What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Back to divisional round for 3rd time in 4 years (1 Viewer)

Atlanta may have the worst defense in the league though. Same with Dallas. Neither will be serious contenders but they’ll be fun. 

Saints are the only one you mentioned I think could be good. Arizona is going 9-8 and SF has a mess at QB. Imo. 
Anyone who can put up points is a threat.  Atlanta went toe to toe with us twice.  I could be wrong on Zona, but like I said, there's always someone you don't expect that makes a decent run. 

I won't lie though.  I'm rooting for Rodgers to get shipped off to the AFC too. 

If they return the entire offensive and defensive lines from 2020, look out NFL. Those lines were awesome through the entire playoffs.

Brady, Brady Brady, blah blah blah. Not arguing about how good he is but he's a lot less factor in their success than the OL and DL.
After a 2nd read i see your point about the OL/DL and Joe Tryon is only going to add to their Front 7 or Edge rushers like Shaq and JPP. 

Still would not discount what Brady did for this team, city, State, boat parades  ;)

Adding Tryon to the Edge rush rotation was probably the only way a rookie would be able to make an immediate impact in 2021 (barring injury). 

I would have liked to see them add another DB instead of Trask, but I understand their reasoning in selecting him.   The free agency market for QBs is brutal after this season so getting a QB in here a year early to see if he can be the successor makes a lot of sense.  Not to mention they should expect to be picking fairly late in the draft again.

Trask should still inherit a talented roster once Brady hangs them up. 

Anyone who can put up points is a threat.  Atlanta went toe to toe with us twice.  I could be wrong on Zona, but like I said, there's always someone you don't expect that makes a decent run. 

I won't lie though.  I'm rooting for Rodgers to get shipped off to the AFC too. 
Sure the Falcons can come together and beat the Bucs, or anybody on a given Sunday but you think they’re a super bowl threat? I doubt they even make the playoffs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding Tryon to the Edge rush rotation was probably the only way a rookie would be able to make an immediate impact in 2021 (barring injury). 

I would have liked to see them add another DB instead of Trask, but I understand their reasoning in selecting him.   The free agency market for QBs is brutal after this season so getting a QB in here a year early to see if he can be the successor makes a lot of sense.  Not to mention they should expect to be picking fairly late in the draft again.

Trask should still inherit a talented roster once Brady hangs them up. 
My only issue with it, and this is without the benefit of knowledge they have, is that I expect Brady to play at least 2 more seasons and maybe 3. Physically he doesn’t even look close to being finished. 

Fun Fact:

The last time the Cowboys and Bucs faced off in Week 1 was the 2001 season.  Brad Johnson's first game as a Buccaneer.  The Bucs held the Quincy Carter led Cowboys to 34 yards passing and 127 total yards in a 10-6 victory.  It was Tampa Bay's first ever victory in Dallas.

9/11 was two days later. Nearly twenty years ago.

Schedule is soft. 14-3
I'm at 15-2/16-1, they could make a run. Rams on the road not easy BUT they aren't going to be gassed rolling into town after B2B home games to open the season. They go to Foxboro week after the Rams, could be an upset brewing there. 

They are going to be favored vs all 3 Division opponents but the Falcons have the offense and I think they are going to win 10 games this year, Bucs could easily split there. But 5-1/4-2 likely in the Division, maybe more like 6-0. 

@ WFT however that will be after a very smooth BYE week the NFL handed them right in the middle of the season, perfect. They don't see a tough opponent on the back half of their schedule with closing games of @ Car, @ NYJ and CAR at home to close the season, it's mighty soft. 

Brady could go 20-0 this year and then call it a career. That would shatter the Phins record of 17-0 in '72 and that would pretty much cover every record there is for him. 

Look man if they go 20-0 and back to back with the greatest QB ever all us Bucs fans have to stop watching football because that’s the top of the mountain and it would never get better. 

fwiw, I give that about a 1% chance, if that. 

Grahamburn said:
Fun Fact:

The last time the Cowboys and Bucs faced off in Week 1 was the 2001 season.  Brad Johnson's first game as a Buccaneer.  The Bucs held the Quincy Carter led Cowboys to 34 yards passing and 127 total yards in a 10-6 victory.  It was Tampa Bay's first ever victory in Dallas.

9/11 was two days later. Nearly twenty years ago.
And I'm guessing Brady is the only guy still in the league from that day?

Capella said:
Look man if they go 20-0 and back to back with the greatest QB ever all us Bucs fans have to stop watching football because that’s the top of the mountain and it would never get better. 

Their real odds were +7,500 last year. Probably a bit better for 2021.

Capella said:

Even the bandwagon ones that I see in here now?

Even the bandwagon ones that I see in here now?
Watch who you're calling bandwagon, chief  ;)

I watched this team under Sam Wyche at the Big Sombrero, worked with Lee Roy Selmon when USF launched their football program, the Community Investment Tax Stadium and so on and so forth. After Gruden left I did start to lose some interest but had high hopes when they got Arians, you can call me bandwagon, it's fine. I just enjoy watching them and wish they would wear the creamscicle jerseys more often. 

Bandwagon fans don’t bother me. Absolutely every successful team has had them. 
They used to really bug me, and successful Florida teams are the worst at attracting them, but as I got older I realized it just adds to the atmosphere. The buzz of the city has been amazing the last few years with the Champa Bay moxy. 

Week 1 '97 the beginning of a new day in Tampa Bay as I like to say. This would be the game where Sapp and crew give Steve Young a new outlook on the NFL, sorry Niners fans. This was the game where fans took a step back and asked "who are these guys?" and from the opening shot I think you can tell it wasn't exactly a sellout that day. 

This is what got me energized towards the team and made me a believer early on in the Dungy era that things were about to change. I keep waiting for the Phins to have one of these breakout games vs one of the NFL elites...maybe this year? Maybe Phillips can be the Sapp type of personality the team needs 🤷‍♂️

-Everyone has these days they mark down, this was always one of them for me. It was like going to see the Lightning at Tropicana in front of like 25,000+ you were either there or you weren't in the 90's. 1st year at Expo Hall I can remember. This specific game to me is like when Marino opened the '84 season vs the Washington Redskins. 

Week 1 '84 Marino tosses 5 TDs

@Capella and other Bucs faithful...forgive the lengthy post, but please provide follow-up commentary, thanks!

...are folks missing the boat in regards to Leonard Fournette?

I'm a big Gio guy, and I've followed the narrative of his acquisition and performance so far in Bucs camp. IMHO, he's the most well-rounded RB in the group, and has proven capable of handing an RB1 role when given the opp in Cinci. Sure he's a little older, and yes, he was acquired primarily because of his prowess as a passing down back, but his skills aren't limited to that role - he's capable of being more, if given the opp. Versatility is his game, and he's competent in all aspects. Has already endeared himself to Brady, and looks to have an important role in the 2021 offense.

Everything I've read/listened to about Ronald Jones defines him as primarily a runner. Although he's caught some passes, he's viewed more as a 1st/2nd-down runner...maybe he's just lesser a receiver than Gio and Lenny, not that he's bad at it.

Apparently, he's a pretty decent runner in his own right. Lenny was a 1st-rounder, Jones a 2nd-rounder...but overall Lenny is some measure better than Jones at just about everything, or does Jones have some skill area advantages over Lenny?

I've got a buddy who's lived in Tampa for a few years now. He's also a Fournette Owner in Dynasty; drafted Lenny as a Rookie. He's tuned in to all the local buzz about the Bucs.

While I'm kind of lumping Lenny in with Jones, and backs like Gordon, Conner, James Robinson, Damien Harris and others that don't necessarily excite me, my buddy feels very strongly that everything he's hearing and reading locally leads him to believe Fournette can be a strong RB2, drafted in the 9-11th Round.

There's a narrative, possibly a significant one, about Lenny returning to the Bucs instead of taking more $ (Seattle made him a decent offer, I think). The narrative concerns his apparently special relationship with Brady, and apparently he's 'Brady's guy', and may have been promised some sort of majority workload.

Of course, they brought Gio in after that had transpired...

Certainly there's a narrative from 2020 about September Lenny vs Playoff Lenny, and is Playoff Lenny the new normal...

You'd like to think a guy taken at 1.04 in the 2017 NFL Draft could be a bell-cow RB under the right circumstances, and the Bucs offense certainly should post some massive offensive aggregates unless Father Time catches up with Tom Terrific this Season.

I find it hard to believe Gio won't get enough work to sap significantly from Lenny/Jones, to the point where he might become Brady's favorite. I think there's at least some possibility of that.

Do Fournette/Jones cancel each other out from a rushing attempts perspective?

Is Jones more or less Fournette's handcuff, and Gio is Gio, as in 1st String/2nd String + unique guy?

FBG Expert PPR Rankings, currently with 19 contributors chiming in:

Lenny RB32

Jones RB37

Gio RB51

I'm not seeing any of those with any clarity.

In the case of my guy Gio, everything is pointed to him being James White+. IMHO there's nothing so superlative about Lenny or Jones that will block Gio from getting all the snaps he's designed for, and maybe more. James White+ in the Bucs Offense, with Tom being terrific,  is not finishing outside RB36, barring injury. PPR, likely higher, as in RB2 (13-24). There's just no way I can conceive of that not happening, as things stand right now.

Again, barring Brady collapse, the Bucs offense may produce some of the highest aggregates in modern NFL history. Even when JWhite was at his finest in NE, they still generated some handsome rushing #'s, and no one else is significantly sniffing the rushing load besides Fournette/Jones.

No circumstance, barring injury, I can conceive of Lenny and Jones both finishing in the RB30's. 

Why can't Lenny be a PPR RB2 (13-24)? Especially if Brady is truly calling the shots on offense, both personnel and play-calling, and he is, in fact 'Brady's guy'

What's the story with Jones?

I'm sort of free-associating here with my thoughts, but I'd sure appreciate some home-grown perspective that might provide some clarity as to what's going on in TB.

My buddy is my high-stakes partner, and we've been very successful over the years. We are at loggerheads over Fournette, because I have my doubts.

The style in which we draft, that Round-range 8-12, is pretty significant to our planning, and I am hesitant to invest in Fournette at that point, because I'm not sure about the ROI (under certain scenarios, we will be hunting 4th RB's with RB2 upside).

I'm trying to keep an open mind, though, and would appreciate any supporting info anyone might provide. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Capella and other Bucs faithful...forgive the lengthy post, but please provide follow-up commentary, thanks!

...are folks missing the boat in regards to Leonard Fournette?

I'm a big Gio guy, and I've followed the narrative of his acquisition and performance so far in Bucs camp. IMHO, he's the most well-rounded RB in the group, and has proven capable of handing an RB1 role when given the opp in Cinci. Sure he's a little older, and yes, he was acquired primarily because of his prowess as a passing down back, but his skills aren't limited to that role - he's capable of being more, if given the opp. Versatility is his game, and he's competent in all aspects. Has already endeared himself to Brady, and looks to have an important role in the 2021 offense.

Everything I've read/listened to about Ronald Jones defines him as primarily a runner. Although he's caught some passes, he's viewed more as a 1st/2nd-down runner...maybe he's just lesser a receiver than Gio and Lenny, not that he's bad at it.

Apparently, he's a pretty decent runner in his own right. Lenny was a 1st-rounder, Jones a 2nd-rounder...but overall Lenny is some measure better than Jones at just about everything, or does Jones have some skill area advantages over Lenny?

I've got a buddy who's lived in Tampa for a few years now. He's also a Fournette Owner in Dynasty; drafted Lenny as a Rookie. He's tuned in to all the local buzz about the Bucs.

While I'm kind of lumping Lenny in with Jones, and backs like Gordon, Conner, James Robinson, Damien Harris and others that don't necessarily excite me, my buddy feels very strongly that everything he's hearing and reading locally leads him to believe Fournette can be a strong RB2, drafted in the 9-11th Round.

There's a narrative, possibly a significant one, about Lenny returning to the Bucs instead of taking more $ (Seattle made him a decent offer, I think). The narrative concerns his apparently special relationship with Brady, and apparently he's 'Brady's guy', and may have been promised some sort of majority workload.

Of course, they brought Gio in after that had transpired...

Certainly there's a narrative from 2020 about September Lenny vs Playoff Lenny, and is Playoff Lenny the new normal...

You'd like to think a guy taken at 1.04 in the 2017 NFL Draft could be a bell-cow RB under the right circumstances, and the Bucs offense certainly should post some massive offensive aggregates unless Father Time catches up with Tom Terrific this Season.

I find it hard to believe Gio won't get enough work to sap significantly from Lenny/Jones, to the point where he might become Brady's favorite. I think there's at least some possibility of that.

Do Fournette/Jones cancel each other out from a rushing attempts perspective?

Is Jones more or less Fournette's handcuff, and Gio is Gio, as in 1st String/2nd String + unique guy?

FBG Expert PPR Rankings, currently with 19 contributors chiming in:

Lenny RB32

Jones RB37

Gio RB51

I'm not seeing any of those with any clarity.

In the case of my guy Gio, everything is pointed to him being James White+. IMHO there's nothing so superlative about Lenny or Jones that will block Gio from getting all the snaps he's designed for, and maybe more. James White+ in the Bucs Offense, with Tom being terrific,  is not finishing outside RB36, barring injury. PPR, likely higher, as in RB2 (13-24). There's just no way I can conceive of that not happening, as things stand right now.

Again, barring Brady collapse, the Bucs offense may produce some of the highest aggregates in modern NFL history. Even when JWhite was at his finest in NE, they still generated some handsome rushing #'s, and no one else is significantly sniffing the rushing load besides Fournette/Jones.

No circumstance, barring injury, I can conceive of Lenny and Jones both finishing in the RB30's. 

Why can't Lenny be a PPR RB2 (13-24)? Especially if Brady is truly calling the shots on offense, both personnel and play-calling, and he is, in fact 'Brady's guy'

What's the story with Jones?

I'm sort of free-associating here with my thoughts, but I'd sure appreciate some home-grown perspective that might provide some clarity as to what's going on in TB.

My buddy is my high-stakes partner, and we've been very successful over the years. We are at loggerheads over Fournette, because I have my doubts.

The style in which we draft, that Round-range 8-12, is pretty significant to our planning, and I am hesitant to invest in Fournette at that point, because I'm not sure about the ROI (under certain scenarios, we will be hunting 4th RB's with RB2 upside).

I'm trying to keep an open mind, though, and would appreciate any supporting info anyone might provide. Thanks!
Imo Leonard and Rojo will end up primarily in a 50/50 split on first and second downs and Gio will be almost 100% on passing and third downs. The Leonard/RJ thing may come down to who gets hot individually each game, although I think RJ is a far better back personally. 

What a game to be at. Haven’t been in a few years obviously. 

Having Brady on our team still feels like a dream. 
Absolutely electric environment.  First game I've been to in a few years. 

Odd feeling to look up at the clock with ~1:20 left and know they're going to win.

33.  They'll need to get fancy with the cap again to afford him as well.  Meh. 
Ended up being fairly cheap. $1M base with $500k guaranteed and several incentives to get to a total of $2.25M. Hopefully has a little left or at least enough until they can get healthy. 

Grahamburn said:
Richard Sherman band aid to the rescue. 
Has to be better than Cockrell and Delaney. I think he’ll be a solid addition. I’m sure nowhere near as good as he used to be but he just has to raise the floor. 

They had multiple games like this last year as well.  People forget they were 7-5 at one point.  Winning 10 in a row can get you kind of jaded.  Let's hope an embarrassing loss in a big game is a wake up call.

It’s going to be extremely hard to go back to reality when Tampa Bay Buccaneers legend Tom Brady finally retires. 
I do want to just remind everyone that the NFC is top heavy this year and you got Arizona 7-0, GB 6-1, Dallas 5-1, Rams 6-1, all of those teams have offenses that strike fear into me. I love the Bucs and this joy ride has been a lot of fun but I am concerned if they don't go like 14-2 and avoid 3 full Playoff games to get to the SB, I know they went on the road last year and won all 3 so they are battle tested but I'm just saying that last year it was WFT, Brees at AARP and then it took quite a coaching blunder IMHO last year in Green Bay, don't want to have to go back there if at all possible. 

Things can change ad I would like to see the Bucs at full strength come Dec/Jan and that's never easy with the way injuries pile up in the NFL. 

-Brady at 44 might not be Brady at 34 but by gawd he can hit the open receivers like no one else prior to him but he did miss a wide open OJ Howard I think on a play where he knew he way overthrew it or just flat missed. Even if he does that once or twice a game, he makes many more accurate throws than anyone else I've seen put on a Bucs uniform. God Bless Brad Johnson for holding the fort down for 1 season but he was nothing like this. 

Godwin was like 1 yard shy of a TD on that post over the middle, that was an awesome looking play in the 2nd Half, they were way up and Bucs could have done what New England did, felt like they could have upped it to 45-55 easily had they wanted to.

Evans was having a field day in the red zone.  

wgoldsph said:
Would make the MASH final episode look like a 4pm Jets-jags game
I think the ratings would be closer to the Jets Jags game than the Mash final episode. Most people outside of NE and Tampa are sick of Tom Brady.

I think the ratings would be closer to the Jets Jags game than the Mash final episode. Most people outside of NE and Tampa are sick of Tom Brady.
They are 💯 sick of Tom Brady which enhances the fascination that his replacement would beat him on the highest stage. The ratings potential is astronomical 

Big game tomorrow. Likely to be the last game they aren’t favored by double-digits. Gotta think if they beat the Bills they’ll end up 14-3 — that first-round bye would be amazing. 

I don’t really expect them to lose anymore, but they’re going to get Buffalo’s best shot today. They’ll need to match that intensity. 

Supposed to be a TON of Bills’ fans at the game. 

I don’t really expect them to lose anymore, but they’re going to get Buffalo’s best shot today. They’ll need to match that intensity. 

Supposed to be a TON of Bills’ fans at the game
Any time Miami and Tampa Bay host a Northern city team in December you can usually expect their fans in droves, they'll go to the beach if nothing else and get out of the cold for a few days. 

Green Bay, Buffalo, both New York teams, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, these folks love coming down to Florida and making a vacation out of it. 

Go Bucs!

Supposed to be a TON of Bills’ fans at the game. 
Yea the price I can sell my tickets for today is unconscionable. 

However, I am going. Only so many times I will get to see Brady and Gronk. 

Users who are viewing this thread