What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

deGrom (1 Viewer)

I'm 54.  The two best pitchers I've ever seen were 1985 Gooden and prime Sox Pedro Martinez.  deGrom has passed Gooden and is in the discussion with Pedro right now.  We could be watching a really special season here with this start.
I think Randy Johnson and Clemens belong on that list with them.

Agree that this could be a year of something special, though.

1968 Bob Gibson has entered the chat.

(although you would have been 3 when he was at his most dominate, so he may not count.)

I’m as boomer as the next guy but I don’t agree here. There are a lot more guys that throw in the high 90s these days, so batters are able to adjust to that speed. Not saying Ryan wouldn’t still be a HOF pitcher, but no one got close to his velocity back then. DeGrom has the velocity and the pinpoint accuracy and movement.
Strikeouts are up every year because the batting approach has changed. Thats what hes talking about.
No question strikeouts are at historical highs, as are HRs. But that doesn't mean that pitchers have much more of an edge than in past years: other hitting metrics like batting average, runs/game, slugging percentage, and OPS do not seem to indicate any sort of trend (although batting average this year so far is the worst on record).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

I'm 54.  The two best pitchers I've ever seen were 1985 Gooden and prime Sox Pedro Martinez.  deGrom has passed Gooden and is in the discussion with Pedro right now.  We could be watching a really special season here with this start.

We may want to pump the brakes on these comparisons.  This was only deGrom's 4th complete game and only 2nd shutout of his CAREER.

I understand the game is played differently today and pitchers are just not expected to go more than 6/7 innings, but Gooden/Ryan/Johnson/Clemens would have had that many by mid April.

We may want to pump the brakes on these comparisons.  This was only deGrom's 4th complete game and only 2nd shutout of his CAREER.

I understand the game is played differently today and pitchers are just not expected to go more than 6/7 innings, but Gooden/Ryan/Johnson/Clemens would have had that many by mid April.
I see your point, although I do think that DeGrom has surpassed Gooden (who had one mega year that people seem to hyper-focus on) . Many in NY are comparing deGrom to Seaver as the best Met pitcher of all time, and that's pushing it way too far IMO at this point. 

Last edited by a moderator:

As of the end of last season, in 170 career starts deGrom allowed one or no runs 79 times. Going back to 2018, the leader in shutouts has either 1 or 2 shut outs in that given year.  They just don't happen anymore.

I think Randy Johnson and Clemens belong on that list with them.

Agree that this could be a year of something special, though.
I would agree on Johnson.  Hard for me to include Clemens with all the speculation and his "miraculous" turnaround in Toronto.
Clemens is a lot like Bonds in that he probably a HOFer even before he allegedly started juicing.  His 86/87/90 seasons are pretty phenomenal.

Expand  
As of the end of last season, in 170 career starts deGrom allowed one or no runs 79 times. Going back to 2018, the leader in shutouts has either 1 or 2 shut outs in that given year.  They just don't happen anymore.
Completely understand (which is why I said: I understand the game is played differently today and pitchers are just not expected to go more than 6/7 innings )

deGrom is amazing, but let's look at WAR, which love it or hate it takes into account the times they played in.  I like WAR7 to compare peaks, but that wouldn't be fair to deGrom who hasn't really pitched 7 "full" seasons.  So I reduced it to WAR5 and here is where deGrom fits in with the best pitcher of the last 40 years (since 1981)

1.  Clemens 49.2*

2. Johnson 46.9

3. Martinez 45.8

4. Maddux 42.3

5. Halladay 39.6

6. Verlander 38.4

7. Schilling 37.7

8. Kershaw 36.3

9. J. Santana 35.6

10. Steib 35.4

11. Max Scherzer 35.2

11. Dave Steib 35.2

13. Greinke 34.7

14. Appier 34.1

15. Mussina 33.7

16. Viola 32.9

17. Langston 32.2

18. deGrom 30.7

19. F. Hernandez 29.9

20. Gooden 29.4

Even if you say, well deGrom hasn't really even had 5 "full" seasons - give him his total WAR of 38 - that averages to 37 starts a year by the way - he still is only barely at 7th place.

FYI:  Seaver would have been at 42.6

14. Appier 34.1
Good pitcher back in the day, but never would have thought of him in this category in a million years. 
Surprised me too.  His WAR7 was 43.1 (all in the 90s)  He was a very good overlooked pitcher.

One guy I forgot was Kevin Brown - His WAR5 was 36.7 but some speculate he was roided up too.

Surprised me too.  His WAR7 was 43.1 (all in the 90s)  He was a very good overlooked pitcher.

One guy I forgot was Kevin Brown - His WAR5 was 36.7 but some speculate he was roided up too.
I could see Brown and roids. He was one angry mofo.

Completely understand (which is why I said: I understand the game is played differently today and pitchers are just not expected to go more than 6/7 innings )

deGrom is amazing, but let's look at WAR, which love it or hate it takes into account the times they played in.  I like WAR7 to compare peaks, but that wouldn't be fair to deGrom who hasn't really pitched 7 "full" seasons.  So I reduced it to WAR5 and here is where deGrom fits in with the best pitcher of the last 40 years (since 1981)

1.  Clemens 49.2*

2. Johnson 46.9

3. Martinez 45.8

4. Maddux 42.3

5. Halladay 39.6

6. Verlander 38.4

7. Schilling 37.7

8. Kershaw 36.3

9. J. Santana 35.6

10. Steib 35.4

11. Max Scherzer 35.2

11. Dave Steib 35.2

13. Greinke 34.7

14. Appier 34.1

15. Mussina 33.7

16. Viola 32.9

17. Langston 32.2

18. deGrom 30.7

19. F. Hernandez 29.9

20. Gooden 29.4

Even if you say, well deGrom hasn't really even had 5 "full" seasons - give him his total WAR of 38 - that averages to 37 starts a year by the way - he still is only barely at 7th place.

FYI:  Seaver would have been at 42.6
So, interestingly enough, Santana is 9th on that list and I watched pretty much every start he had with the Mets.  I wouldn't start him over deGrom any day of the week.  I don't care what the numbers there say.

So, interestingly enough, Santana is 9th on that list and I watched pretty much every start he had with the Mets.  I wouldn't start him over deGrom any day of the week.  I don't care what the numbers there say.
He was dominant and won 2 Cy Youngs with the Twins (should have won 3).  You caught him after his peak. (and his peak was pretty short)

It's been almost 100 years since a player made a pitching start while also leading the Majors in home runs (Babe Ruth; June 13, 1921).

Shohei Ohtani is T1 with 7 HR. He's scheduled to start today

zamboni said:
Penguin said:
That Bob Gibson season was amazing

22-9  1.12 ERA  28 CG and 13 Shutouts
The question I’ve always had is how did he lose 9 games that year? Only 11 unearned runs.
In the 10 games that the Cards lost (he got tagged with 9 of the losses) his team scored 17 runs and he gave up 22 earned runs.

He got beat 3 times with his team getting shut out.

But it was 1968, everyone was pitching from a 10 foot hill, so I assume there were a lot of 2-1, 1-0 games.

In the 10 games that the Cards lost (he got tagged with 9 of the losses) his team scored 17 runs and he gave up 22 earned runs.

He got beat 3 times with his team getting shut out.

But it was 1968, everyone was pitching from a 10 foot hill, so I assume there were a lot of 2-1, 1-0 games.
Sounds a lot like DeGrom’s run support for the vast majority of his starts over the last 5 years.

I see your point, although I do think that DeGrom has surpassed Gooden (who had one mega year that people seem to hyper-focus on) . Many in NY are comparing deGrom to Seaver as the best Met pitcher of all time, and that's pushing it way too far IMO at this point. 
I think deGrom has passed Gooden and the conversation with Seaver can be had but only with thinking he needs another year or 2 at this level to say he passes him. We could be witnessing it and that's what makes it so cool, imo.

I think deGrom has passed Gooden and the conversation with Seaver can be had but only with thinking he needs another year or 2 at this level to say he passes him. We could be witnessing it and that's what makes it so cool, imo.
Agree about Gooden. 

Very anxious to watch him tonight against Boston.  Coming off the last 4 starts, especially the last one, facing a team that hasn't seen him much but has a really good offense. It's been a long time since I felt like the Mets were appointment television.

Very anxious to watch him tonight against Boston.  Coming off the last 4 starts, especially the last one, facing a team that hasn't seen him much but has a really good offense. It's been a long time since I felt like the Mets were appointment television.
New game, same story...

Lol I saw the score scroll by that the Mets were down 1-0 and I thought DeGrom must be pitching. Sure enough..

Lol I saw the score scroll by that the Mets were down 1-0 and I thought DeGrom must be pitching. Sure enough..
Same thing I asked. Red Sox on in the background, 1-0, bottom of the ninth, "Who pitched for the Mets? deGrom?" Sure enough. 

He’s 1-3 with an RBI. 
Not too many pitchers can go 1-3 and see their average drop by a bit.

As far as that other thing he does, it’s just otherworldly. Never have seen such consistently dominating performances by a pitcher. Far beyond even Maddux in his prime, Gooden in 1985 or Guidry in 1978. I wasn’t even born just yet,  but closest I can think of is Bob Gibson in 1968.

Lowest ERA thru 1st 8 starts of season, since mound lowered (1969), min 45 IP:

1981 Fernando Valenzuela: 0.50

1980 Mike Norris: 0.52 2009

Zack Greinke: 0.60 2021

Jacob deGrom: 0.71

My favorite stat from last night? 671 pitches into his year, deGrom throws his first curveball of the season. 85mph strike. 🤪

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with deGrom, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, deGrom throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, deGrom decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.'

Did I ever tell you about the time I went horseback riding with deGrom, but there weren’t any horses around? Well, deGrom throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my stamina increases with each day and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, deGrom decides to enter me in the Breeders’ Cup, right, under the name Turkish Delight. And I’m running in second place, and I’m running and I break my ankle! They’re about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human.'
I should not have paused so long after reading the bolded...  But I did.  Still a good story though.

Users who are viewing this thread