What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going bald (1 Viewer)

Obviously my insurance didn’t cover the meds I took. My local CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreens were all charging well over $100 for 30 pills. So I used GoodRx for maybe $25-30 but after a few months they all stopped accepting those coupons. So there is a small family owned pharmacy in my town and I went there with my GoodRx coupon. They were like, “we don’t work with that company but it’s just $12 without the coupon.” Apparently CVS and these other big pharmacies are absolutely robbing people blind. 

I went bald slowly. Started trying to hide it a bit. Then got some clippers and cut it with a guard. Then no guard. Then balding clippers. Now I just throw some shaving cream on my head a few times a week in the shower and take a razor to it.

Embracing it is the best thing you can do. I really think that guys look pretty silly trying to hide it with hats and combovers and rugs and pills and whatever else. Just accept it and move on. Life is way easier that way.

It's sad that rogaine and propecia are still the best options going after 30 years. You would think at least one pharma company would have figured out a better treatment by now. There's always some promising new treatment that's a few years away but never sees the light of day. 

Rogaine works primarily for the crown of your head but once you stop using it, you'll lose any new grown hair. So you'll be a lifelong customer if you consider this option.  I wouldn't mess with Finasteride (Propecia) although that's another proven drug that helps stop hair loss.  Too many side effects for my comfort (sex stuff, etc).  

HIMS is just another niche retailer selling you stuff in a fancy package.
Giving it a go.  Flowing locks incoming.

As the guy who's been paying $70 a month for years at CVS until this thread pointed out I was being robbed, I'd say shop around.  I just got a 90 day supply from Costco mail order for under $9.  
I always thought that stuff was "to put a little lead in your pencil"

It's sad that rogaine and propecia are still the best options going after 30 years. You would think at least one pharma company would have figured out a better treatment by now. There's always some promising new treatment that's a few years away but never sees the light of day. 
You know what's really sad.   I'm hairy everywhere on my body except where I want to be.  

My hairline went into full retreat when I was 24 but somewhat stabilized maybe a year later. Always wondered what was up with that.

Giving it a go.  Flowing locks incoming.

Update?

I started taking it around the same time (Jan 15). I am Irish and have ridiculously thick and curly hair. The back of the head is fine but its been slowly receding at my temples. 

I got mild headaches at first so I just took them before bed and that went away. Had some pretty lucid dreams that were far out, maaaaaan! Both of those symptoms have gone away completely and it doesn't matter if I forgot to take my pill the night before, I can take it with my coffee and still no headaches. I went through a shedding stage around month 3 but that was expected. This is the older hairs falling out making room for the new hair. About 2 weeks ago I noticed new hair coming in. Its weird, they seem to go from "Is that a hair?" to about 5/8" long overnight. 

So far so good. I wish I had started this sooner and when I was keeping it short. I haven't cut my hair since 12/21 so my new hair has a lot catching up to do.  

My only issue with being bald is I end up with farmers head tan......

I always forget to take off my hat when out or put on enough lotion on my neck to not get tan.

So I end up with a sweet golfers tan on my head

My only issue with being bald is the upkeep to keep it bald. I started with receding hairline a few years back, so my toilet bowl still produces a lot of hair and shaving that 1-2 times a week is a more tedious task than getting hair cuts every 2-3 weeks back in the day.

Bald life lesson #1: Never and I mean never forget your hat if outside. 

My only issue with being bald is the upkeep to keep it bald. I started with receding hairline a few years back, so my toilet bowl still produces a lot of hair and shaving that 1-2 times a week is a more tedious task than getting hair cuts every 2-3 weeks back in the day.

Bald life lesson #1: Never and I mean never forget your hat if outside. 

Buy an electric skull shaver you can use in the shower.  A couple minutes in the shower every day makes it really easy.  If it gets longer that is when it starts to be a pain but if it is part of your regular morning routine it ends up pretty easy/quick.   

Buy an electric skull shaver you can use in the shower.  A couple minutes in the shower every day makes it really easy.  If it gets longer that is when it starts to be a pain but if it is part of your regular morning routine it ends up pretty easy/quick.   
These are key. Do some research, get a good waterproof one. 

When I got a spot developing out back in my late 30's, I went buzzers. I try and keep a little tan, a little color, and I keep a 5 o'clock shadow, because if I was cleanshaven, and British Isles pale, I look a little Aryan Nation. 

Update?

I started taking it around the same time (Jan 15). I am Irish and have ridiculously thick and curly hair. The back of the head is fine but its been slowly receding at my temples. 

I got mild headaches at first so I just took them before bed and that went away. Had some pretty lucid dreams that were far out, maaaaaan! Both of those symptoms have gone away completely and it doesn't matter if I forgot to take my pill the night before, I can take it with my coffee and still no headaches. I went through a shedding stage around month 3 but that was expected. This is the older hairs falling out making room for the new hair. About 2 weeks ago I noticed new hair coming in. Its weird, they seem to go from "Is that a hair?" to about 5/8" long overnight. 

So far so good. I wish I had started this sooner and when I was keeping it short. I haven't cut my hair since 12/21 so my new hair has a lot catching up to do.  
I've been on finasteride since 2015 and am still going strong. I've actually cut the dosage down to 0.5 mg with no reduction in effectiveness. 

I've been on finasteride since 2015 and am still going strong. I've actually cut the dosage down to 0.5 mg with no reduction in effectiveness. 

How much regrowth did you get and where? I kinda in the new hair growing phase it seems but im unsure what to expect. Im very happy with the results so far so if it gets even a little thinker than what I have Ill be ecstatic. 

I guess my question is, did all the new hair growth only happen within the first 3-6 months or did it continue for say a year and then the improvement stops? 

How much regrowth did you get and where? I kinda in the new hair growing phase it seems but im unsure what to expect. Im very happy with the results so far so if it gets even a little thinker than what I have Ill be ecstatic. 

I guess my question is, did all the new hair growth only happen within the first 3-6 months or did it continue for say a year and then the improvement stops? 
I was starting to thin badly at the crown. Over the years it's filled back in and I can tell my hair is slightly thicker towards the front too. The regrowth doesn't happen overnight, though. You might get a year of stabilization before you start seeing regrowth.

I was starting to thin badly at the crown. Over the years it's filled back in and I can tell my hair is slightly thicker towards the front too. The regrowth doesn't happen overnight, though. You might get a year of stabilization before you start seeing regrowth.

Oh wow, really? Maybe the "new hair" I was seeing is just the stuff that was shedding and not new growth. 

Oh wow, really? Maybe the "new hair" I was seeing is just the stuff that was shedding and not new growth. 
I've read that the follicles that are lost during the shedding stage might come in thicker upon regrowth, but I think most of the regrowth of new hair takes a while to build (if there are any at all). Assuming you're not experiencing a placebo affect, it sounds like you're off to a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might give this finasteride a shot.  I went buzz cut last year  but prefer the hair look even though its pretty thin up there.   Wouldn't mind just keeping what I've got.   

Update?

FLocks not flowing.  not sure if I posted that on the monoiodil or when I signed up for the HIMS pill.

Either way I was not consistent.  no results, but prop my fault.  need to be consistent

Users who are viewing this thread