What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Time to start talking bailouts- first the airlines (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
The reasons are different than in 2008 but the solution is the same. We’re going to need to bail out certain industries so that they don’t go under and make things far worse. Starting with the airlines. Until people are willing to travel again, until this current crisis is over, we need to keep the airlines afloat. 

What about the cruise industry? And the convention industry? They help drive the airline industry, and vice versa.

I am not saying we need to- hopefully we aren’t at that point yet. However, the airline industry isn’t a typical industry. If a couple major carriers went out of business, the ripple effects on the entire economy could be more than just “painful”.

I am not saying we need to- hopefully we aren’t at that point yet. However, the airline industry isn’t a typical industry. If a couple major carriers went out of business, the ripple effects on the entire economy could be more than just “painful”.
Can you expand on this a little?

One of the smarter businesses can come in and buy them out if it makes financial sense. Welcome to Amazon Air, 2 bags of peanuts for prime members.

Can you expand on this a little?
Business people need to get places. For example, my FIL has a small business and needs to regularly travel all over the country and world to do sales, estimates, repairs, etc. A significant reduction in available flights means he has less ability to get to those places, it will cost him a lot more and could severely limit his ability to conduct his business. Multiply that out by however many business people travel and it could be a huge problem. 

One of the smarter businesses can come in and buy them out if it makes financial sense. Welcome to Amazon Air, 2 bags of peanuts for prime members.
Very possible. Hopefully someone will step up to buy them. Every financial crisis will then just put us one step closer to the Bezos family controlling the entire planet.

Those of you posting “nope”, “not with my tax dollars”, “let it burn”, etc.- I don’t think you quite get how much of a service economy we have become. 

timschochet said:
Those of you posting “nope”, “not with my tax dollars”, “let it burn”, etc.- I don’t think you quite get how much of a service economy we have become. 
I support whatever bailout/support/stimulus is needed so long as the money is tied to reform. Real reform. Changes that benefit workers and customers. Changes that will force these industries to be more resilient in the long term even if it means lowering short term profits.

If the industries will not go along or our government will not fight for these reforms, then yes let it burn.

timschochet said:
If there is a need, something new will arise from the ashes of these dumb airlines, just like a phoenix.

If there is not a need, they can go the way of the traveling 8 track salesman.

I support whatever bailout/support/stimulus is needed so long as the money is tied to reform. Real reform. Changes that benefit workers and customers. Changes that will force these industries to be more resilient in the long term even if it means lowering short term profits.

If the industries will not go along or our government will not fight for these reforms, then yes let it burn.
What reform would solve the coronavirus for the airlines??

timschochet said:
I agree, I still don't see why we should be bailing out these corparations because they have a downturn. They have to deal with it just like the rest of us do. 

Ilov80s said:
Tough to do a road trip from Chicago to LA and back in a day for business. 
More virtual reality. A Siemens  engineer in Florida can direct a tech in Libya to fix a turbine engine. A new era.

Look I was for the bailouts in 2008, and I think they worked, but back then at least you could argue that the banks did it to themselves, reform was needed, let the market work, etc. 

This is different. This is like a hurricane or an earthquake. If the airlines fail it won’t be because of bad practices. It will be because of events that they had nothing to do with. This is the entire of purpose of having a government- for situations like these.

Look I was for the bailouts in 2008, and I think they worked, but back then at least you could argue that the banks did it to themselves, reform was needed, let the market work, etc. 

This is different. This is like a hurricane or an earthquake. If the airlines fail it won’t be because of bad practices. It will be because of events that they had nothing to do with. This is the entire of purpose of having a government- for situations like these.
They have had bad practices for years and gotten away with. 

They should have socked away 25% of their profits for emergencies instead of living to paycheck to paycheck. Not our fault they didn't do that.

They should have socked away 25% of their profits for emergencies instead of living to paycheck to paycheck. Not our fault they didn't do that.
This has nothing to do with fault. It has to do with how their collapse will affect you and me. 

parasaurolophus said:
Tourism in the US is a 1.1 trillion dollar industry. 
I get that, is it your contention that if people don’t travel for fun but they won’t do anything different with that money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those practices have nothing to do with this situation. 
Agree, but when you gouge your customers for decades and have crappy procedures and protocols because people have to travel then don't expect them to want to help you out in your time of need. 

Like Murph said they want a bailout then we want something in return. I also don't think this situation warrants a bailout yet. Sorry if you have a bad quarter or 2 and stock prices fall. It happens. 

I agree but you have to adapt somehow. 
True and like anything it will be the mid size and small businesses that suffer as they won’t be able to weather the financial storm or invest it VR technology to replace travel. 

Users who are viewing this thread