What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill (5 Viewers)

I'll listen to the Pearl Jam list over the weekend.  They've never done anything for me as a band.

I vaguely remember listening to somebody's all-PJ mix in some long-ago draft with an alphabetical-based format.  It didn't make me into a convert.

By the way, on this song, if I didn't know it was a Beatles song, I'd think it's one of my favorite Tom Petty songs.  I think it fits his vocal style so beautifully.  Definitely one of the best covers of a Beatles song of all time.
When I saw him perform it as The Concert for George it made me like the song even more - completely agree it could have been a Petty song.

Soily was my pick for the playlist.  I suspect Pip might have chosen Letting Go.
I had Letting Go in my 1975 countdown but I don't remember if I picked it for here. 

ETA: Subsequently I see it hasn't actually been picked yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pip, did you vote in XPN's Top 2020 Songs Of All Time thing? They start airing the countdown this Thursday.
I did not. Maybe next year (they do it every year). My car time is way down since I WFH right now, so I'm not keeping up too much with what they're doing at the moment. 

IMO their coolest countdown was the '70s A to Z thing they did a couple of years ago. 

I did not. Maybe next year (they do it every year). My car time is way down since I WFH right now, so I'm not keeping up too much with what they're doing at the moment. 

IMO their coolest countdown was the '70s A to Z thing they did a couple of years ago. 
I've only been listening for the last year or so - stream them at home - but really like the channel. I submitted my 10 entries, but only remember 2 or 3 of them now  :lol:

I've only been listening for the last year or so - stream them at home - but really like the channel. I submitted my 10 entries, but only remember 2 or 3 of them now  :lol:
I should probably do that as well, but I don't work well if I have music on -- I just wanna focus on that. 

Oh yeah, PJ got about 3x better after they got Matt Cameron.  :mancrush: 
Their drumming got better. Their songs and the rest of their sound didn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made them a better live band, but I've only seen them since he joined, so I don't know much about what they were like in concert before that. 

There were kids in school when I was growing up who INSISTED this was performed by the Bee Gees. I would correct them -- because I saw the proper credit on a K-Tel ad 😄 -- but they wouldn't believe me. 
😃  Her voice does blend well with Barry's, but she is the lead.  The Bee Gees did their own version, but that wasn't until 1994.

I'll listen to the Pearl Jam list over the weekend.  They've never done anything for me as a band.

I vaguely remember listening to somebody's all-PJ mix in some long-ago draft with an alphabetical-based format.  It didn't make me into a convert.
There are definitely some untypical things in this PJ playlist, so we’ll see if that makes a difference.

Their drumming got better. Their songs and the rest of their sound didn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made them a better live band, but I've only seen them since he joined, so I don't know much about what they were like in concert before that. 
Good points and that is probably what I was trying to say last night.   When I listen to PJ it's probably about 80% live.  

Always been one of my favorite drummers.  

Thanks, I think I meant to take a Beatles song and just couldn't decide so I just forgot to make it.

The Beatles Channel

24.xx  Revolution 1 - The Beatles

*fixed the spreadsheet
@KarmaPolice This one needs to be added to the Beatles playlist. It's the acoustic version from the White Album. 

ETA: The rest of it is up to date. They haven't been rolled since 49/50. 

Bummed I missed out last night. Went to bed early and woke up late. Got some rest. Some great song picks along the way, IIRC. My head was nodding this morning in agreement to quite a few of them.

Round 67.xx

Category: Y2K Hits

Song: Crazy

Artist: Gnarls Barkley

I was alluding to it earlier in the draft that if I had to take another Y2K song it might be the song that Rolling Stone called the best of the decade. It deserves to be here. What an unusual pairing and unusual song.

"In this frazzled and fragmented decade, when the Top 40 broke down into squabbling niches, the idea of a universal pop hit, a song anybody could love, seemed like a sweet old-fashioned notion. Then these guys showed up. Atlanta rapper Cee-Lo and indie producer Danger Mouse decided it would be a gas to pretend to be the world's greatest pop group, and so they gave the world "Crazy." Everybody loved this song, from your mom to your ex-girlfriend's art professor. It blasted in punk clubs and Burger King bathrooms. Every sucky band on earth tried a lame cover. For the summer of 2006, "Crazy" united us all into one nation under a groove. Gnarls Barkley packed a career's worth of genius ideas into three minutes — and then they basically disappeared. Does that make them crazy? Probably. But was this the most glorious pop thrill of our time? Totally." - Rolling Stone

Users who are viewing this thread