What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rush Limbaugh - 2.17.21 R.I.P. (2 Viewers)

Seriously:  A lot of posters are very reasonable and I've had good conversations.  

Some of you can't wait to turn every thread into a "Trump bad thread."  There's more to life than Trump.  I think we'd all be better off if we could stop looking for every opportunity to turn the thread into "But Trump!!!"
Here's the thing I don't get.  The libs are supposed to be the party of forgiveness and inclusion.  Yet, they are the same guys that can't wait to pounce on someone any opportunity they get including the same day they pass away.  It's gross to read many of the comments in this thread.  

Like Rush or not he single handedly saved AM Radio in the country.  When he started his show AM was dying. FM was taking over.  Rush took the lowest rated time slot time at 12-3 and grew his show into the most listened to radio show in the world.

Like any host I agreed and diagreed with some of his takes.  One thing that I liked about Rush is that he always said despite flaws America was a most exceptional country to live in and had no issue repeating that over and over.  Of course America needs to work on the flaws he once said..but don`t dwell on them and appreciate what a great place this really is. Can we all improve?   Yes, and that can be said about any place in the world.   

As Nick Saban always says "Don`t let the rat poison get to you" when talking about "whoa is me and negativity."

Like Rush or not he single handedly saved AM Radio in the country.  When he started his show AM was dying. FM was taking over.  Rush took the lowest rated time slot time at 12-3 and grew his show into the most listened to radio show in the world.

Like any host I agreed and diagreed with some of his takes.  One thing that I liked about Rush is that he always said despite flaws America was a most exceptional country to live in and had no issue repeating that over and over.  Of course America needs to work on the flaws he once said..but don`t dwell on them and appreciate what a great place this really is. Can we all improve?   Yes, and that can be said about any place in the world.   

As Nick Saban always says "Don`t let the rat poison get to you" when talking about "whoa is me and negativity."
It’s not surprising that Rush felt that way about America. He never had to endure any of the hardships that those who are more critical of America are still fighting to overcome.  

A white christian male getting paid 10s of millions of dollars per year to cheerlead a mostly white male audience and minimize the voices of those who were suffering.  What did he have to complain about?  

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not surprising that Rush felt that way about America. He never had to endure any of the hardships that those who are more critical of America are still fighting to overcome.  

A white christian male getting paid 10s of millions of dollars per year to cheerlead a mostly white male audience and minimize the voices of those who were suffering.  What did he have to complain about?  
Regulations on oxycodone? I seem to recall his reaction to the death of Jerry Garcia - somebody who brought a whole lot more good to the world than he did - was that it was just another dead doper. Ironic.

Would have never thought this would turn into a thread on race and white previledge.   

white privilege!  white privilege!     

I can get behind treating the recently deceased with respect in public spaces.

But the Rush folks applying some sort of moral or ethical standard to people who don't agree with that when Rush didn't bother to live by it himself is kind 
Always disregard  everything  on the left of "but".

AM radio has been underrated in its influence. People listen for hours at work or in their car. And Rush was a leader in that influence.

Rush was fired from his first 3 radio jobs and ended up selling tickets for the KC Royals just for work when he came back to KC.

Rush took a small radio gig in Sacramento he was a nobody and built it into the biggest radio show in the world. 

But haters gonna hate.

Rush was fired from his first 3 radio jobs and ended up selling tickets for the KC Royals just for work when he came back to KC.

Rush took a small radio gig in Sacramento he was a nobody and built it into the biggest radio show in the world. 

But haters gonna hate.
White previledge!  The left throws the allegations around like candy with zero evidence enciting anger and violence.  

But haters gonna hate.
Oof!  That's gonna' sting for @tommyGunZ

I mean, he couldn't have been more wrong.  :doh:  

But haters gonna hate.
This can’t be true. He’s a white heterosexual male, he’s had it made his whole life according to some here ....

This is so uninformed.

It’s ####### disgusting

No matter whether one agrees with someone or not on something as stupid as politics.... maybe let his body get cold before pissing all over them?

And for the record, I’ve disagreed with Mr Limbaugh on basically everything
I agreed and disagreed with Rush. Many things were spot on, many were not. That being said I never listened to him that much.

Just heard on local radio today Paul W. Smith who is on WJR in Detroit a local station that if the weather is right you can pick up in Tennessee at times. Smith guest hosted for Rush many times and he said away from the show he never talked politics.  When they went out to dinner he said it was almost all family, sports, baseball, football, golf whatever but not much politics.

This thread sucks. I've noticed it on Twitter. Whole lot of left-wingers and do-gooders can't contain themselves and need indeed to shovel dirt on him before he's even in the grave. This is like the Scalia thread.

This is why, for all my disagreements with Trump and the new right, I'm sure glad I'm not the new left. Disgusting displays here today from the unexpected @timschochetthrough to the expected @dozer@Tom Skerritt @tommyGunZ. You guys really know how to how to be relentless in your criticism and expose yourselves for your cold-heartedness and small-mindedness, don't you? Typical.

These guys, besides tim, have been loud critics of me on the board and said some awful and jarring stuff, so it's no surprise. Like @General Malaise , they constantly personalize the political and make deep, personal traumas out of political sentiments and statements. Grow up, fellas. Life moves fast. Never know who will be speaking ill of your speaking ill when you're gone.

One of his friends and coworkers just said in an interview that Rush regularly reached out to help celebrities struggling with addiction, often people with divergent political views.

This thread sucks. I've noticed it on Twitter. Whole lot of left-wingers and do-gooders can't contain themselves and need indeed to shovel dirt on him before he's even in the grave. This is like the Scalia thread.

This is why, for all my disagreements with Trump and the new right, I'm sure glad I'm not the new left. Disgusting displays here today from the unexpected @timschochetthrough to the expected @dozer@Tom Skerritt @tommyGunZ. You guys really know how to how to be relentless in your criticism and expose yourselves for your cold-heartedness and small-mindedness, don't you? Typical.

These guys, besides tim, have been loud critics of me on the board and said some awful and jarring stuff, so it's no surprise. Like @General Malaise , they constantly personalize the political and make deep, personal traumas out of political sentiments and statements. Grow up, fellas. Life moves fast.
I knew what I’d find from which posters before opening the thread

Its freaking sad. I feel bad for these people 

I knew what I’d find from which posters before opening the thread

Its freaking sad. I feel bad for these people 
Well, you knew tim would talk so much -- and with his newfound anger -- that you knew that it was inevitable he would get to the bad stuff. The other guys, besides GM who had surprisingly had no bad words but who told personal anecdotes about the political (which figures) were pretty predictable in their ability to shovel the dirt on right quick. 

Here's the thing I don't get.  The libs are supposed to be the party of forgiveness and inclusion.  Yet, they are the same guys that can't wait to pounce on someone any opportunity they get including the same day they pass away.  It's gross to read many of the comments in this thread.  
That was your first mistake.  They are in no way, shape or form the party of forgiveness and inclusion.  The same way they keep saying they're the party of free speech - they ain't.

What they say and what they do are completely opposite.

Well, you knew tim would talk so much -- and with his newfound anger -- that you knew that it was inevitable he would get to the bad stuff. The other guys, besides GM who had surprisingly had no bad words but who told personal anecdotes about the political (which figures) were pretty predictable in their ability to shovel the dirt on right quick. 
This is spot on

I haven't listened for years either other than the random ten minutes here and there.

I don't believe at all that he's wholly the cause of America's schism. Partially? Yeah. But he absolutely articulated it. He was THE best at describing to people on the right what it was that they were feeling. And he did it in an infotainment way that people were willing to pay for.

Of course, those on the Left couldn't stand to see their ethos trashed in such manner. So it's little wonder that the reaction was and is so aggressive.

I haven't listened for years either other than the random ten minutes here and there.

I don't believe at all that he's wholly the cause of America's schism. Partially? Yeah. But he absolutely articulated it. He was THE best at describing to people on the right what it was that they were feeling. And he did it in an infotainment way that people were willing to pay for.

Of course, those on the Left couldn't stand to see their ethos trashed in such manner. So it's little wonder that the reaction was and is so aggressive.
Yeah, that wasn't it.

Subtle but accurate definition of trolling, IMO.

In 2016 Limbaugh was not a  Trump supporter saying he wished we had someone else and that Trump wasn’t conservative enough. Like the many GOP Senators who were at first very critical of Trump (Cruz, Graham etc), Limbaugh had an audience to please. It wasn’t going to be Democrats and there weren’t enough Never Trumpers

This describes me. I too wonder if Rush changed.  Or more likely, as I got older, I realized that Rush’s deception and oversimplification of complex issues was resulting in bad policy that negatively impacted millions. It was probably there all along, but until my mid-late 20s, I wasn’t able to see through the grift. 
I think he changed as his audience changed.  It may be hard to admit, but we’ve grown meaner.  All of us. We consume it.  To stay relevant he had to get meaner too.  

These guys, besides tim, have been loud critics of me on the board and said some awful and jarring stuff, so it's no surprise. Like @General Malaise , they constantly personalize the political and make deep, personal traumas out of political sentiments and statements. Grow up, fellas. Life moves fast. Never know who will be speaking ill of your speaking ill when you're gone.
What you just said about me is far worse than the single sentence that I contributed to this thread before this post.

:goodposting: Way to call it how it is. 

Look, I wouldn't be doing this but for the Scalia thread. The right always gives the left's dead wide berths around here, while the left on this board, including almost everybody, decides that death is the occasion to pick one last grievance with that person in the news. Perhaps we're just automatons and can't help our reflexive conditioning to the emotion of hearing about a person. I'd say that one side in particular needs to really look at itself and think about how divisive in a way their own policies and attitudes are, and not comment so much on the divisiveness of a person, but rather stress the decent quality that most people try to embody in life. I mean, Scalia's thread was an embarrassment and a joke on this board, and this one was quickly becoming the same. Were the men saints? No. Were they Hitlers or Zedongs or Stalins? No. Proceed accordingly.

Look, I wouldn't be doing this but for the Scalia thread. The right always gives the left's dead wide berths around here, while the left on this board, including almost everybody, decides that death is the occasion to pick one last grievance with that person in the news. Perhaps we're just automatons and can't help our reflexive conditioning to the emotion of hearing about a person. I'd say that one side in particular needs to really look at itself and think about how divisive in a way their own policies and attitudes are, and not comment so much on the divisiveness of a person, but rather stress the decent quality that most people try to embody in life. I mean, Scalia's thread was an embarrassment and a joke on this board, and this one was quickly becoming the same. Were the men saints? No. Were they Hitlers or Zedongs or Stalins? No. Proceed accordingly.
That thread was a disgrace made by the usual suspects, for sure.

My sympathies to any of you guys that were regular Rush listeners.  I know when you listen to someone on the radio for a long time it becomes almost like a personal relationship.  Losing someone like that can feel like losing a friend.

In 2016 Limbaugh was not a  Trump supporter saying he wished we had someone else and that Trump wasn’t conservative enough. Like the many GOP Senators who were at first very critical of Trump (Cruz, Graham etc), Limbaugh had an audience to please. It wasn’t going to be Democrats and there weren’t enough Never Trumpers
Not sure but maybe because Trump was a Democrat most of his life and hung out with the Clintons and the NY elites. Trump was loved by the Dems before he switched parties.

My sympathies to any of you guys that were regular Rush listeners.  I know when you listen to someone on the radio for a long time it becomes almost like a personal relationship.  Losing someone like that can feel like losing a friend.
I know what you mean.  As someone who loved listening to AM radio, on an actual radio, it’s sad to lose Larry King and Rush almost a month apart.  The two were on different sides of the political spectrum but I loved listening to both.  It’s such a great medium and I really miss it.  Even the crackling of the radio...  I might have to go out and buy a radio.  Do they still make them? 😆

Nicely articulated.  If a paragon of the left, say Bernie, passed, the thread would be a ton classier - no grenade droppers.  I'm profoundly disappointed by some of the behavior in here.

For those on the left, try viewing Rush like I do Mario Lemieux.  As a huge Rangers fan I cheered against him every game against us I watched.  But man, I could appreciate the way he played.  Guy was a virtuoso, just like Rush.

(Disclaimer:  I like Bernie and hope he stays healthy and happy.  He was just a good example to use.)

Hopefully everyone learns to emulate the grace and Christian ethos you demonstrated in this post.

Condolences to the Limbaugh family.  Cancer sucks.

What'd I do in here that you don't like, Officer Roc? 

What'd I do in here that you don't like, Officer Roc? 
Nothing, Citizen Malaise. I was just more thinking about your added response in the woke thread today. I decided that this was a better place to respond because everybody is getting so darn personal about Rush that it seemed appropriate to leave my musings here.

Users who are viewing this thread