What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB moves All-Star game in response to GA voter laws (1 Viewer)

He’s done absolutely nothing to bring the country together, all campaign schtick and nothing more. 
1. He got a Covid Relief plan passed that 80% of the public likes. 
2. His next big effort is an infrastructure proposal that 70% of the public likes.

3. He’s also pushing a gun control proposal that around 75% of the public likes. 

Short of wartime this is about as unified as the country gets. It’s why his approval ratings continue to soar. 

Here is my first post. Get offended all you want. You brought us here.
I personally am not worried over someone who can't be bothered to do basic things to vote as to whether they exercise their right to vote, that is true.  I never have advocated for restricting anyone's rights, that's a statement you made.  Again, you need to understand that not being responsible for whether someone exercises their right is not the same as restricting their right or even wanting to restrict it.  

I'm not offended.  Besides the fact that I'm impossible to offend as my standard day's business calls often involve verbiage used in a junior high bathroom brawl, why would I be since you accused Georgia, not me?  They were hefty accusations I asked you to back up.  You directly accused the state of impeding and removing rights from voters.  Yet, you are unable to give me one example of how this law changed from pre-Covid Georgia elections.  

Anyway, I feel like I've said what I can in regards to that so I'll digress.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. His next big effort is an infrastructure proposal that 70% of the public likes.

3. He’s also pushing a gun control proposal that around 75% of the public likes. 

Short of wartime this is about as unified as the country gets. It’s why his approval ratings continue to soar. 
Right. Seems being unified with Republicans in congress is impossible.

I voted for Biden.  

1. Give me a check?  Yes.    100% should like it.   Only 80% is a shock.

2. Infrastructure bill..it is so big how do 70% know what is in it or if it is good or bad??  90% do not even know what is in these bills. 90% might be low too.

3. Gun control?  Yes I am for some sort of gun control.  It won`t help but we need something.

Can you tell me how many dropboxes were in Georgia prior to the election of November 2020 which was altered due to the pandemic?  I don't think they've rolled back some previous standard but I'm open to hearing if I'm wrong there. 
Looks like 2020 was the 1st time they ever used drop boxes in GA.

Absentee ballot drop boxes, used for the first time in 2020 in Georgia, will be in place for the January runoff as well

https://www.wabe.org/state-election-board-defends-georgia-election-extends-rules-governing-drop-boxes-early-processing/
So the four largest counties in Georgia had a total of 94 drop boxes for the very 1st time Georgia used drop boxes. This new law cuts those same four counties down to just 23. 

Fulton county (which is one of the four) alone had 36 drop boxes in 2020. It looks like this new law is cutting them down to about 6

I voted for Biden.  

1. Give me a check?  Yes.    100% should like it.   Only 80% is a shock.

2. Infrastructure bill..it is so big how do 70% know what is in it or if it is good or bad??  90% do not even know what is in these bills. 90% might be low too.

3. Gun control?  Yes I am for some sort of gun control.  It won`t help but we need something.
Of course you can break down these numbers, or explain them away by claiming that the public doesn’t really know what’s going on- there’s some truth to that, but it applies to every President. 
But I was responding to the claim by @GoBirdsthat Biden has done nothing to unify the country. That’s absurd, and falls apart upon the most cursory examination of the facts. 

Of course you can break down these numbers, or explain them away by claiming that the public doesn’t really know what’s going on- there’s some truth to that, but it applies to every President. 
But I was responding to the claim by @GoBirdsthat Biden has done nothing to unify the country. That’s absurd, and falls apart upon the most cursory examination of the facts. 
What we have to come to grips with is that the country will never be "unified" again.   There are too many different factions, too many different agendas,   When I was in grade school I remember reading that America can not be destroyed by anything but itself. 

Majority means very little, only you can force rules on others.  If you run a company that 52% of the company is happy..but 48% is unhappy..that company is doomed to fail.     Flip the % to either side right or left and it does not matter. It is failing.  Kind of where we are at right now.

What we have to come to grips with is that the country will never be "unified" again.   There are too many different factions, too many different agendas,   When I was in grade school I remember reading that America can not be destroyed by anything but itself. 

Majority means very little, only you can force rules on others.  If you run a company that 52% of the company is happy..but 48% is unhappy..that company is doomed to fail.     Flip the % to either side right or left and it does not matter. It is failing.  Kind of where we are at right now.
Less than 48% are unhappy. There's a large number of us that exhert very little energy on the day-to-day nonsense the politically motivated do.

We have only been completely unified 2-3 times in our modern history: December 8, 1941, November 23, 1963, September 12, 2001. In other words, there has to be some sort of significant attack against us. Hopefully we’ll never be unified like that again. 

VIDEO: John Heilemann: Trump victory proves polling is broken •Nov 9, 2016

John Heilemann joins CBSN to discuss Donald Trump's stunning presidential victory over Hillary Clinton. He explains how Trump won, and why few pundits predicted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz9_6iXtt1o

VIDEO: The Polling Was Worse This Time, Says John Zogby •Nov 4, 2020

Nov.04 -- John Zogby, founder of John Zogby Strategies, says the polling industry is vital but the results of the 2020 presidential election prove some reform is needed. He speaks during an interview on "Bloomberg Surveillance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phk579w_SkM

VIDEO: What Went Wrong With Political Polling In 2020? •Jan 5, 2021

A lot things went wrong in 2020. And presidential polls were no exception. Joe Biden was supposed to win the 2020 presidential by eight points, according to the polls, which were wrong. He won by five points. He was supposed to win Wisconsin by 10 points. Instead, Biden eked out a victory there with less than 1 percent of the vote between him and incumbent President Donald Trump. The polls were very wrong in Wisconsin. The polls also had Biden winning Florida. And North Carolina. Here’s why the polls ended up missing the mark in 2020, and what’s being done about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgHEkOitSXE

VIDEO: Political Polling Is Still Terrible… and Might Get Worse •Nov 17, 2020

After the polling debacle of 2016, pollsters promised they had fixed their mistakes in 2020. Instead, polls showing Democrats with wide advantages for president and Congress appear to have been off by even bigger margins. Is the polling industry in crisis? And, perhaps more importantly, what does it mean for our democracy if we can't trust information telling us what our fellow citizens think? In this video, we talked to Iowa pollster J. Ann Selzer, data analytics expert Elan Kriegel, and Bloomberg Government's Greg Giroux, about the future of polling and what, if anything, can be done to fix it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLoptnTqTKQ

The term "Shy Trump Voter" is offensive. It indicates that these voters have something to be ashamed of and should remain silent and have some kind of fear of being outed.

You can't have open and honest polling when one side of the aisle is constantly under attack of censorship, demonetized, deplatformed, have their careers attacked, be threatened with doxxing and name brand Democrats are talking about making "lists" to ensure future purity tests are done thoroughly.

Face to face polling is expensive, and with the pandemic, how practical is it? There's also the shift in how people consume data and network that is far different from their grandparents using landlines.

Michael Sam won an ESPY. He also never played a snap in an actual regular season NFL game. He also said he struggled to find regular work after his NFL dreams died on the vine. There's a deeper context to everything, and especially polling numbers.

I'm not here to convince you of anything, I'm here to thank you for converting so many undecideds and moderates to the conservative side of the spectrum. If I ran the RNC, I'd send you a lifetime supply of branded coasters.

90% of the public has no idea what is all in that bill that they like. Probably more than 90

See this is the problem people have with your postings. There were only 20 or so posts between yours and had you read them you you might understand that his signature is verified or his vote doesn't count.  That is equivalent to voter ID, it verifies the identity of the person casting the ballot.  
I'm glad you agree this is the case.  Now, we need to explain this to all those who say it has to be ID and try and get them on board and away from their straw man.  :thumbup:  

I'm glad you agree this is the case.  Now, we need to explain this to all those who say it has to be ID and try and get them on board and away from their straw man.  :thumbup:  
The problem GA had was the logistics. They had such a huge number of mail in ballots this last cycle that it overwhelmed their clerks who are required to hand match the signatures to the signature on their voter application from however many years earlier. If they deemed it different enough, it would put a wait on the ballot application until they could contact the person direct to ask them to do it again for verification. This update made it so that they could just provide an ID number and avoid the signature matching process altogether.

I think I have the perfect solution here - one where both sides would reject out of hand:

Require thumbprints for all voter registrations and votes.

When they are the minority, they have little say.  That's not the D's fault though.
My point is...are we hey trying to even compromise?  This goes back to having the majority under Obama.  The party seems to have been about little more than obstruction with a Democrat in office for some time.  Even with control of  the senate...McConnell mainly tabled most things from a Democrat led House.

Can Democrats do better?  Sure...but I have not seen the GOP be ready to try for a while now

I never said that. I commented on your trust and others trust taking away rights because people didn't prioritize voting the way you and I do. You have moved thr goal posts all the way to this point. 

Because I don't know every state's voting laws and don't have the time to learn them all or really want too. I also don't think it is reasonable to ask anyone to know them all or have outrage about everything. Just because Georgia is subject doesn't mean I am not against things in New York or Alabama. I also don't have to bring up everything wrong in every state. 

However, if they are restricted for dumb reasons then yes I am against it. No matter who it benefits. 

More people voting is good. More people active is good. I also support any person , group of people,  business or corporations  right to take their business else where of they don't like rules they set or follow. I don't care if it is something as small as a personal boycott of a pizza place or an entire organization boycotting a state or country because of their laws/practices. It is our rights as Americans. 
The taxpayers of Georgia  funded that stadium with a perk of getting major events like the all star game.  I’m sure that was promised.    If MLB wants to play judge and jury, maybe they should finance their stadiums from now on, and don’t screw the people who built that shiny new stadium. 

Both parties say they want bipartisan and less divisive government but they only really want it when they are in the minority.    As soon as they have the majority all of that goes out the window.  Republican, Democrat, it doesn't matter.

I used to think it was a good thing to have one party in control of the White House and the other congress and/or senate but the Republican party has been so whacked out for the past 4-6 years I don't see me voting for a GOP candidate any time soon.

The taxpayers of Georgia  funded that stadium with a perk of getting major events like the all star game.  I’m sure that was promised.    If MLB wants to play judge and jury, maybe they should finance their stadiums from now on, and don’t screw the people who built that shiny new stadium. 
Or maybe taxpayers should stop subsidizing billionaires?

I used to think it was a good thing to have one party in control of the White House and the other congress and/or senate but the Republican party has been so whacked out for the past 4-6 years I don't see me voting for a GOP candidate any time soon.
I agree.  I am 100% serious and not at all kidding when I say the Republican party should be burned to the ground.  It's not that the US should become a one-party state or anything like that.  And it's certainly not that the Democratic party is perfect -- as the home of the woke cult, they have some folks who can give the QAnon shaman a run for his money in terms of insanity.  But the Democrats are still run mainly by rational adults, while the GOP seems incapable of pulling itself away people who have no business anywhere near government.  I'd rather see the Democrats just have uncontested power for a decade or so while some other party emerges as a competitive alternative.  I might not like that one either, but it'll be better than what we have now.

Here in Florida your signature isn't verified against the one you used to register to vote.  It's verified against the paper you sign requesting the ballot in the first place.  Maybe that's the same where fish is...not sure, but in my state what he's saying is correct.
This is also false.  Link. Do you just make this stuff up?

During the 2018 midterm elections, 32,176 total vote-by-mail ballots were tossed out due to signature mismatch in Florida. A voter’s signature on their vote-by-mail ballot must match a single signature on file, usually from a driver’s license or state ID.
They are supposed to verify your signature twice, once when you sign the form to request your ballot and again when you turn in your ballot. 
So first, let me start by acknowledging that I misspoke when I said "here in Florida". Apologies for the generalization.  That is inaccurate in this state.  All counties here have their own process so there are likely smaller counties who work the way your link says.  With that said, this is how it works for us in our county and how it works for those that were in the Voter ID thread when I was asking them about it when we moved here in 2017 (guys from Tampa area, Jax area, Miami area etc) and how it works for my in laws in south Florida.  I don't know anyone that doesn't go through this process.

I go to get my license and they ask if I want to also register to vote while I'm there.  Of course I do.  So I go through getting my license sign the electronic pad to put my signature on my license etc.  I go sit down and fill out the form to register to vote while they are getting my license in order.  There are a few questions, but the important ones ask me what party I want to register with (D, R, NPA) and do I want to participate in mail-in voting.  If I check, there's a box I have to sign (seperate from my license). 

At this point I'm on the list to be sent a mail in ballot request form.  I moved here in 2017, so 2018 elections roll around and I get the request form in the mail.  On it is my information and a barcode identifier that is unique to me and what I use to engage the county website for status updates.  On that request form it states clearly that this is a formal request for a ballot to be mailed to (insert my personal info, name, address, etc) and that my signature is consent to send the ballot AND to be used for ballot validation.  My ballot shows up and I vote. 

On my ballot there is a question for whether or not I want to continue with mail-in voting in the future.  If I check it, I'm all set for the same process for the following election.  On my 2020 ballot, there was an option that I could check basically saying that I was officially requesting mail-in ballots for 2020 AND 2022.  It's my understanding that I will not have to go through the ballot request process for 2022.  The ballot should just show up and they'll use my signature on file from this past election for validation.  

The entire process can be monitored via the county website all the way from "ballot requested by voter " to "ballot sent to voter" to "ballot processed and vote recorded" that I can track via that bar code I mentioned earlier.

There is a piece of legislation in the Florida legislature right now to get rid of the option to have ballots for two elections and have people answer the question every election cycle.  I don't have a problem with that, but some here do.  

We need to stop conflating "unifying politicians" and "unifying sides" and "unifying people".  The fringes are never going to unify.  And their loyal followers aren't going to unify either.  For example....."the people" have been on board with an "infrastructure week" for at least two election cycles WAITING for it to happen.  "The sides" are only on board when they are in charge.  There is going to be a large portion of the population very pleased with updates bridges, roads, broadband options, more stable electric grids and more options for electricity.  The list goes on.  That's the "unity" part.  Screw the bitters on the "sides" who don't like that the other side got it done or don't like HOW the other side did it.  A majority of people don't care much about that at all.  They just care that it's making things better for them.

Remember Obamacare?  It was the end of the world right?  Somehow, the GOP couldn't get rid of it when they held all three branches of the government.  Why?  Because the people that got it, who needed/wanted it like it.

Looks like 2020 was the 1st time they ever used drop boxes in GA.

So the four largest counties in Georgia had a total of 94 drop boxes for the very 1st time Georgia used drop boxes. This new law cuts those same four counties down to just 23. 

Fulton county (which is one of the four) alone had 36 drop boxes in 2020. It looks like this new law is cutting them down to about 6
2020 was the first time they used drop boxes because they were only added for the Covid pandemic. Now that we're expected to be coming out of the pandemic, they are reducing the number of drop boxes because they don't expect to have as many people using them.

2020 was the first time they used drop boxes because they were only added for the Covid pandemic. Now that we're expected to be coming out of the pandemic, they are reducing the number of drop boxes because they don't expect to have as many people using them.
Why go back to the days of voting before the pandemic? The people of this country got behind the new ways of voting by responding with record turnouts. 

The problem GA had was the logistics. They had such a huge number of mail in ballots this last cycle that it overwhelmed their clerks who are required to hand match the signatures to the signature on their voter application from however many years earlier. If they deemed it different enough, it would put a wait on the ballot application until they could contact the person direct to ask them to do it again for verification. This update made it so that they could just provide an ID number and avoid the signature matching process altogether.
There shouldn't be any question that some states who were brand new to doing mail-in ballots had some struggles.  It takes a few election cycles to work through the kinks IMO.  You're not going to get it right your first go around.  I'll take your word for it that all this is true.  My problem is, none of this has anything to do with voter ID as people love to claim and point to as if its the silver bullet that will fix everything.  This is clearly an example where voter ID wasn't going to fix the problem.

It's completely lazy to just throw up your hands and say "see, voting by mail doesn't work!!!!"  when your first attempt doesn't go perfectly.  Instead, they need to be honest with themselves and see where they can improve for the next time.  So if the above is true, then the solution is getting some technology in place to help with signature analysis or more bodies to help.  I haven't read the GA law to know what they are proposing as it doesn't really impact me directly.  I think four things need to be in place for vote by mail to be successful.

1.  A way to keep signatures up to date.
2.  An accurate way to verify signatures.
3.  Multiple ways for people to get their ballots to their voting locations quickly and easily.  This includes the mail and multiple drop boxes for people who might wait until the last minute for whatever reason.  They need to be plentiful and secured.  
4.  A way to track where you are in the ballot request/receive/return process.

You do those four things and you should be fine.

Honestly - I thought the conservatives fought for corporations to have a political voice in Citizens United.

How corporations, or groups, or leagues use that voice is really down to them, and what they perceive as their best interest.

But, states are free to ignore MLB, or other corporations when they try to exert pressure.  And, lets face it - if the public sides with the state - then the state feels no pressure.  If the public sides with the corporations - maybe the states should listen.
McConnell clarifies:

“My warning to corporate America is to stay out of politics,” McConnell said at a news conference in Kentucky on Tuesday, before adding: “I’m not talking about political contributions.”

So - money to candidates is still good, but otherwise, leave politics to the professional grifters.

If this freak-out over drop boxes finally gets folks on the LHS of the political spectrum to admit that Citizens United was rightly decided, it will have been worth it.  

We have only been completely unified 2-3 times in our modern history: December 8, 1941, November 23, 1963, September 12, 2001. In other words, there has to be some sort of significant attack against us. Hopefully we’ll never be unified like that again. 
Right now not even sure that would do it. Even then it would be short lived.

Why go back to the days of voting before the pandemic? The people of this country got behind the new ways of voting by responding with record turnouts. 
Why not go back to what was working for them before the pandemic rather than use something that was specifically designed for a pandemic situation? The state of Georgia is obviously not expecting 1.3 million people to continue to vote by mail or use the drop boxes. Reducing the number of drop boxes that the state has to manage/maintain/secure then makes sense.

I believed the stated reason for these new laws was something along the lines of making sure that Georgia has fair and secure elections

I buy that adding the ID number to an absentee ballot is in line with that reasoning.

Decreasing the number of drop boxes however is a much tougher sell.

How does reducing the number of drop boxes increase election security?

Keep in mind that the ballots that are being dropped in those boxes will now have the newly required ID on them.

I believed the stated reason for these new laws was something along the lines of making sure that Georgia has fair and secure elections

I buy that adding the ID number to an absentee ballot is in line with that reasoning.

Decreasing the number of drop boxes however is a much tougher sell.

How does reducing the number of drop boxes increase election security?

Keep in mind that the ballots that are being dropped in those boxes will now have the newly required ID on them.
See my last post.

Why not go back to what was working for them before the pandemic rather than use something that was specifically designed for a pandemic situation? The state of Georgia is obviously not expecting 1.3 million people to continue to vote by mail or use the drop boxes. Reducing the number of drop boxes that the state has to manage/maintain/secure then makes sense.
Don't EXPECT or don't WANT 1.3 million to vote by mail/use drop boxes?

Them as in Republicans? The voters seemed to embrace the new pandemic voter policies.
There was an ongoing pandemic with lock downs in place. People were literally told not to go out, not to gather in groups, not to co-mingle with people outside of their quarantine circle. I think that it's a huge assumption that they "embraced" that. Yet, still, the ability to continue that process if they prefer it is not being taken away from them yet people are acting like it is.

Don't EXPECT or don't WANT 1.3 million to vote by mail/use drop boxes?
Probably both since it was a management nightmare for them before. The ability is still there for them to use drop boxes. If they have to drive 3 miles to get to their drop box vs 2, I don't think that will hinder them at all. If they don't want to or can't drive then they still have the ability to mail it in just like everyone else.

There are not less places to vote. They lowered the num ber of drop boxes because Covid won't be a thing in the next elections as it was in 2020 and therefore are not needed.  There is MORE time to vote now than before. Showing ID is required to get a mail in ballot where before you only needed a signature. This was not only a poor form of verification but very time consuming for clerks to have to compare hundreds of thousands of signatures to original voting applications that may be years old.
What is the benefit of fewer drop boxes? 

Thats it? It is a blatant attempt to suppress black votes because they cant hand out food and drinks? Thats quite a stretch. If you want to call out the law, cool. If you want to make it out to be racist, i need to see a bit more than food and drink.  

One of America's first Black CEOs slams 'bone-headed' Georgia law as blatant attempt to suppress Black vote

In the interview, the former Time Warner and CBS CEO slammed the Georgia law as "bone-headed," a blatant attempt to suppress the Black vote and a "ruse" that pretends to be aimed at safeguarding elections.

Parsons, who calls himself a lifelong Rockefeller Republican, called out the Georgia law for imposing restrictions around offering food and drink to voters waiting in line at polling places. He pointed out that Black voters in Georgia wait significantly longer than White voters.

"What does feeding somebody or giving somebody a glass of water have to do with fraud?" Parsons asked. "It's just a bald-faced attempt to prevent or suppress the number of Black voters who show up to vote in Georgia. We felt as a corporate community that we needed to call the legislature out, hold them accountable."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/06/business/****-parsons-georgia-voting-law/index.html

That’s fine for next time

But what about his point about this time?
This was the post - emphasis mine.

As for the speculation that MLB "promised an all-star game" - I don't think that MLB was really involved in the decision by the Braves to move out of Atlanta and into the suburbs.  I think that was the Braves looking at their majority white customer base, and moving the stadium closer to where they live.  The benefit is not an all-star game.  The benefit is a better game day experience (i.e. not a 3 hour round trip commute), and the promise of better attendance.

Not sure of a benefit per se, but the explanation:

Drop boxes allow voters to submit their ballots early into locked containers, rather than relying on sending them in via post or standing in long lines on election day.

Democrats say the new law reduces the number of these boxes, making it harder to vote.

There will be fewer in forthcoming elections, but this needs to be put in context.

Prior to the 2020 election, drop boxes weren't used in Georgia. They were brought in as part of emergency Covid action.

The new law does significantly reduce the number of drop boxes from the 2020 level.

For example, Fulton County says it will go down from 38 to eight drop boxes.

The new law also means the boxes will be held in buildings and can only be accessed in the hours that early voting is allowed, rather than 24 hours a day as was the case in 2020.

But Georgia Governor Brian Kemp says: "People act like we're taking something away - it never existed until the pandemic, it was done by emergency rule, not by legislative action."

Although the new law reduces the amount of drop boxes across Georgia compared with the last election cycle, it does make them a permanent feature in future elections in the state.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56650565

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/11009/mississippi-elections-chief-warns-biden-may-register-uninformed-woke-college-voters/

On March 26, Watson claimed during an interview with WLOX that Biden was “basically employing all the federal agencies, universities and colleges to register as many folks as they can via this automatic voter registration.” Biden’s order does not mention colleges, universities or automatic registration.

“So think about all those woke college and university students now who will automatically be registered to vote whether they wanted to or not. Again, if they didn’t know to opt-out, they’re going to be automatically registered to vote and then they receive this mail-in ballot that they probably didn’t know was coming because they didn’t know they were registered to vote,” the Mississippi Republican said.

“You’ve got an uninformed citizen who may not be prepared and ready to vote. Automatically, it’s forced on them: ‘Hey, go make a choice.’ And our country’s going to pay for those choices.”
When you have Republicans making arguments like this, it just makes it more clear what the intentions are for this bill. Republicans are well aware the younger generations hate them and trying to suppress the vote is the only chance they have unless they drastically change the party.

Fewer to have to maintain, manage & secure. Every county still gets at least one & counties with larger populations get more. Outside of a pandemic situation, most of the drop boxes they currently have would remain empty and/or receive very few ballots. Why keep that many if most of them are not going to be used and it only takes a few more minutes to travel to the next one?

Completely separate issue and without going into all the details this probably false. The MLB is jury and executioner on where they do their business. 

Users who are viewing this thread