What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Melania Trump was in no rush to move into the White House. That’s when she renegotiated her prenup, a new book says. (1 Viewer)

Green Balloons

Footballguy
Melania Trump was in no rush to move into the White House. That’s when she renegotiated her prenup, a new book says.

President Trump, with first lady Melania Trump, speaks about his acquittal in the East Room at the White House. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

By

Jada Yuan 

June 12, 2020 at 5:00 a.m. CDT

When Melania Trump stayed behind in New York after her husband’s presidential inauguration, she said it was because she didn’t want to interrupt their then-10-year-old son Barron’s school year. News stories at the time concentrated on an apparent frostiness between the first couple and on the exorbitant taxpayer costs to protect Melania and Barron away from Washington.

Those stories are true, but Washington Post reporter Mary Jordan reveals in a new book that the first lady was also using her delayed arrival to the White House as leverage for renegotiating her prenuptial agreement with President Trump.

The campaign had been full of harsh news about Trump’s alleged sexual indiscretions and infidelities, from the “grab them by the p---y” Access Hollywood tape to an affair with Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal; Melania Trump learned new details from the media coverage, Jordan writes.

The incoming first lady needed time to cool off, and “to amend her financial arrangement with Trump — what Melania referred to as ‘taking care of Barron,’ ” Jordan writes in “The Art of Her Deal: The Untold Story of Melania Trump.”

Melania’s original prenup had not been incredibly generous, Jordan reports. But she had been with Trump longer than either of his ex-wives and had bargaining power: Her perceived calming effect on him was so great that Trump’s pals and at least one of Trump’s adult children exhorted her to come to the White House as soon as possible.

The 286-page book, which plays off the title of Trump’s well-known business guide, is a deeply reported look at the rise of the country’s only immigrant first lady since Louisa Adams.

Perspective | Is Melania Trump sending coded messages, or are we just talking to ourselves?

For her book, Jordan conducted more than a hundred interviews, with everyone from the first lady’s Slovenian schoolmates to former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, and she lays out an argument that Melania Trump is as devoted to her own mythmaking as her husband is to his.

“Both are avid creators of their own history,” Jordan writes, arguing that the #FreeMelania hashtag ought to be retired because of her consistent support of her husband and her moves to stay in the White House.

“She is . . . much more like him than it appears,” Jordan adds.

Jordan, a longtime Post reporter who won a Pulitzer Prize in 2003, secured a rare one-on-one interview with the future first lady while covering the 2016 campaign. The Post received a copy of her book ahead of its June 16 release date.

“The Art of Her Deal: The untold story of Melania Trump” by Mary Jordan (Simon & Schuster)

The reporting goes back to Melania Trump’s childhood in a small town in Slovenia, then part of communist Yugoslavia, where her mother was a patternmaker in a children’s clothing factory and her father, who joined the Communist Party at one point, was a chauffeur and repaired cars. Melania was walking runways by age 7, modeling clothes her mother made, and sat for a photo shoot at 16.

The mythmaking, Jordan writes, began early, when she would fail to correct reporters who cited her age incorrectly, always younger than she was. Despite saying she wouldn’t get plastic surgery, three photographers who worked with her said they have seen the scars.

She attended a highly competitive architecture program at the University of Ljubljana but did not graduate, although she claimed in sworn testimony to have a bachelor’s degree.

There’s also little evidence to suggest that her claims of being able to speak four or five languages fluently are true.

“Photographers and others who have worked with her over the years — including native speakers of Italian, French, and German — told me that they never heard her use more than a few words of those languages,” Jordan writes. Reporting in the book suggests she speaks only English and Slovene fluently.

Meeting Trump accelerated that mythmaking, as he introduced her around the city as a “supermodel” when that was not true. Jordan found little evidence even of the story of how they met — he saw her at a club during Fashion Week in 1998 with a more famous model, but was fixated on Melania, who refused to give him her phone number. Multiple sources, including a German modeling agent she was working for that year, told Jordan that they had heard Melania was already dating Trump before the timeline they laid out.

The ease of Melania’s mythmaking has been aided, Jordan posits, by a pattern in her life of making clean breaks with her past. Old friends from Slovenia said they never heard from her again. Once-close friends from her New York City years say the same thing happened to them.

She “would seize an opportunity and put great effort into it. Then she would move on and never look back,” Jordan writes.

As much as she and Trump seem like complete opposites, Jordan writes, “They are both fighters and survivors and prize loyalty over almost all else. . . . Neither the very public Trump nor the very private Melania has many close friends. Their loner instincts filter into their own marriage.”

That includes the separate bedrooms both at the White House and whenever they travel, and how they will often be in the same building but not the same room.

President Trump tried to register to vote in Florida using an out-of-state address

They also seem to love each other, according to people who witnessed their early courtship, and others who have seen their relationship in the White House go from frosty to warm again.

What emerges is a picture of personal ambition similar to Trump’s. In 1999, when he ran for president on the Reform Party ticket, she gave interviews musing about becoming the next Jackie Kennedy. Later, she echoed Trump’s calls for then-President Barack Obama to produce his birth certificate, an alignment with the “birther” attacks primarily driven by Trump.

“There is ample evidence that from the very beginning,” Jordan writes, “Melania not only accepted and embraced Trump’s political aspirations but was also an encouraging partner.”

According to Roger Stone, the Trump mentor who is set to go to prison for 40 months on convictions including witness tampering to lying to investigators for special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, she always encouraged Trump to run for president. “She’s the one who ultimately said: ‘You know, Donald, stop talking about running for president and do it. . . . And if you run, you’re going to win,’ ” Stone told Jordan.

On the campaign and in the White House, she has been Trump’s sounding board. Christie said she was always Trump’s first phone call when he got on a plane after a rally he knew had been televised. He would ask what she thought, and, Christie said, “she always had commentary to give him, and I think that tells a lot about what he thinks of her.”

She was a key reason Trump chose Mike Pence as his running mate, after Trump arranged a weekend for Melania to get to know him and his wife, Karen. She argued that Pence would be a better choice than Christie or Newt Gingrich. “She believed that he would be content in a number-two spot and not gun for the top job,” Jordan writes, “which was something she could not say about the other two.”

Her influence showed when she issued a rare statement of condemnation about deputy national security adviser Mira Ricardel, which resulted in the adviser’s termination.

Had the coronavirus not forced their cancellation, she would have done her first solo fundraisers for the 2020 campaign in March. “She has told people she wants to win reelection,” Jordan writes.

Many of her moves of late point in that direction, from placing the Medal of Freedom around Rush Limbaugh’s neck to clapping along as Trump called the FBI “scum” in his speech after his acquittal of impeachment charges.

Observers in the White House had noticed an uptick in her mood by mid-2018 that might account for her being so willing to fight for a second term. According to three people close to Trump, Jordan writes, Melania had finally renegotiated the prenup to her liking. She had already been looking out for Barron’s future by making sure he had dual citizenship in Slovenia, which will position him to work in Europe for the Trump Organization when he comes of age.

Now, she had made sure he was not shut out of the family business. Jordan writes: “She wanted proof in writing that when it came to financial opportunities and inheritance, Barron would be treated as more of an equal to Trump’s oldest three children.”

(Clarification: An earlier version of this article suggested that during the 2016 campaign, Melania Trump had been married to President Trump longer than either of his ex-wives. They had been together longer, but that includes time before their marriage. This version has been updated.)
Link

She would be a better POTUS and it isn't even close.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yet another book about Mrs. Trump with false information and sources. This book belongs in the fiction genre," said Stephanie Grisham, Melania Trump's chief of staff.

From a CNN article

“MELANIA DID. NOT. CARE”: IN A BLISTERING NEW BOOK BY STEPHANIE WINSTON WOLKOFF, MELANIA TRUMP SOUNDS A LOT LIKE HER HUSBAND

Wolkoff’s book is remarkable both for its intimacy and for the sheer volume of receipts it contains. It’s also the first real look at what’s under Melania Trump’s hood—which, in Wolkoff’s telling, is surprisingly callous and ugly.
- Vanity Fair review of Stephanie Winston Wolkoff's book.

Melania Trump’s Ex-BFF Tells (Almost) All - An insider’s account of falling out with the First Lady.

Review by Olivia Nuzzi

Melania's ex-friend: Trump family tainted by 'deceit, deception'

"It was amateur hour then, and it's amateur hour now."

A former adviser and close friend of first lady Melania Trump's is now blasting the entire Trump family as a callous clan tainted by "deceit" and "deception," and claiming she's still "working with investigators" to dig into potential financial crimes committed in connection with Donald Trump's inauguration in early 2017.

"It was amateur hour then, and it's amateur hour now, and I think it's really frightening for our country," Stephanie Winston Wolkoff said in an exclusive interview with ABC News's Linsey Davis, a day before the release of her new book, "Melania and Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady."

"Everyone does need to know what ... this presidency is doing and what this propaganda machine behind this man at the White House is doing," she added.

Winston Wolkoff refused to confirm or deny recent reports that she secretly recorded conversations with Melania Trump and even captured the first lady disparaging the president's older children.

Propelled at least in part by later comments from Winston Wolkoff about her time working on the inauguration, local and federal investigators began scrutinizing millions of dollars in allegedly excessive and inexplicable expenditures.

"I'm working with three different prosecutors, and it's taken over my life," she told ABC News, referring to the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Southern District of New York and local attorneys general in New Jersey and Washington, D.C.

She declined to provide ABC News with materials, including documents, to support any of the claims outlined in her book or interview.

The inaugural committee, a private tax-exempt organization, raised nearly $107 million in donations and spent $104 million of that on the event, the most ever for an inauguration -- twice as much as President Barack Obama's first. The money not spent -- totaling about $3 million -- was reportedly donated to charity.

As Winston Wolkoff recalled, she was blindsided when, more than a year after the inauguration, The New York Times reported that Trump's inaugural committee had paid her event-planning firm more than $26 million, sparking headlines around the world suggesting she had personally pocketed all or much of that money.

Those unfair claims made her into "the cover girl for the inauguration shenanigans," she wrote in her book.

In fact, according to her account, $26 million was the total fee paid to a company she formed with two others to manage the inaugural planning. Almost all of that money was then transferred to an outside company hired to produce a series of inaugural events.

Of the remainder, $1.62 million was paid to Winston Wolkoff's personal firm, but -- after payments to the firm's employees -- she says she only received a fraction of that sum.

Winston Wolkoff said that for all of her Trump-associated efforts, including "three months of work -- 24 hours a day, seven days a week -- working on the presidential inauguration," she "made" $480,000. In the year after the inauguration, she worked as an unpaid adviser to Melania Trump at the White House, but that ended in February 2018.

In her book, Winston Wolkoff said she was also dumbfounded by what Melania Trump's spokeswoman told the New York Times around the time of her departure: that "the first lady ‘had no involvement’ with the inaugural committee ‘and had no knowledge of how funds were spent.'"

That was "complete and utter horses--t!" Winston Wolkoff wrote, claiming that Melania Trump was deeply involved in inauguration planning and personally approved at least some expenditures.

"Melania knew it all, every detail, including who was screwing around [and] the type of salmon served at the Candlelight Dinner," according to the book.

In her interview with ABC News, Winston Wolkoff she said she "begged" the first lady to publicly make clear that she did not personally receive anywhere close to $26 million and that Melania Trump had known about the inaugural expenditures.

"[But] when the time came for her to come and speak the truth about a friend who left everything behind to help her, she turned her back on me ... stabbed me in the back," she said.

According to Winston Wolkoff, after her plea for public support, White House officials told Melania Trump to remain silent because "there were going to be possible investigations into the presidential inauguration financing."

Indeed, multiple investigations ensued, at least partly because of Winston Wolkoff herself.

'The question everyone should be asking'

In the wake of the The New York Times' reporting in 2018, Winston Wolkoff tearily confided in Donald Trump's then-personal attorney, Michael Cohen, about the inaugural committee's activities. Cohen secretly recorded the conversation, and the recording was seized by the FBI as part of its investigation into Cohen's unrelated conduct, according to Winston Wolkoff's account.

The recording offered federal authorities at least one new angle to pursue.

According to Winston Wolkoff, she started to realize there could be a problem with the committee's expenditures "when I saw that a tree you could buy for $10 was $1,000, or a stage that would cost $100,000 was $1 million."

"There were a lot of different people involved," she said.

In January, the attorney general for the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit that alleges the inaugural committee spent more than $1 million at the Trump International Hotel as part of a scheme "to enrich the Trump family."

In a statement at the time, Attorney General Karl Racine said his investigation found that Winston Wolkoff had "raised concerns" about the pending expenditures beforehand with the president-elect himself as well as Ivanka Trump, but they ignored them.

The Justice Department has subpoenaed records from the inaugural committee, but it's unclear where ongoing federal investigations may stand.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York declined to comment about its investigation, and Racine’s office would only acknowledge that Winston Wolkoff “provided documents” as part of her “cooperation” after being subpoenaed. The New Jersey attorney general's office did not respond to a request for comment.

An exasperated Winston Wolkoff told ABC News that -- while so much attention has focused on the money paid to the firm she cofounded -- the focus should be on how the rest of the nearly $107 million raised by the inaugural committee was spent.

"That's the question that everyone should be asking," she said. ...

Fake News. 

You guys must have missed the death stare she gave Joe as she got up on the stage.  I'm surprised lasers didn't shoot out of her eyes.  I wouldn't want to receive that look, hopefully Biden can behave better next time.
I really am struggling how either side can overly criticize the behavior of the other party's candidate. That was embarrasing. Be like somebody overly criticizing Mason Rudolph yet not at all criticizing Myles Garrett. 

I really am struggling how either side can overly criticize the behavior of the other party's candidate. That was embarrasing. Be like somebody overly criticizing Mason Rudolph yet not at all criticizing Myles Garrett. 
Ill be more critical of the one who has to perform that way because he knows no other way.  Its not how Joe behaved in other debates but is always how Trump is.

Joe responded, and he should have stayed above it, no doubt.  But where it starts is clear.

I was responding to comments being made about one of the candidates WIFE and you chose to single me out with this?  Wow man. 

I was responding to comments being made about one of the candidates WIFE and you chose to single me out with this?  Wow man. 
Huh? I apologize if I misread it, but you were referring to Biden’s wife shooting lasers at Biden?

Huh? I apologize if I misread it, but you were referring to Biden’s wife shooting lasers at Biden?
@tonydead I see you laughed at this. I genuinely don't understand what you were saying. If I got it wrong, I intend to apologize but I still don't know what it is exactly you're saying you said. 

Zow said:
@tonydead I see you laughed at this. I genuinely don't understand what you were saying. If I got it wrong, I intend to apologize but I still don't know what it is exactly you're saying you said. 
1- Saints criticized the first lady for her reactions at the end of the debate. 

2- I responded by saying she gave the death stare to Biden (at the end of the debate) and criticized Biden. 

3- You criticized me for criticizing Biden. 

4- I wondered why you would single me out for criticizing a candidate and not those criticizing a candidate's wife. 

5- You posted that you thought I was talking about Bidens wife not the first lady. I laughed. 

6- Recently, I realized Saints original post and several others have disappeared which explains why you didnt pick up on the context of my post and why I thought you were criticizing unfairly.  I dont know why the mods do that.  Well I do, but I cant say.  

listening to the whole recording, i think that headlining it as "give me a ####### break" in response to question about incarcerated immigrant children is a little disingenuous.

i don't care about melania, but my overall take on that was that she was just venting and frustrated with all of the demands on her.  she said "give me a ####### break" more in the sense that she feels like she can never win with anything. 

listening to the whole recording, i think that headlining it as "give me a ####### break" in response to question about incarcerated immigrant children is a little disingenuous.

i don't care about melania, but my overall take on that was that she was just venting and frustrated with all of the demands on her.  she said "give me a ####### break" more in the sense that she feels like she can never win with anything. 
Melania might be secretly hoping that her husband loses the election, because she doesn't like the job of First Lady. I was a Christmas Scrooge with my ex when it came to putting up the outside lights, at times. But Melania has a team to help her decorate. I guess it's not her thing. 

SHES A DIRT BAG!!!!!

smh, people are something else 

Melania might be secretly hoping that her husband loses the election, because she doesn't like the job of First Lady. I was a Christmas Scrooge with my ex when it came to putting up the outside lights, at times. But Melania has a team to help her decorate. I guess it's not her thing. 
It sounded a lot more like this was the overarching theme of the conversation. Decorating for Christmas sounded like something she deemed as unimportant, not that she "hates" Christmas. And I think she was saying there's really nothing she can do about the migrant children, that it needed to go through the courts. 

Its not what she signed up for.

She agreed to be the trophy wife for a rich #######. She wanted to have nice things, relax in nice places and live a care free life. And if that meant occasional "time" with Donald and having to swallow the fact that he was likely cheating on her every chance he got, ok.

Now she has to constantly do stuff, all of which is in the public eye. All of her actions are scrutinized to the highest degree and her son (seriously....poor kid) now has to deal with god knows how much crap.

Guarantee she hopes he loses. And she'll almost certainly divorce him within 5 years after he leaves office (probably much sooner). Not a doubt in my mind.

Its not what she signed up for.

She agreed to be the trophy wife for a rich #######. She wanted to have nice things, relax in nice places and live a care free life. And if that meant occasional "time" with Donald and having to swallow the fact that he was likely cheating on her every chance he got, ok.

Now she has to constantly do stuff, all of which is in the public eye. All of her actions are scrutinized to the highest degree and her son (seriously....poor kid) now has to deal with god knows how much crap.

Guarantee she hopes he loses. And she'll almost certainly divorce him within 5 years after he leaves office (probably much sooner). Not a doubt in my mind.
"I Really Don't Care.  Do U?" said her jacket.

And the theme of Melania's big project, BeBest, which has the potential to save many lives, and may have saved lives, was trashed almost daily by her husband.  Michelle and other first ladies had the real support of their husbands. 

Users who are viewing this thread