What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does China owe the world for the COVID-19 cover-up? Anything or nothing? (1 Viewer)

Summer Wheat

Footballguy
Heard a heated discussion last night on POTUS Radio on this topic.   I think we all know that if the Wuhan-Corona virus had originated in NY or LA much would be expected from the USA in terms of aiding all affected countries and there would be multiple statements of apologies and how we will try to help wherever we can.

What about China who for the most part has been pretty quiet.  Do they owe anything to anyone?  Or just well wishes? 

Of course they were talking about the China government not the people. 

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
SARS--Coronavirus out of China as a result of wet markets.

COVID 19--Coronavirus out of China as a result of wet markets.

At some point, they do owe it to the rest of the world to shut that down.

That was part of the discussion as this was going to happen not if but when.  Then you have to realize in many of those markets they have no refrigeration or cleanliness standards.   It is not like China has food safety regulation people going in to every market

China needs to be come democratic. Maybe in a democracy China would take better care of its people, with better living conditions, better food regulation, better sanitation. Maybe in a democracy China would not have persecuted the whistleblower doctor to his death. maybe in a democracy a free press could have reported on the virus, much earlier than when we eventually learned of it.

This is a great idea in theory, but the reality of the situation presents a few problems, including the fact that Chinese culture has a strong demand for exotic meat. The risk is always going to be there.

Hindsight is 20/20, but imagine if we took all that money that we spent on the TSA and invested in bio-threat detection systems...

This is a great idea in theory, but the reality of the situation presents a few problems, including the fact that Chinese culture has a strong demand for exotic meat. The risk is always going to be there.

Hindsight is 20/20, but imagine if we took all that money that we spent on the TSA and invested in bio-threat detection systems...
Should have happened right after SARS as we dodged a huge bullet then.

No, because diseases are usually unpredictable. That would be like trying to hold somewhere in central Asia responsible for the Black Death. China didn't try to spread this intentionally, and clamped down on it in a hurry to stop it when it did pop up. Now they could stop the wet markets, that would definitely help curtail repeat occurrences.

No, because diseases are usually unpredictable. That would be like trying to hold somewhere in central Asia responsible for the Black Death. China didn't try to spread this intentionally, and clamped down on it in a hurry to stop it when it did pop up. Now they could stop the wet markets, that would definitely help curtail repeat occurrences.
Except China covers things up and made it worse. Complete dirtbags.

Except China covers things up and made it worse. Complete dirtbags.
Trump did the exact same thing. Kept claiming it's the flu, no reason to worry, then when cases started ballooning, suddenly he's all, "Oh yeah, been watching this from the start." China at least had the sense to enforce a strict quarantine. How's that working out here? Because everything I've seen still has people meeting in groups despite the regulations. Sure, traffic's lighter, but not by a lot. 

Trump did the exact same thing. Kept claiming it's the flu, no reason to worry, then when cases started ballooning, suddenly he's all, "Oh yeah, been watching this from the start." China at least had the sense to enforce a strict quarantine. How's that working out here? Because everything I've seen still has people meeting in groups despite the regulations. Sure, traffic's lighter, but not by a lot. 
The question was does China owe the world. Trump deserves to be hammered, censured, and ousted based on his early mismanagement, but via one of those articles 95% of the deaths could have been prevented if China didn’t do what China does. But everything we’re (the international community) going through now, the deaths, the suffering, the economic ruin can be laid at the feet of China’s scumbag leadership. When we get on the other side of this, the international community should be resolute in coming down on them.... but I won’t hold my breath. Everybody is skeered of Chairman Pooh.

Lets keep this to the OP about China please.  

The question was does China owe the world. Trump deserves to be hammered, censured, and ousted based on his early mismanagement, but via one of those articles 95% of the deaths could have been prevented if China didn’t do what China does. But everything we’re (the international community) going through now, the deaths, the suffering, the economic ruin can be laid at the feet of China’s scumbag leadership. When we get on the other side of this, the international community should be resolute in coming down on them.... but I won’t hold my breath. Everybody is skeered of Chairman Pooh.
Excellent post, HJ!

Cause this isnt a ####### military state!!

Dear god help me

All I know is that they have been making me feel bad for years when I order their food for myself and they give me enough utensils for 4.

ETA

They ALWAYS owe me more sweet n sour sauce. WHY do you give me so many soy sauce packets??!! 

I don't think they owe us anything in terms of gifts, benefits, appologies, etc.

But it's an absolute failure if they refuse to regular the wet markets.  They can still sell bat wings and armadillo claws.  Just...clean it up. 

I don't think they owe us anything in terms of gifts, benefits, appologies, etc.

But it's an absolute failure if they refuse to regular the wet markets.  They can still sell bat wings and armadillo claws.  Just...clean it up. 
This is not about only "us"    Like the economy it is global now.  Could Italy had more warning? 

Not only that would some statements saying "We China as a nation will help any stricken nation that we can, and try provide anything that we can in terms of support, meds, whatever."   This is so far beyond usual politics and blame games.

msommer said:
Is it ok if you post more than one laugning emoji or is that the same as one. Asking for a friend
I think if you've got nothing nice to say or just want to take potshots at posters you don't agree with then you probably shouldn't post at all.  Per the rules, from what I understand.

msommer said:
Is it ok if you post more than one laugning emoji or is that the same as one. Asking for a friend
I agree...  China aint helping nobody do nuttin. 

I think if you've got nothing nice to say or just want to take potshots at posters you don't agree with then you probably shouldn't post at all.  Per the rules, from what I understand.
I think he was laughing at if China would actually help anyone.  I wont` do it but that is worth a couple rolling laughs.

I challenge anyone here to come up with a single example from history of when blaming an entire country for bad behavior has produced a positive result. 

msudaisy26 said:
Do we owe the rest of the world apologies for the recession in 2008? 
I don`t have the numbers in front of me but what was the death  toll from the 2008 recession?

As usual in the PSF it is obvious nobody read the OP.    No blame was being cast.    This debate on POTUS radio. Should China should "Offer" up anything in terms of aid to combat this?

I don`t have the numbers in front of me but what was the death  toll from the 2008 recession?

As usual in the PSF it is obvious nobody read the OP.    No blame was being cast.    This debate on POTUS radio. Should China should "Offer" up anything in terms of aid to combat this?
I read it and figured it was implied, but it isn't so I will reword it. 

Do we owe the rest of the world anything for 2008 such as money?

How does a wet market differ from ... fish markets all over the US? Like Seattle, for example. 

Is it just the gov't regulation making sure they meet certain cleanliness standards?

I read it and figured it was implied, but it isn't so I will reword it. 

Do we owe the rest of the world anything for 2008 such as money?
Well, I guess you could start a thread on that topic and ask. This thread is about what is going on today. 

Will history look back at 2008 being as important to mankind as what is going on with Corona at this moment in time? We are talking possibly tens of thousands of deaths.  Not losing money.  Half the world did not even know about 2008.  What is going on right now impacts the whole world.

And if you read the OP I guess your answer in no, they owe nothing and that is OK.  I was not saying they owe anything just talking about a debate and asking the same question they asked.

Wow.  We really have people in here defending China?  "America Bad" seems to be the first response to a lot of this.

Users who are viewing this thread