What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 CFB Bowl Games thread: Bama vs ClemPson for all the marbles (1 Viewer)

The Bama "backup" averaged 7.1 ypc this year and had 970 rushing yards and that's why they lost :lmao:  
In the 1930s RBs determined who won a National Championship.  HTH. 

Not really.  Again, check the drive chart.  Tons of 3 and outs, Bama punted more times than Squisy quoted Twitter today. 

And without Scarbrough they would have been shut out in the 1st half.  Both of those touchdown runs were broken tackles, not blocking.  Him making a couple of plays was the only thing their whole offense had going for them until a busted coverage late in the 3rd quarter.  Just because they had some 3 and outs doesn't negate his impact.  No one is saying their offense was unstoppable with him in there and then useless without him.  

Anyway, you're both just being intentionally obtuse here.  No one is trying to say Alabama was the better team.  Alabama can blow me I'm certainly no apologist of theirs.  They are practically on FSU/Georgia level for me.  But it was an obvious difference.  I expect this kind of stuff from DD because while typically a pretty a-ok dude he just wakes up some days and decides "hey I'm going to be a snarky ##### in the FFA today", but it's new for you Capella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah blah best ever blah blah. They faced a chorus line of #### QBs in the SEC. They were an amazing D but if you put them in the ACC against a litany of first round picks like Watson, Trubisky, Lamar, potentially Kayaa and the kid from Virginia Tech, then their secondary would have been exposed more. It was a weak spot and Clemson took advantage. 

Half of the SEC QBs were Purdue transfers, players who should be running the option or future NASA engineers who had no business trying to face a D that talented. 
I know you're an ACC homer but I just don't believe this. I saw Trubisky struggle against Stanford, which is a good defense but not a great one like Alabama. I saw Lamar REALLY struggle against LSU, so I don't think he's moving the ball much against Alabama.

Sorry, I'm no big fan of the SEC, but the Tide's defense was quite simply the best ever and they would have done fine against the ACC or any other conference. They lost because Clemson had an outstanding quarter, but they were not "exposed."

I know you're an ACC homer but I just don't believe this. I saw Trubisky struggle against Stanford, which is a good defense but not a great one like Alabama. I saw Lamar REALLY struggle against LSU, so I don't think he's moving the ball much against Alabama.

Sorry, I'm no big fan of the SEC, but the Tide's defense was quite simply the best ever and they would have done fine against the ACC or any other conference. They lost because Clemson had an outstanding quarter, but they were not "exposed."
They got shredded to bits by 3 of the 4 real QBs they played this year.

They sucked donkey balls against 3 of the 4 real QBs they played this year.
Funny how they only lost once, late in the 4th quarter. I think we have a different concept of the word "suck". My team (UCLA) went 4-8 this year, mostly because the defense was terrible. I would have given anything for them to "suck" like Alabama.

And without Scarbrough they would have been shut out in the 1st half.  Both of those touchdown runs were broken tackles, not blocking.  Him making a couple of plays was the only thing their whole offense had going for them until a busted coverage late in the 3rd quarter.  Just because they had some 3 and outs doesn't negate his impact.  No one is saying their offense was unstoppable with him in there and then useless without him.  

Anyway, you're both just being intentionally obtuse here.  No one is trying to say Alabama was the better team.  Alabama can blow me I'm certainly no apologist of theirs.  They are practically on FSU/Georgia level for me.  But it was an obvious difference.  I expect this kind of stuff from DD because while typically a pretty a-ok dude he just wakes up some days and decides "hey I'm going to be a snarky ##### in the FFA today", but it's new for you Capella.
:lmao:

At all of this

Funny how they only lost once, late in the 4th quarter. I think we have a different concept of the word "suck". My team (UCLA) went 4-8 this year, mostly because the defense was terrible. I would have given anything for them to "suck" like Alabama.
What the?

They gave up 43 points to Ole Miss in a game where Chad Kelly threw for 421 yards at 10.1ypa and 3 TDs with 0 INTs and you don't consider that sucking because they won the game?

If wins are all that matters then there are a lot of defenses we can put in front of them because there are a lot of teams that have gone undefeated.

Their secondary was a gaping sieve, but they didn't have to play but a small handful of real QBs this year.  Even Austin Appleby looked like a different Purdue QB (Brees) for a couple of quarters against them until he started throwing his passes so errantly (as he tends to do) that the ball started going right to the DBs who were 5 yards behind the receiver they were supposed to be covering.

I can't believe an SEC guy is even attempting that argument.  Bama can just give it to TRich/Ingram/Henry/BoScar, etc, etc, etc.  They have so many ### #### Rbs the guys that transfer are guaranteed to get 250 carries wherever they land.  Bama lost because DeShaun Watson is a special player, because Clemson's D was just good enough, and because Dabo actually out-coached the devil.  Some 4th round pick RB had little to do with it, and you know it. 

I can't believe an SEC guy is even attempting that argument.  Bama can just give it to TRich/Ingram/Henry/BoScar, etc, etc, etc.  They have so many ### #### Rbs the guys that transfer are guaranteed to get 250 carries wherever they land.  Bama lost because DeShaun Watson is a special player, because Clemson's D was just good enough, and because Dabo actually out-coached the devil.  Some 4th round pick RB had little to do with it, and you know it. 
I didn't say they lost because of it.  I just agreed with someone who said it made a difference.  Clemson's defense struggled with size more than wiggle.  Bama's coaches probably saw it too which would explain why Scarbrough was getting all the work when Harris usually gets a third of the pie.

Clemson was a better team and if anything they should have won by more.  They just wasted a bunch of time feeling Bama out instead of playing their game like so many teams do in big games.  If they'd let Watson just drop back and carve up that weak Bama secondary from the get-go instead of waiting until they had to do it they'd win going away.

and because Dabo actually out-coached the devil.
Does not compute. Let's be honest, Dabo didn't really coach anything, his coordinators did. Dabo is just a CEO. He's a good recruiter, salesman, cheerleader, but he really doesn't do much coaching. He's attempted to call plays in the past. Ask Big Marc how that worked out.

I know you're an ACC homer  but I just don't believe this. I saw Trubisky struggle against Stanford, which is a good defense but not a great one like Alabama. I saw Lamar REALLY struggle against LSU, so I don't think he's moving the ball much against Alabama.

Sorry, I'm no big fan of the SEC, but the Tide's defense was quite simply the best ever and they would have done fine against the ACC or any other conference. They lost because Clemson had an outstanding quarter, but they were not "exposed."
:lmao:  you're an idiot, at least when it comes to college football

Your crap ### ucla program has nothing to do with whether Bama's d was "the best ever". 

Does not compute. Let's be honest, Dabo didn't really coach anything, his coordinators did. Dabo is just a CEO. He's a good recruiter, salesman, cheerleader, but he really doesn't do much coaching. He's attempted to call plays in the past. Ask Big Marc how that worked out.
Fair comments and I think Dabo has mentioned how he wanted to get the right guys in the coordinator roles.  He is a very good recruiter and really knows how to motivate players.  And players love to play for him.  

Dabo was killing me on that last drive with clock management.  It worked out in the end, but he let way too much time run off holding onto two timeouts.  They should have had 20+ seconds on the clock when it was first and goal on the 2, after the PI call on Williams.  6 seconds cut it way too close, for me.  Had they not scored and weren't able to get a FG off, I think he would have been decimated at the presser.  

:goodposting:

Fair comments and I think Dabo has mentioned how he wanted to get the right guys in the coordinator roles.  He is a very good recruiter and really knows how to motivate players.  And players love to play for him.  

Dabo was killing me on that last drive with clock management.  It worked out in the end, but he let way too much time run off holding onto two timeouts.  They should have had 20+ seconds on the clock when it was first and goal on the 2, after the PI call on Williams.  6 seconds cut it way too close, for me.  Had they not scored and weren't able to get a FG off, I think he would have been decimated at the presser.  
The third down play on the 20 something yard line is when he "wasted" some clock. But I think he was doing it in case they didn't convert and kicked for OT. He didn't want Alabama to have time to throw two passes and kick a FG themselves. 

This

The third down play on the 20 something yard line is when he "wasted" some clock. But I think he was doing it in case they didn't convert and kicked for OT. He didn't want Alabama to have time to throw two passes and kick a FG themselves. 
I get the idea of not allowing the other team time and all that.  The 3rd down in question was after Watson ran it down to the 33 yard line and there were 56 seconds on the clock.  The 3rd down play was snapped at 26 seconds (30 seconds ran off).  Had they not converted the 3rd down, it would have been a 50 FG, which is a few years outside his range.  I was thinking they may be thinking 4 down territory.  Either way I wish they'd called time out to talk it over.  

He converts the 3rd down with the reliable slant by Renfro down to the 26.  I thought, ok, let's get a TO and set up what you want to do from the 26.  Instead, Watson clocks the ball with 19 seconds.  So instead of first down with 22, now it's second down with 18.  Then the play with Leggett making the great catch inside the 10 and they use the second TO.  

It worked out in their favor.  I just remember thinking Dabo was killing me with clock management.  But all's well that ends well.  

While true that he gives his coordinators the freedom to call their plays/coverages, he's still responsible for the overall gameplan.  He's definitely not as hands-on in the exact plays being called, but smart people do well to surround themselves with smart people. Dabo took a lot of heat for hiring two former players to be co-offensive coordinators after Chad Morris left, and it's worked out beautifully so far. 

I get the idea of not allowing the other team time and all that.  The 3rd down in question was after Watson ran it down to the 33 yard line and there were 56 seconds on the clock.  The 3rd down play was snapped at 26 seconds (30 seconds ran off).  Had they not converted the 3rd down, it would have been a 50 FG, which is a few years outside his range.  I was thinking they may be thinking 4 down territory.  Either way I wish they'd called time out to talk it over.  

He converts the 3rd down with the reliable slant by Renfro down to the 26.  I thought, ok, let's get a TO and set up what you want to do from the 26.  Instead, Watson clocks the ball with 19 seconds.  So instead of first down with 22, now it's second down with 18.  Then the play with Leggett making the great catch inside the 10 and they use the second TO.  

It worked out in their favor.  I just remember thinking Dabo was killing me with clock management.  But all's well that ends well.  
I was in a panic as well.  Honestly there's always really weird clock things that happen in our games. Even against Ohio State, we were trying to run the clock out but Deshaun downed the ball with 45 seconds left on the game clock, but like 20 seconds on the play clock. That led to 4th down play needing to happen before the clock hit zero.  Instead of running the clock out, OSU had to run that one last play. There's other instances over the years too with just really odd clock management.  The Auburn game at the beginning of the year nearly gave me a stroke. 

Doctor Detroit said:

Why does anybody ever respond to christo 
:lmao:  I made a simple statement. Which was true--the game changed when he was hurt. Nobody had to respond. But you two slobbered all over yourselves blowing it out of proportion and trying to disprove it.

:lmao:  I made a simple statement. Which was true--the game changed when he was hurt. Nobody had to respond. But you two slobbered all over yourselves blowing it out of proportion and trying to disprove it.
The game changed, IMO, when Clemson's offense started dominating in the second half

Doctor Detroit said:
Typical response, I find it hard to believe anyone could become a lawyer with an 80 IQ.  Congrats? 

You certainly did make a simple statement. 

I was curious why this thread was still page 1.

people are trying to argue Bama would've won with Bo?

A) They had one player with under a 5ypc average, he was at 4.9.

B) They lost, to a better team nonetheless.

Hurts will be back, first Bama QB who really looks impressive in the Saban era. Scary what they'll do with an amazing QB for another 2 years.

I was curious why this thread was still page 1.

people are trying to argue Bama would've won with Bo?

A) They had one player with under a 5ypc average, he was at 4.9.

B) They lost, to a better team nonetheless.

Hurts will be back, first Bama QB who really looks impressive in the Saban era. Scary what they'll do with an amazing QB for another 2 years.
50/50 Hurts is still the starter next November. 

http://247sports.com/player/tua-tagovailoa-77451

Users who are viewing this thread