

Th Jun 25: 342

F Jun 26: 327

S Jun 27:261

Su Jun 28: 122

M Jun 29: 182

T Jun 30: 479

W July 1: 428

Th July 2: 418

F July 3: 357

S July 4: 134

Su July 5: 133

M July 6: 276

Staggering numbers out of AZ after the holiday weekend. 117 deaths mainly due to a lag in reporting this weekend. 3653 new cases with a 33%(!) positive rate. Arizona’s positive rate has always been a bit inflated because antibody tests are added to the PCR. Usually there are 2000-3000 antibody tests, today only 486, so there is minimal antibody influence on they 33% positive rate.

Hospital numbers continue to surge as well.

Staggering numbers out of AZ after the holiday weekend. 117 deaths mainly due to a lag in reporting this weekend. 3653 new cases with a 33%(!) positive rate. Arizona’s positive rate has always been a bit inflated because antibody tests are added to the PCR. Usually there are 2000-3000 antibody tests, today only 486, so there is minimal antibody influence on they 33% positive rate.

117 is huge for Arizona, but yeah they reported a total of 5 deaths for the two previous days.

33% positive rate is horrific. Sad to hear, thanks for sharing.

Threshold is 7% of all deaths.
Is it? Where is this supported?

Covid deaths as a % of all deaths peaked on WW17.  

Even if you cherry pick the worst 5 states, they are below 5%, and that leaves the remainder at 3.4% for prior 7 days.  

Just using worldometer numbers.  Sue me if they are not right.

ETA we are in WW25 now.  So we are 8 weeks past the peak death count with zero sign of this picking up steam except I suppose a small blip on WW19 (still declining)
I could not find the data in red on Worldometers. I also searched for the "WW17", "WW25", etc. terms and found nothing.

If this is on Worldometers, could you at least let us know the section(s) in which you found it? Does Worldometers also have "all deaths" numbers for the U.S.?

117 is huge for Arizona, but yeah they reported a total of 5 deaths for the two previous days.

33% positive rate is horrific. Sad to hear, thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately testing and reporting of hospitalizations and deaths are delayed and backlogged by weeks. They stated that about half these new deaths were due to death certificate matching. This has happened a couple times before. Some of the speculation is that it’s accounting for people who are dying at home rather than in the hospital.

33% means they're not testing enough, not a surprise considering how they've handled this.

I wasn't able to post Connecticut's numbers for 3 days, because the numbers weren't published until now.  In the last 3 days:

Deaths - 3 - lowest previous 3 day total was 4, when CT recorded it's first 4 deaths from 18 thru 20 March
Testing - 259 positives out of 24692 tests = 1.05% positivity; keeps current 17 day stretch under 1%
Hospitalizations - a decrease of 26, brings statewide total down to 69; lowest since 23 March when total was only 54

Bars never did reopen, but were scheduled to.  Governor Lamont made the right call to keep them closed indefinitely after seeing the pain other states went through.  Mask usage nearly 100% everywhere you look. 

Is it? Where is this supported?

I could not find the data in red on Worldometers. I also searched for the "WW17", "WW25", etc. terms and found nothing.

If this is on Worldometers, could you at least let us know the section(s) in which you found it? Does Worldometers also have "all deaths" numbers for the U.S.?
7% of all deaths is an "epidemic". A pandemic is multiple countries meeting that figure.  

The math is relatively simple.  The WW number is my own construction as that's how I track work and align weeks across different sources. It's an excel function, tbh.  

I don't necessarily expect this to hold up but the death trend continues to be profoundly positive.  

This does assume that excess mortality figures are not ####### with these numbers, but even that is tracking well now on other sites.  It's for sure something worth watching.  

7% of all deaths is an "epidemic". A pandemic is multiple countries meeting that figure.  

The math is relatively simple.  The WW number is my own construction as that's how I track work and align weeks across different sources. It's an excel function, tbh.  

I don't necessarily expect this to hold up but the death trend continues to be profoundly positive.  

This does assume that excess mortality figures are not ####### with these numbers, but even that is tracking well now on other sites.  It's for sure something worth watching.  
The death trend is only positive in states where you'd expect it to be positive, aka, states where they've gotten this under control.

Same goes for countries where they've gotten this under control.

Most places are in a better position today than they were 2 months ago.  There are a few notable exceptions of course.

A lot of people are fixated on the deaths, and with good reason.  If this thing has suddenly stopped killing people, we need to totally re-assess everything.  If we are sitting here in a month and nothing has changed in that area, I'll have an entirely different outlook on this thing.

But temporarily, I'm going to start tracking deaths in the outbreak states ONLY.  From what I can tell, there are 21 states where you could classify covid as being in an outbreak.

(CA, TX, FL, AZ, GA, NC, LA, OH, TN, SC, AL, WA, WI, MS, UT, MO, AK, NV, OK, KS, NM)

Deaths over the last 2 weeks.  Draw your own conclusions, but you can clearly see that deaths are not slowing down.  Last week we saw week over week increases on 5 of 7 days, despite just having a holiday weekend.

Please keep tracking this for a few more weeks.  Very interested, thanx.

I follow you about your Excel sheet and your own offline tracking.

I am still stuck on finding a source that ties percentages of deaths** to the definitions of "epidemic" or "pandemic". Is that a nonce definition of your own creation for the purposes of your data analysis? Or did you ever see it, hear it, or read it somewhere?

** EDIT: That is, "Deaths from <Disease X> / Total of All Deaths"

I follow you about your Excel sheet and your own offline tracking.

I am still stuck on finding a source that ties percentages of deaths** to the definitions of "epidemic" or "pandemic". Is that a nonce definition of your own creation for the purposes of your data analysis? Or did you ever see it, hear it, or read it somewhere?

** EDIT: That is, "Deaths from <Disease X> / Total of All Deaths"
I'll dig that out. It was from early on in this crisis.  That was from here sourced as the level at which who would declare an epidemic.  The US has been above that level more or less for the prior 13 weeks dating back to early April. 

Long Island has around 2.9 million residents.

1.0% testing positive yesterday with around 10,000 tests conducted. 1.0% positive rate has been the norm for a while now, around 2-3 weeks.

104 people in the hospital, 15 in the ICU. Long Island has around 30 hospitals, including some of the best in the country. 

When I go out to dinner outside on Friday night, I'll wear a mask everywhere except at the table and so will everyone else.

Went to Lowe's this weekend, 100% mask usage.

Wife went inside grocery store Sunday, 100% mask usage.

When the government starts rolling with "we have to learn to live with this", and they will roll that out soon, it doesn't mean just run out to the bar like pre-pandemic days. It means going out for only essential things, staying 6-8 feet apart always, wearing a mask always, and washing your hands a lot. When you do all of these things and get to numbers like the above numbers, then you can go out to something non-essential once in a while to enjoy safely.

It's not even that hard. But the U.S.? We're like "nope, not doing that." It's unbelievable every day.

Got my antibodies test back today after giving blood on June 20. NEGATIVE. Whatever I had that damn near killed me in late December / January was not COVID.  :kicksrock:

33% means they're not testing enough, not a surprise considering how they've handled this.
Yeah they only had 10k tests reported after the holiday delay. Typically it’s 15-17k, twice the tests were expected. I believe they are triaging the test results with people showing symptoms getting results first.

When the government starts rolling with "we have to learn to live with this", and they will roll that out soon, it doesn't mean just run out to the bar like pre-pandemic days. It means going out for only essential things, staying 6-8 feet apart always, wearing a mask always, and washing your hands a lot. When you do all of these things and get to numbers like the above numbers, then you can go out to something non-essential once in a while to enjoy safely.

It's not even that hard. But the U.S.? We're like "nope, not doing that." It's unbelievable every day.
The closest city to us and then where I live both passed ordinances requiring face coverings inside and out with exceptions for health reasons and eating at a restaurant. The "you can't take my freedom" crowd is going crazy with unconstitutionality & light up the phone lines & emails. Luckily most places I've been to, mask usage is already pretty strong but not 100%.

Beginning to really despise these people because no matter what you do, you'll never convince them. They could be lying in a hospital bed with oxygen on still arguing about not having to wear a mask.

