What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OG Post-Punk Countdown: 1977-1984 #1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979) (Spotify playlist link in first post) (2 Viewers)

I recognize those moves, but they're just way too stationary.  Once when I was at a darkwave club in LA, a girl came up to me and said "You're from Florida, aren't you?"  I looked a little confused, and said that I wasn't from Florida but did live there for 6 years.  She told me Florida goths are instantly recognizable because of the amount of real estate they cover on the dancefloor.  Who knew?

#12 - Gang of Four - I Found That Essence Rare (1979)

I love, love, love this song so much and had a really hard time not ranking it higher.  But it's why I came up with the rules listed in my first post - to keep the top 10 from being a Gang of Four and Joy Division lovefest.  Each of the first three Go4 albums deserve a heaping of praise, but the debut is positively revolutionary - both in its sound and in its outlook.  RIP Andy Gill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ibmNGpqU_Q

Last edited by a moderator:
scorchy said:
I recognize those moves, but they're just way too stationary.  Once when I was at a darkwave club in LA, a girl came up to me and said "You're from Florida, aren't you?"  I looked a little confused, and said that I wasn't from Florida but did live there for 6 years.  She told me Florida goths are instantly recognizable because of the amount of real estate they cover on the dancefloor.  Who knew?
Lot of heel work in Baltimore ...

#11 - The Fall - Rebellious Jukebox (1979)

Saving the top 10 for next week, so just wanted to get #11 in before then.  If I don't have a Sazerac and a muscle relaxer after dinner tonight, I'll finish up the goth side of things too.

Catchiest tune from the Fall's brilliant debut "Live at the Witch Trials."  Mark E. Smith influenced decaded of post-punk, indie, and britpop bands to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAxwCMqDbVw

urbanhack said:
Dance party tonight? 

I can fire up the strobe light and smoke machine and I'll pull my combat boots out.
Better late than never.

Gonna start by knocking out the second half of my Goth top 10 from bands in the post-punk countdown.

#5 - Siouxsie & the Banshees - Cities in Dust

#4 - The Cure - Fascination Street

#3 - Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart ( a cheat to get a third JD song in here.)

#2 - Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead (another cheat)

#1 - Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion (the song DJs play when they need to hit the bathroom and then the bar.)

Never been a fan of this band, but I hate this song with the fire of a thousand suns.
Mrs. Scorchy loves the Blonde, so I've seen them a few times. Their early stuff actually rocks - really like God is a Bullet and Still in Hollywood. OTOH, wouldn't mind if I never heard Joey or Bloodletting ever again.

#15 - Mission of Burma - Academy Fight Song (1980)

Before the "Signals, Calls, and Marches" EP, before the "Vs." full-length, there was this brilliant single.  Must admit that I've gone over the lyrics a zillion times, and I still can't decide if it's the best song ever written about boarding school or just a metaphor for something that completely escapes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkZI7WZWOo
Love MoB. Saw them twice in their initial run and once after they got the band back together. Song sounds just as fresh today and immediately brings me back to my youth. In regards to the subject of the song the lyric” Immaculate Protection “ is a big clue.

scorchy said:
Flipping through channels and stopped on "Grosse Pointe Blank." No way Siouxsie or Tones on Tail were getting played at my 10-year high school reunion.  Plenty of Def Leppard though.
I didn't go to mine because I knew there'd be no Siouxsie Sioux. Our prom theme was "Without You" by Mötley Crüe. I made sure to do the umlauts correctly for all of you, and made sure to miss our tenth.

I didn't go to mine because I knew there'd be no Siouxsie Sioux. Our prom theme was "Without You" by Mötley Crüe. I made sure to do the umlauts correctly for all of you, and made sure to miss our tenth.
I didn't actually go to any of my reunions either - just making an educated guess based on what was played at various homecomings and proms.  Most themes were straight out of the prior decade (Take it to the Limit, Dream On) but at least our prom theme acknowledged that the class wasn't all just classic rock loving white folks:  Keith Sweat's "Make it Last Forever."

I didn't actually go to any of my reunions either - just making an educated guess based on what was played at various homecomings and proms.  Most themes were straight out of the prior decade (Take it to the Limit, Dream On) but at least our prom theme acknowledged that the class wasn't all just classic rock loving white folks:  Keith Sweat's "Make it Last Forever."
I was going to say something mean about the make up of my high school and figured it was best left to discretion to figure it out. Good job. And not even derogatory, just true. Well-played.

#10 - Siouxsie & the Banshees - Arabian Knights (1981)

On the subject of Siouxsie Sioux, 1981's "Juju" is one of her classics.  Siouxsie's themes keep getting darker and more gothic, but John McGeough's ringing guitar kept it from being too over-the-top.  "Arabian Knights," the second single from the album, is about a brother smuggling his accused sister out of the country to keep her from being stoned to death (if I'm reading the liner notes correctly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP-ZUbSmkRM

#10 - Siouxsie & the Banshees - Arabian Knights (1981)

On the subject of Siouxsie Sioux, 1981's "Juju" is one of her classics.  Siouxsie's themes keep getting darker and more gothic, but John McGeough's ringing guitar kept it from being too over-the-top.  "Arabian Knights," the second single from the album, is about a brother smuggling his accused sister out of the country to keep her from being stoned to death (if I'm reading the liner notes correctly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP-ZUbSmkRM
I still have this one on cassette tape (not Juju - it is on the fantastic early 80s compilation - Once Upon a Time: The Singles). Fortunately, the 2007 car I drive has a cassette player.

In my yearbook the favorite song of out senior class was “Ice Ice Baby.”  So it can always be worse.

P.S. Favorite actor was Mel Gibson and favorite comedian was Andrew Dice Clay so lots of embarrassing stuff to go around.

#9 - Pere Ubu - Non-Alignment Pact (1978)

I know it's trite to call a band unique, but Cleveland's Pere Ubu honestly sounded like nothing else at the time.  The aggressive art rock of their first two LPs, "The Modern Dance" and "Dub Housing", both from 1978, sometimes makes for difficult listening, but their influence can't be understated.  

For the record, I originally had "Final Solution" in the countdown as well before a little research revealed that it was from 1976.  I had no idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZty5DTmpMY

#9 - Pere Ubu - Non-Alignment Pact (1978)

I know it's trite to call a band unique, but Cleveland's Pere Ubu honestly sounded like nothing else at the time.  The aggressive art rock of their first two LPs, "The Modern Dance" and "Dub Housing", both from 1978, sometimes makes for difficult listening, but their influence can't be understated.  

For the record, I originally had "Final Solution" in the countdown as well before a little research revealed that it was from 1976.  I had no idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZty5DTmpMY
Of all the vinyl and cassettes I had back then, this album was the one most out of left field. 

The closer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNUVhGYJ0k

Users who are viewing this thread