What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (3 Viewers)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

From Wiki:

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a term that originated in the United States, referring to a perceived awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice.[1] It derives from the African-American Vernacular English expression stay woke, whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

First used in the 1940s, the term has resurfaced in recent years as a concept that symbolizes perceived awareness of social issues and movement. By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term associated with left-wing politics, progressive or socially liberal causes such as anti-racism, LGBT rights, feminism and environmentalism. It has also been the subject of memes, ironic usage and criticism for its methods and consequences.[2][3] Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter movement.[1][4]
Thanks. For better or worse, my perception had been way more in line with the wiki definition. 

I am for sure missing something.  

Annoying, yes.... 
I think his argument is that by labeling your child a boy or a girl that you are doing a huge disservice to the tiny % of kids that get misgendered. And since these kids commit suicide sometimes, seemingly something that would be avoided had their parents painted the room yellow instead of blue or pink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now they're going after Newton. 

At Harvard-Westlake high school in Los Angeles, "Newton's laws" are now called "the three fundamental laws of physics" in order to "decenter whiteness" from physics.

LINK

parasaurolophus said:
I think his argument is that by labeling your child a boy or a girl that you are doing a huge disservice to the tiny % of kids that get misgendered. And since these kids commit suicide sometimes, seemingly something that would be avoided had their parents painted the room yellow instead of blue or pink.
:lol:  Come on.   The kid's not even born yet FFS.  

How about the scene in Dumbo resembling a minstrel show?  What kid under 7 even knows what the hell a minstrel show is, never mind knowing that it is racist.
I just like how the descriltion for swiss family robinson was that the villaims were foreign pirates and it backed up stereotypes of foreign invaders and otherness. 

How about the scene in Dumbo resembling a minstrel show?  What kid under 7 even knows what the hell a minstrel show is, never mind knowing that it is racist.
If anything they need a warning for the trippy pink elephant scene.  That freaked my sister out when she was little. 

Takes a black mom to say the anti-racism curriculum being rolled out in schools is harmful 🤣...guess the white moms don't want to be canceled.

Las Vegas charter school sued for curriculum covering race, identity

When you are focused on getting your child the skills to compete in the global workforce this is exactly what you want to see:  In the fall, the school unveiled a new five-year strategic plan naming anti-racism as its top priority.

My boss absent mindedly mentioned a wife beater (ie white tank top) in a big zoom meeting the other day. When should I expect him to be fired?

Wonder if the offended people were ok when Bugs Bunny cross-dressed?
Maybe.  They might see is as mocking....or they might see it as refreshing that Bugs is expressing is inner self outwards. Looney Tunes is a weird one because it was my understanding they weren't exactly made for kids back in the day. It was only because they were put on as cartoons on the weekdays were they really pushed on kids. 

I think the point to be take though is that both sides hurt their narrative by outwardly expressing the desire to cancel stuff that noone really gives a #### about and being outraged when #### they don't care about is canceled/retooled/backburnered etc. etc.  Noone really gives a #### about Pepe LePew if they weren't reminded of Pepe LePew.  90%+ upwards of the people interested in the new Space Jam probably don't know about Pepe LePew......and the remaining people, after watching the movie (and not being made aware of the decision to not have Pepe LePew in the movie) would probably be like "Yeah....I wonder where Pepe LePew was?"

that sounds vaguely anecdotal.
Mincing words here.  Anecdotal would be running into a woman and having a bad experience and indicating that based on that data point women (a population of ~150M in the US) are bad.  She didn't conduct a double blinded study of her class of 30 students but we should probably feel confident in her ability to do basic math on a population of this size.

Mincing words here.  Anecdotal would be running into a woman and having a bad experience and indicating that based on that data point women (a population of ~150M in the US) are bad.  She didn't conduct a double blinded study of her class of 30 students but we should probably feel confident in her ability to do basic math on a population of this size.
"a lot of my lower ones are blacks" isn't exactly empirical data either.

"a lot of my lower ones are blacks" isn't exactly empirical data either.
She was commenting on her class.  She doesn't need empirical data to observe her classroom dynamic.  She was not using her class to extrapolate some broader conclusion on the performance of black students in America.  It was an observation to a colleague about outcomes in her classroom that were troubling her.

djmich said:
She was commenting on her class.  She doesn't need empirical data to observe her classroom dynamic.  She was not using her class to extrapolate some broader conclusion on the performance of black students in America.  It was an observation to a colleague about outcomes in her classroom that were troubling her.
I didn’t use the term “empirical data”

Users who are viewing this thread