What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately for Republicans and hard working Americans, we wont have to see what a global economic depression does to the lives lost count.

HINT:  it makes 60K look like a picnic
I don’t think this is as easy as that. The market crashed when the situation wasn’t being controlled. It’s still not being controlled. Honestly God Bless us all and hopefully this works out, but the history of the world has not solely been governed by foreseeable consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw something similar where a farmer took it upon himself to send to a food kitchen instead of just letting it rot and pouring out milk.

I can't understand how something like that is so difficult
Milk needs to be pasteurized to be safe to drink. Not something you can do on the farm.

it's a tradeoff
Pro tip: if a quote makes you look like a cartoon villain, in this case Lord Farquaad from Shrek, it might be time to reevaluate your priorities. This obsession with the economy over people's lives is a huge reason why I will not ever be voting for Trump or anyone who supports him.

Milk needs to be pasteurized to be safe to drink. Not something you can do on the farm.
Just like crops in the fields need to be picked and packaged and shipped in order to get them to food banks. They dont magically appear. 
meh...there's a point to milk processing.  For standard crops not so much.  Food banks don't need things in pretty packages.  I am pretty sure they'd settle for the crates/bags veggies and the like are put into initially at harvest.  That's how the one off farmers are doing it here in Florida.  Of course they are footing the bill themselves to get everything harvested.  If only the federal government would loosen the purse strings and give out some sort of support funds for events like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
meh...there's a point to milk processing.  For standard crops not so much.  Food banks don't need things in pretty packages.  I am pretty sure they'd settle for the crates/bags veggies and the like are put into initially at harvest.  That's how the one off farmers are doing it here in Florida.  Of course they are footing the bill themselves to get everything harvested.  If only the federal government would loosen the purse strings and give out some sort of support funds for events like this.
Produce is almost never packaged pretty. It still needs to be packaged. You cant just drop off a dump truck of beans at a food bank. 

Produce is almost never packaged pretty. It still needs to be packaged. You cant just drop off a dump truck of beans at a food bank. 
I know...that's why I said they are dumping things off in the same crates they use to ship to the packagers.  This isn't a herculean chore that can't be figured out.  It's already been figured out by many farmers and they're doing the right thing and helping the needy.  To me, it's appalling that there isn't a coordinated, well funded approach to getting this food to the needed and it's been left to be figured out by the individual farmers who are paying for it out of their own pockets.  Though many of the pre-packaging companies are now helping them get the food out by providing their services for "free" too.  Again....another local group figuring it out and paying for it themselves.

There are two things that I know of here in Florida that aren't packaged in transport crates prior to sending them off...citrus and sugar cane.  

I know...that's why I said they are dumping things off in the same crates they use to ship to the packagers.  This isn't a herculean chore that can't be figured out.  It's already been figured out by many farmers and they're doing the right thing and helping the needy.  To me, it's appalling that there isn't a coordinated, well funded approach to getting this food to the needed and it's been left to be figured out by the individual farmers who are paying for it out of their own pockets.  Though many of the pre-packaging companies are now helping them get the food out by providing their services for "free" too.  Again....another local group figuring it out and paying for it themselves.

There are two things that I know of here in Florida that aren't packaged in transport crates prior to sending them off...citrus and sugar cane.  
You keep mentioning local. 

Do you think the places with lines down the streets are mostly located near local farms right now? 

You keep mentioning local. 

Do you think the places with lines down the streets are mostly located near local farms right now? 
Don't know....I do know that all this has to be loaded on trucks and sent to places.  I'm sure there are a few places that are right next door.  Most of what I've seen has had to be moved several miles.  Some has gone 100+ miles....all funded by those in the chain on their own dime.  There isn't a single issue here that can't be resolved with proper funding.  This is food that is going to be tilled under if not given to someone.  It's not being diverted from one supply chain to another....all it takes is money to do it, yet we have ZERO national approach.

It's like that scene in Bad Boys II where the drug dealer had rats eating his money.  "It's a stupid problem to have, but a problem nonetheless".  

Don't know....I do know that all this has to be loaded on trucks and sent to places.  I'm sure there are a few places that are right next door.  Most of what I've seen has had to be moved several miles.  Some has gone 100+ miles....all funded by those in the chain on their own dime.  There isn't a single issue here that can't be resolved with proper funding.  This is food that is going to be tilled under if not given to someone.  It's not being diverted from one supply chain to another....all it takes is money to do it, yet we have ZERO national approach.

It's like that scene in Bad Boys II where the drug dealer had rats eating his money.  "It's a stupid problem to have, but a problem nonetheless".  
Sure throwing enough money can make the visual go away. 

But is the money worth spending? 

This is largely an emotional issue. The government should not spend money to make sure kale, cabbage, and lettuce gets distributed to food banks across the country. 

The restaurant industry creates a demand for many of these foods that barely move the needle for feeding the hungry. And plenty of those actually cost a lot per acre which is why the lettuce and cabbage growers in florida are lobbying so hard. 

Tomatoes should be figured out and likely will as will fruits I imagine. 

Sure throwing enough money can make the visual go away. 

But is the money worth spending? 

This is largely an emotional issue. The government should not spend money to make sure kale, cabbage, and lettuce gets distributed to food banks across the country. 

The restaurant industry creates a demand for many of these foods that barely move the needle for feeding the hungry. And plenty of those actually cost a lot per acre which is why the lettuce and cabbage growers in florida are lobbying so hard. 

Tomatoes should be figured out and likely will as will fruits I imagine. 
Not sure what you're saying here.  There are farms that wouldn't exist but for the schools they supply.  They exist because the schools do.  Those farms have tons and tons of food rotting in the fields or being tilled under.  I'm not talking about the large farms that supply the major restaurant chains who are experiencing a bit of waste.  It seems logical that the food could be used to support those going hungry because they don't have a job.  I'm not sure of the emotional component you speak of.  If I have excess food, logic would suggest I give it to those who need food.  Of course there are probably specific crops that this wouldn't apply too.  Focus on the exceptions ignores the general rule (which, ironically, seems like the emotional approach if I am being honest).  It's my personal opinion that the millions being sent to all these publicly held companies would be better suited going to the individuals who don't know where their next meal is coming from and the groups trying to help them get answers to that question.  I guess that can be construed as "emotional"...to me it's just common sense :shrug:  It's never occurred to me that it wouldn't be a net benefit to keep food on peoples' tables when compared to making sure the bottom line of some publicly traded company remains in tact for investors.

Not sure what you're saying here.  There are farms that wouldn't exist but for the schools they supply.  They exist because the schools do.  Those farms have tons and tons of food rotting in the fields or being tilled under.  I'm not talking about the large farms that supply the major restaurant chains who are experiencing a bit of waste.  It seems logical that the food could be used to support those going hungry because they don't have a job.  I'm not sure of the emotional component you speak of.  If I have excess food, logic would suggest I give it to those who need food.  Of course there are probably specific crops that this wouldn't apply too.  Focus on the exceptions ignores the general rule (which, ironically, seems like the emotional approach if I am being honest).  It's my personal opinion that the millions being sent to all these publicly held companies would be better suited going to the individuals who don't know where their next meal is coming from and the groups trying to help them get answers to that question.  I guess that can be construed as "emotional"...to me it's just common sense :shrug:  It's never occurred to me that it wouldn't be a net benefit to keep food on peoples' tables when compared to making sure the bottom line of some publicly traded company remains in tact for investors.
Yes clearly an emotional issue. 

A plate of cabbage, lettuce and tomatoes doesnt move the needle and that is if it would actually get eaten. 

75% of the lettuce and cabbage crop in florida is going unharvested. Getting that to food banks isnt common sense. It is stupid. It would be a huge waste of money to satisfy people being emotional about foods getting plowed under. 

80% of the tomatoes in florida go to restaurants and theme parks. So inflated out of state demand. Even if the remaining 20% went exclusively to schools, which isnt the case if course, but even if it was, that isnt what is causing the issues. 

Florida food banks are full of produce and not actually accepting anymore tomatoes. 

None of this is as simple as people are hungry and florida is plowing under food that can prevent that hunger. Anybody that thinks that way is being emotional because they are swayed by a talking point.  Omg we are plowing food into the ground without feeding people because if corporations being evil!!!

The cabbage and lettuce should get plowed under. Those are the two hardest hit. Same with zuchini, kale, etc. Basically calorie minimal foods that have inflated demand because of restaurants and would have large costs to distribute across the country to now further suppress prices in areas out of florida. 

A plate of cabbage, lettuce and tomatoes doesnt move the needle and that is if it would actually get eaten. 

75% of the lettuce and cabbage crop in florida is going unharvested. Getting that to food banks isnt common sense. It is stupid. It would be a huge waste of money to satisfy people being emotional about foods getting plowed under. 

80% of the tomatoes in florida go to restaurants and theme parks. So inflated out of state demand. Even if the remaining 20% went exclusively to schools, which isnt the case if course, but even if it was, that isnt what is causing the issues. 

Florida food banks are full of produce and not actually accepting anymore tomatoes. 

None of this is as simple as people are hungry and florida is plowing under food that can prevent that hunger. Anybody that thinks that way is being emotional because they are swayed by a talking point.  Omg we are plowing food into the ground without feeding people because if corporations being evil!!!

The cabbage and lettuce should get plowed under. Those are the two hardest hit. Same with zuchini, kale, etc. Basically calorie minimal foods that have inflated demand because of restaurants and would have large costs to distribute across the country to now further suppress prices in areas out of florida. 
ok..have a good day :thumbup:  

There are many food banks across this country that are struggling with having enough food.  An example of an article describing issues at food banks.  Not sure why we shouldn't have a national approach to this issue at this time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/coronavirus-food-banks-are-closing-and-losing-their-workforce.html?__source=sharebar|email&par=sharebar

Governor Brad Little - Idaho 

6 hrs · 

‪More than 30,000 Idaho small businesses will receive Idaho Rebound cash grants, a $300 million investment in small businesses. No other state is putting up a larger amount from the Coronavirus Relief Fund to help small businesses with cash support!

Phase 1 of 4 opens tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread