What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gov. Whitmer thread. (1 Viewer)

100% false.  She used the health department to shut things down after the courts ruled on her over using her authority.  So that's not it at all.

She's not closing things because Trump is no longer in office.  At least that's a significant contributor.  She can't blame him now, which she did constantly back in the fall of last year.  I know you guys won't agree with me on this one but I believe it 100%...Whitmer is unbelievably partisan and I think she shut things down, especially in the fall of last year, to hurt Trump's re-election bid.  
I don’t know where you are in Mich, but that was the big talking point here in Berrien County.  

She had a lot of support there.  Idk if she still does.  She was always pretty despised here.
KInda how the state is broken up.   Very democratic on the east side, much less so west side.  East side is highly african american of course, which contributes to the democratc base.

Have no idea.  Some school of thought is that Michigan was locked down too long.   Ohio and Indiana have been almost fully open months before Michigan and their numbers are much lower.
What is the thinking with this? That people are just fed up and have resorted to terrible distancing and non masked behaviors?

What is the thinking with this? That people are just fed up and have resorted to terrible distancing and non masked behaviors?
People are fed up..But I think thats a national mindset.   Again, from my chair...masking and social distancing has been pretty OK in the areas in metro Detroit I frequent.

KInda how the state is broken up.   Very democratic on the east side, much less so west side.  East side is highly african american of course, which contributes to the democratc base.
I’m over by New Buffalo, basically Chicago.  We may convert to a blue county in the next election, just depends if Benton Harbor turns out to vote.  Of course all the Chicago people who moved here are big libs.  

The thinking would be that our goal is to achieve herd immunity, and there are two ways to do that:

1) Be exposed to the virus.

2)  Get vaccinated.

The thinking is that the state was too locked down, preventing any amount of herd immunity due to virus exposure from happening.  Therefore, now that things are opened up more people are getting the virus because they weren't exposed to it previously compared to other states that didn't lock down as much.

Whitmer in hot water again.

When Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was outed last month for a secretive trip to Florida in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, her office claimed Michigan taxpayers did not foot the bill.

What they did not tell us, however, is that Whitmer asked a group of wealthy Detroit businessmen to provide a private plane they own.

Those businessmen have major dealings in and with the state of Michigan.

“We wondered why she reached out to us instead of booking a private charter,” said one of the plane's owners, who exchanged his candor for confidentiality. “You can't tell a governor no. Who needs that kind of trouble?”

Had Whitmer booked a round trip flight from Lansing to West Palm Beach through a private charter company, it would likely have cost $10,000 to $20,000, or a whopping $40,000 for the actual jet she took, according to private jet websites. The latter is more than 25 percent of the governor's salary -- before taxes.

► Update: Whitmer was asked about this column during a Thursday morning event in Clare. "I've said everything I'm going to say about my trip to check on my father," she told WWTV reporter Eric Lloyd, he tweets. "I've got nothing to add.

"We don't discuss my travel. 

“Whitmer said she was going to see her sick father who lives on the ocean in Florida over spring break, but that's not a legitimate political expenditure,” said Adolph Mongo of Detroit, a political consultant. “What it is, is a political favor. She asked fo. She got on their plane. Now she owes them one.”

Whitmer's office did not respond to those questions.

The governor spent four full days in Florida – not two as her handlers insist. 

Gulfstream G-280 

She flew on the businessmen's Gulfstream G-280 twin jet. It was cold and clear on the morning of March 12 when she lifted off from Lansing and it was warm and sunny when she touched down in West Palm Beach at 9:37 a.m., federal flight records show.

She left West Palm Beach on Monday March 15 at 4:37 p.m. She touched down at 7:01 p.m in Lansing.

Two weeks after returning, Whitmer instructed Michiganders to stay away from Florida because of a raging U.K. Covid variant there. Two top health officials went anyway, while Covid was surging in Michigan.

To this day, Whitmer and her staff have refused to provide any details of the Florida trip, citing “ongoing security concerns.” In fact, in a statement, they don't even mention Florida, only that she left the state "to assist her elderly father who is battling a chronic illness."

Richard E. Whitmer (Photo: UM Law School)

"Governor Whitmer lied about her trip to Florida and is compounding her lies by refusing to disclose the cost of the private plane she used, if she paid for her personal trip, and what the fair market value of that payment was," Jason Roe, executive director of the Michigan Republican Party, said in a statement.

"She ran a campaign based on transparency (her so-called Sunshine Plan) but has been the most opaque governor in Michigan history. I guess by 'sunshine' she meant the Sunshine State."

Whitmer's office did not reach out to the Florida officials or state police to inform them of her arrival, which is customary security protocol, Deadline Detroit has learned.

As for her father **** Whitmer, who was described in a press release as chronically ill and in failing health and thus the reason for Whitmer's trip?

Whitmers father **** appears to have made a miraculous comeback. Great Lakes News, a website that is often critical of Whitmer, and is also a statewide radio network with 35-plus affiliates, reported last week that her father was seen the week after in the parking lot of a Lansing-area mall, getting into a brand new Tesla. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whitmer in hot water again.

When Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was outed last month for a secretive trip to Florida in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, her office claimed Michigan taxpayers did not foot the bill.

What they did not tell us, however, is that Whitmer asked a group of wealthy Detroit businessmen to provide a private plane they own.

Those businessmen have major dealings in and with the state of Michigan.

“We wondered why she reached out to us instead of booking a private charter,” said one of the plane's owners, who exchanged his candor for confidentiality. “You can't tell a governor no. Who needs that kind of trouble?”

Had Whitmer booked a round trip flight from Lansing to West Palm Beach through a private charter company, it would likely have cost $10,000 to $20,000, or a whopping $40,000 for the actual jet she took, according to private jet websites. The latter is more than 25 percent of the governor's salary -- before taxes.

► Update: Whitmer was asked about this column during a Thursday morning event in Clare. "I've said everything I'm going to say about my trip to check on my father," she told WWTV reporter Eric Lloyd, he tweets. "I've got nothing to add.

"We don't discuss my travel. 

“Whitmer said she was going to see her sick father who lives on the ocean in Florida over spring break, but that's not a legitimate political expenditure,” said Adolph Mongo of Detroit, a political consultant. “What it is, is a political favor. She asked fo. She got on their plane. Now she owes them one.”

Whitmer's office did not respond to those questions.

The governor spent four full days in Florida – not two as her handlers insist. 

Gulfstream G-280 

She flew on the businessmen's Gulfstream G-280 twin jet. It was cold and clear on the morning of March 12 when she lifted off from Lansing and it was warm and sunny when she touched down in West Palm Beach at 9:37 a.m., federal flight records show.

She left West Palm Beach on Monday March 15 at 4:37 p.m. She touched down at 7:01 p.m in Lansing.

Two weeks after returning, Whitmer instructed Michiganders to stay away from Florida because of a raging U.K. Covid variant there. Two top health officials went anyway, while Covid was surging in Michigan.

To this day, Whitmer and her staff have refused to provide any details of the Florida trip, citing “ongoing security concerns.” In fact, in a statement, they don't even mention Florida, only that she left the state "to assist her elderly father who is battling a chronic illness."

Richard E. Whitmer (Photo: UM Law School)

"Governor Whitmer lied about her trip to Florida and is compounding her lies by refusing to disclose the cost of the private plane she used, if she paid for her personal trip, and what the fair market value of that payment was," Jason Roe, executive director of the Michigan Republican Party, said in a statement.

"She ran a campaign based on transparency (her so-called Sunshine Plan) but has been the most opaque governor in Michigan history. I guess by 'sunshine' she meant the Sunshine State."

Whitmer's office did not reach out to the Florida officials or state police to inform them of her arrival, which is customary security protocol, Deadline Detroit has learned.

As for her father **** Whitmer, who was described in a press release as chronically ill and in failing health and thus the reason for Whitmer's trip?

Whitmers father **** appears to have made a miraculous comeback. Great Lakes News, a website that is often critical of Whitmer, and is also a statewide radio network with 35-plus affiliates, reported last week that her father was seen the week after in the parking lot of a Lansing-area mall, getting into a brand new Tesla. 
Then to top it off, she claims she won't discuss her travel plans, due to fear from the folks who are accused of plotting to kidnap her.  Awful use of that to try and deflect from her garbage. Shes a horrible person.

