What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (2 Viewers)

Pickett just isn't good.

Playing with Russ, a good coach and good organization is about as much as he could hope for.
You don't find it a little funny that Fields failing is the organization's fault, but Pickett failing is his own?

Pittsburgh had a playoff caliber team around Pickett. They were a decent team despite the QB position, where as the bears have kind of been a dumpster fire at almost every position and coach for the last few years.

Fields may indeed be a terrible QB, however with the supporting cast and coaching around him in Chicago we do not 100% know he is terrible, there may still be a chance he can be decent.

I think PIT takes a page out of the GB playbook and they sign him to a one year extension prior to the May 2 deadline.

First off, Fields wants to be in PIT. 2nd...he knows that he's not getting a $25M option picked up in 6 weeks. But PIT will want to have at least an option to continue the relationship past 2024 and the uncertain nature of Fields situation up until 5th year option deadline makes this ripe for a middle ground.

...and at that juncture, maybe the Russell starting rhetoric softens and Tomlin leaves the door open a crack
We're making some assumptions here but I want to hear more.
Apparently Pickett did not feel like he was going to get a chance to start ahead of Wilson, what is the outlook for Fields?
NFC North is stacked, we've seen Cinci, Cleve, Balt and Pitt all lose their starting QBs for stretches of games.
I'm not saying Russ cannot go all 17 games but Lamar Jackson started 12 games in '21, 12 games in '22, Pickett 12 and 12 the last 2 seasons,
Burrow has missed half a season in 2 of his first 4 years in the NFL?
Deshaun Watson started 6 games last year for Cleveland.

What I'm saying is there is a good chance that Fields would see real game time this season or next. Russ has no guarantees for '25 that i know of.
It's an interesting place for Fields to land.
Fields wanted to be in Pittsburgh for a reason.
He wanted to go to a stable organization. One where he could develop. Chicago was neither of those.
Like how they developed Kenny Pickett?
Pickett just isn't good.

Playing with Russ, a good coach and good organization is about as much as he could hope for.
You don't find it a little funny that Fields failing is the organization's fault, but Pickett failing is his own?
I believe Pickett has as much success as he possibly could in PIT given his talent level.

I also believe Fields only scratched the surface of his talent level in Chicago.

They’re vastly different players with vastly different upside.

I think PIT takes a page out of the GB playbook and they sign him to a one year extension prior to the May 2 deadline.

First off, Fields wants to be in PIT. 2nd...he knows that he's not getting a $25M option picked up in 6 weeks. But PIT will want to have at least an option to continue the relationship past 2024 and the uncertain nature of Fields situation up until 5th year option deadline makes this ripe for a middle ground.

...and at that juncture, maybe the Russell starting rhetoric softens and Tomlin leaves the door open a crack
Apparently Pickett did not feel like he was going to get a chance to start ahead of Wilson, what is the outlook for Fields?
NFC North is stacked, we've seen Cinci, Cleve, Balt and Pitt all lose their starting QBs for stretches of games.
I'm not saying Russ cannot go all 17 games but Lamar Jackson started 12 games in '21, 12 games in '22, Pickett 12 and 12 the last 2 seasons,

What I'm saying is there is a good chance that Fields would see real game time this season or next. Russ has no guarantees for '25 that i know of.
He wanted to go to a stable organization. One where he could develop. Chicago was neither of those.
Pickett just isn't good.

I dont know the ins and outs of Pickett's time in Pitt.

However I'll say this about JF's time with Chicago...
2021 The Bears failed JF by not giving him the proper reps prior to being named starting QB. He went from QB3 to QB1 overnight.
2022 The Bears got rid of 5 pro-bowlers and put out one of the worst WR groups ever assembled. They also finished with the 32nd ranked Defense.
2023 Fields improved to 5-8. Two if not three of those L's were on coaching. The Bears also had the 31st ranked defense for the first month of the season going 0-4. It wasn't until Sweat arrived that the Defense improved.

So yes, I'm firm on my stance that the Bears never put Fields into a great situation to succeed.

Pickett just isn't good.

It's only funny if you haven't spent a lot of time watching Pickett play.

Fields at least showed off great physical tools and flashed occasionally, accounted for 54 TDs (40 passing) in 40 games and showed improvement despite having nothing around him. I mean, they traded for Claypool to improve his weapons.

Pickett did nothing well. He showed poor arm strength, poor pocket awareness, poor mobility, and little ability or progress in moving off his primary read. 17 total TDs in 24 games (13 passing) and he was as much of a problem as Canada. This was immediately after 39 year old Ben, who was a statue without ability to threaten a team downfield was still able to throw 22 TDs in 16 games under Matt Canada. Pickett was an older rookie too, supposedly more "NFL-ready" than younger guys.

Pickett made Sundays not Fundays in Pittsburgh, even the wins were like pulling teeth. All us fans knew we were in a bad spot, and had no real hopes for winning a playoff game, but we couldnt let all yinz opponents know that, cmon! IDK what the next few years are at QB, Wilson, Fields, draft pick, other FAs, but sooner or later they need to figure it out. Cant expect to win big games with a gimp at QB. And I am not sure Tomlin and staff did expect it, thats why changes were made. At least they recognized they screwed up taking Pickett and moved on PDQ.

Pickett just isn't good.

Pickett’s lack of NFL physical attributes and skill was made readily apparent, regardless of poor play calling or route trees.

I'm so snoopy happy that the Steeler's moved on from KP. JF is such a likeable dude. I truly wish the best for him.

I'm so snoopy happy that the Steeler's moved on from KP. JF is such a likeable dude. I truly wish the best for him.
Fields can be a great fantasy asset if he's on the field. Not so much as an NFL QB probably. Problem is, he has to be on the field to realize fantasy relevance.

Pickett just isn't good.

Pickett has a bad attitude, while Fields apparently is a model citizen as a football player and teammate. I'll take the later all day long.

Pickett just isn't good.

Pickett has a bad attitude, while Fields apparently is a model citizen as a football player and teammate. I'll take the later all day long.
Seems like the Bears players all loved Fields.

Pickett just isn't good.

Seems like the Bears players all loved Fields.
He does seem like a pretty chill guy

Stop being lured by all that click bait nonsense. Russ won a super bowl in a run heavy offense and is clearly QB1. If the Steelers wanted Fields > Wilson, they would have offered more than a conditional 4th/6th round pick and got their guy. Heck, if Kenny hasn't asked for a trade, Fields probably wouldn't be in Pittsburgh at all.

For now, Russ gets the car keys. Fields gets an opportunity to learn a new offense without being thrown into the fire day 1. Should learn a bit from Russ that the offense is nothing like Chicago. The QB doesn't have to strap the offense on his back and try to do too much. Feed your playmakers and flash your talents when opportunities present themselves. Don't force it.

Stop being lured by all that click bait nonsense. Russ won a super bowl in a run heavy offense and is clearly QB1
He won a super bowl 10 years ago when Seattle had a dominant defense. Fast forward 10 years and he has lost mobility and arm strength, plus seems like a really strange guy who is disliked by his teammates. He could easily be cut if he doesn't have a great camp and Fields looks good. This is not far fetched "clickbait".

Stop being lured by all that click bait nonsense. Russ won a super bowl in a run heavy offense and is clearly QB1
He won a super bowl 10 years ago when Seattle had a dominant defense. Fast forward 10 years and he has lost mobility and arm strength, plus seems like a really strange guy who is disliked by his teammates. He could easily be cut if he doesn't have a great camp and Fields looks good. This is not far fetched "clickbait".

There is a huge difference between COULD get cut if all his negatives show up and Fields is amazing, and what is being reported. It is not breaking news that a player with a $1.2MM one-year contract could be easily released if they didn't perform.

It is always a competition no matter what anyone says. Russ knows this better than anyone. Matt Flynn paid starter money back in free agency when Russ was drafted in the 3rd round. Russ came into camp and looked better than Flynn and Russ earned the starting spot. It's March. Nothing is earned in March except coach speak. Russ will have his shot, but at some point, the Steelers will want to see what Fields can do in their offense and if they want to extend Fields.

Stop being lured by all that click bait nonsense. Russ won a super bowl in a run heavy offense and is clearly QB1. If the Steelers wanted Fields > Wilson, they would have offered more than a conditional 4th/6th round pick and got their guy. Heck, if Kenny hasn't asked for a trade, Fields probably wouldn't be in Pittsburgh at all.

For now, Russ gets the car keys. Fields gets an opportunity to learn a new offense without being thrown into the fire day 1. Should learn a bit from Russ that the offense is nothing like Chicago. The QB doesn't have to strap the offense on his back and try to do too much. Feed your playmakers and flash your talents when opportunities present themselves. Don't force it.
Omar Kahn decided not to bid against himself. He knew he was moving Pickett and he also knew the Bears were not gonna hold on to Fields so he waited to make a move. He timed the market perfect.

Pickett just isn't good.

I dont know the ins and outs of Pickett's time in Pitt.

However I'll say this about JF's time with Chicago...
2021 The Bears failed JF by not giving him the proper reps prior to being named starting QB. He went from QB3 to QB1 overnight.
2022 The Bears got rid of 5 pro-bowlers and put out one of the worst WR groups ever assembled. They also finished with the 32nd ranked Defense.
2023 Fields improved to 5-8. Two if not three of those L's were on coaching. The Bears also had the 31st ranked defense for the first month of the season going 0-4. It wasn't until Sweat arrived that the Defense improved.

So yes, I'm firm on my stance that the Bears never put Fields into a great situation to succeed.
I thought they did a lot last year. It really shouldn’t take two full years to “evaluate” though. Bagent came in and ran the offense much closer to how Getsy envisioned. The problem is the combo of JF and Getsy not really gearing the offense to JF’s strengths.

Cool. I'm not trying to correct you to correct you—I was just unsure if you were using "heresy" informally and colloquially, or whether you were intending to convey that it was "hearsay," which is a statement that comes from another person that can't be substantiated. I figured that was the case. Making it even trickier is that I learned the legal definition of "hearsay," which is a term of art in evidence law that's even more situation-specific than the definition in the world outside of law.

All I know is no one is getting cut. Not Wilson. Not Fields. That defies common sense and logic.

If at some point the backup QB is unhappy and/or an opening springs up where another team wants to trade for one of them I think that's possible.....provided the Steelers have a backup QB they trust which won't be easy since I doubt they draft one remotely high and probably not at all.

I'm not sure who said it but they thought Pitt was a poor destination for Fields and I kinda disagree. We don't know (or at least I don't) all the teams that tried to get Fields besides the Eagles. The Bears are clearly betting against Wilson and hoping that they turn to Fields and/or Poles got swindled (again).

Not that I'm a Fields truther but his stats have gotten better each year. I know that stats might not tell the full picture and maybe I'm just a bad judge of talent but that's why I don't have an nfl job. :p

He's played for 3 years, it just seems..premature to give up on a guy after 3 years or maybe I'm just empathetic.

Anyways, from the Steelers POV they obviously are gonna want to play Rus this year and hope he pans out so they don't have to give up a 4th. Assuming that happens, I really don't think that sitting for a year and then possibly being the starter next year is the worst thing ever or even if the Steelers don't 5th year or resign and he gets to test FA next year.

I mean, we all knew it was spin but if Poles was really trying to do "right" by him he would have been traded to the vikings or raiders

I mean, we all knew it was spin but if Poles was really trying to do "right" by him he would have been traded to the vikings or raiders
Takes two teams to make a trade

I don't know about that, the Steelers are a FAR superior organization than the Vikings or Raiders. Hell, the Raiders have had 7 Head Coaches in the last decade. In the 12 years between Culpepper and Cousins, the Vikings had 9 different starting QBs. The Steelers are arguably the most stable franchise in the NFL and have a winnable job, with a HC that likes Fields.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Vikings sent a 4th or 5th to the Steelers to acquire him during the draft...Steelers come out ahead and the Bears weren't going to trade him to the Vikings unless it was a "no-brainer" offer...

I don't know about that, the Steelers are a FAR superior organization than the Vikings or Raiders. Hell, the Raiders have had 7 Head Coaches in the last decade. In the 12 years between Culpepper and Cousins, the Vikings had 9 different starting QBs. The Steelers are arguably the most stable franchise in the NFL and have a winnable job, with a HC that likes Fields.
to menobrown's point, in my rush to take a jab at Poles, I slightly misinterpreted the article. I had misread it as "these are the teams that wanted him AS WELL AS but Poles only traded him to the Steelers." Though the article does state that the Falcons did but @ that point they were prob still asking for something like a 1st or 2nd. I do/did feel like Fields would have had an easier time earning the starting job on a Raiders or Vikings team so that's why I said what I said. The Vikings are prob going to draft a QB so maybe they never expressed any interest? Though the article does state

It makes sense he wasn't traded there considering the Bears would then have to face Fields twice per year.

and that's just kind of ???? I think someone speculated earlier in the thread that the Bears wanted to trade Fields so there's no "QB controversy" and it's not that they don't think he sucks they just wanted to assure Williams that it's his job.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Bears general manager Ryan Poles told the media he wanted to "do right by" Justin Fields
That meant one of two things. First, it meant moving Fields as soon as possible, preferably before the start of NFL free agency on March 13. Second, it meant giving Fields the chance to pick his next spot, where it would be most beneficial for his development.

Poles, in essence, checked both of those boxes. He traded Fields three days after the start of free agency on March 16. And he traded Fields to the Steelers, one of his four preferred destinations, for a compromised return of a 2025 conditional sixth-round pick.

and I just feel like this is a sort of a contradiction,

My assumption here is that Fields would have probably wanted a starting job. And that if he actually did say that he wanted to go to the killer bees it was probably before they signed Russel as each 4 of these teams were QB needy before the signing of Russel/Cousins so I don't really think your "Steelers are a better organization!" played much into it as we don't know if the Steelers were even his preferred choice and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to go ball it out with Adams or Jefferson. The Raiders also have his former OC.

I think he's probably fine with possibly of sitting behind Russ for a year and either starting next year (assuming he doesn't this year) or hitting FA. I get that its a business so ya gotta do what ya gotta do (not the Poles even did that!) but I really feel like either releasing him and letting him do FA or trying to work out a trade with the team he could possibly start on would have been "doing right" and I just feel like the article is lying to me.

to menobrown's point, in my rush to take a jab at Poles, I slightly misinterpreted the article. I had misread it as "these are the teams that wanted him AS WELL AS but Poles only traded him to the Steelers." Though the article does state that the Falcons did but @ that point they were prob still asking for something like a 1st or 2nd. I do/did feel like Fields would have had an easier time earning the starting job on a Raiders or Vikings team so that's why I said what I said. The Vikings are prob going to draft a QB so maybe they never expressed any interest? Though the article does state

It makes sense he wasn't traded there considering the Bears would then have to face Fields twice per year.

and that's just kind of ???? I think someone speculated earlier in the thread that the Bears wanted to trade Fields so there's no "QB controversy" and it's not that they don't think he sucks they just wanted to assure Williams that it's his job.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, Bears general manager Ryan Poles told the media he wanted to "do right by" Justin Fields
That meant one of two things. First, it meant moving Fields as soon as possible, preferably before the start of NFL free agency on March 13. Second, it meant giving Fields the chance to pick his next spot, where it would be most beneficial for his development.

Poles, in essence, checked both of those boxes. He traded Fields three days after the start of free agency on March 16. And he traded Fields to the Steelers, one of his four preferred destinations, for a compromised return of a 2025 conditional sixth-round pick.

My assumption here is that Fields would have probably wanted a starting job. And that if he actually did say that he wanted to go to the killer bees it was probably before they signed Russel as each 4 of these teams were QB needy before the signing of Russel/Cousins so I don't really think your "Steelers are a better organization!" played much into it as we don't know if the Steelers were even his preferred choice and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to go ball it out with Adams or Jefferson. The Raiders also have his former OC.

I think he's probably fine with possibly of sitting behind Russ for a year and either starting next year (assuming he doesn't this year) or hitting FA. I get that its a business so ya gotta do what ya gotta do (not the Poles even did that!) but I really feel like either releasing him and letting him do FA or trying to work out a trade with the team he could possibly start on would have been "doing right" and I just feel like the article is lying to me.
you could've saved a lot of time and just typed the last 5 words.

I think its very possible (likely even) that Fields beats out Wilson for the starting job. If not week 1, then during the season. This feels very 50-50 to me, the rare actual QB competition.

I think its very possible (likely even) that Fields beats out Wilson for the starting job. If not week 1, then during the season. This feels very 50-50 to me, the rare actual QB competition.
Except big Russ will just retire if he's supposed to be Fields' back up.

Users who are viewing this thread