What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

I can't speak for everyone but my home doesn't have 100+ players, coaches, & staff coming in and out every day.  

I don't consider any place with over a hundred people coming and going to be 'safe'.
Said what you wanted to, not a reply

how will you determine if it's looking good?

just curious because i have a similar type of situation, but am still at a total loss for how and when to know that it's looking good enough to start BUF/TEN players.
No more positive test results by MNF is probably the barometer I’ll use, but I’ll also take the score of my matchup into account (I’m heavily favored but also leading in the points race that gets a payout in my league so it’s essentially a question of how greedy I want to try to be or not). I basically looked at it as buying myself another 36 hours to get more info 

The Broncos got totally ####ed out of a bye week. 
While true, in the grand scheme of things, this is pretty far down the list of the league's concerns. Baseball players got ####ed out of playing over 100 games and got a fraction of their salaries this year. Yeah, I get it . . . this is football, so who cares about baseball?

People have been posting that teams should have had forfeits, had their schedules all messed up, might have to play after the regular season ends, might not have enough rest before the playoffs, etc. In the big picture of trying to get a season of football in, the league is not going to care about any of these things. They're just not. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg of some of the things that teams will have to work around. Can you imagine what will happen if Mahomes tested positive the day before a playoff game?

there are 2 teams that have not managed to stay far away enough from society to keep this train running. it doesn't seem that hard to live in a de facto bubble given the amenities these athletes have. so it's not far fetched to think that the titans and pats should be the ones who face the consequences for their players' actions rather than forcing the rest of the league to bend over backward to accommodate them.

It would probably help keep everybody sane if we started a list of these.  So that when my team* gets boned, I can look at the list and see that I have lots of company.

* In my case that would be the Bills of course, but each of us can use a little reassurance that our team of choice isn't being treated any differently than other teams.  Except for Tennessee who for some reason the league is bending over backwards to coddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would probably help keep everybody sane if we started a list of these.  So that when my team* gets boned, I can look at the list and see that I have lots of company.
Well, if the Bills/Titans game doesn't go off on Tuesday, the Bills will presumably be in the same boat, having had a full week of normal contact practices on what becomes a bye week at the last minute.

there are 2 teams that have not managed to stay far away enough from society to keep this train running. it doesn't seem that hard to live in a de facto bubble given the amenities these athletes have. so it's not far fetched to think that the titans and pats should be the ones who face the consequences for their players' actions rather than forcing the rest of the league to bend over backward to accommodate them.
Again, just because players test positive doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong or did anything to cause it. There are millions of people in the country that have tested positive . . . so are they all bad people that somehow broke the rules or were somehow at fault? Here are all the things that NE has done . . .

- Adhering to mask and social distance requirements (at least there have been no reports of blatantly ignoring them like the Titans did). BB at times has been wearing two masks.
- Having a ton of players opt out before the season because they were so concerned about bringing the virus home with them.
- Putting up their players in the hotel at their stadium to minimize potential exposure away from the team (that's the only place one of their players that tested positive had been since the COVID situation reared up in NE . . . he was at their practice facility and at their hotel).
- Locking down players on the floors they were assigned to when they were on the road (they couldn't even go to the lobby) and bringing them food to their rooms.
- Flying in two planes to travel to KC (putting anyone thought to have been exposed to Cam in one plane) and not staying overnight in a hotel to minimize potential spread.
- Alerting the league to the fact that there was not enough time for their players to test positive and suggesting the game with the Chiefs be postponed or things could get worse.
- Cancelling multiple in-person practices when they didn't have to in an effort to be conservative and stay safe. All they have had has been a single walkthrough since Cam tested positive . . . no regular on field practices at all.
- Kept their entire team away from each other when not practicing and only having remote game planning and team meetings.

They now have had 4 players test positive and there have not been any reports that any of them have had any symptoms, really done anything they shouldn't have, or that anyone has broken league protocols. (To be fair, maybe they did something and it hasn't come out, but the league has been investigating them for 10 days already.)

Now based on all that . . . what exactly has the team done or their players done that they "should be the ones who face the consequences for their players' actions?"

The Bills, who have had no positives and are unbeaten, have a real chance to dethrone the Pats stranglehold on the division.

However, they are currently preparing to play on Tues, or Thurs, or Sun, against either the undefeated Titans or the undefeated Chiefs. 

Fair is out the window. 

The Bills, who have had no positives and are unbeaten, have a real chance to dethrone the Pats stranglehold on the division.

However, they are currently preparing to play on Tues, or Thurs, or Sun, against either the undefeated Titans or the undefeated Chiefs. 

Fair is out the window. 
Or Monday, lol.

Fair is out the window. 
Everybody went into this knowing it would be wonky. A couple of baseball teams played like 15 doubleheaders and still made the playoffs. They’re professionals, they’ll adjust. 

What exactly did the Patriots do wrong? 

DEN/NE moved to 1pm Sunday week 6

KC/BUF moved to 5pm Monday week 6

NYJ/MIA moved from week 10 to 4pm week 6

NYJ/LAC moved from week 6 to 4pm week 11

JAX/LAC moved from week 8 to 4pm week 7

LAC/DEN moved from week 11 to 4pm week 8

LAC/MIA moved from week 7 to 4pm week 10

MIA/DEN moved from week 6 to 4pm week 11

:loco:

Michael Spencer

@MichaelCBS4

·

2h

Fangio when asked about the schedule changes: "In a weird way, I'm kinda happy to see some of this stuff happen, to see who the whiners are and who the #####ers are...I'm going to try hard that the Denver Broncos don't fall into any of those categories."

Michael Spencer

@MichaelCBS4  2h

Fangio when asked about the schedule changes: "In a weird way, I'm kinda happy to see some of this stuff happen, to see who the whiners are and who the #####ers are...I'm going to try hard that the Denver Broncos don't fall into any of those categories."
Spoke too soon, Vic.....

F L  S H

@Melvingordon25

Ain’t no way we practiced all week and they canceled our game

https://twitter.com/Melvingordon25/status/1315282193334243329

And one positive test and this is all screwed up again.. It's pointless to even try to keep a schedule. QUIT TESTING THESE PLAYERS UNLESS THEY GET SICK.

Plus the byes moved for both Miami and LA. This is stupid. 

NYJ bye moves from week 11 to week 10

LAC bye moves from week 10 to week 6

JAX bye moves from week 7 to week 8

MIA bye moves from week 11 to week 7

They signed players who are relatively careless when it comes to COVID safety protocols?
Of course, you have proof of that. I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you were sick the day they taught law at law school.
I was half-joking with my post, but I do think that Cam's flaky personality is a factor here. And I think it's fair to expect teams with higher risk factors to also go to greater lengths in terms of COVID prevention. For example, it's not unreasonable to expect the Browns to disinfect their locker room more often than other teams (due to their history of staph infections). The NFL should have high standards for every team, but they should have higher standards for certain teams with a history of irresponsible behavior.

Of course, you have proof of that. I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you were sick the day they taught law at law school.
I'm sorry - I actually didn't go to law school.  I am curious though - what class of law school did they talk about what burden of proof is required in this particular case?

yeah, came in here to see if anyone else noticed this. the pats had the positive rona tests, but it's a team that has had none that gets punished. solid policies, nfl.
Honestly, unless you're in favor of forfeits, what's your better option at this point?

I would have liked to have seen a week 18 scheduled with flex. Each team that hasn't played 16 games plays, priority to games with playoff implications (prioritize within seeds if needed), then to division games, then conference, then other. It wouldn't be perfect but maybe we wouldn't be wondering less than 2 days before a Tuesday game whether we'd see two undefeated teams, who could be playing for a bye (possibly) in the playoffs now.

But that ship has sailed.

Fair is out the window
As long as each team is treated the same for the same situation, it's fair. It might suck, but it's fair.

I'm sorry - I actually didn't go to law school.  I am curious though - what class of law school did they talk about what burden of proof is required in this particular case?
My post was a movie quote and wasn't really a serious post. However, I think it might be unwise to condemn players and teams based on flaky personalities and then making assumptions that their personality somehow make them careless when it comes to COVID.

Just a swag here, but probably preponderance of the evidence. 

Of course there isn't really a "case" here anyway.

My post was a movie quote and wasn't really a serious post. However, I think it might be unwise to condemn players and teams based on flaky personalities and then making assumptions that their personality somehow make them careless when it comes to COVID.
Agreed.  I have nothing against Cam - he's a flamboyant dresser, but I don't recall anything from his Carolina days that would lead me to think he's higher risk for COVID than anyone else.

Still, with the number of NE cases, I don't think it's outlandish to argue they aren't doing something right. I can't say what that is, being not around the team, but something isn't working.

And incredibly, the Patriots and Titans are impacted much less than a bunch of other teams.
I don't have a problem with the Patriots on this issue, but the league should absolutely hammer the Titans.  I'm hoping that they're just dotting their i's and crossing their t's before handing down suspensions, fines, and lost draft picks.  It's hard to sit here and watch this franchise treated with kid gloves while other teams get jerked around thanks to their carelessness.

Honestly, unless you're in favor of forfeits, what's your better option at this point?
it's a hard knock life, unprecedented thymes, etc... 30 other teams have managed to figure it out. everyone is playing under the same circumstances and it's 2 out of 32 teams that are upsetting the apple cart here. take the L and move on. either that or cancel the season. moving games isn't going to work much longer

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave my solution many pages ago - just play the games as scheduled, regardless of whether a team is missing players or has missed practice time.  It's the only way a season gets done without butchering the schedule like they're doing now.  It's okay at this point, but who knows where we'll be 6-8 weeks from now.

For the record, I haven't blamed any team for any of the Covid problems to date.  It's a global pandemic - this was always going to happen at some point, and it's probably going to keep happening.  If - big if - the Titans broke an established protocol, then they should be punished accordingly.  Other than that, this situation, as it has played out, was practically unavoidable.

it's a hard knock life, unprecedented thymes, etc... 30 other teams have managed to figure it out. everyone is playing under the same circumstances and it's 2 out of 32 teams that are upsetting the apple cart here. take the L and move on. either that or cancel the season. moving games isn't going to work much longer
There will be more. 

I gave my solution many pages ago - just play the games as scheduled, regardless of whether a team is missing players or has missed practice time.  It's the only way a season gets done without butchering the schedule like they're doing now.  It's okay at this point, but who knows where we'll be 6-8 weeks from now.

For the record, I haven't blamed any team for any of the Covid problems to date.  It's a global pandemic - this was always going to happen at some point, and it's probably going to keep happening.  If - big if - the Titans broke an established protocol, then they should be punished accordingly.  Other than that, this situation, as it has played out, was practically unavoidable.
I'm mostly okay with that, but given the risk of players who tested negative actually having it and giving it to the other team (mostly linemen at risk) the decision to not do that makes sense.

I'm mostly okay with that, but given the risk of players who tested negative actually having it and giving it to the other team (mostly linemen at risk) the decision to not do that makes sense.
No question.  There's no way to play an NFL season without serious risks; it's what the NFL and NFLPA decided to do.

The other logical solution would've been to extend the season and give every team multiple bye weeks to account for these things.  But it seems that ship has sailed, unless the NFL decides to push back the playoffs.  My understanding is that's a possibility - perhaps that the route they take.  Would've perhaps been smarter to have that formally announced before the season started, though.

The other logical solution would've been to extend the season and give every team multiple bye weeks to account for these things.  But it seems that ship has sailed, unless the NFL decides to push back the playoffs.  My understanding is that's a possibility - perhaps that the route they take.  Would've perhaps been smarter to have that formally announced before the season started, though.
this always made the most sense imo. it seems like hubris not adding a week or even two when the season opened for contingency purposes. nfl players should have 2 bye weeks given the physical nature anyway imo, but this was the season to do it.

Is patriots-broncos really going to be on ESPN at 1 on Sunday?  That is what red zone crawl says, but maybe the channel just hasn’t been updated 

No question.  There's no way to play an NFL season without serious risks; it's what the NFL and NFLPA decided to do.

Yep. 

It doesn't seem all that difficult to have done. Maybe don't even bother with the out of conference games an make it 12 games (I think that's right). I realize that would be a hard sell in certain markets like Pennsylvania. 

Agreed.  I have nothing against Cam - he's a flamboyant dresser, but I don't recall anything from his Carolina days that would lead me to think he's higher risk for COVID than anyone else.

Still, with the number of NE cases, I don't think it's outlandish to argue they aren't doing something right. I can't say what that is, being not around the team, but something isn't working.
I don’t know I think it’s shocking they haven’t had more cases considering how much a starting QB is in contact with the rest of the coaches and team.  Plus the fact the NFL made them play a couple of days after that test it’s a bit stunning to me it’s not a Titans situation.

Users who are viewing this thread