Bad news, Popular Detroit Police Chief James Craig is retiring which will be a huge loss for Detroit.   Good news he is considering running against Whitmer for Governor.  Unlike Whitmer who skirts and dodges everything and came from a very wealthy family Craig is a straight shooter who worked his way up through the ranks and a person who sees both sides of stories.

Da Guru said:
Bad news, Popular Detroit Police Chief James Craig is retiring which will be a huge loss for Detroit.   Good news he is considering running against Whitmer for Governor.  Unlike Whitmer who skirts and dodges everything and came from a very wealthy family Craig is a straight shooter who worked his way up through the ranks and a person who sees both sides of stories.
I really hope he does run. He seems like a decent, Honest, man. 

He doesn’t stand a chance.   Whitmer is backed by wealthy friends.  She is another politician that lies continuously and does whatever she wants.  
Hard to digest that Whitmer is a Michigan Governor.  Whitmers politics make her a better fit for New York or Illinois.

Charlie LeDuff 

May 19 at 1:17 PM  · 

We called on Governor Whitmer Friday afternoon to show us the check cut to a luxury jet charter company that is not a charter company, but rather a group of wealthy Michigan businessmen who do not charter their jet.

Just hours after our broadcast, came word from Whitmer's handlers that her political slush fund had indeed cut a check for $27,000 for a "charter" flight that was actually a tawdry gift asked for by Whitmer's staff. Whitmer personally kicked in a measly $855 for a round trip flight on a private jet.

If that's true, she may just have walked herself into a federal public integrity investigation.

They always say the cover-up is worse than crime, and it's no different in this case.

There's nothing people love more than an elected official who just lies right to their face
This is not a defense of Whitmer - sounds like she should be voted out if not kicked out of office.  But it feels like we are at a point where more and more we only get poor political choices.  It seems self-perpetuating, if someone tells us the truth we don’t like it so they can’t get elected - we elect the ones that are willing to lie to us and then lament that they are liars.  I’m not sure how we get out of this cycle.

I wonder if Whitmer is getting the family boat prepped for the big holiday weekend?  I sure hope so.  Nothing makes me happier than to have my elected leaders write their own rules at the expense of the serfs.

Whitmer is just a bad politician.  And I don't mean she's a bad person or anything, although some cracks are appearing.  She just is politically naive and it shows.  For the last 18 months, her entire political platform was blame Trump.  And as we all know , that was a successful strategy for many folks.  Now however that Trump is out of office, she has to stand on her own merits and she is tripping over herself daily.  I don't see her as very bright and she shes just too inexperienced. 

Whitmer is just a bad politician.  And I don't mean she's a bad person or anything, although some cracks are appearing.  She just is politically naive and it shows.  For the last 18 months, her entire political platform was blame Trump.  And as we all know , that was a successful strategy for many folks.  Now however that Trump is out of office, she has to stand on her own merits and she is tripping over herself daily.  I don't see her as very bright and she shes just too inexperienced. 
Personally, I would say that extorting local businesses for a ride on their private jet is not something a "good" person would do, and is certainly unethical.  

Personally, I would say that extorting local businesses for a ride on their private jet is not something a "good" person would do, and is certainly unethical.  
Well I'll stop short of extortion, because I haven't seen that yet. Not saying she wouldn't do it, but I have yet to see it go that far.

supermike80 said:

Whitmer has been in professional politics for 20+ years. She's a nepotism case from political legacy, both her parents were political power players in the state while she was growing up. Like many nepotism cases, she has no success in a career outside of politics. She could only enter the daily media cycle while speaking about her time as a victim ( I am not punishing victims of any crime, I am not making light of their pain and suffering, however as a professional politician, this becomes a media strategy. That's political strategy and political reality and that's a separate issue from someone's personal pain)  and not from any previous accomplishment.

I simply cannot understand a position about her being politically naive. She literally grew up and was raised and trained and groomed to be in politics and has done nothing else in her entire life but politics. I have a different take - She's just dumb frequently enough to be called an idiot. You have to be dumb to think you can hammer your citizens, home of Motor City no less, with a gas tax that would push to about fifty cents on the gallon. You have to be dumb to tank your own internal state economy for Orange Man Bad. You have to be dumb to try to cover for your equally dumb husband doing dumb things ( like shouting  "Do you know who I am? I'm the husband of THE FRANCHISE!" ) about dumb issues like boat docks when no cover is available. You have to be dumb to keep getting caught, again and again, in multiple controversies over hypocrisy and tone deaf behavior. You have to be dumb to join in on the nursing home tragedy that was a widespread play for pay with big money donors in many Blue strongholds. She literally paid off the states health director in the open. She's caught lying about things that can't be defended with lies and can be hard vetted out in the open. That's all just plain dumb. Only a dumb person gets involved again and again in these kind of messes. But then if dumb self inflicted things keeps happening, you start to raise questions if you've elevated yourself into an full blown idiot.  Matt Gaetz is also dumb in excess but everyone can call him an idiot with no problem, because hey, it's (D)ifferent since Whitmer is Team Blue. But since the law of the land is identity politics, if you call Whitmer an idiot SPECIFICALLY FOR HER ACTIONS TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE PEOPLE OF MICHIGAN , then the only answer is the person saying it must be a bigot.

What is terrifying is Biden wanted to pick a woman, full stop/period, to be his running mate. It HAD to be a woman. If the goal was actual governance and skill, he would have picked Amy Klobuchar. While I'm a fan of Tulsi Gabbard, I recognize Klobuchar would have actually had a skill set to help the American people at large and could actually make a practical short list. Instead, after Pocahontas Warren self imploded, it came down to Kamala Harris ( How is that working out?) and Susan Rice ( A legacy pick that where the name was forced into contention) and Whitmer. The only real choices were Harris and Whitmer. If anyone here is a member of the Democratic Party, should this not disturb them even just a little bit?

Notice how if you call Whitmer an idiot SPECIFICALLY FOR HER ACTIONS TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE PEOPLE OF MICHIGAN, the most you can be accused of, from the identity politics playbook, is to be called a bigot.  BUT if you criticize Kamala Harris for literally anything at all, then you can and will be publicly accused of, from the identity politics playbook, to be both a bigot AND a racist.

And thus Harris was picked.

Now imagine an alternate world, steeped in the same psychotic level of identity politics, where Harris was white and Whitmer was black. Then you might see nation wide gas cost 17 dollars a gallon and all nursing homes in America could have been turned into virtual COVID19 death camps for the elderly. 

Whitmer is so toxic, that I just now presented a scenario where Kamala Harris is actually appealing. Move over Lake Placid in 1984, I just found a new miracle moment.

Whitmer has been in professional politics for 20+ years. She's a nepotism case from political legacy, both her parents were political power players in the state while she was growing up. Like many nepotism cases, she has no success in a career outside of politics. She could only enter the daily media cycle while speaking about her time as a victim ( I am not punishing victims of any crime, I am not making light of their pain and suffering, however as a professional politician, this becomes a media strategy. That's political strategy and political reality and that's a separate issue from someone's personal pain)  and not from any previous accomplishment.

I simply cannot understand a position about her being politically naive. She literally grew up and was raised and trained and groomed to be in politics and has done nothing else in her entire life but politics. I have a different take - She's just dumb frequently enough to be called an idiot. You have to be dumb to think you can hammer your citizens, home of Motor City no less, with a gas tax that would push to about fifty cents on the gallon. You have to be dumb to tank your own internal state economy for Orange Man Bad. You have to be dumb to try to cover for your equally dumb husband doing dumb things ( like shouting  "Do you know who I am? I'm the husband of THE FRANCHISE!" ) about dumb issues like boat docks when no cover is available. You have to be dumb to keep getting caught, again and again, in multiple controversies over hypocrisy and tone deaf behavior. You have to be dumb to join in on the nursing home tragedy that was a widespread play for pay with big money donors in many Blue strongholds. She literally paid off the states health director in the open. She's caught lying about things that can't be defended with lies and can be hard vetted out in the open. That's all just plain dumb. Only a dumb person gets involved again and again in these kind of messes. But then if dumb self inflicted things keeps happening, you start to raise questions if you've elevated yourself into an full blown idiot.  Matt Gaetz is also dumb in excess but everyone can call him an idiot with no problem, because hey, it's (D)ifferent since Whitmer is Team Blue. But since the law of the land is identity politics, if you call Whitmer an idiot SPECIFICALLY FOR HER ACTIONS TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE PEOPLE OF MICHIGAN , then the only answer is the person saying it must be a bigot.

What is terrifying is Biden wanted to pick a woman, full stop/period, to be his running mate. It HAD to be a woman. If the goal was actual governance and skill, he would have picked Amy Klobuchar. While I'm a fan of Tulsi Gabbard, I recognize Klobuchar would have actually had a skill set to help the American people at large and could actually make a practical short list. Instead, after Pocahontas Warren self imploded, it came down to Kamala Harris ( How is that working out?) and Susan Rice ( A legacy pick that where the name was forced into contention) and Whitmer. The only real choices were Harris and Whitmer. If anyone here is a member of the Democratic Party, should this not disturb them even just a little bit?

Notice how if you call Whitmer an idiot SPECIFICALLY FOR HER ACTIONS TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE PEOPLE OF MICHIGAN, the most you can be accused of, from the identity politics playbook, is to be called a bigot.  BUT if you criticize Kamala Harris for literally anything at all, then you can and will be publicly accused of, from the identity politics playbook, to be both a bigot AND a racist.

And thus Harris was picked.

Now imagine an alternate world, steeped in the same psychotic level of identity politics, where Harris was white and Whitmer was black. Then you might see nation wide gas cost 17 dollars a gallon and all nursing homes in America could have been turned into virtual COVID19 death camps for the elderly. 

Whitmer is so toxic, that I just now presented a scenario where Kamala Harris is actually appealing. Move over Lake Placid in 1984, I just found a new miracle moment.
Don't forget the seeds man.  We couldn't buy SEEDS.  Mind boggling

I don't really like getting involved in state politics outside of my own state, but it sounds like she should be removed from office or at the very least not re-elected.

I don't really like getting involved in state politics outside of my own state, but it sounds like she should be removed from office or at the very least not re-elected.
I’m against her not finishing the term unless it was something far worse ( like a trump insurrection).  She is pretty powerful on the east side though.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/776645-trump-to-infinity-and-beyond-hq-the-great-and-positive-place/?do=findComment&comment=23409305

Had forgotten about the sharpie map.  The Trump presidency is like reading a GordonGekko post.  Just a constant, overwhelming barrage of ridiculousness.  

Direct Headline: A Blue Cross CEO Encouraged a Michigan Woman to Get Into Politics. Now She’s Running for Governor and Says Single Payer Is Unrealistic.

Gretchen Whitmer reveals close ties to the CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan in a 2015 interview.

Zaid Jilani July 18 2018, 10:06 a.m.

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/18/michigan-governor-race-gretchen-whitmer-blue-cross/

Direct Headline: Michigan AG Dana Nessel won't investigate Gov. Whitmer's nursing home policies

Dave Boucher Clara Hendrickson 3/15/21

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/15/gretchen-whitmer-nursing-home-policies-dana-nessel/4707894001/

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/michigan-gov-whitmers-ex-health-director-got-155k-separation-agreement

Direct Headline: Blue Cross has given more cash to Whitmer than any Michigan gov candidate in past decade

Posted By Violet Ikonomova on Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:01 AM

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2018/08/02/blue-cross-has-given-more-cash-to-whitmer-than-any-gov-candidate-in-past-decade

Direct Headline: Pandemic pushes U.S. insurers to avoid already strained senior care market

By Suzanne Barlyn July 9, 2020 7:05 AM

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-senior-centers/pandemic-pushes-u-s-insurers-to-avoid-already-strained-senior-care-market-idUSKBN24A25N

Direct Headline: Cuomo gave immunity to nursing home executives after big campaign donations

Critics say data proves New York’s liability shield is linked to higher nursing home death rates during the pandemic

David Sirota Tue 26 May 2020 14.00 EDT

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/26/andrew-cuomo-nursing-home-execs-immunity

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/26/cuomos-nursing-home-fiasco-ethical-perils-pandemic-policymaking/

Direct Headline: Whitmer Signs COVID-19 Business Immunity Bills

October 22, 2020 – Advocacy News

https://www.michamber.com/news/whitmer-signs-covid-19-business-immunity-bills/

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(deuu04xskxnivvsdfm2eik4j))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2020-HB-6030

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2019-2020/billengrossed/House/htm/2020-HEBS-6030.htm

TRUNCATED FOR LENGTH**

Users who are viewing this thread