What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting a brand new NFL team…what young QB are you going with? Rank them! (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
Let’s say you’re limited to the following QBs…rank them for your brand new NFL team (not fantasy team)…

CJ Stroud
Jordan Love
Joe Burrow
Bryce Young
Justin Herbert
Justin Fields
Will Levis

Go!!!

I ranked Burrow behind the other three due to injuries and uncertainty. With Stroud, Herbert, and Love you know you have body integrity. With Burrow you've got an ACL, LCL, MCL and a bum calf and a now a bum wrist on the throwing arm. Don't want it if I don't have to have it.

And before anybody comes at me with the argument that people aren't injury prone, just look around in life for manual labor and look around athletic fitness rooms for injuries. There are people that just can't handle a certain load, and if they try, their bodies break down. I learned it the hard way going out for DI hockey. I could compete, but my body did not want to hang with the rigors of what it took. I think if you go around a locker room, for all the talk of luck and injuries, you'll get guys to confess (in their darker moments) that some guys are just injury-prone and it doesn't have to do with luck. It's muscular/skeletal.

I ranked Burrow behind the other three due to injuries and uncertainty. With Stroud, Herbert, and Love you know you have body integrity. With Burrow you've got an ACL, LCL, MCL and a bum calf and a now a bum wrist on the throwing arm. Don't want it if I don't have to have it.
Props to Burrow for getting his money before injuries force him into a back up role or out of the league.

Props to Burrow for getting his money before injuries force him into a back up role or out of the league.

Oh, come on now. I'm picking three guys over him that haven't seen his heights but haven't really missed time with an ACL/MCL/PCL either. I think I'm correct in being worried about all his injuries if you're asking me to start a franchise.

What I've seen of Burrow is that he's an excellent quarterback, but not elite. That's my opinion of him. I just think the other three guys might be better in the long run.

Year each one of these guys was born:

Stroud: 2001
Herbert: 1998

Burrow: 1996
Love: 1998

Fields: 1999
Levis: 1999
Young: 2001
Burrow is 2-5 years older than everyone else on the list. Burrow is a year older than Lamar, for crying out loud. Two years older than Hurts. Taking Burrow and his 1 good knee, and his gimpy wrist over Stroud +5 years is not sound risk management.
I also wouldn't argue swapping Love and Herbert.
I keep Burrow over him for sample size. Love has a good year next year, that might be an easy switch.

Last edited:
Burrow is a year older than Lamar, for crying out loud. Two years older than Lamar

Wait, what?

I will admit to not knowing that. What a blind spot. Lamar is a blind spot for me, and not because of conventional narratives. He's just so unorthodox in every way I don't know how to deal with it, which is probably the way he wants it.

It's weird. One studies the sport so much and misses something so obvious because one is so worried about running back and wide receiver ages for fantasy. But that little nugget never came up. Stunning.

How come the starting Pro Bow QB that led the league in passing and was just drafted in 2020, still on his Rookie deal...

Where's Tua Tags on this list?

Sorry, two years older than Hurts, I meant.

Oh, okay. My ignorance still stands, though. I just figured Lamar was before Burrow, therefore they're at least similar in age . . . and that's a bad assumption on my end.

Burrow and Lamar are both 27. That makes more sense.

Let’s say you’re limited to the following QBs…rank them for your brand new NFL team (not fantasy team)…

CJ Stroud
Jordan Love
Joe Burrow
Bryce Young
Justin Herbert
Justin Fields
Will Levis

Go!!!

1. Stroud
2. Burrow
3. Love
4. Herbert
5. Tie, Fields, Levis, Young

IMO, the age cutoff should probably be 25 (or what would be considered a player's age 25 season) . .

25: Hurts, Love, Herbert, Tua
24: Purdy, Lawrence, Fields, Levis
22: Stroud, Richardson, Young

Doesn’t get much credit does he?

How long was it like that for Brady?

Purdy is extraordinarily difficult to assess among those guys.

I'm going to look at how Stroud plays in Baltimore before fully assessing that.

My thought is that Stroud is going to look a hundred times better than Purdy did.

Hey, Purdy might be awesome. But a bunch of QBs have looked good there. Heck, the Bengals put up numbers with some stiff after Burrow went down.

Stroud went out, and it was like everyone in Houston forgot how to play football.

But a bunch of QBs have looked good there

JImmy G was one Emmanuel Sanders deep ball away from winning the SB there. That's why nobody is rushing to judgment on Purdy. Don't care how many big-time throws PFF says he made, the proof will be in the pudding eventually.

I'm not even saying Purdy is necessarily the guy I'd pick out of the list to build a franchise around. But he 100% belongs in the list, it's an astonishing oversight to have this discussion without him in it. I'm assuming he'll need to win a Super Bowl to begin getting the recognition he's earned - and even then he'll be dismissed as a product of the team around him - but he's better (and younger) than at least half the people in the OP.

I'm not even saying Purdy is necessarily the guy I'd pick out of the list to build a franchise around. But he 100% belongs in the list, it's an astonishing oversight to have this discussion without him in it. I'm assuming he'll need to win a Super Bowl to begin getting the recognition he's earned - and even then he'll be dismissed as a product of the team around him - but he's better (and younger) than at least half the people in the OP.
From the OP:

Let’s say you’re limited to the following QBs....

1) Stroud - stats + winning
2) Burrow - No idea why he is on this list, but he is a winner. My franchise loves winners
3) Herbert - A+ talent. Needs a bit of help to start winning more.
4) Love - Show me again, and he will move up the list. I cannot unsee some of those early performances.
5) Young - I think he takes a major step forward next year. Needs a true #1 receiver.
6) Fields - Really dislike him as my franchise QB. My QB has to at least pretend that he can throw a football.
7) Levis - Not much to like here.

1. Stroud - because I saw 2023 happen
2. Herbert - uber talented, humongous arm, needs coaching/system consistency
3. Burrow - ultra talented but injuries starting to take a toll, and a little older than the two above
4. Love - I like what I see but it's been good for only half a year so far
5. Fields - on the right team and continuing to develop the passing he could be franchise guy
6. Levis - I feel like he's going to be the new Cutler or Jameis. Cannon arm, gunslinger type, but not sold he's a franchise QB yet
7. Young - his ceiling to me is half of Russell Wilson, just a bit too small for today's NFL

Interesting that Lawrence isn't included in this. I'd probably have him above Love, but not certain on that

1) Stroud
2) Herbert
3) Love
4) Burrow
5) Fields
6) Levis
7) Young

There. Easy peasy
I think I take this list but I swap Love and Burrow. I agree with you that Burrow seems injury prone but also people called Matt Stafford brittle after he went to IR his first two seasons with broken collarbones and he's turned out to be a near Favre like ironman since. Love is ascending but his body of work isn't quite there yet but it is indeed a conversation.

I am not sure why Levis and Young are on here. They both look clueless out there. I won't totally write off any rookie but I saw nothing from them to give me any optimism yet alone to take them over Justin Herbert lol.

Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
CJ Stroud
Jordan Love
Bryce Young
Justin Fields
Will Levis

Not a knock on Stroud, but he's getting deductions for only one year. Brady and Manning would have been in the bottom half of the list after year one. Funny we were tossing Love on the scrap heap mid season.

Joe Burrow
Justin Herbert
CJ Stroud
Jordan Love
Bryce Young
Justin Fields
Will Levis

Not a knock on Stroud, but he's getting deductions for only one year. Brady and Manning would have been in the bottom half of the list after year one. Funny we were tossing Love on the scrap heap mid season.
Brady and Manning didnt look as good year one as Stroud did. IMHO

I think Jordan Love is maybe getting too much credit. Matt LaFleur is a phenomenal play caller, and I wonder how successful Love would be without him. I think people have forgotten how Aaron Rodgers went from great, but starting to slow down, to back-to-back MVPs the instant LaFleur showed up. I like Love, but I can't see any case for him higher than 4th at the moment.

I will add, I think Will Levis was better than he gets credit for. He played pretty solid for a rookie on a team with a bad OL, bad OC, and 1 good pass catcher. I'm not saying he's gonna be some star or anything, but I think he showed some ability.

Its probably not fair to include Burrow on the list. I personally would have him #1, and I have no concerns about his durability. He had 2 fluky season-ending injuries. Could have happened to anybody. He's a top-3 NFL QB in my opinion.

Its probably not fair to include Burrow on the list. I personally would have him #1, and I have no concerns about his durability. He had 2 fluky season-ending injuries. Could have happened to anybody. He's a top-3 NFL QB in my opinion.

Yeah, but what have you done for me lately?

I'm kidding. I took all that into account when ranking him fourth, which is probably too low. But considering his competition (historical and record-breaking upside/performance in Stroud), otherworldly physical talent (some of the throws Herbert makes leave his receivers in visible disbelief, pointing back at their quarterback—something I've never seen receivers do), and just deft assassin coolness (I was NOT out on Love midseason and was surprised he looked so bad after looking so good at first), Burrow has stiff competition to deal with.

Perhaps 80s is right and Love and Burrow should be switched. It was the injuries, which I don't think are fluky, but that's why everybody has opinions.

Yeah, Burrow should not be on this list due to age. If he is then Lamar needs to be on.

I get Stroud being No.1 but it’s so tight for me between him and Herbert. Not saying it will happen, but sophomore slumps are real when there’s a whole season of tape down. I think at this precise moment I take Herbert pending the rest of the playoffs and first half of next season which would or could change my mind

but sophomore slumps are real when there’s a whole season of tape down

This is a really good point. Waldman insists that you need to have played a decent amount of games before defenses start to feel comfortable adjusting to the QB. The adjustments don't happen overnight. I forget the number of games he uses, but it's somewhere in the 12-20 range.

This is a really good point. Waldman insists that you need to have played a decent amount of games before defenses start to feel comfortable adjusting to the QB. The adjustments don't happen overnight. I forget the number of games he uses, but it's somewhere in the 12-20 range.
Stroud had a historic season worthy of MVP consideration. It's interesting to look at his all time rookie peers...

Luck
Herbert
Stroud
Newton
Winston
Mac Jones
Wentz
Manning
Mayfield
Murray
Prescott (just because)

The first half of the season no one cared about Houston. I'm sure teams cut corners prepping, diverting some resources to other teams. Just about the time you start taking Houston seriously Stroud misses two games so now he's not even on recent tape. Next year

Stroud had a historic season worthy of MVP consideration. It's interesting to look at his all time rookie peers...

Luck
Herbert
Stroud
Newton
Winston
Mac Jones
Wentz
Manning
Mayfield
Murray
Prescott (just because)

The first half of the season no one cared about Houston. I'm sure teams cut corners prepping, diverting some resources to other teams. Just about the time you start taking Houston seriously Stroud misses two games so now he's not even on recent tape. Next year
The only QBs of the last 20 years that had better rookie seasons than Stroud in my opinion are Russell Wilson and Ben Roethlisberger. That's some great company to keep if he ends up anywhere near those guys.

Users who are viewing this thread