What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made.... (1 Viewer)

Well at least with more interest they might actually be scarce. It's crazy watching some of the how to videos on YouTube from last month when you could just go in and buy them lol. 

facook said:
I will be hugely skeptical until someone cashes out successfully and we hear about it.

But the FOMO is very real, which is in my opinion is driving this value skyrocket in the same way it has with BTC recently.
I was thinking the same thing.  It's nice to see that big shiny increase in value, but what's the use if I can't cash out?

There is a que open right now.  If you want a pack, everyone in line gets one.  Will take 2 weeks to get but at least they realized it'd be better if everyone could get at least 1 pack.

$9. 3 moments.  Going to wait a while.  Iwas #36000 and ive only dropped to 32000 in an hour.  Que open til 2pst

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a que open right now.  If you want a pack, everyone in line gets one.  Will take 2 weeks to get but at least they realized it'd be better if everyone could get at least 1 pack.

$9. 3 moments.  Going to wait a while.  Iwas #36000 and ive only dropped to 32000 in an hour.  Que open til 2pst
This whole thing is a mess. Paused again. I thought blockchains were supposed to be good at this type of thing....

Well that was an adventure. That website is a train wreck. 

Chase wouldn't authorize the transaction....I then tried to explain to the foreign representative what it was I was trying to buy :lmao:  . BOA went through fine.

So, I just took out a second mortgage and borrowed on my daughter's college fund.

How do I buy these things now?
So in all seriousness, I can't even sign up for the website now or purchase anything in the marketplace.  Seems like the website is in gridlock.

Got lucky and got assigned around 14,000 in line.  I got the base pack last weekend so this is only my 2nd set.  I'm not sure I fully understand the value yet, but am just trying to accumulate as many packs as I can until I do.  🙂  I've spent $23 so far (no marketplace purchases) and and just hope what I have is already worth more than that.

Says my most notable card is a Mason Plumlee dunk because it's #34 out of 35,000.  Wish I knew who that was.  🤣

Got lucky and got assigned around 14,000 in line.  I got the base pack last weekend so this is only my 2nd set.  I'm not sure I fully understand the value yet, but am just trying to accumulate as many packs as I can until I do.  🙂  I've spent $23 so far (no marketplace purchases) and and just hope what I have is already worth more than that.

Says my most notable card is a Mason Plumlee dunk because it's #34 out of 35,000.  Wish I knew who that was.  🤣
He is a tall goofy white American. Probably not going to jump in value too much just based on that alone.

Got a pack this AM. 

I'm not opening my packs. :unsure:  
Nice, that's probably the shark move.  Since the Base Pack from last weekend is still on Pre-Order, this was really the first pack I've been able to open.  It's so in your face to open and reveal them, I just followed along.  I'll probably take your strategy on some in the future though!

He is a tall goofy white American. Probably not going to jump in value too much just based on that alone.
That's not how this works unfortunately. lol He got a double digit serial number, which in this world, seems to command a premium. Like some of the others said, though, I'm not sinking too much into this until I see that people can cash out successfully. I've bought one moment on the market place and the guaranteed pre-order pack last week, so I'm only in for about $35 so far. 

I just don't get it, but I don't think I'm supposed to.

A fool and his money...

They were talking about this on talk radio, one of the hosts was able to get a pack so he "opened" it on the air.  They said the NBA should also come out with "Bottom Shots" were it is highlights of missed layups, blown dunks, horrible turnovers, bad timeout calls by coaches...

Honestly, those decrying this and cryptocurrency forget one important thing; all money nowadays is either paper or electronic record with no assets to back it up.  It is simply an accepted medium of exchange.  Fiat currency is a house of cards that we all simply hold up together.

Honestly, those decrying this and cryptocurrency forget one important thing; all money nowadays is either paper or electronic record with no assets to back it up.  It is simply an accepted medium of exchange.  Fiat currency is a house of cards that we all simply hold up together.
Yeah I'm pretty much sick of explaining it to people. The same arguments have been used to bash bitcoin since it was under $1. We all know how that's turned out...

I understand that, understand Bitcoin and own Bitcoin. If you just want to say that this has value because a bunch of people attach value to it, that’s fine but also doesn’t mean they will continue to do so in the future.

But you can’t just yell blockchain at me as the reason why a widely available video of Mason Plumlee making a layup has value. There are plenty of worthless crypto assets. 

I understand that, understand Bitcoin and own Bitcoin. If you just want to say that this has value because a bunch of people attach value to it, that’s fine but also doesn’t mean they will continue to do so in the future.

But you can’t just yell blockchain at me as the reason why a widely available video of Mason Plumlee making a layup has value. There are plenty of worthless crypto assets. 
Like ANY asset, collectibles in particular, it's worth what someone will give you for it. People are giving money for these right now, so they are valuable. Will it hold value? Who knows. Can we cash out, who knows. But it's no less valuable than the money I have on some friggin' foreign crypto exchange a couple years ago that I'm pretty sure i can't cash out at this point :lol:  

Comparing this to cryptocurrency doesn’t make sense IMO. Things have value for two reasons (sometimes things can be valuable for both reasons): 1) something intrinsically gives us happiness or contentment 2) something has utility in being used to get us something from category 1. Obviously supply and demand of those items plays a role in value, but ultimately it comes down to how much people in general are willing to sacrifice because of the happiness they believe a certain thing will ultimately bring them.

The US dollar has value because you can easily exchange it for items that bring you happiness. Most US currency has no intrinsic value but some special/rare coins give some people happiness because of their rarity and unusualness.

Gold has both intrinsic and utilitarian value. It’s pretty to look at, has desirable properties for all sorts of uses, and due to a lot of those properties it was long useful for exchanging for other items that brought happiness.

Cryptocurrency has no intrinsic value, but has utilitarian value with properties that could make it very useful in trying to obtain items with intrinsic value.

Many collectibles have value mostly because they remind people of childhood or, in the case of art/literature/etc, they bring happiness to people to look at, read, listen to, etc or they represent achievements or knowledge. At the highest ends of things, such as insane art prices or sports cards going for a million dollars, often times it seems more like happiness gained from showing off, or creative accounting.

So the question for everyone spending money on these Top Shot moments is: how much happiness do you think these moments are going to ultimately give people collectively?

The second question, and maybe sub-question of the first question: how many people spending now are doing so because they believe that these will intrinsically give them the amount of happiness worth what they are spending, versus how many people see these as utilitarian because they believe they can flip them for more money to someone else that values them intrinsically for even more than they paid?

So there is a pack drop in about two hours--how do I get in line for this? Do they open it "x" amount of time in advance or do you just keep hitting refresh? 

So there is a pack drop in about two hours--how do I get in line for this? Do they open it "x" amount of time in advance or do you just keep hitting refresh? 
Right at time, or just before, they'll open the "queue" and you'll be able to enter the waiting room. There will be a timer. When the timer expires, the "line" will form and it will tell you what number you are in line. 

Right at time, or just before, they'll open the "queue" and you'll be able to enter the waiting room. There will be a timer. When the timer expires, the "line" will form and it will tell you what number you are in line. 
Do you have to deposit money in order to get in line?  Or only once you actually get a pack?

Do you have to deposit money in order to get in line?  Or only once you actually get a pack?
I think it only takes you to the checkout once it's your turn (once your number is up in the line). I had the $ pre-loaded when I did the pre-order pack, so I wouldn't have to wait for it to load. I think you have 15 minutes once it's your turn in line to complete your purchase. As slow as their website gets, I didn't want to chance it once it was my turn, so went ahead and funded my account ahead of time. 

You can wait until you are checking out.  At checkout you can either purchase with your dapper balance, with a credit card, or with crypto.  Depositing money ahead of time merely moves it into your dapper balance from either a credit card or crypto.

so you can sell unopened packs on the marketplace as well? 
Not yet, but they said they are planning to add that.  I still have two unopened packs I've been holding for that.  Wish I had gotten in on this in time for series 1 I bet those packs will sell for a fortune once they add that functionality.

One interesting wrinkle with unopened packs compared to unopened packs of traditional trading cards is that all pack data is public (you can look it up on evaluate.market), so everyone knows which cards are in packs that have not yet been opened.  So if there is a valuable card that has not yet been opened that could drive up the price of the remaining unopened packs.

No but I'd advise to keep multiple payment methods handy. 

My recent experience:

-Chase declines my payment attempt. (You have a few minute window to complete Top Shot purchase)

Me: (calling Chase) "00000000000000. Agent. 00000000. AGENT. 00000000000"

Rep: "Thank you for calling Chase"

Me: "Hello, can you see my purchase was rejected"

Rep: "I show cryptocurrency transaction"

Me: "I'm trying to purchase cards"

Rep: "Ah, What kind of cards?"

Me: "Sports Cards"

Rep: (dumbfounded) "Hmmm, Sports Cards?!?!?"

Me: (now equally dumbfounded) "Yes, Sports Cards. Like Michael Jordan. Basketball. Dunk. But a Video card."

Rep: "Video?!?!"

Me: "Yes like Youtube"

Rep: "Ah yes, YOUTUBE!!!"

Me: (now excited seemingly making process) "YES YOUTUBE!!!!"

Rep: "Ah so sorry, no can complete transaction. Chase policy cryptocurrency"

Me: (rushing to BOA card at this point) Oh, ok. Thank you.

Okay, well that was pretty cool, if nothing but to see my teenager daughter counting down with me to see if I got a pack.

I got a Plumlee dunk. A Jaylen Brown pretty cool dunk and a lower numbered Luka spin in the lane layup. 

I am hooked. Do people contact you if they are interested in buying or do you have to put them out there to sell?

I am a huge card collector, so I can see the allure of collecting these. 

That was fun!! 

Any talks of this going towards other sports?

A Jason Belmonte clutch 10th frame turkey highlight could go for millions.

Courtjester said:
Okay, well that was pretty cool, if nothing but to see my teenager daughter counting down with me to see if I got a pack.

I got a Plumlee dunk. A Jaylen Brown pretty cool dunk and a lower numbered Luka spin in the lane layup. 

I am hooked. Do people contact you if they are interested in buying or do you have to put them out there to sell?

I am a huge card collector, so I can see the allure of collecting these. 

That was fun!! 
You did better than I did I think! I got a Kawhi Seeing Stars dunk /10K  and then base set Julius Randle layup and Thaddeus Young dunk. 

I think you have to list them for sale on the marketplace. I will let you know, as I will be putting all of these up for sale. I basically just got this pack as a test to see how the interface works. I never have good pack luck. :sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread