What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

Justin Fields announced he'll enter the 2021 NFL draft. 

Fields made the widely anticipated announcement Monday after a junior season in which he completed 70.2 percent of his throws at a clip of 9.3 yards per pass attempt in eight games. Fields posted a ridiculous 63 touchdowns and nine interceptions in his final 22 games as Ohio State's starter, leading the team to the national title game last week against Alabama. The electric Fields proved to be a nightmare for opposing defenses, averaging 39.6 rushing yards per game on 9.9 rushing attempts. Several of the first ten teams at the top of the draft -- including the Jets, Falcons, and Panthers -- could go in on Fields. 

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Jan 18, 2021, 12:14 PM ET

Ohio State junior QB Justin Fields declared for the 2021 NFL Draft.

The former five-star quarterback was one of the highest-rated dual-threat recruits of all time, and he didn't disappoint. A two-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year winner after transferring over from Georgia, Fields never lost a regular-season game at Ohio State. He has drawn ubiquitous comps to Deshaun Watson due to his touch, athleticism, creativity and clutch play. The 6-foot-3, 228-pound Fields comes with good size and a big-league arm that generates easy velocity, including on the move, where he is quite dangerous. Fields is also adept in the RPO game. He projects as a franchise quarterback. On Draft Day, Fields could hear his name called anywhere from No. 2 on. The Jets, Falcons, Eagles and Panthers are a few teams in the top-10 that will study him very closely.

SOURCE: Justin Fields on Twitter

Jan 18, 2021, 11:47 AM ET

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Excerpt:

12) Justin Fields, QB

School: Ohio State | Year: Junior

Fields has good size, excellent arm strength and remarkable athleticism for the quarterback position. He has produced monster numbers both passing and rushing in the Buckeyes' spread system. He is at his best when he throws on time and in rhythm. The ball jumps out of his hand and he can deliver it accurately at all three levels. When the defense takes that initial target away, he's had issues quickly aborting that opportunity, which has made him late on throws and also resulted in sacks. He has shown flashes of quickly getting deeper in his progressions (see: 2021 Sugar Bowl vs. Clemson), but that part of his game is still a work in progress. He's dynamic as a runner. His first step is explosive and he pulls away from defenders with ease. He's also incredibly tough, as evidenced by his performance after getting drilled in the semifinal game against the Tigers. Overall, I think Fields has a chance to be special, but it's going to take some time for him to speed up his clock in the passing game.

Ohio State QB Justin Fields "must speed up his target-to-target progression reads" in order to be successful at the next level, according to Dane Brugler of The Athletic. 

Fields (6'3/228) ranks third on Brugler's updated quarterback board, behind Clemson's Trevor Lawrence and BYU's Zach Wilson. While expected to be a Day 1 selection in this spring's draft, Fields will need to do a better job of working through his progressions at the next level. "He shows excellent tempo when the play is on schedule, but he must speed up his target-to-target progression reads and improve his urgency when the initial target is taken away," Brugler wrote. "Overall, Fields’ decision-making is more methodical than spontaneous, but he has high-ceiling traits with his athleticism, accuracy and intangibles." In Brugler's opinion, Fields projects as a future starter if he can get better in this area. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 17, 2021, 3:39 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline writes that Ohio State QB Justin Fields is "superior" to BYU QB Zach Wilson when it comes to physical stature and arm strength.

Fields (6'3/228) may have the upper hand in some physical areas, but Pauline notes that Wilson has begun to legitimately jump the OSU standout in many draft circles in part because of perceived advantages in processing speed. Wrote the analyst, "Fields is slipping due to concerns over his inability to read the field quickly." Fields remains a potential top-10 pick for April's draft, but don't be surprised if Wilson is swept off the board first -- at least assuming that these narratives hold strength up until Day 1. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Feb 24, 2021, 1:13 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected the San Francisco 49ers to select Ohio State QB Justin Fields via a trade with Detroit for the No. 7 pick.

Interestingly, for the first time in his 40+ year career Kiper Jr. included projected trades in one of his mock drafts. He projects the trade will cost the Niners significant draft capital to move up from number 12, comparing the Lions' expected haul to net SF's first and second round picks, along with another significant future pick. The renowned draftnik equated the theoretical move to the Steelers' trade-up to acquire Devin Bush in 2019. The selection of Fields would allow San Francisco to cut Jimmy Garoppolo after June 1 and save $25 million of cap space. 

SOURCE: Mel Kiper Jr. ESPN

Feb 25, 2021, 5:18 PM ET

I like this guy. Thought we were passed the rushing-QB discount, but seems to still be a thing, despite so much success in recent years from similar types. Highly mobile QBs who can throw are the new blueprint IMO. When I think of the top QBs in the game today (aside from the immortal dinosaur in Tampa), I think Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray. Is Fields another of those guys? Not sure, but he seems by far the closest of the top incoming rookie QBs to that mold.

Not planting a flag here, but it really shouldn't surprise anyone at this stage if Fields becomes the next Lamar Jackson (or for Lawrence to become a rich man's Blaine Gabbert). 

I like this guy. Thought we were passed the rushing-QB discount, but seems to still be a thing, despite so much success in recent years from similar types. Highly mobile QBs who can throw are the new blueprint IMO. When I think of the top QBs in the game today (aside from the immortal dinosaur in Tampa), I think Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray. Is Fields another of those guys? Not sure, but he seems by far the closest of the top incoming rookie QBs to that mold.

Not planting a flag here, but it really shouldn't surprise anyone at this stage if Fields becomes the next Lamar Jackson (or for Lawrence to become a rich man's Blaine Gabbert). 
Agree.  If you look at the top 6 "youngish" QB's in the league (let's say under 35 years old), they're probably universally (in no order)

Watson
Wilson
Mahomes
Jackson
Allen
Murray

Pretty big dropoff after those guys and I'm not even sure who #6 would be. 

Those guys are #1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 9 in rushing yards amongst QB's.

Watson is the only one of the 6 whose team had a losing record.

This is the way of the league now, and if Fields can establish a running game (He's fast and athletic, but wasn't really a huge run-first qb), then the sky is the limit for him.

Agree.  If you look at the top 6 "youngish" QB's in the league (let's say under 35 years old), they're probably universally (in no order)

Watson
Wilson
Mahomes
Jackson
Allen
Murray

Pretty big dropoff after those guys and I'm not even sure who #6 would be. 

Those guys are #1, 2, 4, 5, 7, and 9 in rushing yards amongst QB's.

Watson is the only one of the 6 whose team had a losing record.

This is the way of the league now, and if Fields can establish a running game (He's fast and athletic, but wasn't really a huge run-first qb), then the sky is the limit for him.
I don't think I would include Wilson as a young QB any longer.  Thirty-five is a pretty high cut-off for "youngish".  You would have to include Matthew Stafford if you are using that criteria.

Where would you rank Herbert or Burrow among the young QBs?  Dak Prescott?  I don't think I see a cliff after those six you list.

I agree with your premise, however, that we are seeing a rise in mobile QBs who can escape pressure and generate yards with their feet, and Fields fits that profile.  Zach Wilson and Mac Jones are getting a lot of hype lately, but I have Fields as my QB2 in this class.  His mobility adds tremendous potential value, and he has a big arm to go along with that.

Last season, we saw Burrow and Herbert have great success, while the more mobile Tua did not quite meet the expectations many had for him.  I wonder how much that will affect how this class is viewed.

I don't think I would include Wilson as a young QB any longer.  Thirty-five is a pretty high cut-off for "youngish".  You would have to include Matthew Stafford if you are using that criteria.

Where would you rank Herbert or Burrow among the young QBs?  Dak Prescott?  I don't think I see a cliff after those six you list.

I agree with your premise, however, that we are seeing a rise in mobile QBs who can escape pressure and generate yards with their feet, and Fields fits that profile.  Zach Wilson and Mac Jones are getting a lot of hype lately, but I have Fields as my QB2 in this class.  His mobility adds tremendous potential value, and he has a big arm to go along with that.

Last season, we saw Burrow and Herbert have great success, while the more mobile Tua did not quite meet the expectations many had for him.  I wonder how much that will affect how this class is viewed.
Ok then same exercise and say under 30, and remove Wilson. Same result.  I don't at all see Stafford in the same league as the above mentioned qbs tho and I don't think many (or any) would put him above Wilson, Watson, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, or Murrey. Would you take Stafford over any of these guys?

Same with Dak, Herbert, Burrow. Which of the above guys do you take any of these guys over? 

Ok then same exercise and say under 30, and remove Wilson. Same result.  I don't at all see Stafford in the same league as the above mentioned qbs tho and I don't think many (or any) would put him above Wilson, Watson, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, or Murrey. Would you take Stafford over any of these guys?

Same with Dak, Herbert, Burrow. Which of the above guys do you take any of these guys over? 
Stafford >> Jackson

Stafford >Murray

Dak and Burrow are returning from injury, so that hurts their values, no doubt, but I would take Herbert easily ahead of Jackson, and probably ahead of Murray, and Herbert is at least in the conversation alongside Watson.  If Burrow returns to pre-injury form, he has to be discussed among the top tier of young QBs as well.  

I am a big believer in Fields, but I would take Herbert or Burrow ahead of Fields, and it is not especially close.

Mel Kiper reveals where Buckeyes will go in NFL Draft

Excerpt:

As for Fields, Kiper vehemently defended the former Ohio State star during a recent appearance on Get Up!, saying this recent rash of negative press is something that always happens with an elite quarterback every season.

“I heard the same things about Josh Allen, I heard the same thing about Justin Herbert. It’s a scout’s job to project," Kiper said. "So scouts are critiquing Fields about what they should be doing and they’re not doing. If they’ve got to see it, then they’re not a scout that I want. They’ve gotta scout with anticipation, they’ve gotta project what a player will be.

"They didn’t do it with Josh Allen, I heard the same criticism.”

Just want to point out that this guy was the T-Rex to these two velociraptors those last two games of the season.  Those two are fun to watch and discuss, but we know who the real badass is at the end of the story. 

Stafford >> Jackson

Stafford >Murray

Dak and Burrow are returning from injury, so that hurts their values, no doubt, but I would take Herbert easily ahead of Jackson, and probably ahead of Murray, and Herbert is at least in the conversation alongside Watson.  If Burrow returns to pre-injury form, he has to be discussed among the top tier of young QBs as well.  

I am a big believer in Fields, but I would take Herbert or Burrow ahead of Fields, and it is not especially close.
Oh wow I don't see it like that at all. I think Jackson is seen as more valuable for sure, and would fetch a higher value in a trade than Herbert. I think Murray would also be more valuable than Herbert. 

I think if you want Jackson or Murray in an NFL trade, you're giving up more than what the Rams did for Stafford too. 

To folks that are OSU fans or "know" Fields:

I've recently seen articles that either critique Fields on his inability to make quick progressions --or-- point out that the OSU system either didn't ask him to do that or that their system called for WR's to make reads/adjustments on their own routes, thus delaying the play to come together.

Do any of you see Fields' read/progression speed to be an issue in his developing in the pro's, at least in the short-term?

I really don't see see the rushing-QB discount being an issue at all...if anything it has come full circle and less mobile QBs like Trask and Mac Jones are getting dinged because of a lack of athleticism...my guess is if the scouts have an issue with Fields it is because he had some bad games last year that were big games (Indiana and Northwestern) and I think there is a skepticism about the OSU system translating to the NFL as far as QBs go because none of them have hit...that being said I don't hold that against Fields because I don't think guys like Smith, Pryor, Miller, Jones or Barrett were legit prospects like Fields is and it appears Haskins is a knucklehead. 

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline writes that Ohio State QB Justin Fields would be a "no-brainer" selection for the Atlanta Falcons if he is available at the No. 4 pick.

While there has been a little bit of Fields backlash of late -- in a recent mock draft by Charley Casserly, he slipped all the way to No. 24 -- Pauline remains all-in on the signal-caller, noting that he would be a perfect selection for an Atlanta team which is turning over to a new general manager and head coach for the coming campaign. A Falcons pick of Fields would also allow something rare in this day-and-age of the NFL -- the opportunity for a rookie quarterback to learn off the bench. Unlike with so many other quarterback-needy teams, Atlanta currently has a perfectly dependable starter in Matt Ryan. Fields would not be playing immediately with the outfit barring injury.

Mar 9, 2021, 1:51 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, Pro Football Network's Matt Williamson projected the Denver Broncos to select Ohio State QB Justin Fields with the No. 9 overall selection.

The first eight picks in Williamson's mock draft are more/less par for the course, but he throws a knuckleball with the Broncos' selection. Denver currently rosters a still-developing Drew Lock and has been floated as a potential contender in the Deshaun Watson Sweepstakes should they really choose to swing for the fences. That brings us to the draft option in what could be a wild, quarterback heavy top half of Day 1 upcoming. If Denver takes a quarterback that will tell us a great deal about how they realistically view Lock's development to date.

Mar 16, 2021, 12:14 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, Pro Football Network's Dalton Miller projected the New York Jets to select Ohio State QB Justin Fields with the No. 2 overall pick.

We've seen Fields slide a little in other mock draft action of late, but Miller's holding steady with his stock, \explaining that he sees the 6-foot-3, 228-pounder's scouting demerits have been "overblown." Or put it another way, the analyst writes that "f you were to build a modern QB in a lab, they would probably look like Fields." Fields earlier this month showed off a beautiful 40-yard dash of 4.41 seconds. A top-10 or even top-5 pick could easily be within grasp come April.

Mar 22, 2021, 12:14 PM ET

Fantasy Fallout: Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Fields see values rise after 49ers, Eagles and Dolphins trade first-round picks

Excerpt:

JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE

The San Francisco 49ers are going to take a quarterback with their newly acquired No. 3 pick, and I bet it’s going to be Justin Fields. Reports suggest that Zach Wilson is locked into the Jets' No. 2 pick, making Fields the most likely target for S.F. at No. 3.

Putting a mobile and hyper-accurate quarterback like Fields in an offense designed by Kyle Shanahan is going to keep defensive coordinators lying awake at night. 

Austin Gayle @PFF_AustinGayle

giving kyle shanahan justin fields will break the league

https://twitter.com/pff_austingayle/status/1375497019096231940?s=21

I was already all over Fields in the 13th round of best ball drafts, but now that I know his likely landing spot, you better believe I will start to stack him with San Francisco 49ers pass-catchers George Kittle, Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk. 

San Fran’s move up to No. 3 also likely spells the end of Jimmy Garoppolo in the Bay Area despite what the team social media accounts are putting out. Don’t count out a reunion between Jimmy G and the New England Patriots in the next few weeks. 

With Garoppolo’s status up in the air, I’m more hesitant to be aggressive on Cam Newton, despite his fantasy outlook improving drastically after free agency. 

Ted Nguyen

@FB_FilmAnalysis

After watching a ton of Fields and Wilson, they both miss reads and need development. But there are far more examples of Fields getting through his progressions on straight dropbacks. Yet Fields is the one being labeled as a "one read QB" whatever that means.

7:18 PM · Mar 26, 2021·Twitter Web App

I don't see Fields as anything more than a career backup in the NFL. Gil Brandt is dead on with this, he's nothing more than a round 4 prospect. The ink isn't dry on  D. Haskins'  WFT contract, and he's cut. This kid is going to be another bust. 

Users who are viewing this thread