Slammed with COVID patients, Miami-Dade’s public hospital asks state for 100 nurses

>> DeSantis announced the aid on Tuesday at a press conference in Miami, saying the state will send 100 “contract personnel, mostly nurses, to be able to augment [Jackson Health’s] operations.” DeSantis said the nurses are needed to help isolate and treat people coming into the hospitals for non-COVID related reasons and then testing positive.

About 30% to 40% of non-COVID patients at Jackson hospitals have come into the health system only to test positive in the last two weeks, according to internal data shared by the hospital network.

Jackson has dealt with a month’s worth of steadily rising COVID patients, with the bulk of them coming from some of the county’s poorest zip codes. Migoya, the CEO, has said that the hospital has been seeing waves of younger, working-age patients who have no choice but to work and, in turn, expose themselves to the virus.

More recently, internal data from Jackson shows that the hospital system is now seeing a larger number of older patients as well. <<

Um, unless I am missing something, they are not exactly going up like you predicted either. 

Long Island has around 2.9 million residents.

1.0% testing positive yesterday with around 10,000 tests conducted. 1.0% positive rate has been the norm for a while now, around 2-3 weeks.

104 people in the hospital, 15 in the ICU. Long Island has around 30 hospitals, including some of the best in the country. 

When I go out to dinner outside on Friday night, I'll wear a mask everywhere except at the table and so will everyone else.

Went to Lowe's this weekend, 100% mask usage.

Wife went inside grocery store Sunday, 100% mask usage.

Whereabouts (roughly) are you on The Island. NW Suffolk here. A whole #### ton of "Open 'er up!" in the roughly 50-60 age group in these parts

Um, unless I am missing something, they are not exactly going up like you predicted either. 
In Florida, the 7-day moving average for daily deaths has fluctuated between 35 and 50 for the last 3 months. There has been a trend the last month from about 35 to 50, not dramatic like the rise in positive cases, but not dying out like some claim. Younger cases, better and earlier treatment, nursing home precautions, and IMO, more cautious behavior by those with the highest risk, have reduced the mortality rate.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article242270081.html

Whereabouts (roughly) are you on The Island. NW Suffolk here. A whole #### ton of "Open 'er up!" in the roughly 50-60 age group in these parts
I know those people well. They're in my family. Well my wife's family actually. My wife's stylist (she makes her living at the salon so I get it). And on it goes, so I hear you. I am in Setauket, Three Village School District. 

The good news for LI is phase 4 starts tomorrow, so there isn't that much more left to "Open Up!" People are tending to stay smart on this still by staying apart from strangers and wearing masks in public. If we are diligent, we can have everything stay open and get better as time goes on.

The first thing I worry about is multi-generational gatherings. Second is mask fatigue. Third is bar/club activity. Unfortunately I think these 3 things will lead to an uptick in cases in 4-8 weeks.

I'm not predicting deaths to rise.  I am not an important person.

Deaths will rise, because that's what happens when this virus starts spreading.  This has nothing to do with me.  

If the deaths don't rise, it's because something has changed, and unless you have a link for what has changed, it would be absurd to assume that something has changed.

Also, as I pointed out, deaths actually DID rise week over week in 5 of the 7 days last week.  So yeah, they are slowly going up, as we know that they will.

I know those people well. They're in my family. Well my wife's family actually. My wife's stylist (she makes her living at the salon so I get it). And on it goes, so I hear you. I am in Setauket, Three Village School District. 

The good news for LI is phase 4 starts tomorrow, so there isn't that much more left to "Open Up!" People are tending to stay smart on this still by staying apart from strangers and wearing masks in public. If we are diligent, we can have everything stay open and get better as time goes on.

The first thing I worry about is multi-generational gatherings. Second is mask fatigue. Third is bar/club activity. Unfortunately I think these 3 things will lead to an uptick in cases in 4-8 weeks.
Home town of Hauppauge and now up in Centerport. People have been great up here. Far more deniers down along the 25 corridor.

In Florida, the 7-day moving average for daily deaths has fluctuated between 35 and 50 for the last 3 months. There has been a trend the last month from about 35 to 50, not dramatic like the rise in positive cases, but not dying out like some claim. Younger cases, better and earlier treatment, nursing home precautions, and IMO, more cautious behavior by those with the highest risk, have reduced the mortality rate.

Younger cases was true, but that median age is slowly going up from 33 2 weeks ago, to 40 today.

It's probably important for someone, anyone to state what the overall objective is.

• Active cases per 100k?  What do we consider safe? 100 seems ok for some areas?
  • Testing positive %?  Seems like we like a number under 5%.
  • Growth rate?  Ro of 1 seems the going figure quoted
  • Death rate? What is acceptable?  Trending towards an IFR of <1%?
  • Hospital rate.  Seems a very loosely categorized figure in and of itself, more or less a moving target.
I just don't know what's considered good enough to have schools, sports, a lap dance?  The lack of clarity on this is causing a lot of confusion.

Those charts show that Florida is around 1-2 weeks away from seeing the deaths rise at the same rate the new cases starting rising on approximately June 15th. It takes that long for the lag. 

At this point it would be smart to go back to Phase 1 or Stay-at-home for all non-essentials, masks 100%, just essential trips only, statewide, immediately. Close everything down except essentials again for around 70-80 days, then when things look better go back to Phase 2. No bars, no restaurants, no amusement parks, no beaches, no retail stores. Sorry Florida. The good news is if you do this diligently, you'll be in really good shape in 90 days or so.

Had you locked down for the full 70-80 days in the first place starting March 15th, instead of for only 45 days, you wouldn't be in this position. That "lockdown" has now been squandered.

Where do those numbers of days come from? Go to the data for countries that went through a full curve, even the ones that were hit hard. Italy, Spain, Wuhan, South Korea, etc. The bell curve shape is what you should highlight. It goes up steeply, and comes down stubbornly. And it takes that many days, around 70-80. Not fewer. If your state doesn't have a curve like that, then the lockdown wasn't successful. Florida is starting to go up the mountain now. Not good.

Sorry for repeating this regularly since early March, I know it's a tired trope already. But for those going through it badly, there are ways to beat this. Those states/regions need to stop being stubborn. The virus doesn't care about politics, or religion, or whatever the hangup is on not taking mitigation seriously.

Those charts show that Florida is around 1-2 weeks away from seeing the deaths rise at the same rate the new cases starting rising on approximately June 15th. It takes that long for the lag. 

At this point it would be smart to go back to Phase 1 or Stay-at-home for all non-essentials, masks 100%, just essential trips only, statewide, immediately. Close everything down except essentials again for around 70-80 days, then when things look better go back to Phase 2. No bars, no restaurants, no amusement parks, no beaches, no retail stores. Sorry Florida. The good news is if you do this diligently, you'll be in really good shape in 90 days or so.

Had you locked down for the full 70-80 days in the first place starting March 15th, instead of for only 45 days, you wouldn't be in this position. That "lockdown" has now been squandered.

Where do those numbers of days come from? Go to the data for countries that went through a full curve, even the ones that were hit hard. Italy, Spain, Wuhan, South Korea, etc. The bell curve shape is what you should highlight. It goes up steeply, and comes down stubbornly. And it takes that many days, around 70-80. Not fewer. If your state doesn't have a curve like that, then the lockdown wasn't successful. Florida is starting to go up the mountain now. Not good.

Sorry for repeating this regularly since early March, I know it's a tired trope already. But for those going through it badly, there are ways to beat this. Those states/regions need to stop being stubborn. The virus doesn't care about politics, or religion, or whatever the hangup is on not taking mitigation seriously.
Yeah, we literally have an entire world's worth of data.  What is coming should surprise no one

It's probably important for someone, anyone to state what the overall objective is.

• Active cases per 100k?  What do we consider safe? 100 seems ok for some areas?
  • Hospital rate.  Seems a very loosely categorized figure in and of itself, more or less a moving target.
I just don't know what's considered good enough to have schools, sports, a lap dance?  The lack of clarity on this is causing a lot of confusion.
Understood. This comes up a lot. States were largely left to develop their own metrics. NY has a detailed set of metrics. But anyone can feel free to start here:

The White House Guidelines for Reopening

Here are NY's metrics:

NY Reopening Dashboard

It includes Tracing/Testing targets, % of Positive Tests, Hospitalization Rate, and Hospitalization Capacity. With definitions. 

This type of information is available for many states, but not for all states.

