What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

Interesting article from Septemberhttps://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/03/no-quarantine-quarterback-for-broncos/

Coach Vic Fangio told reporters on Thursday that Denver won’t have a so-called quarantine quarterback.

“I don’t think it’s necessary to be honest with you,” Fangio said. 

Here’s the thing. It’s not an issue until it is. And then it’s a huge issue, if the team has no quarterbacks.

But that’s a calculated risk the Broncos will be taking. And it’s one of the reasons why teams shouldn’t get a dispensation from the Commissioner and his outside advisory committee if, for whatever reason, they don’t have 46 players to dress and/or if the virus and/or injuries wipe out one position group entirely. Football if the ultimate next man up sport, and if a team makes the tactical decision to not keep a quarterback away from the rest of the quarterbacks in the event all of the quarterbacks get the virus, the team should be expected to deal with that development if all of the quarterbacks end up being unable to play, notwithstanding any and all knocking on wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is there a complete and current list of players listed as out for Covid any place?  Some sites only seem to show "fantasy-relevant" players.  Ideally this list would get updated when players come off the list too, not just when they go on it.

Very interesting in the Jeff Driskel news

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/1332800917167628294

I REALLY don't want to be that guy, but how do the Broncos not pull these guys and the NFL has to do it reviewing the Broncos own tape?
Because we live in a country *full* of people that refuse to take personal responsibility and do the right thing, combined with being part of what can only be described as a nation of D students. Rampant ignorance combined with rampant selfishness. Sigh. Checking out now.

So is there a complete and current list of players listed as out for Covid any place?  Some sites only seem to show "fantasy-relevant" players.  Ideally this list would get updated when players come off the list too, not just when they go on it.
Not that I know of. But if you go to a team's official website they'll have their Covid roster. 

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

All the QBs on the Broncos' roster are ineligible to play Sunday against the Saints after being deemed high-risk, close contacts, sources tell ESPN. None were wearing masks at the time of exposure, per source.

5:02 PM · Nov 28, 2020

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

All the QBs on the Broncos' roster are ineligible to play Sunday against the Saints after being deemed high-risk, close contacts, sources tell ESPN. None were wearing masks at the time of exposure, per source.

5:02 PM · Nov 28, 2020
This should be interesting

Niners might need to look for new practice area in different county

@fiona_kelliher: NEW: Santa Clara County expected to release new COVID-19 restrictions this afternoon, including a 14-day quarantine for those traveling to the county from 150+ miles away and a three-week pause on high school, collegiate & professional sports @mercnews https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/28/santa-clara-county-to-release-new-covid-19-restrictions-on-heels-of-san-francisco/
Practice area?  They need a new place to play even since they have a home game scheduled on 12/7 :eek:

-QG

Not far off. Royce Freeman is the emergency QB
Broncos source said it will not be Freeman but rather Hinton from the practice squad that will be the starting qb tomorrow

“Per team source: Looking more and more like former Wake QB and current Broncos PS WRKendall Hinton will be Broncos QB tomorrow and NOT Royce Freeman per league source.”

Interesting article from Septemberhttps://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/03/no-quarantine-quarterback-for-broncos/

Coach Vic Fangio told reporters on Thursday that Denver won’t have a so-called quarantine quarterback.

“I don’t think it’s necessary to be honest with you,” Fangio said. 

Here’s the thing. It’s not an issue until it is. And then it’s a huge issue, if the team has no quarterbacks.

But that’s a calculated risk the Broncos will be taking. And it’s one of the reasons why teams shouldn’t get a dispensation from the Commissioner and his outside advisory committee if, for whatever reason, they don’t have 46 players to dress and/or if the virus and/or injuries wipe out one position group entirely. Football if the ultimate next man up sport, and if a team makes the tactical decision to not keep a quarterback away from the rest of the quarterbacks in the event all of the quarterbacks get the virus, the team should be expected to deal with that development if all of the quarterbacks end up being unable to play, notwithstanding any and all knocking on wood.
Need a :ptts:  emoji option in the smiley section for situations like this

-QG

The lack of masks is stunning. Most teams are holding these team group meetings via Skype/Zoom/Webex to begin with; if Denver needed to do in-person meetings why the #### would you not mask up/take medical precautions? I have no sympathy for Denver and hope the organization gets fined to the Moon.

so what is the logic of when to move a game and when to make a team play without a rostered QB? seems kind of inconsistent.
Well, when a team has intentionally made the decision not to isolate a QB for Covid reasons and then allowing all their guys to be in close contact with no masks for any of them, I think the NFL is absolutely right to force them to play without a QB. They made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

Well, when a team has intentionally made the decision not to isolate a QB for Covid reasons and then allowing all their guys to be in close contact with no masks for any of them, I think the NFL is absolutely right to force them to play without a QB. They made their bed, now they have to lie in it.
is that the logic they used? i'm honestly curious. i mean they've moved bye weeks, played some Tuesday night Maction, and now there's this.

Bingo. No consistency. Just shutdown the season.

They've jumped through hoops to move the Ravens. Stood there with their thumbs up their ### with the 49ers/Packers on a short week.

so what is the logic of when to move a game and when to make a team play without a rostered QB? seems kind of inconsistent.

The lack of masks is stunning. Most teams are holding these team group meetings via Skype/Zoom/Webex to begin with; if Denver needed to do in-person meetings why the #### would you not mask up/take medical precautions? I have no sympathy for Denver and hope the organization gets fined to the Moon.
You seem to know a lot about what happened exactly.

is that the logic they used? i'm honestly curious
Oh, I have no idea what logic they are actually using. Not sure there really is any as it’s clear they are making things up as they go along rather than having any actual plans. And with conditions continuing to devolve as things get worse around the country, I’m guessing the NFL will look worse and worse as they make decisions that are inconsistent and lead to unfair advantages and disadvantages.

It’s sort of interesting that Goodell has been pretty much MIA this year. He has shown zero leadership through this IMO.

You seem to know a lot about what happened exactly.
Reading the news from the NFL/beatwriters and comparing them to some of the guidelines other teams are doing does help. I mean there are teams that aren't even doing the unit meetings in-person anymore except on the practice field.

Oh, I have no idea what logic they are actually using. Not sure there really is any as it’s clear they are making things up as they go along rather than having any actual plans. And with conditions continuing to devolve as things get worse around the country, I’m guessing the NFL will look worse and worse as they make decisions that are inconsistent and lead to unfair advantages and disadvantages.

It’s sort of interesting that Goodell has been pretty much MIA this year. He has shown zero leadership through this IMO.
I think they're basing it on the contact tracing. They moved Ravens/Steelers due to quick tracing of the coach (who could still be punished as well as the team) and they're relying on testing to weed out the remnants, but it seems like they are behind for the Broncos/Saints because the NFL had to seemingly step in and request the QBs be restricted. Further investigation is going on now but it's happening very late in the process.

Santa Clara County has banned sports teams from practicing or playing games for the next 3 weeks. That would potentially affect TWO 49ers home games.

Hmmm......Oakland Coliseum isn't in Santa Clara County.

Niners might need to look for new practice area in different county

@fiona_kelliher: NEW: Santa Clara County expected to release new COVID-19 restrictions this afternoon, including a 14-day quarantine for those traveling to the county from 150+ miles away and a three-week pause on high school, collegiate & professional sports @mercnews https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/11/28/santa-clara-county-to-release-new-covid-19-restrictions-on-heels-of-san-francisco/ 
I would think this would also mean that once the 49ers leave Santa Clara county, they can't return without being subject to quarantine as well.

I think they made the decision long ago that unfair disadvantages would have no impact on the decision process.  Nor should it, in my opinion.  

The reason to reschedule a game to later in the week should be based on additional positive tests coming in from players that were not previously identified as being close contacts.  If those 3 Denver QB's are all isolated and not close contacts of any other team member, then presumably even if one of them tests positive they are still within their own bubble and not likely to have given it to a teammate.  But since at the moment those QB's are NOT positive, only close contacts with insufficient time by Sunday to have the needed 5 days of negative tests, there is no reason to assume at this point the actual infection has spread beyond Driskel.  That's where the "abundance of caution" comes in - close contacts are not known to be infected, but we're going to keep you away in the interim just to make sure.

Broncos source said it will not be Freeman but rather Hinton from the practice squad that will be the starting qb tomorrow

“Per team source: Looking more and more like former Wake QB and current Broncos PS WRKendall Hinton will be Broncos QB tomorrow and NOT Royce Freeman per league source.”
@FletcherWDSU: Per @RapSheet the Broncos will play practice squad WR Kendall Hinton at QB vs. the #Saints   on Sunday.

Last time Hinton played QB full time, his freshman season at Wake Forest.

He played 9 games:
929 yards passing, four touchdowns, 
390 yards, seven touchdowns. https://twitter.com/FletcherWDSU/status/1332836000201125892/photo/1

I'll bite 

Broncos start a practice squad wr at QB, but the Ravens can't start RG3? 

Is there no other positive or close contact broncos?

I'll bite 

I think that is the difference. Baltimore and the Steelers keep having positive tests. So it needs to be delayed. Broncos haven’t. Now that could change tomorrow 

I think that is the difference. Baltimore and the Steelers keep having positive tests. So it needs to be delayed. Broncos haven’t. Now that could change tomorrow 
Yeah, that's a ##### thing about all this. It's entirely possible there are more carriers who haven't tested positive yet. Then they play, then players come up positive. And saints players get it.

Yeah, that's a ##### thing about all this. It's entirely possible there are more carriers who haven't tested positive yet. Then they play, then players come up positive. And saints players get it.
Hence the reoccurring flaw in the testing system. But don't worry; the NFL officials have assured teams you can't catch COVID-19 on the playing field.

I'll bite 

The Ravens source of infection had access to multiple units hence the 20 Ravens on Covid IR (18 since Monday)

When should they move the game to?  

It sucks, but when one or two teams have an outbreak, F em.  They might have to forfeit.  Kinda like the Ravens.  

They SHOULD have made the regular season 18 or 19 weeks back before the season when things like this were obviously going to happen, giving them options.

I suppose they still could but it really looks like they are gonna just stay on schedule.  Makes no sense because they could make more money adding weeks.  Oh well

@FUBAR it looks like Jene is using a Twitter thread for your question

https://twitter.com/JeneBramel/status/1332852825588715520

@JeneBramel: The difference between BAL-PIT and NO-DEN is related to contact tracing.

The NFL is prioritizing its need/desire to play out its current schedule over competition issues. If medical committee feels playing game is safe, the NFL will move games and teams around as needed.

1/n

@JeneBramel: The extent of the BAL outbreak is still unknown.

If Ravens can get to 48 hours of negative tests and contact tracing suggests no ongoing high-risk exposures, the game will be played within the Week 12 schedule – with as much as 1/3 of the Ravens isolated or quarantined.

2/n

@JeneBramel: DEN has a single asymptomatic positive and low number of high-risk close contacts. They have 48 hrs of negative tests. Driskel’s positive test was Thurs. 

Striking to see entire position group out, but if no ongoing positive tests – the game will be played as scheduled.

3/n

@JeneBramel: I'm not arguing for or against the NFL plan.

But the decision-making on BAL-PIT and NO-DEN is consistent w/ their COVID protocols and reflects NFL's clear objectives to minimize future scheduling nightmares and finish season on time.

4/4

When should they move the game to?  

It sucks, but when one or two teams have an outbreak, F em.  They might have to forfeit.  Kinda like the Ravens.  

They SHOULD have made the regular season 18 or 19 weeks back before the season when things like this were obviously going to happen, giving them options.

I suppose they still could but it really looks like they are gonna just stay on schedule.  Makes no sense because they could make more money adding weeks.  Oh well
i'm not disagreeing with any of this. i'm just asking where the logic comes from. seems kind of fly by the seat of the pants and contrary to what they have done up to now.

as for the bolded, that's not what's happened this yr. it's pretty much been the opposite of that.

Oof. Jene is also saying there are reports that the Broncos players weren’t wearing their contact tracing devices and did not initially cooperate with the NFL’s contact tracers. Yikes.

Link

@JeneBramel: DEN has a single asymptomatic positive and low number of high-risk close contacts. They have 48 hrs of negative tests. Driskel’s positive test was Thurs. 

Striking to see entire position group out, but if no ongoing positive tests – the game will be played as scheduled.

3/n

@JeneBramel: I'm not arguing for or against the NFL plan.

But the decision-making on BAL-PIT and NO-DEN is consistent w/ their COVID protocols and reflects NFL's clear objectives to minimize future scheduling nightmares and finish season on time.

4/4
That helps, thanks. I assumed the positive test was more recent. 

Oof. Jene is also saying there are reports that the Broncos players weren’t wearing their contact tracing devices and did not initially cooperate with the NFL’s contact tracers. Yikes.

Link
That's the kind of thing that warrants sanctions. The teams need better control. 

Link
This is why I posted what I posted earlier. ZERO SYMPATHY for these guys or the organization.

This is why I posted what I posted earlier. ZERO SYMPATHY for these guys or the organization.
Agreed, I know there is no perfect solution.  Whatever the NFL decides I don’t think the Broncos, Ravens or Steelers can complain at all. They caught this and need to deal with the consequences. 

Is Kendall Hinton a QB or a WR on ESPN?

-QG
QB on ESPN, but WR on CBS.
I really dislike ESPN overriding a team's roster designation.

Hinton is still officially listed as WR on the roster posted on Denver's website, and they have not announced yet that Hinton will play QB. And the transaction trackers at NFL.com and ESPN.com have had no mention of Hinton being signed to Denver's active roster.

At this point the ONLY sources are some members of the press, but all they've said is that it's "looking" like Hinton will play QB. AND THAT'S APPARENTLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR ESPN. 🙄

It also totally contradicts the precedent that ESPN JUST SET with Taysom Hill! Last week it was "We go with whatever spot a player lines up at" and this week it's "We go with whatever Adam Schefter thinks." 🤡

What makes this whole affair even more ridiculous is that ESPN hasn't changed Royce Freeman's designation EVEN THOUGH THE TEAM SAID HE WAS THEIR EMERGENCY QB! 😧

But it really doesn't matter anyway, because ESPN has gutlessly LOCKED Hinton, so you wouldn't be able to play him at QB or WR even if you wanted to! 😒

The whole thing is a debacle.

That they move all this for the Ravens (thus giving disadvantages to the Steelers by not also moving their next Sunday game)...and just saying Denver should put whoever at QB is nuts.  Also affecting other teams and competitive issues with seeing and so on.   Sure, be happy just having football...but man the inconsistency and selective moving of things and accommodating some is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread