What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SlateStarCodex is back as Astral Codex Ten (1 Viewer)

This one in particular has me literally laughing out loud.  It's spot-on, but also so well-written and cruel that it seems like something Christopher Hitchens might have written:

You have to understand: most writers are losers, or at least, they secretly think of themselves as losers. They were losers in high school and never got over it and were surprised to learn that they couldn’t get their novel about Facing Adulthood with My Multiracial Friends in Bushwick published and so didn’t get the literary celebrity they felt they deserved. So they dive into the media ecosystem where they are delighted to find exactly what they were looking for: a new high school, a replacement for the one where they were a ####### loser, where this time they’ll be the quarterback, they’ll be the head cheerleader. And so they get up every morning and jockey for rank. They horse trade. They seek favor. They amplify work they don’t really respect because the person who wrote it is more popular or successful than them or both. They pretend that terrible, terrible jokes told by terminally unfunny people are entertaining, because they know the other person will reciprocate.

Freddie DeBoer sort of summarized something I thought this morning, only it was with sadness that I thought it and not quite so much anger as with which he expressed his opinions. In looking for songs to pick for the modern pop channel that is one of the categories in the Genrepalooza thread I'm taking part in this morning, I had noticed how insipid (yes, I know, that's always the complaint) pop music has gotten over the past ten years. But when I say insipid, I'm really thinking of a cultural phenomenon going on. Pop culture, more than ever (even more so than the screaming and swooning Beatles fans) seems that it's female-centric and centers around nothing more than the celebration of the feminine. I wondered how we'd fallen so far to giving Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion single of the year, Pheobe Bridgers artist of the year, Arianna Grande pop culture icon of the year, Billie Eilish songwriter of the year, Mitski alternative queen of the year, the whole host of them doing nothing but singing about the cultural experience of being a woman, really. Taylor Swift's new albums count, too. Anyway, I was wondering why the critics like and affirm such reductively simple and unoriginal stuff. DeBoer's aside about the critics and not wanting to hear another cishet man (I believe was the wording) sort of sealed something for me I already knew. That our cultural gatekeepers are far beyond gone appreciating music and art qua music and art, and that worse than that, one must first and foremost appreciate theory and cultural intent to make it as a critic of one of these publications. And that the role of gatekeeper that the critic plays has made it nigh impossible for bands or artists that don't come from that whole in-group-sanctified theory or intent behind their music to even exist as a culturally meaningful entity. Which is a shame, because outsider art can be so beautifully done and realized, revealing not only its beauty but truths about the human condition. Real art, I'd posit, exists not so much in democratic theory and intent but in truth and beauty, however difficult and uncomfortable those notions are. Sex or gender cheerleading seems so stupid when stacked up against great works of art and literature. It looks...flimsy.

Anyway, the anger he writes with wasn't there for me, but I was melancholy about the whole thing early this morning. Thanks for posting his piece. Felt less alone in my thoughts for a minute. Because I seriously can't pick an original song from this era without thinking about the vapid and warmed-over Ms. Magazine philosophy I'm getting with it, from the production room to the bedroom to her thoughts and beyond. 

Enough.

Also read Aaronson's link to the in-group/out-group essay at SSC. Interesting again.

"Certainly it is hard to deny that public school does anything other than crush learning - I have too many bad memories of teachers yelling at me for reading in school, or for peeking ahead in the textbook, to doubt that."

I've been there. Once, when complaining that another student was reading too slow in kindergarten, my punishment was to be sent away from class to read sixth grade material and take a test on it. This is not a humblebrag. It was humiliating and punitive, and was because I wanted to go play football. That's it. We were late for recess. That's why I complained and was met with the well-intentioned but confusing and borderline psychotic prescription of trying to solve problems and address symbolism (yes, Suskind touches on that) within literature eight times over my head. Fun. Now they've even eliminated recess in the interest of keeping kids in line and attuned to their studies. Hogwash, I say. I also say they should get rid of it all, and that's not informed by my libertarian hatred of the well-intentioned but flawed premise of Horace Mann's great experiment, it's by experience. I hated most schooling from fourth grade on. It does not suit my temperament.

I also read a review of this book by Geoff Shullenberger yesterday, who is proving every bit the thinker these days, very relevant because his field of study is critical theory, something that has come to the fore in academia and has therefore filtered down to the populace, just in unknown ways.

So on to the real meat in DeBoer's book and back to Charles Murray, as DeBoer's thesis is essentially Murray's, just thirty years later and to the left. Murray has been known to have remarked, in conversation, that he had hoped The Bell Curve would offer an olive branch to the harder left, in that drawing from the premise that IQ determines earnings and social status, and since IQ is genetic and landed or inherited, the conclusion would be that we weren't a meritocracy at all, but that the game, so to speak, was fixed from the beginning of our existences on earth. He later went on to publish books and give lectures about education whereupon he intoned what DeBoer does: that there, by mathematics alone and for whatever reason one may choose, will always be below-average people just by the definition of average alone. The divergence between he and others was what to do about it, this inequality. For liberals, it was to level the playing field through social programs, for deBoer, it's the dismantling of the entire capitalist system and reconstructing the schooling method. For Murray, it was to do nothing at all but emphasize the trades. He intoned that we are largely happy, things were better than at any point in human history, and that we must find our worth in either God or our work and family, unequal yet fulfilled. I'll never forget the dictum of the left as stated by someone famous that I forget who was quoted by Murray once in a National Review essay. The left, he said, wants to "interfere, interfere, interfere" with the natural order of things in the name of progress. Which is why left-libertarianism is a very intellectually defensible position even to this former rightist. To have interfered with previous interferences might be necessary for not just the happiness derived from some sense of a fair game, but might restore happiness sapped from the populace by the existence of law alone. A heady concept, yes. Potentially an anarchist's lament and solution. But more defensible than other leftist positions.

Anyway, given the interventions and interferences necessary to accomplish equality palatable to the left, I'm going with Murray over both traditional liberals and deBoer. Suskind's review is interesting, and invokes these thinkers and lines of thought all over again for me. If it sounds like I know a lot about Murray, I do. I cannot help but think that we'll wind up butting up against his propositions for a long time when it comes to class, IQ, and equality. It's becoming more apparent as the years go on that this is a real issue, and possibly an intractable one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call "reading the room":

Earlier this week, I objected when a journalist dishonestly spliced my words to imply I supported Charles Murray's The Bell Curve. Some people wrote me to complain that I handled this in a cowardly way - I showed that the specific thing the journalist quoted wasn’t a reference to The Bell Curve, but I never answered the broader question of what I thought of the book. They demanded I come out and give my opinion openly. Well, the most direct answer is that I've never read it. But that's kind of cowardly too - I've read papers and articles making what I assume is the same case. So what do I think of them?

This is far enough from my field that I would usually defer to expert consensus, but all the studies I can find which try to assess expert consensus seem crazy. A while ago, I freaked out upon finding a study that seemed to show most expert scientists in the field agreed with Murray's thesis in 1987 - about three times as many said the gap was due to a combination of genetics and environment as said it was just environment. Then I freaked out again when I found another study (here is the most recent version, from 2020) showing basically the same thing (about four times as many say it’s a combination of genetics and environment compared to just environment). I can't find any expert surveys giving the expected result that they all agree this is dumb and definitely 100% environment and we can move on (I'd be very relieved if anybody could find those, or if they could explain why the ones I found were fake studies or fake experts or a biased sample, or explain how I'm misreading them or that they otherwise shouldn't be trusted. If you have thoughts on this, please send me an email). I've vacillated back and forth on how to think about this question so many times, and right now my personal probability estimate is "I am still freaking out about this, go away go away go away". And I understand I have at least two potentially irresolveable biases on this question: one, I'm a white person in a country with a long history of promoting white supremacy; and two, if I lean in favor then everyone will hate me, and use it as a bludgeon against anyone I have ever associated with, and I will die alone in a ditch and maybe deserve it. So the best I can do is try to route around this issue when considering important questions. This is sometimes hard, but the basic principle is that I'm far less sure of any of it than I am sure that all human beings are morally equal and deserve to have a good life and get treated with respect regardless of academic achievement.

Really enjoyed reading through the discussion of the last few pages.  I would stop by the politics forum more often if the the politeness was on the level of this thread.

I confess I have not read any of the Bell Curve and am only familiar with it through people's discussions and writings about the book.  I did read all of Scott's Freddie DeBoar book review as well as a lot of the comments.  If I understand it right, I actually totally agree with the starting tenet that IQ and its inheritability gives people "privilege", to use a term I don't particularly care for.  I also think that we equate IQ with value to our detriment, as the genius is of no more inherent worth as a human than the naturally strong, tall, or handsome. 

Where it goes off the rails for me, is that it seems to then conclude that success is wholly unearned and the result of the mere luck of getting a genetic silver spoon.  While IQ may correlate with success and knowledge, surely a person has no small sway on his ultimate destiny and can hone the skills that he has leading to more success.  It seems to me we should neither disparage the person whom through no fault of his own can never be a physicist nor claim the person who spent the broad part of his life trying to learn and grow humanity's knowledge base has somehow robbed his fellow man through his action.

Agree with Dr. Zaius, interesting discussion and on a good level.  Crazy that the conversation has turned to IQ as really one of the defining topics of "advantage" as I've been thinking about this recently...cool to see there is some writings that delve into it more.

In a society that has at least basic equal rights under the law, IQ would seem to be the ultimate advantage (along with some other non gender/race traits) but nobody seems to get worked up about how to solve the essential unfairness of this fact of birth.  We've built a society that rather than really a bunch of racists is full of IQists...and thats celebrated.

Rock thanks for the summary of some of the different interpretations from those authors...as you've summarized their conclusions I think Murrays is most aligned with how I'd land.  Needs to be supported with appropriate social safety nets (the extent to which will eternally be argued about).

I've read Paul Fussell's Class and his Thank God For The Atom Bomb. I'd say that the book Class, along with The Closing Of The American Mind, are two books that actually completely changed my worldview and life. That's saying something for a book.

As for the modest proposal (is it Swiftian or serious?) I see an interesting ragout of things there, don't you? I would say that his analysis about what Republicans should be doing is indeed what they are fumbling (and greatly fumbling) their way towards. They're just not hyper-intellectual enough to know they're already doing it or how to do it effectively. But as AC10 implies, his suggestion, rather than creating an aspirational party, simply points out the way to further divide a populace using the left's old tactical methods and dialectic.

Aspiration vs. opposition:

Nietzsche Contra Wagner is a good example of what we have going on right now on the right, only the right is less intellectual and less highbrow about it. Nietzsche Contra Wagner embodies a sour-minded theory about something that is in opposition to someone else, based upon (in the book) petty jealousy. But that's what AC10, on the surface, modestly recommends. A highbrow version of the current state of affairs.

Reagan was for the shining city on a hill, an aspiration for us all to attain, something it seems like AC10 would get behind. A vision of the future for all rather than mere objection to the winners of the status quo.

Putting this here because this argument comes up all the time on this forum and it would helpful to have something in-house that we can link to instead of having to walk people through the same problem over and over again.

In yesterday's review of Antifragile, I tried to stick to something close to Taleb's own words. But here's how I eventually found myself understanding an important kind of antifragility.

I feel bad about this, because Taleb hates bell curves and tells people to stop using them as examples, but sorry, this is what I’ve got.

Suppose that Distribution 1 represents nuclear plants. It has low variance, so all the plants are pretty similar. Plant A is slightly older and less fancy than Plant B, but it still works about the same.

Now we move to Distribution 2. It has high variance. Plant B is the best nuclear plant in the world. It uses revolutionary new technology to squeeze extra power out of each gram of uranium, its staff are carefully-trained experts, and it's won Power Plant Magazine's Reactor Of The Year award five times in a row.

Plant A suffers a meltdown after two days, killing everybody.

If you live in a region with lots of nuclear plants, you'd prefer they be on the first distribution, the low-variance one. Having some great nuclear plants is nice, but having any terrible ones means catastrophe. Much better for all nuclear plants to be mediocre.

Okay, now suppose that Distribution 1 represents car companies in your region. Again, it has low variance, so they're all pretty similar. Ford vs. GM, something like that.

What about Distribution 2? Now Point B is Tesla, making revolutionary new environmentally-friendly cars. In fact, let's say it's some super-Tesla that's even better than the real Tesla, plus their cars are affordable even for the poorest people. Point A is Yugo (or if you know a more modern example of a terrible car company, use that). Now which distribution would you rather have?

Distribution 2, definitely! You can buy the super-Tesla and be very happy, without ever worrying about Yugo. In fact, after a few years Yugo will go out of business, super-Tesla will dominate the market, and everyone will be very happy.

Your only regret is that you can't move to a Distribution 3 where the variance is even higher. On Distribution 3, Company A's cars literally can't move, or back up when you try to move them forward, or immediately catch fire. Company B produces flying cars that cost $100 and suck carbon out of the air wherever they go, plus their emissions cure cancer. Nobody ever purchases a car from Company A, Company B captures the market and spawns equally impressive competitors, it's win-win. Your only regret is that there's no Distribution 4 where the variance is even higher...

