What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill (2 Viewers)

I really just want to post this song. I think it qualifies for Velvet. The first part does for sure and Velvet plays a lot of Florence and the Machine and I think the second part is kind of in her vein. 

Serious contender for best song of 2020. Wouldn't actually be played on Velvet but this is our version. 

44.14 - King Princess - Ohio - Velvet
This is nice.  Never heard it before.

ETA:  strays from velvet to velour territory at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really just want to post this song. I think it qualifies for Velvet. The first part does for sure and Velvet plays a lot of Florence and the Machine and I think the second part is kind of in her vein. 

Serious contender for best song of 2020. Wouldn't actually be played on Velvet but this is our version. 

44.14 - King Princess - Ohio - Velvet
This is nice.  Never heard it before.

ETA:  strays from velvet to velour territory at the end.
I'll concede it's only part velvet but what a song imo

Round 44

Classic Rewind

Not sure how much national airplay they got but this hometown band was huge in Detroit in the early 80's. I recently went looking for a copy of their live album and it's out of print and going for $100+ so someone else must really like them.

The Rockets-Takin' it Back
Saw them live at Headliners in Madison circa 79-80.  I remember my college roommate (a Detroiter) had this album.

Probably haven't thought of them since til now.

SiriusXM does a bunch of "limited-run" channels for like one week only. They did Beastie Boys recently and are doing Bon Jovi now. 

Could somehow use this as a wrinkle to throw in at some point if the plan is to keep this going through the upcoming locked down months. Clearly I haven't mapped out any reasonable end game to this thing and people keep on drafting. 

:shrug:
A Bon Jovi station would be worse than Covid.

rockaction said:
So they gave you freakin' Advil. Great. Stick up for yourself for sure, simey (they should know better than to do that with such a serious dental condition). I hope you feel better. 
I called their office yesterday morning, and they were closed. They close every other Friday. I called the emergency number, which is the Drs #. I left a message on his phone, and he called me back. I told him the naproxen wasn't touching the pain, and so he called me in 12 hydrocodone-acetamin 5-325.  He is a nerd about how many pills he writes a script for.  Anyway, he told me to let him know if those help. I had about 2 hours of little pain, and then it hit full force again, and those pills did nothing. I texted him and told him. I asked him how long before the pain is supposed to taper down, and he said it should over the first 48 hours. Last night it hurt for a long time during spurts, and early this morning. Right now the pain has calmed down. Hopefully it will start to fade out more and more. My face is still swollen, but has finally gone down a notch. 

Round 45: 

Yacht Rock channel

Far East Man -- George Harrison

Wait, that can't be right. The Beatles and their members made snappy pop music that was sometimes experimental. They never made yacht rock, did they?

Well, I submit this song.

Sax? Check -- and bonus points for soprano sax, and more bonus points for teasing the riff of Junior Walker's What Does It Take to Win Your Love

Electric piano? Check

Laid back vibe? Check

Layered production? Check

Released in the '70s or very early '80s? Check

Not disco? Check

I think that's a pretty good case. And we need something to offset having Richard Marx in the playlist. 😉

This song was co-written with Ron Wood, of all people, and he released a version of his own. In Krista's solo Beatles thread I called George's version "Steely Dan on quaaludes" and Wood's version "Steely Dan on quaaludes if Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is turned up in the mix." 

Round 45: 

Yacht Rock channel

Far East Man -- George Harrison

Wait, that can't be right. The Beatles and their members made snappy pop music that was sometimes experimental. They never made yacht rock, did they?

Well, I submit this song.

Sax? Check -- and bonus points for soprano sax, and more bonus points for teasing the riff of Junior Walker's What Does It Take to Win Your Love

Electric piano? Check

Laid back vibe? Check

Layered production? Check

Released in the '70s or very early '80s? Check

Not disco? Check

I think that's a pretty good case. And we need something to offset having Richard Marx in the playlist. 😉

This song was co-written with Ron Wood, of all people, and he released a version of his own. In Krista's solo Beatles thread I called George's version "Steely Dan on quaaludes" and Wood's version "Steely Dan on quaaludes if Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is turned up in the mix." 
Though I picture a speakeasy on this one, I think a yacht would work, too.  As a reminder, Paul and Wings recorded most of an entire album on an actual yacht, so some of those should qualify, right?  :lol:

This was my 66th favorite George song (at the time); it's marred a bit by the laryngitis that permeated Dark Ho(a)rse.

Ronnie Wood and George wrote and recorded two versions of this song, the first of which was released on Wood’s solo album, I’ve Got My Own Album To Do, followed a few months later by this version.  The two also collaborated socially at the time, with Pattie Boyd having an affair with Wood, and George returning the favor by sleeping with Wood’s wife.  They each took their lovers on separate vacations, during which Wood even publicly announced that he was having an affair with Boyd.  Surely it was a different era. 

The song was inspired by George’s seeing Wood in a shirt commemorating the Faces’s Far East tour.  The two then wrote the main melody together, with George later adding the lyrics and the middle eight.  The lyrics relate a spiritual discussion of the value of friendship, going the extra mile, stuff like that.  Some have interpreted them as being an ode to Ravi Shankar, but George never confirmed this. 

The version on Wood’s record was recorded first, and features a prominent George backing vocal and more slide guitar.  By the time of George’s recording, his voice had deteriorated greatly, which I suspect is why it’s so low in the mix.  The slide guitar is used less, which gives me a sad, but has a nice counter-groove with the saxophone.  George frankly sounds pretty bad on this, but I still love this song for its gentle but soulful groove.  Sounds like something you’d listen to late-night at a speakeasy.  A lot of that feel comes from Andy Newmark and Willie Weeks playing on this version, which I think elevates George’s version past Wood’s even with the rough vocal.  I’m also amused by the beginning of this version where George is talking directly to Frank Sinatra to plead with him to perform this song on his next live album.  He didn’t.

Ronnie Wood and George wrote and recorded two versions of this song, the first of which was released on Wood’s solo album, I’ve Got My Own Album To Do, followed a few months later by this version.
That just sewed that album up as a non-listen. Any album entitled I've Got My Own Album To Do sounds like an immediate loss in creativity from the start. I don't know why, something rubs me that way -- but it does rub me as a serious never waste your time thing. 

That just sewed that album up as a non-listen. Any album entitled I've Got My Own Album To Do sounds like an immediate loss in creativity from the start. I don't know why, something rubs me that way -- but it does rub me as a serious never waste your time thing. 
It’s not a good album at all - too much Ronnie is not a good thing - but I think the title is more playing on the fact that he was “Rod Stewart’s guitar player” and the “new Stone” for his career thus far, and this was his gig.

He also had some terrible albums with better names. The only “solo” Wood album that’s worth listening to is the live the one he did with Bo Diddley - and guess which guys songs are the highlights?

It’s not a good album at all - too much Ronnie is not a good thing - but I think the title is more playing on the fact that he was “Rod Stewart’s guitar player” and the “new Stone” for his career thus far, and this was his gig.
Oh yeah, that's what he sounds like he was going for, no doubt. Mission accomplished. Even if it's self-deprecating, it sounds like it hunts way too close to the truth about its self-importance, I guess.

Just a non-starter for me. 

I going to take a wild guess and say it's Diddley's songs that highlight his live one with Diddley. Second Banana Anna, that's probably Ronnie Wood, much to his chagrin. But a hell of a guitar player.

He also had some terrible albums with better names. The only “solo” Wood album that’s worth listening to is the live the one he did with Bo Diddley - and guess which guys songs are the highlights?
The New Barbarians' live recordings makes you wonder what all the fuss was about at the time.  The audience would have to be as high as Keith to enjoy them.

The New Barbarians' live recordings makes you wonder what all the fuss was about at the time.  The audience would have to be as high as Keith to enjoy them.
I saw Keith solo in the late 80s. It was his birthday. He was so drunk he’d turn to sing and the Mike stand would be on the other side. His band was really good though (Steve Jordan, Waddy Wachtel) and Keith sounded as good as he’s capable on most songs.

Agree on the New Barbarians.

I saw Keith solo in the late 80s. It was his birthday. He was so drunk he’d turn to sing and the Mike stand would be on the other side. His band was really good though (Steve Jones, Waddy Wachtel) and Keith sounded as good as he’s capable on most songs.

Agree on the New Barbarians.
The X-pensive Winos records have their moments

I have randomly been listening to some of the playlists and liking the new to me songs that have struck a chord

-King of Hollywood by The Eagles- very smooth and cool, not at all what I think of the Eagles sounding like. Maybe I am just unfamiliar with this stage of their career?

- Doot Doot by Freur- no clue what this is but it's fantastic, so much more 80s for me to learn about 

- Freelance Fiend by Leaf Hound- I guess it's kind of a LZ rip off but this song rulez

- Alone in the Garden by Dentist-  not sure what it is, but I have listened to this song a lot recently 

Users who are viewing this thread