But please all, resist the temptation to say "this thing changes so much" or "it's all so confusing it seems political so forget it". Those tend to be excuses for not taking mitigation seriously.

Unfortuantely, schools, sports and lap-dances are about as complicated as it gets. Risk/reward. Be smart. Kids need school. But do we really need that lapdance? Not now, not smart.

I don't think anybody does. In my county in IL, since this began in March, .1% of our population has tested positive for COVID and .047% have died (77% of those associated with LTC facilities) and people here are still unsure what to do about schools in the fall. 

Well, Florida is charging on ahead with school in the fall, come hell or high water(and since it's hurricane season, both are a possibility). This seems like a bad idea to me, but what do I know? I've only got 3 kids of elementary school age.
I'm sorry, I really am.  I feel like Florida is literally making every conceivable mistake possible right now and I feel for all the residents.  FL makes up 40% of my territory for work, I probably spend 3-5 weeks there a year, I adore the state, I'd love to move there one day, and so this makes me sick from afar.  

I'm sorry, I really am.  I feel like Florida is literally making every conceivable mistake possible right now and I feel for all the residents.  FL makes up 40% of my territory for work, I probably spend 3-5 weeks there a year, I adore the state, I'd love to move there one day, and so this makes me sick from afar.  
My kids go to a private school which is fairly small, so they'll have a better chance at avoiding it, but I hear you. Florida's an absolutely gorgeous state, and by and large, the people are friendly, too. It's just the crazy ones that spend too long in the Sun and get their brains fried. 

Yeah, we literally have an entire world's worth of data.  What is coming should surprise no one
Exactly. But what's interesting, and at least to me what's encouraging, is that there is literally a blueprint now for what definitely works to beat down the transmission rate to "acceptable" levels. Not a blueprint for what "might work" which is what we were dealing with at first, but a blueprint for what actually works. It's now proven, not speculative. We learned. It's up to us to take those learnings and beat this thing down.

Florida: If someone told you there are 6-7 things you can do starting now to get your COVID-19 deaths to single digits daily and have your hospitals be practically empty of COVID patients by September 30th, would you do them?

Ohio just mandated masks in the 7 counties with the worse data and you would think the governor killed everyone's first born child.  The responses on Facebook are ridiculous.  From "He is trying to control us"  to "he is trying to kill us from heat stroke".

Well, Florida is charging on ahead with school in the fall, come hell or high water(and since it's hurricane season, both are a possibility). This seems like a bad idea to me, but what do I know? I've only got 3 kids of elementary school age.
Good spot for me to jump in...

For anyone who did not know: All Restaurants are CLOSED in Miami and to my understanding that means no curbside which is sort of like a stay at home order. Many other types of businesses will be closed. Personally, the rate is so high down there and it's painfully obvious that people were never going to follow any of the social distancing, you almost wonder if they should test for people WHO HAVE NOT gotten the virus. 

BROWARD COUNTY: A copycat circus of leaders there, it would be surprising if they don't follow suit to what is happening in Miami/Dade.

Palm Beach County: Not sure yet but...it could happen here but it stops at PBC, can't ever see Martin County just North of here shutting down. They're shooting for herd immunity up there, don't even think they test despite their claims. 

Wife's Hospital will not report to the news but they are at FULL CAPACITY in their ICU.

And let me tell you what you heard coming out of the ICU beds if you were wondering who might be filling these beds..."They never told us we could actually get this." or..."I'm too young to be having these issues with the virus, they said we couldn't get sick" I'm just sharing what I know or have heard first hand, not trying to ramp things up or feed the need for Bad News, I prefer to try and put a sunshine spoin on most of these things but right now I would be doing the board a disservice by fibbing about what is really happening here. 

I want to connect all this to a greater urge or push for folks who haven't yet had to experience all of this happening around them, you should start planning now. You might not get your surge until October and I hope never but this thing will continue to spread slowly and then once it gets into populated areas it tends to move faster. 

They have ordered my wife BACK HOME, she was going 3 days on 2 days off, now it's full time at home and that causes a lot of strain with both of us working from home all day. But that's not a real problem right now, ICU Beds are a problem and hospitals not communicating with the local news affiliates could be a major issue if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread