Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Godzilla vs. Kong


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Buckna said:

But the real question is: do I need to have watched all the prior movies to be able to understand what is going on in this one?

Oh, I am sure there are very intricate plot details you need to have as base knowledge.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Otis said:

I’m always amazed when they can get somewhat accomplished actors to do these. Eesh. I mean, I’ll watch it. But eesh. 

Yeah, when I watched the latest Godzilla movie I was baffled by the level of actors that were in that thing.   Farmiga, Whitford, Hawkins, Watanabe, Dance, Strathairn, etc..    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2021 at 3:57 PM, Buckna said:

But the real question is: do I need to have watched all the prior movies to be able to understand what is going on in this one?

Nope. All the Toho movies are considered separate sequels to the original. 
 

But since this Legendary making this, I’d say a bit knowledge about G would help. 

Edited by Tom Servo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Ok, I have seen Godzilla King of Monsters and Kong, Skull Island. Was I supposed to know who the Drs brother was and about his failed mission. I also don’t remember talk of a hollow earth in either of those movies. 
I liked Godzilla vs Kong but it felt like I was missing some back story from movies that I actually saw. :shrug: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AcerFC said:

Ok, I have seen Godzilla King of Monsters and Kong, Skull Island. Was I supposed to know who the Drs brother was and about his failed mission. I also don’t remember talk of a hollow earth in either of those movies. 
I liked Godzilla vs Kong but it felt like I was missing some back story from movies that I actually saw. :shrug: 

I rewatched all three this weekend. They definitely mention Hollow Earth in the latter two. They discussed it a ton in Skull Island.

Dr Linds brother isn't anyone from the prior films.

Serizawa (the one piloting Mecha) was obviously related to Dr Serizawa but I don't think they say how.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How does a movie with this kind of budget, group of solid actors and outstanding CGI somehow make an awful 70’s B movie look like The Godfather in comparison. Yet I throughly enjoyed it.  The fact that they made no attempt to have any of it make any sense, absolutely makes sense.  

Edited by dkp993
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I hope there is a scene as funny as this. Literally the hardest I ever laughed in a movie theatre, I was dying 

 

https://twitter.com/lucidboardshop/status/1334934525466587146?s=21

That was hysterical. The only problem with it when I rewatch is there is no way he held on to the grenades with the pulled pins. Should have been a small explosion over the water followed by a puff of smoke from him crushing that wall. Maybe a small explosion when his body falls to the ground like a car crash with the delayed explosion. That would have floored me with the multiple explosions and wall hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That was hysterical. The only problem with it when I rewatch is there is no way he held on to the grenades with the pulled pins. Should have been a small explosion over the water followed by a puff of smoke from him crushing that wall. Maybe a small explosion when his body falls to the ground like a car crash with the delayed explosion. That would have floored me with the multiple explosions and wall hit.

When this scene happened in the theater, there was some lady sitting behind me taking the movie VERY seriously, which made me laugh even harder, which lead to my wife slapping my leg to get me to stop. 
 

I think the sad music is what really put it over the top for me.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Capella said:

When this scene happened in the theater, there was some lady sitting behind me taking the movie VERY seriously, which made me laugh even harder, which lead to my wife slapping my leg to get me to stop. 
 

I think the sad music is what really put it over the top for me.  

This was my inappropriate laugh out loud hysterically moment when everyone else was crying.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Capella said:

how did they get sunlight inside the hollow earth 

Danger Will Robinson, Danger.  DO NOT go down that road with this movie.  It will dominate the next 18 months of your life there’s so many questions like that. I’m honestly not sure there isn’t a three minute period in the entire movie where one couldn’t ask a question of that nature.  

Edited by dkp993
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Danger Will Robinson, Danger.  DO NOT go down that road with this movie.  It will dominate the next 18 months of your life there’s so many questions like that. I’m honestly not sure there isn’t a three minute period in the entire movie where one could ask a question of that nature.  

:lmao: did anybody making this movie even consider it? Amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Capella said:

:lmao: did anybody making this movie even consider it? Amazing. 

I love how in 5 mins they were able to adjust from transporting Kong via boat to a coordinated 20+ helicopter and plane air transit. All with a Kong sized cargo net they had laying around or stopped by Walmart to grab real quick.  
 

Massive gravity “inversion” that crushes within a second but some how Kong “will be fine”. Guess he is immune to the forces of gravity too.  
 

3 randoms wondering around at will the most secure and secret place on the planet.  
 

GD you @Capella, every time I think I’m out I get pulled back in.  
 

 

Edited by dkp993
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Graphics and fight scenes were cool.  Everything else, and I mean everything, sucked.  Story line of a 10 year old. Pacific rim was better.  I almost fell asleep.

Edited by rascal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the movie, the special effects were awesome.  Even just the part where Kong climbs back onto the boat and throws up water was so cool.  #teamgodzilla

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Capella said:

:lmao: did anybody making this movie even consider it? Amazing. 

Watched it last night. After Wonder Woman 1984, I am pretty sure I understand the whole let's release on the streaming platform this year to try and add new customers. It really was to soften the blow of these atrocities. If you had paid $100 to take your family of 5 to these movies, you would have been pissed and never seen them again. I was able to enjoy a movie that had some of the dumbest moments and biggest plot holes ever because I didn't pay a penny to see it.

Spoiler alert, lol, I can't help myself because if you truly ruin your enjoyment of this movie by being spoiled then I can't help you in life. The spoilers may help so you can chuckle more watching the movie. It is a popcorn move that should be enjoyed and not ask questions. I just wanted to see how many things I could list that were truly amazing. I think the writers just got a bout 10 minutes in and realized there was no way to make it plausible so they said F it, let's just make it look cool.

Here's a great list:

  • Who made that first axe and how did it power up the world?
  • Sunlight and animals living in whatever the hell that place was.
  • Why did Godzilla just decide to be friends?
  • How did the wireless access work in the hollow earth?
  • How the hell did they somehow translate that new energy source over the wireless network?
  • How did they within a minute just pump said new energy source into mecha-Godzilla? Did they 3D print it?
  • How did mecha-Godzilla just wake up when it was clearly not an AI and more of a Pacific Rim suit?
  • How did the guy running mecha-Godzilla suddenly get fried and was he the same guy controlling Zeus in Real Steel?
  • How much freaking money was spent by that idiot explorer who's brother was squished to death to build that Antarctic station and why did they just give up?
  • Did his brother and team just jump in the hole? Couldn't they have taken a helicopter and just gone really slow at the bad point?
  • Did Elon Musk build the Pensacola to Hong Kong Boring tunnel? Did he start it before or after the last movie?
  • Did they really build that around the world tunnel just to send baby animals to the Hong Kong fighting ring?
  • Why the #### did they choose Pensacola as some sort of really cool city?
  • Did they really spend billions of dollars to create an arena to test mecha-Godzilla and wouldn't it have been smarter to just raise the babies in the other 100 animal lockers in the arena?
  • What was the arena made of that the mecha-Godzilla blasts didn't seem to create a single scratch?
  • If that glass in the watching area was strong enough to withstand a laser blast, why isn't it what iPhone screens are made out of?
  • Why did mecha-Godzilla turn bad and why did he kill that one main bad guy? Was it something he said in the speech that mecha-Godzilla didn't like?
  • Is Hong Kong really a neon city like that?
  • Did Kong just jump up through the hole to get to Hong Kong?
  • Why did the ex-Vampire guy fly their plane right at the monsters when he got out of the hole?
  • Why are the people of Hong Kong so stupid? In the final hug scene they are walking every which way and in the battle, they see to be just running around or not evacuating so something can fall on them. It just makes me wonder how they've survived as a huge city this long.

I feel like there's more, but that's just stream of consciousness. The best part is that I actually enjoyed watching it, probably because it was free. With WW84, Kong vs. Godzilla and Justice League, you truly have to wonder if Warner Brothers has the same writers as The Walking Dead. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoa.. Way too much thinking going on in stbug's posts.. 90% I wouldn't even think about if not for the post..
But for this one:

Quote

Why did Godzilla just decide to be friends?

IMO.. and I could be wrong here.. But..

I felt that when Kong dropped the Axe, he was singling that Godzilla was Alpha( back to the premise of there can only be one Alpha).

Godzilla basically said "You got that right sucker!!" and walked away. 
:oldunsure:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, snogger said:

Whoa.. Way too much thinking going on in stbug's posts.. 90% I wouldn't even think about if not for the post..
But for this one:

IMO.. and I could be wrong here.. But..

I felt that when Kong dropped the Axe, he was singling that Godzilla was Alpha( back to the premise of there can only be one Alpha).

Godzilla basically said "You got that right sucker!!" and walked away. 
:oldunsure:

Yep, that was my take as well especially after they show Kong down in middle earth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, snogger said:

Whoa.. Way too much thinking going on in stbug's posts.. 90% I wouldn't even think about if not for the post..
But for this one:

IMO.. and I could be wrong here.. But..

I felt that when Kong dropped the Axe, he was singling that Godzilla was Alpha( back to the premise of there can only be one Alpha).

Godzilla basically said "You got that right sucker!!" and walked away. 
:oldunsure:

LOL, honestly that was not thinking at all just running through an obvious list and typing every thought out. I was just amazed at how easy it was to go WTF did that happen. It was a really fast list, believe me and I'm sure I missed many more.

The friends thing I meant wasn't the ending part, it was when Godzilla decided to not kill Kong before mecha-Godzilla appeared. Based on the history, that was a decision he wouldn't have made. Kind of like when he just decided to stop attacking the ships where he easily finishes off Kong. I know why the writers did it that way so they could get a good battle but also leave Kong alive so that he can save Godzilla. It made way more sense at the end end to be friends since Kong saved him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dkp993 said:

I love how in 5 mins they were able to adjust from transporting Kong via boat to a coordinated 20+ helicopter and plane air transit. All with a Kong sized cargo net they had laying around or stopped by Walmart to grab real quick.  
 

Massive gravity “inversion” that crushes within a second but some how Kong “will be fine”. Guess he is immune to the forces of gravity too.  
 

3 randoms wondering around at will the most secure and secret place on the planet.  
 

GD you @Capella, every time I think I’m out I get pulled back in.  
 

 

They also left off how the got Kong chained and onto a boat in the first place other than a throw away line about sedatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, identikit said:

Could not make it through.

Incessantly annoying humans, particularly the kids.

 

 

8 hours ago, rascal said:

Graphics and fight scenes were cool.  Everything else, and I mean everything, sucked.  Story line of a 10 year old. Pacific rim was better.  I almost fell asleep.

This is about where I was.   Way too much human/conspiracy/dumb stuff, and I ended up FF a little to get to the GvK.    And I loved the hell out out Skull Island.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

LOL, honestly that was not thinking at all just running through an obvious list and typing every thought out. I was just amazed at how easy it was to go WTF did that happen. It was a really fast list, believe me and I'm sure I missed many more.

The friends thing I meant wasn't the ending part, it was when Godzilla decided to not kill Kong before mecha-Godzilla appeared. Based on the history, that was a decision he wouldn't have made. Kind of like when he just decided to stop attacking the ships where he easily finishes off Kong. I know why the writers did it that way so they could get a good battle but also leave Kong alive so that he can save Godzilla. It made way more sense at the end end to be friends since Kong saved him.

Godzilla beat Kong’s ### into submission and that is all he cares about. Kong would have died had they not jumped started....omg I have to kick my own ### for being a nerd. Bbl

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...