What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"San Diego's Mayor Slaps Down Newsom" - LA Times (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Slap Down Article from LA Times

I haven’t eaten at a restaurant in so long, I can’t even remember the last time.

Why not?

Because I trust the warnings of public health experts. Because I’m not sure it’s safe. And because after months of scolding people for ignoring commonsense warnings about limiting the spread of COVID-19, I’d be a hypocrite to do otherwise.

Just like California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

As everyone knows by now, Newsom and his wife dined with a lobbyist and several other couples at a birthday celebration held at one of the most expensive restaurants in California, even as the coronavirus is surging and as a lot of the voters who put him in office are out of work and struggling to survive.

How many times have we been advised by Newsom to play it safe, stay close to home and avoid unnecessary gatherings?

It was good advice, but if he’s not following it, can he expect anyone to trust anything he says?

And what about the blockheaded state legislators who flew to Maui for a conference, with the expenses picked up in some cases by their hosts, the nonprofit Independent Voter Project? One of the conference topics was on how to reopen states safely.

Here’s one way:

Don’t get on a plane and fly off to a hotel gathering on a tropical island, then return home and possibly expose others to the risk of infection.

We’re still confirming the names of the Maui Mai Tai Club, Democrats and Republicans alike, and when we nail that down I’ll be inviting readers to give legislators a good piece of their mind, with the best responses published in this space.

But let’s get back to Newsom, who apologized for his “mistake” and noted that he was dining outdoors.

Can we even trust him on that?

As The Times has reported, there are photos that show Newsom “inside a private dining room that appears to open up to an outdoor area, sitting almost shoulder to shoulder with other guests around a single table. No one can be seen wearing a mask.”

OK, he hasn’t quite hit Trumpian levels of COVID stupidity, but shame on him, and good for San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, who poked a stick in Newsom’s eye with a sharp tweet.

Faulconer noted that not only did Newsom enjoy a $350-per-person restaurant while Californians are digging cans of bean soup from the back of their cupboards, but the governor also sends his children to a private school that’s open for business while many of the state’s public school students are locked out of their campuses.

“His kids can learn in person. But yours can’t,” Faulconer tweeted. “He can celebrate birthday parties. But you can’t. He can dine on a $350 meal at one [of] California’s fanciest restaurants during the worst recession in generations. But you definitely can’t. Can you believe this? I can’t.”

Faulconer is a Republican, Newsom is a Democrat. Faulconer is closing out his time as mayor and has considered running for governor in the past.

So I asked him Wednesday afternoon if he’s going to give it a shot in two years, when Newsom’s first term comes to an end.

“I am absolutely considering it,” Faulconer told me. “We need new leadership.”

That’s a steep hill to climb. Faulconer is a centrist in a state whose GOP is so far to the right, nearly 6 million Californians voted for Trump. It’s not clear they’d have the same enthusiasm for a moderate Republican. Then there’s the sizable problem of the lopsided Democratic advantage among the state’s registered voters.

But we did have a moderate Republican governor not that long ago in Arnold Schwarzenegger, and it would be nice to see someone hold a mirror up to Democratic leaders in California, who can’t fix the state’s housing crisis and can’t figure out a workable plan on homelessness, among a host of other problems.

And then there’s the ridiculously mismanaged payout of unemployment benefits.

Seems like a relatively simple task, especially in the state that invented computers. But it’s been chaos, and it’s gone on for months, as thousands of Californians have waited desperately for someone, anyone, to come to the rescue. Does somebody need to host another conference in Hawaii to get legislators interested in finding a fix?

“What’s happening is that the Democratic establishment is failing our state,” Faulconer said. “Where’s the plan for schools to open? Where’s the plan to make sure the power doesn’t shut off when the wind blows? … Homelessness is skyrocketing, and it’s not acceptable to have people live and die on our streets.”

Earlier this year, Faulconer noted, when the state homeless population increased, San Diego’s decreased. He invited me to visit and find out more about his city’s approach, and I’m happy to take him up on the offer.

But I want to get back to the virus, because Faulconer’s issues with the governor go beyond his trip to the French Laundry restaurant in Napa Valley. Residents and business owners have been confused by mixed messages about what they can and can’t do, about how long some businesses will be open and how long it’ll be before they’re closed yet again, Faulconer said.

Newsom and state leaders are “failing because of the constant changing of the rules…. People are angry and want to know that we’re following a clear set of objectives,” Faulconer said. “I’ve been very vocal that we have to keep people safe and we have to do everything in terms of masking and social distancing, but people are at their wits’ end.”

To be fair, that is the nature of a pandemic. It makes sense to adjust the rules, depending on surge levels, to protect lives.

But that’s why Newsom’s lapse is so egregious, especially as the number of cases and the fears of a greater shutdown are on the rise. He put all of us at greater risk because Californians who have refused to wear masks and resisted COVID-19 restrictions are only going to be more emboldened by his hypocritical messaging, as evidenced by those who showed up at this week’s Orange County Board of Supervisors meeting and lashed out at Newsom.

I don’t care how good Newsom’s dinner might have been.

It wasn’t worth it, and the whole state got indigestion.

steve.lopez@latimes.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m just going to keep repeating this question until you answer it: if you disapprove of Governor Newsom’s actions, how would YOU handle the threat of intensive care unit beds exceeding 100% due to COVID? 

It’s a pretty simple question. Me personally, I’m pretty sure that I would be forced, reluctantly, to shut things down to prevent this from happening. Because as Governor my first duty is to protect the safety of the public. But if you have a good reasonable alternative, please offer it. I don’t give a crap about hypocrisy when lives are on the line. 

I’m just going to keep repeating this question until you answer it: if you disapprove of Governor Newsom’s actions, how would YOU handle the threat of intensive care unit beds exceeding 100% due to COVID? 
You can't lump in SD with LA...for starters.   

Second, Newsome should have been ramping up ICUs for the last 6 months.    He was too busy with his Ivory Tower elites at French Laundry apparently.

Newsome is a clownshow.

Second, Newsome should have been ramping up ICUs for the last 6 months.    He was too busy with his Ivory Tower elites at French Laundry apparently.

Newsome is a clownshow.
I don’t care about hypocrisy. I don’t care about San Diego vs Los Angeles, because that all depends on the state of each hospital. And I don’t care about mistakes made in the past.

The crisis is here. What would you do? 

I don’t care about hypocrisy. I don’t care about San Diego vs Los Angeles, because that all depends on the state of each hospital. And I don’t care about mistakes made in the past.

I would not lump in SD with LA in an effort to save businesses on life support.

I would not lump in SD with LA in an effort to save businesses on life support.
Yes. You wrote that already. Point taken. I don’t care about it because it’s not pertinent to the issue of saving lives. 
You wrote what you would not do. What would you do? 

Yes. You wrote that already. Point taken. I don’t care about it because it’s not pertinent to the issue of saving lives. 
You wrote what you would not do. What would you do? 
That's primarily what I would do.   Not complicated.

Except you have to care about the hypocrisy.  If Newsome and the lawmakers aren't following the rules they expect everyone else to follow, why should anyone else follow them?

Who cares about "what would you do" at this point?  It's irrelevant to this conversation.

Except you have to care about the hypocrisy.  If Newsome and the lawmakers aren't following the rules they expect everyone else to follow, why should anyone else follow them?
Because the wisdom and righteousness of the rules don't derive from the lawmakers' personal behaviors. See also drunk driving, tax evasion, etc. You don't avoid indoor gatherings due to Newsome's say-so -- you avoid them to do your part in limiting the spread of COVID in your community.

That said -- it absolutely IS fair game to hold this hypocrisy against Newsome, et al, and vote them out of office next time around. They deserve at least that much sanction from the public. Wouldn't be opposed to more public sanction as available (e.g. petitions to remove from office, negative "non-campaign" ads).

Who cares about "what would you do" at this point?  It's irrelevant to this conversation.
Completely agree with this.  Newsome botched this massively, and he opened himself up to criticism.  He deserves any criticism he gets for this.  Why should I listen to Prince Gavin on any topic, when he’s demonstrated a toxic combo of entitlement and detachment from reality?

Situations like this are why so many people get frustrated with “elites.”  I completely get it.

It'd be nice to spell his name right in the title. That would indicate you have a shred or basic grasp of what's going on in California regarding Gavin Newsom and this virus. As one of the people living in a shut down potential area, I applaud Newsom for what he has done during the pandemic despite ridiculous protestations to the contrary, especially the blanks in Orange County and Inland Empire.

Absolutely. That's basic leadership.
Yes if you’re evaluating Newsom. (BTW for everyone: there’s no e at the end of his name.) 

But that wasn’t the context of my question. The question was what should be done? The governor’s hypocrisy has nothing to do with that question. 

Completely agree with this.  Newsome botched this massively, and he opened himself up to criticism.  He deserves any criticism he gets for this.  Why should I listen to Prince Gavin on any topic, when he’s demonstrated a toxic combo of entitlement and detachment from reality?

Situations like this are why so many people get frustrated with “elites.”  I completely get it.
You should listen to him when it makes sense to do so, and not when it doesn’t. 

In the other thread I credited Donald Trump for his speed in getting us the vaccine : he cut a lot of red tape and that helped greatly. It doesn’t matter that I have a very low opinion of Trump; this is something he did right, a pretty damn big thing and he deserved credit. 

It’s the same thing here. Is Newsom correct in these new restrictions? I don’t know. I think he is, I’m not 100% sure but I think so. If you disagree and think he’s wrong then offer arguments as to why he’s wrong. But don’t just tell me that he’s being hypocritical.  Because in the big picture that doesn’t matter. 

Yes if you’re evaluating Newsom. (BTW for everyone: there’s no e at the end of his name.) 

But that wasn’t the context of my question. The question was what should be done? The governor’s hypocrisy has nothing to do with that question. 
targeted closures for starters. for example, there's no evidence -and happy to learn otherwise - that the personal care sector (i.e. nail salons, hair salons, etc.) are significant contributors of the C-19 spread, especially since they have implemented new protocols since re-opening. they should be included as essential services. 

allow restaurants to serve outdoors with the current restrictions in place. same for breweries, distilleries, and wineries. again, no direct evidence that these places are part of the problem. 

stop using ICU bed availability as a metric for mass closures by region (and realize that Monterey Co. is not in the "Bay Area" even by the loosest definition and that San Luis Obispo is not "Southern California"). the implication is that the beds are all being used for C-19 patients which is not the case. 

instead of reporting new cases and deaths only; start reporting cases of those who have recovered. for example, Sonoma Co. had two ICU beds available on 12.4.20, and as of this morning there are now four. 

at the 12:00pm press conferences, publicly acknowledge that 25% of positive cases are for those between the ages of 18-34. also acknowledge that irresponsible behavior - house parties, multi-household gatherings, and bars/restaurants who are not following the proper protocols - are exacerbating the spread of C-19. 

while Gavin apologized for his "lapse in judgement", he should publicly call out London Breed (also French Laundry), Sam Licardo (mulit-household Thanksgiving) or any other elected or appointed official who is not following the protocols issued by the State and municipal Departments of Health. 

targeted closures for starters. for example, there's no evidence -and happy to learn otherwise - that the personal care sector (i.e. nail salons, hair salons, etc.) are significant contributors of the C-19 spread, especially since they have implemented new protocols since re-opening. they should be included as essential services. 

allow restaurants to serve outdoors with the current restrictions in place. same for breweries, distilleries, and wineries. again, no direct evidence that these places are part of the problem. 

stop using ICU bed availability as a metric for mass closures by region (and realize that Monterey Co. is not in the "Bay Area" even by the loosest definition and that San Luis Obispo is not "Southern California"). the implication is that the beds are all being used for C-19 patients which is not the case. 

instead of reporting new cases and deaths only; start reporting cases of those who have recovered. for example, Sonoma Co. had two ICU beds available on 12.4.20, and as of this morning there are now four. 

at the 12:00pm press conferences, publicly acknowledge that 25% of positive cases are for those between the ages of 18-34. also acknowledge that irresponsible behavior - house parties, multi-household gatherings, and bars/restaurants who are not following the proper protocols - are exacerbating the spread of C-19. 

while Gavin apologized for his "lapse in judgement", he should publicly call out London Breed (also French Laundry), Sam Licardo (mulit-household Thanksgiving) or any other elected or appointed official who is not following the protocols issued by the State and municipal Departments of Health. 
Thank you for the reasonable rebuttal. 

The response by @Quint is what we don’t get enough of. So often this debate is exactly like the climate change debate: liberals offer solutions that might be overly restrictive, conservatives criticize but then offer no solutions of their own, forcing most of us to go along with the liberals since the alternative is catastrophic. Is Quint right? I have no idea. But that is the discussion and debate we need to be having. 

One thing I wouldnt do is ban outdoor activities. 

I would encourage people to get outside. I would encourage people to wear masks where it makes the most sense, indoors. I would encourage better mask wearing and better mask buying. 

I would push for better ventilation in every building there is. 

Thank you 

Even Tim seemingly has no rebuttal. 

It'd be nice to spell his name right in the title. That would indicate you have a shred or basic grasp of what's going on in California regarding Gavin Newsom and this virus. As one of the people living in a shut down potential area, I applaud Newsom for what he has done during the pandemic despite ridiculous protestations to the contrary, especially the blanks in Orange County and Inland Empire.
Meh.  My phone autocorrects to Newsome (for work-related reasons).  I lived in SF, was politically active there, continue to be connected to CA politics, and am highly familiar with him.  If a spelling glitch makes you devalue the comments of others, that’s your own bias and judgment coming through.  It frankly isn’t a very productive comment.

You should listen to him when it makes sense to do so, and not when it doesn’t. 

In the other thread I credited Donald Trump for his speed in getting us the vaccine : he cut a lot of red tape and that helped greatly. It doesn’t matter that I have a very low opinion of Trump; this is something he did right, a pretty damn big thing and he deserved credit. 

It’s the same thing here. Is Newsom correct in these new restrictions? I don’t know. I think he is, I’m not 100% sure but I think so. If you disagree and think he’s wrong then offer arguments as to why he’s wrong. But don’t just tell me that he’s being hypocritical.  Because in the big picture that doesn’t matter. 
I’m not listening to Newsom at all.  Why?  I don’t live in CA.  Should other people listen to him?  Sure.  They should also listen to public health officials.  

The reality is that they probably shouldn’t look to Gavin for moral leadership.

Thank you 

Even Tim seemingly has no rebuttal. 
Because this isn’t a ####### game to me and I’m not taking a side. 
Quint’s critiques may be right on point (I don’t know) but the problem is that right now we have two choices: accept what Newsom is doing (which is based on public health recommendations) or defy his restrictions. Since those are my choices and the second choice is unacceptable, I will accept what Newsom is doing. 

Because this isn’t a ####### game to me and I’m not taking a side. 
Quint’s critiques may be right on point (I don’t know) but the problem is that right now we have two choices: accept what Newsom is doing (which is based on public health recommendations) or defy his restrictions. Since those are my choices and the second choice is unacceptable, I will accept what Newsom is doing. 
Sorry, Tim, but you aren't going to find sympathy from people losing their livelihoods while Newsom doesn't even follow his own rules.  The message is that COVID appears not to be that serious if our own Governor doesn't even follow the rules.

That's not how people are and, to be honest, nor should they be.  Hypocrites don't get to run amok while the little people have to sit in cages.  You DAMN well better believe that this is EXACTLY how revolts have started throughout human history.

https://www.lawofficer.com/lapd-might-be-losing-951-cops-728-civilian-positions/

"LOS ANGELES — Faced with a growing financial crisis, Los Angeles city budget analysts recommended Friday that the city begin preparing for the elimination of nearly 1,900 filled positions, including 951 police officers.

City Administrative Officer Rich Llewellyn advised Mayor Eric Garcetti and members of the City Council to lay plans for deep reductions at the Los Angeles Police Department, cutting the number of rank-and-file officers by roughly 10% while also eliminating 728 civilian jobs within the department, Los Angeles Times reported.

If the city ultimately moves ahead with such reductions, the LAPD would likely have fewer officers than at any point in 25 years.

In a statement posted to Twitter, LAPD Chief Michel Moore said the city’s projected $600 million shortfall may force public safety cutbacks that would “devastate” the department."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/02/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-plans-to-move-to-texas-friends-and-associates-say.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

"Musk said in May that he was selling all his houses and then proceeded to list his California properties. Friends and associates say he’s told them he’s moving, although there’s no record of a change in residence yet.

Elon Musk’s pay package from 2018 means he’s getting significant stock awards based on Tesla’s market cap increases and hitting financial targets.

Texas has no state income tax, while California’s is the highest in the country.

The state’s top lawmaker, Gov. Abbott, certainly seems to think Musk is making the move.

In July, Abbott said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that Musk told him he’d gotten a Texas driver’s license and is a “bona fide Texan now.” Abbott also said Musk was building his next Tesla factory in the state because it would give him the freedom to “expand the way he wanted to expand.”....

To help lure Tesla’s new factory, local officials granted the company tens of millions of dollars in property tax breaks. Musk confirmed on the company’s second-quarter earnings call in July that the plant would occupy about 2,000 acres 15 minutes from downtown, and would be used to build the Cybertruck, its Semi, Model 3 and Model Y. Musk said the factory will start delivering cars next year.

In addition to SpaceX and Tesla, Musk’s Boring Company has an office in Texas. Seven of the nascent company’s 17 job openings on its website are for positions in Austin, and Musk has hinted at building a tunnel there. Boring Company investor Joe Lonsdale, a co-founder of Palantir and friend of Musk’s, recently relocated to the Austin area from Silicon Valley....

But Musk’s personal financial reasons for leaving California are significant. Under his 10-year compensation package approved in 2018, Musk could earn well over $50 billion in stock and awards in 12 tranches — he’s already reached the fourth. He would have to pay income taxes on the profits when he exercises the options. The top state income tax rate in California is 13.3%. In Texas, it’s zero."

Emperor Newsom is going to take some big hits here. He'll run for POTUS in 2024. Pelosi might not live long enough to help him with fund raising if he waits another cycle, and his optics might not survive another cycle in CA.

Newsome is a clownshow.
Sure you can.  San Diego and LA are very similar as far as demographics and density.

part of the reason ICU bed capacity is a poor metric for determining Regional Closures:

“Sonoma County has decided not to join them,” she said in a briefing Friday afternoon. “We’re talking with our health care partners, and we will join those other counties if the need arises. But, we have concerns about the number the state’s using for ICU capacity, which shows us with less that 3% capacity. We do not believe they are reporting the true capacity.

“Just an hour ago we met with hospital administrators and found that out of 77 ICU beds, 40% are available right now. We are in conversation with CDPH and hope to have answers soon. We want to assure you that our hospital part can increase ICU capacity immediately if needed. We will track what other counties are doing, but we don’t believe current rates justify joining those counties,” she finished.”

I’m really not a fan of Dr. Mase, and I do applaud her transparency on this specific issue  

Link 

rockaction said:
 I applaud Newsom for what he has done during the pandemic despite ridiculous protestations to the contrary, especially the blanks in Orange County and Inland Empire.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/investigations/governor-newsom-most-state-lawmakers-took-money-from-convicted-felon-pge/103-2414790f-3a19-4411-92c2-fe23b519d646

Governor Newsom, most state lawmakers took money from convicted felon PG&E

PG&E donated millions to California politicians after it was convicted of 6 federal felonies connected to the 2010 San Bruno pipeline explosion that killed 8 people.

Author: Brandon Rittiman, Eric Escalante, Chelsea Shannon

Updated: 10:26 AM PDT July 11, 2019

A convicted federal felon donated more than four million dollars to influence California politics and the money was accepted by California Gov. Gavin Newsom the vast majority of members of the state legislature, and both major political parties.

The political donor’s crimes were connected to the deaths of eight people. Politicians knew that but took the money anyway.

The convict in this story isn’t a person. It’s the Pacific Gas and Electric Company a publicly-traded corporation with a monopoly over power service to four out of every 10 people living in California. Newsom, a Democrat, received more than $200,000 from the federal offender. The Republican and Democratic parties of California each took more than $500,000.To be clear, it's not illegal for a convicted felon — whether person or corporation — to donate campaign money. And it's not illegal for the politician to accept it.But is it ethical?

Newsom is currently attempting to broker a legislative package to help utilities companies like PG&E remain financially solvent after starting wildfires. He’s also embraced reforms of legal liability standards for the industry, a policy goal PG&E has spent millions lobbying to achieve in the last two years.

The corporation was convicted of six federal felonies in 2016, which means that every donation accepted by California politicians from PG&E during the 2018 election cycle amounts to taking money from a convicted criminal. PG&E’s felony convictions were related to the deadly 2010 San Bruno gas explosion, which killed eight people. A jury found PG&E guilty of five counts of willfully breaking federal gas pipeline safety laws and one count of obstructing the federal investigation into the disaster. PG&E will be serving its probation up to the year 2022 for its past crimes.

“Words are not enough,” PG&E wrote in a statement after the sentencing. “We expect to be judged by our actions.” Under court order, the company also ran television ads to apologize for the disaster, saying, “We can never forget what happened in San Bruno. That's why we're working every day to make PG&E the safest energy company in the nation."

Since being sentenced in January 2017, state investigators say PG&E sparked wildfires that killed 107 people -- including the deadly 2018 Camp Fire, which killed 85 people when it destroyed the entire town of Paradise.

In all, ABC10’s compilation of state records shows that as a felon, PG&E donated more than $800,000 directly to candidate campaigns, $372,000 to influence the outcome of votes on ballot questions, and another $3.2 million to political spending groups -- much of which ultimately flowed to candidates.

Newsom and his allies took $208,400 toward his 2018 run for governor after PG&E was convicted. That includes the maximum contribution of $58,400 directly to his campaign and another $150,000 to a political spending group called “Citizens Supporting Gavin Newsom for Governor 2018.”

“It’s a strange question,” Newsom told ABC10 when asked why it’s OK for him to take money from a convicted felon. “I don’t know what more I can say.”

That was his only reply to the substance of the question.

....No individual people from PG&E were named in the charges, which is why no one went to prison for the crimes.

PG&E hasn’t been a model federal offender since it began probation in 2017. Alsup recently sentenced PG&E for violating the terms of its probation. Prison wasn’t an option for punishment. All the judge could do was add new terms to the company’s probation. Alsup added a term to PG&E’s probation requiring it to meet the terms of its wildfire prevention plan, a document that was required by state lawmakers in SB 901 -- the deal struck in the state Capitol to help the PG&E pay for damage caused by 2017 wildfires in wine country.

Let's also applaud Newsom for taking political contributions from a convicted corporate felon where no one went to prison. He also took hundreds of thousands of dollars AFTER they murdered hundreds of the California citizens he was sworn to protect, and AFTER they kept breaking the terms of it's punishment/probation, and then pushed through legislation to help that same felon pay for the massive damage it's corruption/negligence it caused the entire state via tax dollars.

So you have some Californians paying taxes to fix the financial woes of an unrepentant greedy company that KILLED THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS but gets a free pass since they helped Newsom stay as Governor with fat stacks of cash.

When confronted, and asked if he would give the money back since it's now BLOOD MONEY FROM MURDERERS, this idiotic jack off SMILES says, "It's a strange question"  (Video Below)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NEWSOM ACTUALLY SMILED WHEN CONFRONTED WITH TAKING MONEY FROM GREEDY CORPORATE KILLERS. ARE YOU MOTHER F**KING KIDDING ME?

California Governor Gavin Newsom accepted money from a convicted felon | PG&E Investigation

113,474 views •Jul 2, 2019

A convicted federal felon donated more than four million dollars to influence California politics and the money was accepted by California Governor Gavin Newsom, the vast majority of members of the state legislature, and both major political parties. That felon: PG&E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA2TuDHbxvA

timschochet said:

The hypocrisy here is just insane.

All I read on this board over and over was how Donald Trump wasn't showing leadership and how horrible of a human being he is for it 

Now we get the governor of California, who happens to be a Democrat,  being completely hypocritical and I see things like " I don't care about the hypocrisy "

I swear I dont understand how some of you do it.

All I read on this board over and over was how Donald Trump wasn't showing leadership and how horrible of a human being he is for it 

Now we get the governor of California, who happens to be a Democrat,  being completely hypocritical and I see things like " I don't care about the hypocrisy "

Its the context pf what he is saying and asking across multiple threads asking where to go from where we are.

Better said if he agrees Newsom was hypocritical (he was)...but his question isnt about that what Newsom does on his own...its about what people think he should do for the state.

Its fair to them criticize people who were critical of Trump for setting bad examples and excuse Newsom.  Both should be held accountable for that.  No doubt.

I think tim is talking more about how to we move forward? The dinner thing has been discussed...great...it happened...how do we move forward?

Maybe you didn’t read me enough, because several times in the last 4 years, I’ve posted that I didn’t care about Trump’s hypocrisy. I didn’t and I still don’t. 
To me hypocrisy and double standards are the least interesting of political subjects. I take it for granted that most politicians are going to do and say things that make them appear hypocritical. I take it for granted that liberals are going to criticize conservatives when they do bad things and excuse fellow liberals for the exact same things, and vice versa for conservatives. 
I don’t care because none of this is a game to me, and I don’t care which “side” wins. People’s lives, their prosperity is on the line here. Last night I was on the phone with one of my tenants, the owner of a black hair salon, who is terrified she will lose the last of her customers now that she has to close down again. She was in tears; I’m trying to help her. This #### is very real to me. As I’ve written before, I lost my best friend due to COVID. 
So I don’t know if Newsom is doing the right thing. I think he is but I’m not sure. I know that he has to do something. And nationally, I’d really like President Trump to push reluctant Republicans in Congress to help some of these folks out. For both Newsom and Trump, I guarantee you that hypocrisy is the last thing on my mind. 

Liberal Democrat who voted for Newsom. Going to the French Laundry was a mistake, and there is a decent chance it costs him a legit shot at the Presidency long term.  Leadership and optics matter, and Gavin knows better.  Moving forward, I’ll likely still vote for Gavin if he is the superior choice on the ballot, but my support will likely be far less enthusiastic. Those of us in CA know Gavin is no saint.  

Liberal Democrat who voted for Newsom. Going to the French Laundry was a mistake, and there is a decent chance it costs him a legit shot at the Presidency long term.  Leadership and optics matter, and Gavin knows better.  Moving forward, I’ll likely still vote for Gavin if he is the superior choice on the ballot, but my support will likely be far less enthusiastic. Those of us in CA know Gavin is no saint.  
He was never going to be President anyhow. He doesn’t have “it” (whatever it is). 

Agreed. This is certainly not limited to Democrats, but the "I don't care about the thing when my guy did it but I care a ton when your person did it" is what gets most any reasonable person fired up. Totally get it. 

Agreed. This is certainly not limited to Democrats, but the "I don't care about the thing when my guy did it but I care a ton when your person did it" is what gets most any reasonable person fired up. Totally get it. 
But he’s responding to me. That doesn’t apply to me. I don’t care about Trump’s hypocrisy either; please read my above post about it. 

But he’s responding to me. That doesn’t apply to me. I don’t care about Trump’s hypocrisy either; please read my above post about it. 
I'm not talking about you. 

This is certainly not limited to Democrats, but the "I don't care about the thing when my guy did it but I care a ton when your person did it" is what gets most any reasonable person fired up. Totally get it. 

But the liberals in this thread are holding Newsom accountable and calling him out for his hypocrisy.  

This is actually a FANTASTIC example of how both-sidesism works.  Liberals in this thread are doing the right thing and blaming Newsom for his error, yet somehow the takeaway is that liberals who criticized Trump are hypocrites and won’t criticize their own.  tim is NOT a liberal.

I need a bloody mary!  😆

But the liberals in this thread are holding Newsom accountable and calling him out for his hypocrisy.  

This is actually a FANTASTIC example of how both-sidesism works.  Liberals in this thread are doing the right thing and blaming Newsom for his error, yet somehow the takeaway is that liberals who criticized Trump are hypocrites and won’t criticize their own.  tim is NOT a liberal.

I need a bloody mary!  😆
I"m talking in general for all discussion. I'm not talking about Tim. 

I"m talking in general for all discussion. I'm not talking about Tim. 
I think most of the liberals on this board have written some condemnation of Newsom's dinner in some thread or other (it's hard to keep track). I know I did. That's what @tommyGunZ is talking about. The hypocrisy on this isn't as pronounced and rampant as the people complaining about it would like to believe.

I think most of the liberals on this board have written some condemnation of Newsom's dinner in some thread or other (it's hard to keep track). I know I did. That's what @tommyGunZ is talking about. The hypocrisy on this isn't as pronounced and rampant as the people complaining about it would like to believe.
I'm talking in general for all discussion. Hypocrisy is most always a trigger for all sides. That's what made this a story for Newsom. Independent of what anyone said here. I'd hope everyone would condemn the dinner. Newsom did. It's indefensible. My point was about hypocrisy in general. 

Users who are viewing this thread