So: nuclear plants are fragile. You want them to have as little variance as possible. Car companies are antifragile. You want them to have as much variance as possible.

Or more generally: in an area with frequent catastrophes, where the catastrophes have externalities on people who didn’t choose them, you want to lower variance, so that nothing ever gets bad enough to produce the catastrophe.

In an area where people can choose whatever they want, and are smart enough to choose good things rather than bad ones, you want to raise variance, so that the best thing will be very good indeed, and then everybody can choose that and bask in its goodness.

That second point is a bog-standard libertarian argument. You want there to be as many things as possible, as different from each other as possible, so that there can be at least one that's good. You can apply the argument to freedom of speech (you want to hear as many opinions as possible to maximize your chance of hearing the true one), charter cities (you want as many different political regimes as possible so you can figure out which one maximizes human flourishing, and then you either move to that one, or take advantage of the scientific and economic goods it produces), charter schools (you want as many different kinds of school as possible, so you can find out which one educates kids best and go there), et cetera.

But maybe it’s not bog-standard enough. People tend to get surprised whenever libertarians differ from the most strawmannish version of Ayn Rand. But I find my disagreements with her map pretty closely to this idea of “diversity libertarianism”. I'm less likely to object to things like taxing the rich, redistributing wealth, or removing externalities on carbon - none of those decrease diversity very much. And I’m more likely to care about conformist pressures from religions or mobs, even though technically those don’t involve government.

Earlier this year, Amazon, Apple, and Google simultaneously decided to block access to Parler. A lot of libertarians objected that it was pretty scary that corporations have so much power to restrict speech they don't like, and a lot of anti-libertarians made fun of them: this is just corporations making their own decisions about their corporate property! Isn't that what you libertarians want?

I think diversity libertarianism offers a reason why it isn't.

Diversity libertarianism is usually in favor of companies being allowed to do a wide range of things, because it ensures everyone will be well-served. If you assume an arbitrarily large number of uncorrelated companies, then whatever the thing you want is, there's at least one existing or easy-to-start company doing it. If Ford refuses to sell cars to black people, Toyota should see a profit opportunity and step in. If both Ford and Toyota ban blacks at the same time, some upstart like Tesla should step in. If Ford, Toyota, and Tesla all do it, some guy with a wrench who's always dreamed of making cars in his garage should notice a billion-dollar business opportunity lying on the ground, get seed capital from equally greedy investors, and solve the problem.

When might this not work? First, if cars are hard, and starting a new car company takes too much time. I'm not too concerned about this one. I think a lot of people could potentially make one or two crappy 1920s-style cars in their garage with a little work, and once they do that, black people with no other options will buy them, and that will give them enough money to bootstrap into a powerful car company that can compete with the big dogs. Tesla did something like this when Musk though the big dogs were neglecting electric, and that went great.

But other fields have higher entry barriers than cars do. Apple and Google both blocked Parler from their phones. But these are the only two major smartphone companies. It would probably take at least a decade to set up another one, and although I think there's some demand, I'm not sure that demand can coordinate itself into a phone company that doesn't do this kind of thing.

And more important than these kinds of theoretical objections - in the real world there were times and places where all companies refused good service to blacks for several hundred years. Economists have shown that this wasn't exactly organic - companies were afraid to give blacks good jobs, to pay them higher wages, or to sell them products they weren't supposed to have; they figured racist mobs would attack them, racist employees would desert them, or a racist government would crack down on them.

I tend to think of this as a religious problem, by analogy to very religious towns where eg nobody will sell liquor even though there's no official law against it, or fundamentalist areas where it’s impossible to admit you’re an atheist even though there are no laws against it. In some times and places, racism took on an almost-religious level of fervour, and that was enough to soft-"regulate" companies into compliance even when governments didn't officially weigh in on the issue. Having lots of companies only works when they're uncorrelated, and religions ensure correlations approaching 1 on the issues they care about.

Right now there's religious pressure on tech companies to conform. Someone on Twitter pointed out that tech censoring Parler isn't a sign of their strength, but of their weakness. Imagine that Mark Zuckerberg decided he personally really disliked BLM, and he was going to censor BLM and any people/organizations/apps that promoted it from Facebook. Do you think he would succeed? Do you think he could stay CEO of Facebook after he was found to be doing this? Mark Zuckerberg and Big Tech in general are as much slaves to the prevailing religion as the rest of us; their "power" is the power to choose between medium vs. high levels of conformity.

If you're an anti-government libertarian, I'm not sure there's much you can do besides shrug and say that religion isn't government, so this kind of thing is fine. In fact, I think some paleolibertarians think of this as a feature rather than a bug; they want government out of the way so (their) religion can rule the roost. But if you're a diversity libertarian, you're worried that religions can decrease variance of options the same way governments can. The evangelical Christian town where nobody will tolerate gay people may not have laws against homosexuality, but gay people still won't be able to find a church, community, or business that meets their needs.

I'm not going to argue the merits of constraining vs. not constraining Big Tech here, except to say that I usually err on the side of regulation not being the answer. My point is that it's not hypocritical for libertarians to support a wide variety of corporations with different policies, and also oppose coordinated corporate censorship.

(If you did want to argue against diversity libertarianism, you'd want to show that relevant systems are more fragile than anti-fragile; giving people more options will usually make them worse. Maybe the slightest failure could cause catastrophe - I think free speech opponents think this is true, but I’m less sure they’re right. Or people will perversely choose the worst option rather than the best if many options are made available - I think this is sometimes true for things like drugs and gambling. or there are overwhelming externalities. Or there are externalities, which can range from the very simple like pollution to the very complicated, like whether your working for a low wage has externalities because it forces me to compete with you. I think figuring out where to draw the lines here is really hard - but if you want to convince me, this would be more fruitful than the umpteenth essay about how the First Amendment only applies to government)

Even beyond politics, I think this predicts a sort of ethos of what I like and what I don't like. The quickest way to enrage me is to criticize some group of weird people doing their own thing without harming anyone - to try to browbeat them into doing the same thing as everyone else. That group might be just a tiny bit of slack away from creating something amazing!
https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/more-antifragile-diversity-libertarianism

Suppose that Distribution 1 represents nuclear plants. It has low variance, so all the plants are pretty similar. Plant A is slightly older and less fancy than Plant B, but it still works about the same.

Now we move to Distribution 2. It has high variance. Plant B is the best nuclear plant in the world. It uses revolutionary new technology to squeeze extra power out of each gram of uranium, its staff are carefully-trained experts, and it's won Power Plant Magazine's Reactor Of The Year award five times in a row.

Plant A suffers a meltdown after two days, killing everybody.

If you live in a region with lots of nuclear plants, you'd prefer they be on the first distribution, the low-variance one. Having some great nuclear plants is nice, but having any terrible ones means catastrophe. Much better for all nuclear plants to be mediocre.

Okay, now suppose that Distribution 1 represents car companies in your region. Again, it has low variance, so they're all pretty similar. Ford vs. GM, something like that.

What about Distribution 2? Now Point B is Tesla, making revolutionary new environmentally-friendly cars. In fact, let's say it's some super-Tesla that's even better than the real Tesla, plus their cars are affordable even for the poorest people. Point A is Yugo (or if you know a more modern example of a terrible car company, use that). Now which distribution would you rather have?

Distribution 2, definitely! You can buy the super-Tesla and be very happy, without ever worrying about Yugo. In fact, after a few years Yugo will go out of business, super-Tesla will dominate the market, and everyone will be very happy.
The point I think Scott is glossing over here is that, even if social media companies are more like car manufacturers than nuclear power plants (which I don't concede in the context of organizing the Jan 6 insurrection), it is pretty obvious that Parler is Yugo. And it's weird to criticize car dealerships for not wanting to stock Yugos. By Scott's own admission, Yugo is supposed to go out of business.

The point I think Scott is glossing over here is that, even if social media companies are more like car manufacturers than nuclear power plants (which I don't concede in the context of organizing the Jan 6 insurrection), it is pretty obvious that Parler is Yugo. And it's weird to criticize car dealerships for not wanting to stock Yugos. By Scott's own admission, Yugo is supposed to go out of business.
That's a good point.

This particular article appealed to me because it does a good job addressing a common strawman attack on libertarianism -- that libertarians can't possibly have any reason to object to decisions made by private firms.  This is the intellectual equivalent of "Well, if you say you're a Christian, then how come you eat shellfish?" in the sense that it's a dumb but superficially-appealing argument that comes up over and over again, and one grows weary of having to constantly take out that trash.  There's a good reason why people like you and me -- well, I don't know about you because you're a mod and therefore a narc ;)  -- might object to overly-intrusive moderation standards on social media forums, even when those standards are designed and enforced by a private firm.

There's a good reason why people like you and me -- well, I don't know about you because you're a mod and therefore a narc ;)  -- might object to overly-intrusive moderation standards on social media forums, even when those standards are designed and enforced by a private firm.
Yeah, the way I see things:

Pretty much any content-based moderation restrictions coming from the government are bad. (Some content can be limited with respect to time/place/manner.)

Content-based moderation restrictions coming from private firms can be either good or bad, depending on how good or bad they are.

"No moderation standards by private firms should ever be criticized" is wrongheaded. But so is "No moderation standards by private firms should exist." Unfortunately, a lot of the arguments about Parler seem to take one of those two basic forms.

Thanks for the link Ivan - somehow I had missed that piece.  My distress with the discussion about social media censorship has been less about "can Twitter legally ban person A", etc., than how many people seem to hold free speech in relatively low regard.  If Twitter banned a bunch of people and took a lot flak over it, at least we'd be reinforcing the idea that we take free speech very seriously in this country, and anyone suppressing speech should have a really high bar to clear, be they the government or not.  The "lol build your own platform" taunting is what concerns me, because in the end if we as a people decide we like a dollop of censorship, in the end that's what we're going to get, First Amendment or no.  Jim Crow laws pretty obviously violated the 14th Amendment, but that didn't stop the brightest legal minds of the day from giving them the seal of approval, because that's what the people wanted.

With respect to something like Twitter, I think bots significantly change the appropriate level of moderation.

On the whole, I'm a big fan of letting all ideas be aired out so that they can be publicly scrutinized. Bad ideas should be criticized and refuted, not censored.

There are practical limits to that, though. While I don't think the government has any business telling people not to publish racist ideas, if Twitter becomes known as the place where racist ideas dominate every conversation, they'll lose my business. I'd rather go somewhere else. In order to guard against that possibility, Twitter should be allowed to restrict the publication of racist ideas on its own platform.

In the pre-bot era, I think there'd be very little chance of Twitter being overrun by racist tweets. (I'm using "racist" as a stand-in for anything that's undesirable to a broad userbase.) On a smaller forum like FBG, I think flatly prohibiting racist nonsense is a good idea. But on a much larger forum like Twitter, if I were in charge of it, I'd probably let discussions about race flow a lot more freely. A few people would advocate racist ideas, a lot of people would refute them, and it would all be a healthy enough process.

But bots change the game. All of a sudden, unpleasant ideas aren't limited by the number of people who are willing to advocate them. A single person can program a million bots to dominate the conversation. That's no longer a healthy process. It sucks and will make all the non-bots leave Twitter and go somewhere else. Twitter should protect against that by trying to prohibit bots. But if they can't do that effectively, they should go ahead and prohibit whatever odious tweets start to proliferate regardless of whether they can be demonstrably linked to bots.

I fully support Twitter's crack down on the spread of weird QAnon stuff, for example.

Can someone explain twitter bots to me like I'm from 1990.  Are you saying there a good chance that a lot of the posts about race discussions (or any discussions) are artificial/AI.

Can someone explain twitter bots to me like I'm from 1990.  Are you saying there a good chance that a lot of the posts about race discussions (or any discussions) are artificial/AI.
I saw something a few days ago about some analysis ... I don't remember whether it said about 25% of posts spreading QAnon stuff recently were from bots, or about 25% of accounts spreading QAnon stuff were bots. Those are fairly different, but either way, bots seem to be a significant part of the conversation on certain topics.

Never heard of Freddie deBoer until Ivan quoted him above.  This paragraph I think is somewhat analogous with Ivan's quote...but it really was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me on who is driving professional media (the privileged of the privileged basically) and how much rationalizing their privileged and associated guilt drives the ideology.

In the span of a decade or so, essentially all professional media not explicitly branded as conservative has been taken over by a school of politics that emerged from humanities departments at elite universities and began colonizing the college educated through social media. Those politics are obscure, they are confusing, they are socially and culturally extreme, they are expressed in a bizarre vocabulary, they are deeply alienating to many, and they are very unpopular by any definition. The vast majority of the country is not woke, including the vast majority of women and people of color. How could it possibly be healthy for the entire media industry to be captured by any single niche political movement, let alone one that nobody likes? Why does no one in media seem willing to have an honest, uncomfortable conversation about the near-total takeover of their industry by a fringe ideology?
 LINK

Users who are viewing this thread