What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 CFB Bowl Games thread: Bama vs ClemPson for all the marbles (1 Viewer)

Fantastic game. Thought going in was going to come down to last possession. I was pulling for Clemson and thought +7 was a gift. Didn't think it was much of a gift in the first half. Bama hit em in the mouth.  Clemson came back. Great drive by Alabama. They just left time on the clock. Love watching Clemson's offense

For me, the 2nd best championship game I've seen (after USC vs Texas). 

Reading the comments here and on ESPN, the Alabama fans are nothing but total class in defeat. 
They are class acts. Though, it probably is a little easier when you just ripped off 4 National Titles in 6 seasons. Losing this one means a couple of things. 1. Saban still has a little bit to go to catch the beloved Bear Bryant. 2. Your next head coach just got a little more seasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best big time college game I have ever watched. :thumbup:

Thought Clemson was making a big mistake with the way they were punting and kicking off and showing zero respect for Hurts passing but they were spot on. They knew he could not beat them through the air. 

God and love prevailed for Dabo...
USC/texas

No coach is more despised in South Florida than Saban, for the way he left the Dolphins and the way he treated his employees. He's a great recruiter of coaches and players, but for some reason, he hasn't found a Watson or Winston type player at QB. 

The 1984 Orange Bowl, Miami over Nebraska 31 - 30, was my favorite championship game. David beats Goliath. Miami uses the passing game to beat smash mouth football. 

Mentioned on another board, Clemson played and beat the national champion from the previous 7 years,  this year.

Alabama 09,11,12,14

Auburn 10

FSU 13

OSU 15

Next year’s title odds: Bama 3-1, FSU 7-1, OhioSt/OU/USC 8-1, UL/LSU/Mich 12-1, Clem 18-1, Texas 25-1, Aub/OkSt/PSU 30-1 via @LVSuperBook

:towelwave:  

No coach is more despised in South Florida than Saban, for the way he left the Dolphins and the way he treated his employees. He's a great recruiter of coaches and players, but for some reason, he hasn't found a Watson or Winston type player at QB. 
I dunno I think the guy he's got right now is pretty darn good. 

Thanks and will do!  I've already been surveying the different items that I'll spend way too much on.  I'll need something to hang on my office wall next to my Dabo piece.

https://s24.postimg.org/676k6uomt/IMG_0187.jpg
If I might offer a suggestion.  Buy the Sports Illustrated for the game as well as your local newspaper and frame them together for your home or office.  I have 2 of those from 2002 and 2014 and love them in my office.  Cheap but a great decoration.

Final AP poll: Clem Ala USC Wash OU OhSt PSU FSU Wis Mich OkSt Stan LSU UF WMU VT Col WVU USF Miami UL Tenn Utah Aub SDSU

sweet job sec. 

If I might offer a suggestion.  Buy the Sports Illustrated for the game as well as your local newspaper and frame them together for your home or office.  I have 2 of those from 2002 and 2014 and love them in my office.  Cheap but a great decoration.
Great idea. I've got a preview mag I kept all season, maybe I'll bookend it with the championship SI.

The best big time college game I have ever watched. :thumbup:

Thought Clemson was making a big mistake with the way they were punting and kicking off and showing zero respect for Hurts passing but they were spot on. They knew he could not beat them through the air. 

God and love prevailed for Dabo...
USC/Texas was better.  Great finish to this one though...definitely an instant classic.  Congrats to Clemson and their fans.

Best game in the last 10 years. 

Better?
Probably.  Though honestly as an impartial observer the first half of this game was incredibly boring.  I actually dosed off in the 2nd quarter.  Once Clemson kicked it in halfway through the 3rd quarter it was an awesome game.  Based on the fact it was the championship game it probably was the best game in the last 10 years.

I guess I'm happy for Clemson. Their fans are nice enough. 

I said the past 10 days the Kiffin thing was highly underrated and Hurts sucks. Bama had an amazing defense but hard to win with that offense. 

In summation, #### Saban 
:lmao:  How many true freshman qb's play in the national title game? I'll hang up and listen as you list out the players....

Hurts plays the game I wish all the players would play it, enough with the celebrations after every single gdb play

:lmao:  How many true freshman qb's play in the national title game? I'll hang up and listen as you list out the players....

Hurts plays the game I wish all the players would play it, enough with the celebrations after every single gdb play
What do I care what year he is? We were discussing the game last night and he's terrible. Maybe he'll be a lot better next year or 2018 and if so we'll discuss that then. 

What do I care what year he is? We were discussing the game last night and he's terrible. Maybe he'll be a lot better next year or 2018 and if so we'll discuss that then. 
your definition of terrible is odd

Alright so biggest thing for me last night was only being down 14-7 at the half. Bama was throwing haymakers left and right, but the scoreboard never got away from us. We just hung around little by little, then the next thing you know we're at 75 offensive snaps early in the 4th and the Bama defense is just a step slower than they were earlier in the game. 

If Watson can sit a year in the NFL and learn, I think he can be good up there. He's very smart, he's calm, and he's clutch. Good for him, good for Clemson.

Dabo probably sharted in the 3rd quarter.

I think he could be a lot like Wilson. Both smart, mobile, smallish.
I think he's a combination of Daunte Culpepper and Donovan McNabb, with a hint of Steve McNair.

I'll clarify and say I dunno when they'll be back here but they are recruiting at a top-10 level. Oregon is a dumpster fire. 
What a game, congrats to all you Clemson fans.  It looks like Clemson has a solid class coming in but over the last 7 years Oregon and Clemson's classes have been pretty similar with Oregon having the slight edge.  

One of the biggest reasons Helfrich and his staff got fired was because they became complacent on the recruiting front lately.  Taggert is hiring very good assistant coaches and they seem very energized and that bodes well for Oregon recruiting.   

PRO TIP: be sure to spend the cash for proper framing.

Here, I'll answer for Cappy: Jamelle Holloway from Oklahoma in a 25-10 win over Penn State in the 85 Orange Bowl.

Hoping some Bama fan calls into Finebaum today saying it should be split titles because Clemson and Bama had the same record and Bama lost to a better team PAWWWWWWWL

Hoping some Bama fan calls into Finebaum today saying it should be split titles because Clemson and Bama had the same record and Bama lost to a better team PAWWWWWWWL
Dude, Finebaum is an exercise in self-loathing in every respect of the word Finebaum. 

and self-loathing.  

Kiffin wanted to stay on through the final game. Saban`s arrogance bit him in the ###.
I think there's a lot that went on behind the scenes that we don't know about. No way, even for an arrogant SOB like Saban, he makes the decision to fire his OC 8 days before the championship unless the situation had become so toxic that it was a distraction.

Also, they put up 31 against a team that was #8 in the nation only giving up 18.4 points against. I don't see how you pin this loss on Sarkision or the Alabama offense. This simply the case of Watson putting the team on his shoulders in the second half and taking it to the Alabama defense.

I think there's a lot that went on behind the scenes that we don't know about. No way, even for an arrogant SOB like Saban, he makes the decision to fire his OC 8 days before the championship unless the situation had become so toxic that it was a distraction.

Also, they put up 31 against a team that was #8 in the nation only giving up 18.4 points against. I don't see how you pin this loss on Sarkision or the Alabama offense. This simply the case of Watson putting the team on his shoulders in the second half and taking it to the Alabama defense.
Clemson ran 90 freaking plays. A looooooot of that is on Bama giving up the ball quickly in the second half. 

Users who are viewing this thread