What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 CFB Bowl Games thread: Bama vs ClemPson for all the marbles (1 Viewer)

Clemson ran 90 freaking plays. A looooooot of that is on Bama giving up the ball quickly in the second half. 
I understand that but I still don't pin it on the OC. It had more to do with Scarbrough getting injured, Clemson's defense making some changes and a freshman QB that can't be expected to carry a team (in order of impact IMO).

I understand that but I still don't pin it on the OC. It had more to do with Scarbrough getting injured, Clemson's defense making some changes and a freshman QB that can't be expected to carry a team (in order of impact IMO).
When Bo went down, Bama replaced him with  the #1 recruited RB from 2015 who had a 1000 yards and averaged 7.0 ypc on the season  

There's no doubt some of this had to be having a new voice in ther making calls. I'm sure Kiffin is to blame for it but it seems like Saban should've found a way to stick it out for one more game. Arrogant. 

When Bo went down, Bama replaced him with  the #1 recruited RB from 2015 who had a 1000 yards and averaged 7.0 ypc on the season  
Harris was fantastic this year but something obviously changed when Scarbrough went down.

There's no doubt some of this had to be having a new voice in ther making calls. I'm sure Kiffin is to blame for it but it seems like Saban should've found a way to stick it out for one more game. Arrogant. 
If anything I actually thought the offense looked better against Clemson than Washington. Better rhythm, less penalties and more points against a better defense.

There is no doubt that Saban is arrogant but I'm not pinning this loss on the whole Kiffin drama.

Harris was fantastic this year but something obviously changed when Scarbrough went down.

If anything I actually thought the offense looked better against Clemson than Washington. Better rhythm, less penalties and more points against a better defense.

There is no doubt that Saban is arrogant but I'm not pinning this loss on the whole Kiffin drama.
I'm not either but it contributed. Bigger problem was Hurts couldn't hit an open throw, save once or twice. 

I don't watch a lot of Clemson so I'm not that familiar with Hunter Renfrow. I vaguely remember him from last years game. 

But what startled me last night was the play when Clemson fumbled and Alabama appeared headed for a TD early in the 3rd quarter. That was so reminiscent of the the Washington game and I thought "ok here we go again" and that this game was over. But instead Renfrow comes out of nowhere and makes the tackle, saving the touchdown. The replay never showed where he started from but it must have been completely across the field. That was an amazing hustle play, the kind you rarely see. 

Though honestly as an impartial observer the first half of this game was incredibly boring.  I actually dosed off in the 2nd quarter. 
I always wonder when people write this if they appreciate good defense? That Alabama defense which showed up for 3 quarters (but appeared gassed in the 4th) was a thing of beauty to watch IMO. Some of those hits that Ruben Hunter made, you don't even see those on Sunday. 

Renfrow has 11 career TDs.  Four of them came in the last two championship games against Alabama.  That's shocking.  Big time player.

I always wonder when people write this if they appreciate good defense? That Alabama defense which showed up for 3 quarters (but appeared gassed in the 4th) was a thing of beauty to watch IMO. Some of those hits that Ruben Hunter made, you don't even see those on Sunday. 
Foster's a beast...he's going to make some NFL defense a lot better next year.  I do like good defense. If the game wasn't so regionalized I probably would've felt differently but I think a lot of it boils down to having no affiliation to either team.  If it was Big 10 or Big 12 vs the SEC I could get into it.  He'll even the Pac 12 West Coast vs the SEC. I'm a WI fan so neither Clemson nor Alabama generates any sort of emotional response from me at all.  I kind of wanted to see Bama lose but wasn't rah rah about it.  It turned out to be an excellent game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't watch a lot of Clemson so I'm not that familiar with Hunter Renfrow. I vaguely remember him from last years game. 

But what startled me last night was the play when Clemson fumbled and Alabama appeared headed for a TD early in the 3rd quarter. That was so reminiscent of the the Washington game and I thought "ok here we go again" and that this game was over. But instead Renfrow comes out of nowhere and makes the tackle, saving the touchdown. The replay never showed where he started from but it must have been completely across the field. That was an amazing hustle play, the kind you rarely see. 
About a 5-10 180 pound soaking wet former walk-on that earned playing time over future NFL guys like deon Cain, artavis scott and ray ray mccloud. Remarkable player. 

Apologies if someone else mentioned this stat (I didn't see it).

When leading by double digits entering the fourth quarter, the Crimson Tide were 97-0 under Nick Saban. When you think about how this might be Bama's best defense in the Saban era that makes Clemson's comeback all the more impressive.

Adam Humphries (current WR with Tampa Bay) is the same type player as Hunter Renfrow.  When Humphries graduated from Clemson we all thought, man, we're going to miss that guy.  Then Renfro came in.  Same type scrappy player, same number.  Last year my wife said "hey he looks like Humphries out there, go Renfro!"  

He definitely saved a TD on that fumble.  Saved Clemson 4 points.  

It would be nice if every team had a player like that.  Hard working and tough as nails.  He has said he wants to get into coaching after football.  Not unlike Dabo Sweeney, incidentally. 

Alright so biggest thing for me last night was only being down 14-7 at the half. Bama was throwing haymakers left and right, but the scoreboard never got away from us. We just hung around little by little, then the next thing you know we're at 75 offensive snaps early in the 4th and the Bama defense is just a step slower than they were earlier in the game. 
I felt the same way.  Bama's defense was relentless in the first half, but we were only down by 7 points.  Could have been much worse.  I always felt that if Clemson could just get ahead in the second half and force Hurts to make plays throwing down field, all would be alright.  

After the fumble early in the 3rd and Bama went up 17-7, I felt that uneasy feeling.  But, as you know, there is no lack of fight in this team and Watson has that refuse to lose attitude.  There were moments in the Louisville game and the FSU game where it may have slipped away.  They just kept plugging.  The time of possession finally started catching up with Bama's defense.  They were still formidable, but in those drives in the 4th, they were not getting quite as much pressure on Watson.  It allowed him to start hitting guys further down field.  And Leggett woke up after that drop when Watson scrambled away and just missed him for a key first down.  

Renfro is Renfro.  He's been that safety valve all season on the quick slant.  

I did question Alabama's play calling on offense  a little in the 2nd half. You don't need to take the air out of the ball but you should run when you're ahead and make them stop you. 

Even before their main RB got hurt, Alabama had 2 3 and outs where they attempted passes 5 out of 6 times. That was just playing into Clemson's hands. If somebody wants to differentiate between Kiffin and Sarkesian, that might be the place. 

So I'm listening to this Finebaum show (for the first time, recommended in this thread) and I'm a little astonished by some of the comments. Some of these callers are attacking Hurts, and I thought he was very good. Other Alabama fans are attacking their running game formula for success, which has produced 4 national championships. 

So I'm listening to this Finebaum show (for the first time, recommended in this thread) and I'm a little astonished by some of the comments. Some of these callers are attacking Hurts, and I thought he was very good. Other Alabama fans are attacking their running game formula for success, which has produced 4 national championships. 
:lmao:

This is why I said to wait and listen to his show.  The Alabama fans you'll find on the internet aren't your "typical" Alabama fans.  The guys here are the exception to the rule.

Did Phyllis from Mulga speak today?  She is a hoot. 

:lmao:

This is why I said to wait and listen to his show.  The Alabama fans you'll find on the internet aren't your "typical" Alabama fans.  The guys here are the exception to the rule.
These are the people I live with every day.  
I have some extended family, by divorce and remarriage, that are in this group.  They aren't welcome in my house during football season.  That's the rule.  Sad but true :lol:  

Some of the hits last night were insane. How about the one where it looked like Watson was gonna run for the first down and got knocked so hard he turned like 3 times in the air?  That was nutz

Sometimes there is more to it than just subbing in a good player for another good player.  They were two totally different styles of RB and Clemson seemed to handle one much better than the other.  They were having a lot of trouble bringing Bo down (on both of his long TD runs he just breezed right through several tacklers).  Harris didn't seem to have that kind of straight-line power.

Buzzbait said:
Apologies if someone else mentioned this stat (I didn't see it).

When leading by double digits entering the fourth quarter, the Crimson Tide were 97-0 under Nick Saban. When you think about how this might be Bama's best defense in the Saban era that makes Clemson's comeback all the more impressive.
At least a little misleading though, right?  Wasn't Clemson already in the redzone at the start of the 4th quarter?

I felt the same way.  Bama's defense was relentless in the first half, but we were only down by 7 points.  Could have been much worse.  I always felt that if Clemson could just get ahead in the second half and force Hurts to make plays throwing down field, all would be alright.  

After the fumble early in the 3rd and Bama went up 17-7, I felt that uneasy feeling.  But, as you know, there is no lack of fight in this team and Watson has that refuse to lose attitude.  There were moments in the Louisville game and the FSU game where it may have slipped away.  They just kept plugging.  The time of possession finally started catching up with Bama's defense.  They were still formidable, but in those drives in the 4th, they were not getting quite as much pressure on Watson.  It allowed him to start hitting guys further down field.  And Leggett woke up after that drop when Watson scrambled away and just missed him for a key first down.  

Renfro is Renfro.  He's been that safety valve all season on the quick slant.  
Leggett is the unsung hero here, especially on the last drive.  Renfro was a warrior but that last TD was easy as could be.  A pick play where he was wide open for an easy 2 yard toss.  Leggett's catch down to the 10 was an incredible highlight reel play, at a time where it couldn't have been more important.  Without that play Clemson is probably kicking a long FG with a shaky kicker just to try and get to overtime.

Some of the hits last night were insane. How about the one where it looked like Watson was gonna run for the first down and got knocked so hard he turned like 3 times in the air?  That was nutz
That was incredible. Also the 4th and 1 on the first drive. 

I've never seen a college defense as good as this years Alabama team. Up until the last quarter that is- they ran out of gas. But until then, and including every game I've watched all year- unbelievable intensity and talent. 

That was incredible. Also the 4th and 1 on the first drive. 

I've never seen a college defense as good as this years Alabama team. Up until the last quarter that is- they ran out of gas. But until then, and including every game I've watched all year- unbelievable intensity and talent. 
Blah blah best ever blah blah. They faced a chorus line of #### QBs in the SEC. They were an amazing D but if you put them in the ACC against a litany of first round picks like Watson, Trubisky, Lamar, potentially Kayaa and the kid from Virginia Tech, then their secondary would have been exposed more. It was a weak spot and Clemson took advantage. 

Half of the SEC QBs were Purdue transfers, players who should be running the option or future NASA engineers who had no business trying to face a D that talented. 

Blah blah best ever blah blah. They faced a chorus line of #### QBs in the SEC. They were an amazing D but if you put them in the ACC against a litany of first round picks like Watson, Trubisky, Lamar, potentially Kayaa and the kid from Virginia Tech, then their secondary would have been exposed more. It was a weak spot and Clemson took advantage. 

Half of the SEC QBs were Purdue transfers, players who should be running the option or future NASA engineers who had no business trying to face a D that talented. 
Sad that's it's not that big of an exaggeration. 

Pretty cool story on DeShaun Watson.

He doesn't have the NFL draft upside some of these recent high picks have had, but he seems like a real quality guy.  No stealing crab legs or laptops, graduated in three years, and completely clutch exactly when its needed.  Hopefully he can sit and learn a year or two because if he does, he might actually be pretty damn good at the next level.  I hope so anyway. 

I guess you didn't watch many of their games then. Other than the Washington game every QB with a semblance of a pulse shredded them. Granted they didn't have to play against many QBs with pulses this year but even awful Austin Appleby looked better than he had all year against them until he finally just started throwing the ball right to be DBs who were 5 yards behind the receiver they were supposed to be covering. 

Pretty cool story on DeShaun Watson.

He doesn't have the NFL draft upside some of these recent high picks have had, but he seems like a real quality guy.  No stealing crab legs or laptops, graduated in three years, and completely clutch exactly when its needed.  Hopefully he can sit and learn a year or two because if he does, he might actually be pretty damn good at the next level.  I hope so anyway. 
He's a quality dude. 

Im not sure he's going to be a great pro, but it's possible. He's not the most accurate passer, even last night you could see Mike Williams and Leggett pulling in balls down the stretch that weren't really on target.  I saw someone earlier mention McNabb and that's probably not a bad comparison. 

I guess you didn't watch many of their games then. Other than the Washington game every QB with a semblance of a pulse shredded them. Granted they didn't have to play against many QBs with pulses this year but even awful Austin Appleby looked better than he had all year against them until he finally just started throwing the ball right to be DBs who were 5 yards behind the receiver they were supposed to be covering. 
I think you may need to re-read the intent of my post. 

Also dirty as hell! #10 should have been kicked out of the game for that hit

I think you may need to re-read the intent of my post. 
Actually I just clicked quote on the wrong post.  That was supposed to be directed at Tim.   :bag:

I agree with your post, it was surprisingly sensible for a nole.

Scarborough went over 100 yards twice this year.   :lmao:  at anyone thinking Bama lost because he got hurt.
Clemson was clearly having trouble dealing with his size and power running style.  Both of Bama's first half TDs came on long runs where he did nothing but plow through arm tackles.  Harris just couldn't replicate that kind of power that Clemson was struggling with.  Not that Bama gave him much chance.  He should have gotten more than 5 carries.

I just hope Hurts keeps sucking this much at passing.  He's a huge weakness for that team, not nearly as reliable as the McCarron types they usually roll out there.  Defense wins championships but you always run across that game or that quarter where you need your offense to step up.  Past QBs were able to do that.  Hurts isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread