What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do Not Concede "Under Any Circumstances"... (1 Viewer)

Had you heard this?

• Yes

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 54.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
The 2020 Election strategy from...

From August, Hillary Clinton to Joe Biden. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/hillary-clinton-says-biden-should-not-concede-2020-election-under-n1238156

WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton said in a new interview that Joe Biden should not concede the 2020 presidential election “under any circumstances," anticipating issues that could prolong knowing the final outcome.

“Joe Biden should not concede under any circumstances, because I think this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don't give an inch, and if we are as focused and relentless as the other side is,” Clinton said in an interview with her former communications director Jennifer Palmieri for Showtime's “The Circus,” which released a clip Tuesday.
Was talking to some people this morning about Georgia Senate and topic of President Trump's handling of post election came up. One guy said it's what Biden was advised to do. I said, "I've never heard that". He said look it up. 

I honestly had never heard that before. 

Had you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillary Clinton to Joe Biden. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/hillary-clinton-says-biden-should-not-concede-2020-election-under-n1238156

Was talking to some people this morning about Georgia Senate and topic of President Trump's handling of post election came up. One guy said it's what Biden was advised to do. I said, "I've never heard that". He said look it up. 

Had you?
Nope..That's new.   Interesting

Hillary speaks for Biden? 
:confused:  Is anyone saying that?

I think my post was pretty clear. 

WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton said in a new interview that Joe Biden should not concede the 2020 presidential election “under any circumstances," anticipating issues that could prolong knowing the final outcome.

“Joe Biden should not concede under any circumstances, because I think this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don't give an inch, and if we are as focused and relentless as the other side is,” Clinton said in an interview with her former communications director Jennifer Palmieri for Showtime's “The Circus,” which released a clip Tuesday.
And then I asked if people had heard that. I had not. 

I believe she was referring to Biden conceding on election night if Trump had an electoral college lead at that time.

Thanks. I'd expect this would have been a popular topic among Trump voters, right?
Yeah, I'm not sure the pro Trump knew what to make of it at the time as we were a confident bunch. I'm curious how many people supported that statement in Aug that have flipped on it since. 

It is hard for me to imagine Biden putting forth the argument the American election was stolen from him to the level that Trump has .  He would have conceded rather quickly I think.

Hillary Clinton to Joe Biden. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/hillary-clinton-says-biden-should-not-concede-2020-election-under-n1238156

Had you?
I'd never heard this before.  That said, I don't see how it's relevant.  Hillary is old news.

I hadn't heard it before.

After watching the clip, I think it's pretty clear that she meant not to concede on election night, which explains why I wouldn't have heard it: it wouldn't have been newsworthy. Nobody concedes before the election is called by the AP. Based on polls, the 2020 election could have possibly been called for Biden on election night, but there was basically no way it was going to be called for Trump. And Trump's strategy, known to us ahead of time, was to claim victory on election night if he had a slight lead, even without it being called for him. (As it turns out, he never had a slight lead.) It'd be crazy for Biden to concede under those circumstances.

Oh...and I'd heard it....had heard it from a Qanon guy who today insists it was because she knew something that was going to go down on election day, but it didn't so now they've moved the day to Dec 14....I suspect it will then be shifted to 1/20....rinse and repeat.

I hadn't heard it but I'd note that she said it back in August, so context is important.  Essentially, she was saying that because Republicans were likely to attack absentee voting, that no early concessions should be made until democratic claims regarding voter suppression were heard.  Inferring that Hillary is saying that Biden should do exactly what Trump is doing now (i.e. fighting a lost cause without evidence or substance) is incorrect.  And even so, who cares what she has to say? 

It is hard for me to imagine Biden putting forth the argument the American election was stolen from him to the level that Trump has .  He would have conceded rather quickly I think.
Based on everything both men have said and done to this point, I would have to agree.

It's one of those things that might sound "shocking" or unpatriotic or outside "norms" but imo, it should drive conversation to what is relevant and what is irrelevant. 

The concession speech may be traditional but I don't believe it really has anything to do with determining a winner. News networks "calling" a state fall into a similar category. 

Side note: if this thread really is the first you're hearing this, you may want to re-evaluate your news sources.

WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton said in a new interview that Joe Biden should not concede the 2020 presidential election “under any circumstances," anticipating issues that could prolong knowing the final outcome.

Had you?
Hi Joe,

I understand that you are quoting directly from the linked article, but it would be helpful if you mentioned that the article is from August. It would also be helpful for contextual purposes if you noted that Hillary said, immediately prior to the bolded quote, "on Election Day". Those 3 words change the meaning of the phrase "should not concede," in my humble opinion.

I hadn't heard this, but it makes sense.  Everyone knew several months ago that GOP controlled state legislatures (including Wisconsin and PA) would not allow absentee ballots to be counted prior to election day.  We also knew the number of absentee/early/mail votes was going to be much higher than ever before, and there was reason to expect these categories of ballots to favor Biden.  Therefore, it was completely expected that the late count would strongly favor Biden, and that early Trump leads could be overtaken.  I don't necessarily agree with the "under any circumstances" part.  If a MAGA landslide were evident in the late hours of 11/3, putting the election out of reach under any reasonable circumstances, he should concede. 

Hi Joe,

I understand that you are quoting directly from the linked article, but it would be helpful if you mentioned that the article is from August. It would also be helpful for contextual purposes if you noted that Hillary said, immediately prior to the bolded quote, "on Election Day". Those 3 words change the meaning of the phrase "should not concede," in my humble opinion.
"on election day" was from a different part than "Joe Biden should not concede under any circumstance"

If you watch the clip it's clearer. LINK She stated they will have "an electoral college advantage on election day".

Hi Joe,

It'd be nice if we could see the full interview. I wonder if the editing in the abbreviated clip didn't remove some useful context.

Maybe a better link. Not the full interview but the full clip that led to that statement LINK
Still would like the full interview. That starts after she's already begun a thought. The overall context is important. I highly doubt she's suggesting that Biden not concede if the vote counting was completed and indicated he'd lost by a non-trivial margin.

Hi Joe,

Hi @Sea Duck 

The date is on most all the clips. She didn't say "election day" immediately prior. That was pretty clearly a cut in the video. Here's the full video. https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1298023931790712832?s=20

Had you?

Nope..That's new.   Interesting

I'd never heard this before.  

I hadn't heard it before.

heard it from a Qanon guy 

I hadn't heard it  

This is surprising to me.

Hi Joe,

Hi @Sea Duck 

The date is on most all the clips. She didn't say "election day" immediately prior. That was pretty clearly a cut in the video. Here's the full video. https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1298023931790712832?s=20
I know now that the date was mentioned on the clip. It's just helpful to have that info before requiring someone to click on a link, especially when the quoted excerpt starts off with the phrase "a new interview". For people who read posts before clicking links (as I do), it could give them the impression that the interview is from December.

I know now that the date was mentioned on the clip. It's just helpful to have that info before requiring someone to click on a link, especially when the quoted exerpt starts off with the phrase "a new interview". For people who read posts before clicking links (as I do), it could give them the impression that the interview is from December.
Thanks. I thought everyone would understand as she's clearly talking about the upcoming election. But you're right. Always best to err on the side of being more clear. 

I think this is likely showing our "news inputs". I'm guessing this was a popular topic on the conservative shows and platforms?
I think a lot of people just were tired of the whole thing and not watching a ton of election coverage in general. I know I fell into that camp. The candidates were both total knowns as well.

Hi @Sea Duck 

Without the full audio it’s tough to figure out exactly what the context was. I’m guessing the way each person sees it is probably largely dependent on where they are politically.

Personally, I can’t stand Hillary or the Clintons, but I do think she was most likely meaning that there could be a fight over the absentee/mail in ballots and that Biden should fight to make sure they are all counted rather than just allow Trump to claim victory based off of in person voting. That’s actually largely panned out as Trump’s entire argument seems to be that he was winning before mail in ballots were counted and then losing after they were counted and that doesn’t seem fair.

The difference is that the margins really weren’t that close in the states that mattered. If they were a lot closer, I think that these court cases would be a lot uglier than they already are. Getting 12,000-80,000 votes tossed out is completely different than trying to makeup a few hundred votes.

I think a lot of people just were tired of the whole thing and not watching a ton of election coverage in general. I know I fell into that camp. The candidates were both total knowns as well.

Without the full audio it’s tough to figure out exactly what the context was. I’m guessing the way each person sees it is probably largely dependent on where they are politically.

Personally, I can’t stand Hillary or the Clintons, but I do think she was most likely meaning that there could be a fight over the absentee/mail in ballots and that Biden should fight to make sure they are all counted rather than just allow Trump to claim victory based off of in person voting. That’s actually largely panned out as Trump’s entire argument seems to be that he was winning before mail in ballots were counted and then losing after they were counted and that doesn’t seem fair.

The difference is that the margins really weren’t that close in the states that mattered. If they were a lot closer, I think that these court cases would be a lot uglier than they already are. Getting 12,000-80,000 votes tossed out is completely different than trying to makeup a few hundred votes.
That's what I got out of the clip.

I also think more context or the full interview is needed.Considering how she conceded, it’s surprising she would say Biden should never ever concede.

This is surprising to me.
Speaking strictly for myself, I don't particularly care what Hillary has to say.  I didn't vote for her, and while I don't hold any specific ill will toward her, I'm okay if I never hear from her again.  It may be surprising to you, but it's not surprising to me that I would gloss right over an interview, article, etc., featuring Hillary Clinton.  Just isn't something of interest to me.

This is a better view without the editing and cutting. https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1298023931790712832?s=20
Seems pretty clear to me that she is saying Trump is trying to muck up mail in voting so that he can claim victory on election night, and Biden needs to do everything he can to make sure mail-in votes are counted.  I'm not going to get outraged over Biden hypothetically not conceding when Trump is actually refusing to concede.

Guessing many that are dismissing the comments because it's Hillary would be on the attack if a former Republican politician told Trump not to concede under any circumstance.  They'd probably say it proves the right would fix the election if it wasn't clearly won on election night.  Always entertain to watch people spin things though

Guessing many that are dismissing the comments because it's Hillary would be on the attack if a former Republican politician told Trump not to concede under any circumstance.  They'd probably say it proves the right would fix the election if it wasn't clearly won on election night.  Always entertain to watch people spin things though
There is a big difference in not conceding until the votes are counted and not conceding because the votes are counted.

There was plenty of (totally justified) negative attention and criticism before the election when President Trump refused to agree to a peaceful transfer of power. I can imagine it might have been even more interesting if a Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio gave an interview in August and said his advice to Trump was "Do not concede under any circumstances". 

There was plenty of (totally justified) negative attention and criticism before the election when President Trump refused to agree to a peaceful transfer of power. I can imagine it might have been even more interesting if a Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio gave an interview in August and said his advice to Trump was "Do not concede under any circumstances". 
Rubio might have caused a blip on the radar because he's still an active voice in the party and may even think that he has a potential path to the presidency at some point in the future. Jeb Bush is probably a better comparison. As I remember it, there was a lot of actual news going on in August so the opinions of those in the Bush/Clinton family weren't even on my radar.

In general if people are getting their news from sources that were fixated on what Jeb/Hillary were saying about the election it probably speaks volumes about the news sources that they choose to consume. I couldn't care any less about either and consider both families to be nothing more than a dog whistle for those consumers with particular political leanings. 

Considering what's happened in the past four years it's completely unfathomable to me that anyone genuinely gets worked up over trump conceding. One side is using it as a money making grift and the other side is using it as a sanctimonious, "SEE, he's a JERK just like we said all along!" to help him do it. It's the worst of click-bait media on both sides. People supporting that type of media is part of the problem imo. These are serious times with serious problems. Let's focus on the fundraising scams after we get the economy and health crisis sorted out.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
She did say it and it doesn't surprise me nor do I think it's bad advice.  The chances of this election being very close were very high and every political mover (particularly Democratic ones) remembers when Gore had to retract his concession to W.  

And, let's face it, until the mandatory electoral college meeting there really isn't a huge impetus to concede.  

So she is saying it is going to drag out and they need a legal team and that Biden shouldn't concede under any circumstances and that just applies to election night?

And this is from the person that also said this...

There was a widespread understanding that this election [in 2016] was not on the level,” Clinton said during an interview for the latest episode of The Atlantic’s politics podcast, The Ticket. “We still don’t know what really happened.”

“There’s just a lot that I think will be revealed. History will discover,” the Democratic Party’s 2016 presidential nominee continued. “But you don’t win by 3 million votes and have all this other shenanigans and stuff going on and not come away with an idea like, ‘Whoa, something’s not right here.’ That was a deep sense of unease.”

Users who are viewing this thread