Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NBA Top Shot Thread - kind of like sports card + crypto, seems money to be made....


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pretty stoked with my pack.  Got Ben Simmons 3 Pointer. #1/4.

Got my first pack.  I am surprised that people are willing to pay over 50% the cost of a pack in order to buy a common.  So I sold off 2 commons to pay for the pack.  Still have a regular Curry and co

Got one. Steph curry rare all star Giannis common Ja morant LE That steph started out around $5k now $1750

4 minutes ago, Peyton Marino said:

the website is ###

They're getting hammered today because they had a special run of packs coming out ($99 limited runs). They stated there was bot activity affecting the server so they postponed till at least tomorrow (Friday) morning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 11:43 AM, fruity pebbles said:

Be one thing if they were a fun little thing selling for sub 100 bucks but some of the original ones are north of a 100 grand. Not sure if they have actually sold for that or if the markets manipulated to make them look more valuable than they are. I know it’s nearly impossible to cash out right now. 

I will be hugely skeptical until someone cashes out successfully and we hear about it.

But the FOMO is very real, which is in my opinion is driving this value skyrocket in the same way it has with BTC recently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10,631 packs available

175,000 people in line

Quote

Number of users in line ahead of you: 36445

:sadbanana:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at least with more interest they might actually be scarce. It's crazy watching some of the how to videos on YouTube from last month when you could just go in and buy them lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, facook said:

I will be hugely skeptical until someone cashes out successfully and we hear about it.

But the FOMO is very real, which is in my opinion is driving this value skyrocket in the same way it has with BTC recently.

I was thinking the same thing.  It's nice to see that big shiny increase in value, but what's the use if I can't cash out?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a que open right now.  If you want a pack, everyone in line gets one.  Will take 2 weeks to get but at least they realized it'd be better if everyone could get at least 1 pack.

$9. 3 moments.  Going to wait a while.  Iwas #36000 and ive only dropped to 32000 in an hour.  Que open til 2pst

Edited by SpurrierisisGod
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SpurrierisisGod said:

There is a que open right now.  If you want a pack, everyone in line gets one.  Will take 2 weeks to get but at least they realized it'd be better if everyone could get at least 1 pack.

$9. 3 moments.  Going to wait a while.  Iwas #36000 and ive only dropped to 32000 in an hour.  Que open til 2pst

This whole thing is a mess. Paused again. I thought blockchains were supposed to be good at this type of thing....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Number of users in line ahead of you: 102999 (61,086 packs available for this time slot) :wall: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I just took out a second mortgage and borrowed on my daughter's college fund.

How do I buy these things now?

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

So, I just took out a second mortgage and borrowed on my daughter's college fund.

How do I buy these things now?

So in all seriousness, I can't even sign up for the website now or purchase anything in the marketplace.  Seems like the website is in gridlock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

So in all seriousness, I can't even sign up for the website now or purchase anything in the marketplace.  Seems like the website is in gridlock.

They lock it down when there is a pack drop in progress

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got lucky and got assigned around 14,000 in line.  I got the base pack last weekend so this is only my 2nd set.  I'm not sure I fully understand the value yet, but am just trying to accumulate as many packs as I can until I do.  🙂  I've spent $23 so far (no marketplace purchases) and and just hope what I have is already worth more than that.

Says my most notable card is a Mason Plumlee dunk because it's #34 out of 35,000.  Wish I knew who that was.  🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Guinis72 said:

Got lucky and got assigned around 14,000 in line.  I got the base pack last weekend so this is only my 2nd set.  I'm not sure I fully understand the value yet, but am just trying to accumulate as many packs as I can until I do.  🙂  I've spent $23 so far (no marketplace purchases) and and just hope what I have is already worth more than that.

Says my most notable card is a Mason Plumlee dunk because it's #34 out of 35,000.  Wish I knew who that was.  🤣

He is a tall goofy white American. Probably not going to jump in value too much just based on that alone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Got a pack this AM. 

I'm not opening my packs. :unsure: 

Nice, that's probably the shark move.  Since the Base Pack from last weekend is still on Pre-Order, this was really the first pack I've been able to open.  It's so in your face to open and reveal them, I just followed along.  I'll probably take your strategy on some in the future though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

He is a tall goofy white American. Probably not going to jump in value too much just based on that alone.

That's not how this works unfortunately. lol He got a double digit serial number, which in this world, seems to command a premium. Like some of the others said, though, I'm not sinking too much into this until I see that people can cash out successfully. I've bought one moment on the market place and the guaranteed pre-order pack last week, so I'm only in for about $35 so far. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

so you can sell unopened packs on the marketplace as well? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They were talking about this on talk radio, one of the hosts was able to get a pack so he "opened" it on the air.  They said the NBA should also come out with "Bottom Shots" were it is highlights of missed layups, blown dunks, horrible turnovers, bad timeout calls by coaches...

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

This is a thing you paid money for?

$14 for the pack. We'll have to see how much these go for I'm not going to lose money lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR69 said:

$14 for the pack. We'll have to see how much these go for I'm not going to lose money lol. 

Truly a baffling concept to me. I must be going insane. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Capella said:
1 hour ago, CR69 said:

I got one today as well. This was my seeing stars moment, other ones were trash - https://www.nbatopshot.com/moment/CR69+5bb0af20-8f94-4dd1-8996-c67144c6b2ff

This is a thing you paid money for?

I just took a video of it with my phone, so I have it too.  But for free!!!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, those decrying this and cryptocurrency forget one important thing; all money nowadays is either paper or electronic record with no assets to back it up.  It is simply an accepted medium of exchange.  Fiat currency is a house of cards that we all simply hold up together.

Edited by Jayrod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Honestly, those decrying this and cryptocurrency forget one important thing; all money nowadays is either paper or electronic record with no assets to back it up.  It is simply an accepted medium of exchange.  Fiat currency is a house of cards that we all simply hold up together.

Yeah I'm pretty much sick of explaining it to people. The same arguments have been used to bash bitcoin since it was under $1. We all know how that's turned out...

Link to post
Share on other sites

AIR BALL!

The page you’re looking for can’t be found. Let’s try this again, shall we?

2 hours ago, CR69 said:

I got one today as well. This was my seeing stars moment, other ones were trash - https://www.nbatopshot.com/moment/CR69+5bb0af20-8f94-4dd1-8996-c67144c6b2ff

I'm conflicted on keeping other packs unopened or just trying to sell what I can and roll the funds into more limited moments which I think will have the best shot a value in the future. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Honestly, those decrying this and cryptocurrency forget one important thing; all money nowadays is either paper or electronic record with no assets to back it up.  It is simply an accepted medium of exchange.  Fiat currency is a house of cards that we all simply hold up together.

I understand that, understand Bitcoin and own Bitcoin. If you just want to say that this has value because a bunch of people attach value to it, that’s fine but also doesn’t mean they will continue to do so in the future.

But you can’t just yell blockchain at me as the reason why a widely available video of Mason Plumlee making a layup has value. There are plenty of worthless crypto assets. 

Edited by Capella
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Truly a baffling concept to me. I must be going insane. 

I don't get it either, but I bought a pack for $14 and sold a Nikola Jokic highlight for $288 just now. I mean, I can't get that money out yet, but what if I could!?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Capella said:

I understand that, understand Bitcoin and own Bitcoin. If you just want to say that this has value because a bunch of people attach value to it, that’s fine but also doesn’t mean they will continue to do so in the future.

But you can’t just yell blockchain at me as the reason why a widely available video of Mason Plumlee making a layup has value. There are plenty of worthless crypto assets. 

Like ANY asset, collectibles in particular, it's worth what someone will give you for it. People are giving money for these right now, so they are valuable. Will it hold value? Who knows. Can we cash out, who knows. But it's no less valuable than the money I have on some friggin' foreign crypto exchange a couple years ago that I'm pretty sure i can't cash out at this point :lol: 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

Honestly, those decrying this and cryptocurrency forget one important thing; all money nowadays is either paper or electronic record with no assets to back it up.  It is simply an accepted medium of exchange.  Fiat currency is a house of cards that we all simply hold up together.

Comparing this to cryptocurrency doesn’t make sense IMO. Things have value for two reasons (sometimes things can be valuable for both reasons): 1) something intrinsically gives us happiness or contentment 2) something has utility in being used to get us something from category 1. Obviously supply and demand of those items plays a role in value, but ultimately it comes down to how much people in general are willing to sacrifice because of the happiness they believe a certain thing will ultimately bring them.

The US dollar has value because you can easily exchange it for items that bring you happiness. Most US currency has no intrinsic value but some special/rare coins give some people happiness because of their rarity and unusualness.

Gold has both intrinsic and utilitarian value. It’s pretty to look at, has desirable properties for all sorts of uses, and due to a lot of those properties it was long useful for exchanging for other items that brought happiness.

Cryptocurrency has no intrinsic value, but has utilitarian value with properties that could make it very useful in trying to obtain items with intrinsic value.

Many collectibles have value mostly because they remind people of childhood or, in the case of art/literature/etc, they bring happiness to people to look at, read, listen to, etc or they represent achievements or knowledge. At the highest ends of things, such as insane art prices or sports cards going for a million dollars, often times it seems more like happiness gained from showing off, or creative accounting.

So the question for everyone spending money on these Top Shot moments is: how much happiness do you think these moments are going to ultimately give people collectively?
 

The second question, and maybe sub-question of the first question: how many people spending now are doing so because they believe that these will intrinsically give them the amount of happiness worth what they are spending, versus how many people see these as utilitarian because they believe they can flip them for more money to someone else that values them intrinsically for even more than they paid?

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

So there is a pack drop in about two hours--how do I get in line for this? Do they open it "x" amount of time in advance or do you just keep hitting refresh? 

Right at time, or just before, they'll open the "queue" and you'll be able to enter the waiting room. There will be a timer. When the timer expires, the "line" will form and it will tell you what number you are in line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Right at time, or just before, they'll open the "queue" and you'll be able to enter the waiting room. There will be a timer. When the timer expires, the "line" will form and it will tell you what number you are in line. 

Do you have to deposit money in order to get in line?  Or only once you actually get a pack?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, facook said:

Do you have to deposit money in order to get in line?  Or only once you actually get a pack?

I think it only takes you to the checkout once it's your turn (once your number is up in the line). I had the $ pre-loaded when I did the pre-order pack, so I wouldn't have to wait for it to load. I think you have 15 minutes once it's your turn in line to complete your purchase. As slow as their website gets, I didn't want to chance it once it was my turn, so went ahead and funded my account ahead of time. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, facook said:

Do you have to deposit money in order to get in line?  Or only once you actually get a pack?

You can wait until you are checking out.  At checkout you can either purchase with your dapper balance, with a credit card, or with crypto.  Depositing money ahead of time merely moves it into your dapper balance from either a credit card or crypto.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

so you can sell unopened packs on the marketplace as well? 

Not yet, but they said they are planning to add that.  I still have two unopened packs I've been holding for that.  Wish I had gotten in on this in time for series 1 I bet those packs will sell for a fortune once they add that functionality.

One interesting wrinkle with unopened packs compared to unopened packs of traditional trading cards is that all pack data is public (you can look it up on evaluate.market), so everyone knows which cards are in packs that have not yet been opened.  So if there is a valuable card that has not yet been opened that could drive up the price of the remaining unopened packs.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, facook said:

Do you have to deposit money in order to get in line?  Or only once you actually get a pack?

No but I'd advise to keep multiple payment methods handy. 

My recent experience:

-Chase declines my payment attempt. (You have a few minute window to complete Top Shot purchase)

Me: (calling Chase) "00000000000000. Agent. 00000000. AGENT. 00000000000"

Rep: "Thank you for calling Chase"

Me: "Hello, can you see my purchase was rejected"

Rep: "I show cryptocurrency transaction"

Me: "I'm trying to purchase cards"

Rep: "Ah, What kind of cards?"

Me: "Sports Cards"

Rep: (dumbfounded) "Hmmm, Sports Cards?!?!?"

Me: (now equally dumbfounded) "Yes, Sports Cards. Like Michael Jordan. Basketball. Dunk. But a Video card."

Rep: "Video?!?!"

Me: "Yes like Youtube"

Rep: "Ah yes, YOUTUBE!!!"

Me: (now excited seemingly making process) "YES YOUTUBE!!!!"

Rep: "Ah so sorry, no can complete transaction. Chase policy cryptocurrency"

Me: (rushing to BOA card at this point) Oh, ok. Thank you.

 

  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, well that was pretty cool, if nothing but to see my teenager daughter counting down with me to see if I got a pack.

I got a Plumlee dunk. A Jaylen Brown pretty cool dunk and a lower numbered Luka spin in the lane layup. 

I am hooked. Do people contact you if they are interested in buying or do you have to put them out there to sell?

I am a huge card collector, so I can see the allure of collecting these. 

That was fun!! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Any talks of this going towards other sports?

A Jason Belmonte clutch 10th frame turkey highlight could go for millions.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member


×
×
  • Create New...