What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Godzilla vs. Kong (1 Viewer)

Watched it last night. After Wonder Woman 1984, I am pretty sure I understand the whole let's release on the streaming platform this year to try and add new customers. It really was to soften the blow of these atrocities. If you had paid $100 to take your family of 5 to these movies, you would have been pissed and never seen them again. I was able to enjoy a movie that had some of the dumbest moments and biggest plot holes ever because I didn't pay a penny to see it.

Spoiler alert, lol, I can't help myself because if you truly ruin your enjoyment of this movie by being spoiled then I can't help you in life. The spoilers may help so you can chuckle more watching the movie. It is a popcorn move that should be enjoyed and not ask questions. I just wanted to see how many things I could list that were truly amazing. I think the writers just got a bout 10 minutes in and realized there was no way to make it plausible so they said F it, let's just make it look cool.

Here's a great list:

• Who made that first axe and how did it power up the world?
  • Sunlight and animals living in whatever the hell that place was.
  • Why did Godzilla just decide to be friends?
  • How did the wireless access work in the hollow earth?
  • How the hell did they somehow translate that new energy source over the wireless network?
  • How did they within a minute just pump said new energy source into mecha-Godzilla? Did they 3D print it?
  • How did mecha-Godzilla just wake up when it was clearly not an AI and more of a Pacific Rim suit?
  • How did the guy running mecha-Godzilla suddenly get fried and was he the same guy controlling Zeus in Real Steel?
  • How much freaking money was spent by that idiot explorer who's brother was squished to death to build that Antarctic station and why did they just give up?
  • Did his brother and team just jump in the hole? Couldn't they have taken a helicopter and just gone really slow at the bad point?
  • Did Elon Musk build the Pensacola to Hong Kong Boring tunnel? Did he start it before or after the last movie?
  • Did they really build that around the world tunnel just to send baby animals to the Hong Kong fighting ring?
  • Why the #### did they choose Pensacola as some sort of really cool city?
  • Did they really spend billions of dollars to create an arena to test mecha-Godzilla and wouldn't it have been smarter to just raise the babies in the other 100 animal lockers in the arena?
  • What was the arena made of that the mecha-Godzilla blasts didn't seem to create a single scratch?
  • If that glass in the watching area was strong enough to withstand a laser blast, why isn't it what iPhone screens are made out of?
  • Why did mecha-Godzilla turn bad and why did he kill that one main bad guy? Was it something he said in the speech that mecha-Godzilla didn't like?
  • Is Hong Kong really a neon city like that?
  • Did Kong just jump up through the hole to get to Hong Kong?
  • Why did the ex-Vampire guy fly their plane right at the monsters when he got out of the hole?
  • Why are the people of Hong Kong so stupid? In the final hug scene they are walking every which way and in the battle, they see to be just running around or not evacuating so something can fall on them. It just makes me wonder how they've survived as a huge city this long.
I feel like there's more, but that's just stream of consciousness. The best part is that I actually enjoyed watching it, probably because it was free. With WW84, Kong vs. Godzilla and Justice League, you truly have to wonder if Warner Brothers has the same writers as The Walking Dead. 
I feel like a lot of these questions they did explain. Mechagodzilla was bad because he was linked up to King Gidorah. That answers like half your questions. The axe was powered up by the Earth not the other way around.  Kong's ancestors built it.

I’m getting a WW84 vibe here. Is this “better” in any way than WW84? My family still gives me grief for picking that one on movie night. I l
WW84 is one of maybe 5 movies in my entire life I couldn’t make it through, and I love superhero movies.  I’d watch Ironman 3 (clearly the worst Marvel movie) on constant replay for a week vs having to watch WW84 1 time through. 
GvK is better because it’s more absurd.  It’s so detached from reality you just have to let go.  

I feel like a lot of these questions they did explain. Mechagodzilla was bad because he was linked up to King Gidorah. That answers like half your questions. The axe was powered up by the Earth not the other way around.  Kong's ancestors built it.
So Kong’s ancestors can build columns and cathedral style rooms.  The could chisel perfectly smooth 400 foot doors on hinges?  

This is about where I was.   Way too much human/conspiracy/dumb stuff, and I ended up FF a little to get to the GvK.    And I loved the hell out out Skull Island.  
I ended up zipping past all the scenes with humans talking and just watched the scenes with Zilla and Kong. Those were great. A+

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of things being posted here are the reason I like to go to the theater, rather then watch a movie the first time at home.

So EASY to get distracted at home.. Phone chirps, dog barks, kids yell, wife yaps, etc.. Not to mention easy to pause to go to the bathroom, get something to eat., etc.

IMO, it ruins the first impression of a movie and the reason I was so :excited:  to go see this in the theater, which was the first time there since early 2020. 

Perfect movie to watch for me while doing some work on the computer. Easy to follow if you are only half paying attention. Most of it won't make any more sense if you give it full attention anyway. Check in during the fun scenes and tune out in between. Some of the lines the actors had to deliver were hilarious. The movie looked and sounded incredible on my new set up but the CGI video game fight graphics don't do it for me. 

Something else I forgot to mention..
The "Bass" was ramped up enough that my wife at one point leaned over and said " Is my seat really moving or is that from the sound? " :lol:  

One of my daughters friends dad rented out the entire theatre and invited us to watch last night, birthday party kind of deal.  3 adults, 7 or 8 kids.  It was pretty great.  First time I've been in a theater since the last Star Wars in early Jan 2020.

Could not make it through.

Incessantly annoying humans, particularly the kids.
Godzilla kids were annoying. Kong kid was cool.

All the adults were annoying. I forget if Coach Taylor ever actually did anything in the earlier Godzilla movies, but he had to have one of the most useless parts ever in this.

It was nice to be in a theater again.  My son (9) thought it was great.  It was a fun afternoon.

I am surprised how easily Godzilla beat down Kong every time.  Not that he shouldn’t but that the writers would do that. Godzilla just tanked a headshot from a charged axe. Got up, shook it off and was all, “f’ it, I’ve had enough”, then proceeded to trash Kong.  If the writers were being realistic, Godzilla would have crushed Kong’s chest like he did Ghidorah’s or fried his skull with his atomic breath.  

Man, the average age in this thread must be over 50. I’m positive half the ffa would be pissed if given a billion dollars tax free.
The funny thing is that I listed out a bunch of things after the sunlight note and I really enjoyed watching the movie. The holes made it more fun.

I forget if Coach Taylor ever actually did anything in the earlier Godzilla movies, but he had to have one of the most useless parts ever in this.
He did have a bigger role in King of Monsters, but in this one his primary function appeared to be "look concerned."

So Kong’s ancestors can build columns and cathedral style rooms.  The could chisel perfectly smooth 400 foot doors on hinges?  
The amount of building was amazing. Titans with no real tools building that complex, teams of people who were squished building an access point to middle earth bigger than the Hoth base and a tunnel from Honk Kong to Pensacola of all places.

I tried to take my older son to see it tonight at my rinky dink PA theater. Both scheduled shows were sold out. They then added a third show which also sold out. Even with COVID spacing, I’m still stunned. 
Got ‘em for tomorrow afternoon. :thumbup:

I was so stoked for this movie, but it was a little underwhelming. It needed less people and more monsters.

I hope this isn't a spoiler, but just a little helpful tip--there is no cut scene after the credits like every other Kong/Godzilla movie..  

I was so stoked for this movie, but it was a little underwhelming. It needed less people and more monsters.

I hope this isn't a spoiler, but just a little helpful tip--there is no cut scene after the credits like every other Kong/Godzilla movie..  
Agree. I liked it a bit more than you but yeah.   More monsters less people please

I’ll admit I expected more monster fights after hearing all the chatter on SM.  The fights were excellent but short.  Maybe expected given the mismatch.   :devil:

KOTM seemed to have way more fighting. 

LOL, honestly that was not thinking at all just running through an obvious list and typing every thought out. I was just amazed at how easy it was to go WTF did that happen. It was a really fast list, believe me and I'm sure I missed many more.

The friends thing I meant wasn't the ending part, it was when Godzilla decided to not kill Kong before mecha-Godzilla appeared. Based on the history, that was a decision he wouldn't have made. Kind of like when he just decided to stop attacking the ships where he easily finishes off Kong. I know why the writers did it that way so they could get a good battle but also leave Kong alive so that he can save Godzilla. It made way more sense at the end end to be friends since Kong saved him.
Ok... I got unreasonably high and watched it last night and woke up wondering- did king really tap out? That's a thing in monster battles?

I love these types of reactions where people choose to watch a movie about giant magic lizards and gorillas... but THE DOOR HINGES MAN WHAT THE HELL!?!?   :lmao:
This is the same argument against The Walking Dead being absolute drek the last bunch of years by its apologists- It's about zombies, so the writers don't have to be good or have things make sense.

It can be giant monsters fighting each other and still make sense or provide more answers than questions. At least that's what good movies do. Not sure why they needed to aim so low here, but say lah vee.

I guess for getting high and having a laugh at stupid ####, with monsters fighting at it's core, this was fine.

This is the same argument against The Walking Dead being absolute drek the last bunch of years by its apologists- It's about zombies, so the writers don't have to be good or have things make sense.

It can be giant monsters fighting each other and still make sense or provide more answers than questions. At least that's what good movies do. Not sure why they needed to aim so low here, but say lah vee.

I guess for getting high and having a laugh at stupid ####, with monsters fighting at it's core, this was fine.
I am more laughing with than at.

I agree, it just comes off silly sometimes where people draw the line.

One of my daughters friends dad rented out the entire theatre and invited us to watch last night, birthday party kind of deal.  3 adults, 7 or 8 kids.  It was pretty great.  First time I've been in a theater since the last Star Wars in early Jan 2020.
We accidentally did this.  I bought 2 tickets to take my kid.  When you reserve online they block off the seats around you.  We ended up taking 4 more kids front he neighborhood, but they kept reserving seats online 1 at a time.  Every time they would book 1 seat it would block like 8.  

Having all these kids at the movie just felt right again.  I think the fun of going to the movies will come roaring back in the next few months.  

i watched it on friday and my lady and i enjoyed it i mean it was stupid as hell but it was a fun watch gaping plotholes notwithstanding i told my lady about 5 minutes in that they would find a common enemy and become and friends though that was about as obvious as anything every written take that to the bank bromigos 

I enjoyed it for the most part, but it could have been so much more. The plot is so far out there that it really did take away from the movie. It was over complicated. Far more complex than it needed to be for this type of movie.

The ending was also very anti-climatic. The battle should have been epic and instead it was basically a 1st round KO. 

Daughters girl scout troop did this for Tom and Jerry, not the same experience.

I fast forwarded through most of the human stuff and still thought it sucked. I can't imagine sitting through all that in a theater.

I remember when I got to the final battle and looked at my watch and thought, “the movie is almost over.”  Very anti-climatic butt whoopin’.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed it. But admittedly, due to the dreck released while in the midst of COVID (which I totally get), I went in with greatly reduced expectations and thought it was better than most the stuff that's been released the last 12 months or so.

Users who are viewing this thread