What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Old Sports On Your TV in the Time of Quarantine (1 Viewer)

I honestly hope that old sports games and delivery booze are things we can keep going after the apocalypse. Why can't I watch the '94 Sweet Sixteen and have some Sierra Nevadas delivered on a random Sunday in August? Anything less than that is what the Nazis would want.

If you don't love that idea, you're Eva Braun. Congrats on sexing Hitler.

I put the 1990 Saints Bears NFC playoff game on YouTube on the widescreen a couple weeks ago. Killed some old brews from the Viking while I was at it. Loved it.

My teenage boys are flummoxed that we had to wait until Saturday to see any highlights, and they were two weeks old by then. Kids today :rolleyes:
But at least now they're getting to watch Mel Allen talk about Mike Scott's 1986 no hitter?!?!?!?!!!?

I was actually a really young kid playing little league when Mel Allen died in the 90s. TWIB kept going, but it was not the same. I wish i loved anything as much as I loved baseball in 1996.

Fox Sports Ohio is replaying 1990 World Series this week.  Tonight was game 2.  Been so long since I've watched sports, I was totally engrossed.  I was talking to the TV like it was live.  Hal Morris watched two straight pitches right over the plate and I said "swing the ####ing bat".

But at least now they're getting to watch Mel Allen talk about Mike Scott's 1986 no hitter?!?!?!?!!!?

I was actually a really young kid playing little league when Mel Allen died in the 90s. TWIB kept going, but it was not the same. I wish i loved anything as much as I loved baseball in 1996.
I remember how much I loved it from 1997-1999. Those were great days. Nothing like a summer night in a nice area and the ballgame on. Now, not so much. But I can relate to the "I wish I loved anything..." comment.

And Mel Allen and TWIB are treasures. I, too, used to wait for the show, generally broadcast before the baseball Game Of The Week on Saturday afternoon, and was also always confused by the dated highlights. But Mel Allen. How about that. 

I remember how much I loved it from 1997-1999. Those were great days. Nothing like a summer night in a nice area and the ballgame on. Now, not so much. But I can relate to the "I wish I loved anything..." comment.

And Mel Allen and TWIB are treasures. I, too, used to wait for the show, generally broadcast before the baseball Game Of The Week on Saturday afternoon, and was also always confused by the dated highlights. But Mel Allen. How about that. 
Slightly different memory for me, but then again I watched it my last 3 three years of HS (1977-80.) Weekly highlights seemed completely normal pre-internet, would not even have considered them “dated.”

There weren’t many Tigers games on local broadcast tv vefore PASS. The Fetzer Television Network sounded pretty impressive to teenage BL but I think in reality was like 6 stations, broadcasting maybe 10 games? The only baseball you could count on was the NNC Saturday afternoon Game of the Week and the ABC Monday Night Baseball. IIRC it was like 25 of the former and 13-18 of the latter per year.

(although tbh baseball on radio was a nightly summer ritual - actually enjoyed this more then televised baseball)

There we’re always highlights on TWIB I hadn’t seen. The only highlights during the local nightly news would be Detroit, so it was a novelty seeing any NL teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly different memory for me, but then again I watched it my last 3 three years of HS (1977-80.) Weekly highlights seemed completely normal pre-internet, would not even have considered them “dated.”
Oh yeah, I was really young too with TWIB and by "dated," I just meant that I followed box scores and write-ups every day and knew what had happened, so it was always interesting to see the highlights after the week's games. And yes, to your point about broadcasting: It was nothing like now. You had the occasional game on local television, but it was mostly the national games that got play on both Saturday and Monday, IIRC. We didn't even have cable or really conceive of it yet. 

I also remember that feeling of something being "dated" while catching soccer highlights as a kid on PBS during their weekly game. Always nil-nil, of course. Jerry Trecker of The Hartford Courant covered the exotic sports like soccer, always a day or two late, of course.

Oh yeah, I was really young too with TWIB and by "dated," I just meant that I followed box scores and write-ups every day and knew what had happened, so it was always interesting to see the highlights after the week's games. And yes, to your point about broadcasting: It was nothing like now. You had the occasional game on local television, but it was mostly the national games that got play on both Saturday and Monday, IIRC. We didn't even have cable or really conceive of it yet. 

I also remember that feeling of something being "dated" while catching soccer highlights as a kid on PBS during their weekly game. Always nil-nil, of course. Jerry Trecker of The Hartford Courant covered the exotic sports like soccer, always a day or two late, of course.
My parents divorced in 1973-74 after 17 years, mom remarried summer ‘76 and we moved from rural mid Michigan to Grand Rapids. Returning home that fall to visit Dad, I distinctly remember how frustrated I was trying to explain to village neighbors (dare ya to find Gowen, MI on a map without using your phone or a browser) “No, we don’t have an antenna. It’s called cable tv. Stop looking at me like that, I swear I’m not making thus up.”

Since this all started I’ve been watching boatloads of entire 60s-80s NBA playoffs series. A lot of Bird, Magic, Dr.J, Hakeem, Wilt and Russel. 

I’ve seen highlights and even watched a lot of this as a kid but seeing again in full - what stood out to me most was how talented NBAers were at shooting. Sure the guys today can out dribble and jump out the gym. But as a whole, the earlier guys were remarkable the way they let the ball off their fingers and contorted their body. 

The other thing that really stood out was how few commercials there were during playoff games. We’re taking 20 second commercials and when the game comes back on you can tell they didn’t stop the action. 

I mean I knew this already but watching these games again just further cements how brutally awful the game is to watch today. So boring. 

I mean I knew this already but watching these games again just further cements how brutally awful the game is to watch today. So boring. 
Steady as she goes and a bump to the front. That's what it takes. Front-row seats and a piece of the action. 

I’ve seen highlights and even watched a lot of this as a kid but seeing again in full - what stood out to me most was how talented NBAers were at shooting. Sure the guys today can out dribble and jump out the gym. But as a whole, the earlier guys were remarkable the way they let the ball off their fingers and contorted their body. 

The other thing that really stood out was how few commercials there were during playoff games. We’re taking 20 second commercials and when the game comes back on you can tell they didn’t stop the action. 
Not to mention how short those nut-hugger shorts were.

Willie .... Mickey - but no Duke

wonder how hungover the Mick was ... my favorite quote of his: "had i known i was gonna live this long i woulda taken better care of myself"

lotta early deaths on the male side of his family. 

anyways ... the minimalist vibe of this show always struck me to be eerie af - like they filmed it in the midst of a SiP lockdown edict  :shrug:

Say Hey! 

wonder how hungover the Mick was ... my favorite quote of his: "had i known i was gonna live this long i woulda taken better care of myself"

anyways ... the minimalist vibe of this show always struck me to be eerie af - like they filmed it in the midst of a SiP lockdown edict  :shrug:

Say Hey!
Oh yeah, they used to run these all the time a decade or two ago on ESPN. Really creepy af.

Say Hey!
Oh yeah, they used to run these all the time a decade or two ago on ESPN. Really creepy af.
Willie at 17:26

:lmao:

I remember seeing this on ESPN right after I got back from my last cruise (late 80s.)

Reminds me of the matches The Golf Channel used to show - Challenge Golf & Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf.

:wub:

i caught a few on "classic sports" via Kodi - think that's the same park in Cali that Durocher worked Herman Munster out  :shrug:

- they also run this series ... talk about the short shorts - ooohhh, yeahhhh

Razzle

Dazzle

Willie at 17:26

I remember seeing this on ESPN right after I got back from my last cruise (late 80s.)

Reminds me of the matches The Golf Channel used to show - Challenge Golf & Shell’s Wonderful World of Golf.

:wub:
gotta look around for those golf shows - the addon has all of the great old ones, including "The Superstars" ... don't wanna spotlight on the draft, but a certain cat dominated that ish. 

oh, and Rodeo Star Larry Mahan!

ETA: how can ya not love Willie! 😁

i caught a few on "classic sports" via Kodi - think that's the same park in Cali that Durocher worked Herman Munster out  :shrug:

- they also run this series ... talk about the short shorts - ooohhh, yeahhhh

Razzle

Dazzle

gotta look around for those golf shows - the addon has all of the great old ones, including "The Superstars" ... don't wanna spotlight on the draft, but a certain cat dominated that ish. 

oh, and Rodeo Star Larry Mahan!

ETA: how can ya not love Willie! 😁
1972 One-on-One Chsmpionship Final

They used to show these during halftime of the NBA Finals series.

Precursor to the HORSE competitions. Ran for two seasons. Each team had their own tournament to determine who would be in the competition, then they played a single elimination bracket. NBA was like 17 teams then.

1972 One-on-One Chsmpionship Final

They used to show these during halftime of the NBA Finals series.

Precursor to the HORSE competitions. Ran for two seasons. Each team had their own tournament to determine who would be in the competition, then they played a single elimination bracket. NBA was like 17 teams then.
JoJo! the original "Chief" ... man, him and Scott were glue in that backcourt. 

but Jeff Mullins?  :lmao:

where the hell was Pistol?  :D

Lanier looked like he was horsin' around with nephew - hfs. 

Kyle effin' ROTE!

Also, Joe Frazier almost drowning in the pool during the Superstars swim competition was

ooooh, boy ... surprised Howie didn't invoke the stereotype 

or did he? 

😆

Los Angeles Lakers @ Milwaukee Bucks 1/9/1972

The game that ended the 33 game winning streak. Keith Jackson & Bill Russell announcing, Sunday afternoon ABC Game if the Week.

The Super Bowl was a week away, the NFL Conference Championships and the end of the College Football season with the New Year’s Day Bowl games was the week before.

Wilt versus Kareem

Jerry West v Oscar Robertson

HoFer Mendy Rudolph officiating along with Richie Powers.

Los Angeles Lakers @ Milwaukee Bucks 1/9/1972

The game that ended the 33 game winning streak. Keith Jackson & Bill Russell announcing, Sunday afternoon ABC Game if the Week.

The Super Bowl was a week away, the NFL Conference Championships and the end of the College Football season with the New Year’s Day Bowl games was the week before.

Wilt versus Kareem

Jerry West v Oscar Robertson

HoFer Mendy Rudolph officiating along with Richie Powers.
i mentioned in the Jordan thread that Dandridge (#10) and Hondo were my hoops guys as a kid ... Bobby had a goofy build, like he was one of Fat Albert's crew (old weird Harold?) 

we had a gym teacher in grammar school who went to Power Memorial during Alcindor's years, so, yeah - we became Bucks fans.  

this was a bit before my time (i was 4), but we quickly got the Bucks/Lew love starting in 1st grade ... the Bucks-Celtics rivalry was epic (Mom knew Heinson back in the day) ... hoops heaven. 

It was in the heats, Jim McKay announcing 

and as they touch the wall Joe Frazier has reached the other end of the pool

:lol:

Joe, why didn’t you tell the producers you couldn’t swim?

”How was I supposed to know before I tried?”
that Philly 'tude, tho 😆

always loved Joe  :boxing:

Joe Frazier and Ali were before my time of cognizance, really, but there are few cooler athletes than Joe was. I don't know why, but I have a whole lot of respect for him, probably because of the way Ali dealt with him and Foreman. Didn't care for that. 

I'd never heard this rant before, thanks for bringing it up. :lol:
Oh, I don't know if you're serious or not, but he did an Opie and Anthony (?) comedy show in Philly where he was pissed that the performers before him were getting booed, so he went on about a twelve minute or so rant against Philly and its sports teams. I don't listen to Opie and Anthony -- nor am I generally up for that kind of humor or morning show shenanigans -- but this was a pretty good piece of improvisation on his part.

Beat me to it. Bill Burr: "Hey Philly, why do you have a statue of Rocky? You got -- you got Joe Frazier, for cryin' out loud and you're going commemorate a fictional character. C'mon! Ten minutes left!"
That entire rant is so epic !!!  :D

Joe Frazier and Ali were before my time of cognizance, really, but there are few cooler athletes than Joe was. I don't know why, but I have a whole lot of respect for him, probably because of the way Ali dealt with him and Foreman. Didn't care for that. 
The first battle in MSG was an epic event - The Fight of the Century. Closed circuit TV only, no radio broadcast. I remember laying in the dark quietly playing a portable AM radio to hear the round by round summaries. The next day at the bus stop and at school, it’s all we talked about.

Can you imagine? The whole country stopped for an event that wasn’t on radio or TV.

Users who are viewing this thread