What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Challenges Of A Forum With A Business (1 Viewer)

Sure buddy.  We can agree to disagree but I am sure there are metrics that you can dive into that compare time periods. 
Of course. The front page is there for everyone to see. :shrug:  All the posts have counts and comments on them. It's not a mystery. 

I think the message boards suffered more due to Twitter and Reddit though. 
100%. The boards started for many of us when Twitter wasn't even around. There was a time when almost all the writers on Staff were found from the forums. That all happens on Twitter now as that's where the audience is. It's reality. The boards changed from a way to build an audience to a way to foster community. And I think they do that well. I've had tons of folks tell me how they've made friends here and built community. That's way more important to me. 

Sure but this board had a great history with a lot of close knit posters.  Its been decimated in the past 24 months.  It just has.  Damn we had some great Tshirt exchanges and whatnot. 
The ***** years were bad, that is for sure. It got ugly here and everywhere. I also saw people posting more vitriol, antagonism and hate than I had ever seen here before. People behaved poorly, flat out. 

100%. The boards started for many of us when Twitter wasn't even around. There was a time when almost all the writers on Staff were found from the forums. That all happens on Twitter now as that's where the audience is. It's reality. The boards changed from a way to build an audience to a way to foster community. And I think they do that well. I've had tons of folks tell me how they've made friends here and built community. That's way more important to me. 
100%. I used to get a lot of news, fantasy and otherwise from here. Now that is all on Twitter. As is commentary and well everything. The reason I come here is the community. There are posters here who have genuinely become part of my life and it's little habits, who I know share interests in movies or music or fantasy. I just come to see talk to them mostly. 

Maybe this comes across as whining. If so....oh well.

I'm the poster that wrote the email. Obviously this is my alias.  If this post "exposing" that (not that it would be hard to figure out) results in this username being TO'd as well, so be it. See ya'll in a month.

IMO, using my email as an example (while not giving me the courtesy of a direct response first.....or at all) is pretty disrespectful.  You also left out the first part of the email, which I think is relevant to the conversation.

In no way was I attempting to "big time" you with a "do you know who I am???" mentality. Not sure why you took it that way. I was merely trying to provide some context for my frustration.

My frustration is not with the "change" we've seen in the forums.(in terms of what is and isn't allowed) It wasn't even with the suspensions themselves (The PSF is volatile, so my language wasn't great. My Kuzma joke the other day could certainly be considered offensive to some...at the very least, the individual who felt the need to report me). 

My frustration was that....by simply banning posters without any sort of warning or explanation (not that I couldn't figure out why I was banned) you're essentially saying that...in your mind.....our years of supporting your business and helping you build this community (which, whether you accept it or not.....helps drive your business) dont even justify spending 30 seconds to send a PM saying "hey, that's not appropriate. Please knock it off".

I think there's a difference between expecting "special treatment" and hoping for a little leeway when you make a small mistake at a business that you've patronized for DECADES.

I know not to expect that now. I'll adjust my behavior accordingly (regardless of what name I post under) and as I said....I'll be voting with my wallet. My business clearly isn't valued, so I'll respectfully take it elsewhere.

TLEF
You're supposed to throw pennies on the floor on the way out.

It is known.

Understood. As I said above, I'll talk to the moderators about shorter suspensions.

I don't agree the moderators see it where "context isn't remotely considered or given an ounce of time".  It's a thankless job and they work a lot harder than just a drive by quota fill thing you're accusing them of. 
Thanks for considering shortening some. I understand it's thankless.

My "drive by" comment was something that I "perceive" what happens on some of these. It wasn't meant to be an accusation. Especially when the reason given is "spamming" because they can't give it anything else I guess

[icon] said:
I feel them on some levels. Moderation, the departure of Dodds, and  overall tone from leadership (on politics, social justice, etc) are why I'll also be shifting my FF subscription spend elsewhere. 

I'd been trying other sites over the last few years while retaining FBG. This year those factors (combined with a perceived dip in relative accuracy) have me officially pulling the plug. 

Will likely still be active on the forums in spurts here and there, and do wish the FBG crew nothing but the best. 

I too am really bummed about Dodds leaving ...you may want to reconsider with Pat Fitzmagic joining the crew.  Pat has been a hammer for years - and is a good dude.  

Also people saying they have been suspended or banned for nothing, I call BS. I've been on here probably 12 years with a #### ton of posts and I have been suspended once and for a total misunderstanding. I made a joke about Irish-Americans trying to be self deprecating because I am in fact Irish-American. I don't buy all these people claiming they get suspended for nothing. 
I was accused of being racist against white people.

I responded with, "Yes, I hate all you stupid crackers."

@Andy Dufresne was kind enough to report me, and I was suspended for it. 

I really hate to admit it, 'cause I KNOW there are people here who get uncomfortable about conversations surrounding race strictly because of my avatar ( @Jaysus  :hey: ), but I AM white from the waist up. 

Which I really didn't find nearly as head scratching as being banned for posting with an alias while my main account was suspended. Except I had NO account(s) suspended at the time. I simply happened to be posting from an old laptop and was being lazy about signing out/signing back in. 

Now, that's sandwiched by plenty of DGA...goshdarn... instances of a ######## simply needing to be called a ########. But, yeah, stuff happens sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally missed that Dodds was gone. That makes me feel really old. I think I remember when he teamed up with Joe.  That was the whole Cheatsheets.net transition, right?

BassNBrew said:
Have you found any other boards as good as this one?  

I understand your position, but do you get Tipsy to come cook with you at Rotogrinders?  Does the owner of FFToday talk BBQ with you?  I realize that there are many things on the "cons" list, but are you taking the time to assemble the "pro" list?  

Did @Chadstromasave you a few hundred on a mortgage?

Did @Todem make you hundreds / thousands on Bloomin Onion?

Did "get your popcorn ready" guy knock a year off your retirement?

Did the guy who stated the Coronavirus thread give you a heads up such that your significant other wasn't using newspaper for TP for 3 months?

Did @icongive you a great tip on where to find ammo?

I've had my disagreements with J in the past on several subjects, but I don't know a business owner that works harder and is more engaged with his customers.  
Wait.... where can we get ammo?! 

I have been around a while. I am not sure when exactly but I believe it was when I started getting into Fantasy Football which was around 1999 (Sadly, I did not party like it was). 

I have been in and out of the boards. At times, posting likely too much and then at times going a few months without even checking in. 

I have got a ton of great value on this board and even though it is free, it is a big reason why I pay for the pay services on this site even though I spend way more time on the free area than the paid area. 

The things that make this board superior to other boards I have visited and not returned to is really two things: 1) The quality of the people on this board is far better than what you normally encounter pretty much anywhere else on the internet or real life. The guys and gals on this board tend to be smarter than your average bear. I have found the interactions on subjects that I actually something about to be exceptional and the areas that I don't know anything or at least very little about the subject are enlightening. 2) The fact that there are rules makes it so it is not the wild, wild, wild west of message boards. I mean, some of these boards are painful to even read. 

Now, I detest the cancel culture and have significant issues with what we see today in social and corporate circles with what is without doubt censorship and suppression of ideas. The thing about this group is that I have never seen a suppression of legitimate ideas. I do see them try to keep how things are discussed and presented in check. Though it has been a long time, I remember getting at least two time outs. One of them I thought was ridiculous and the other I understood. I don't remember what the ridiculous thing was exactly because I am am old.... which means that I both do not remember due to poor recall and that I am not a baby and hold grudges for no reason. 

I can understand the PIA of having this board for those tasked with moderating it. Being a moderator doesn't make someone perfect so yes, there are bound to be disagreements on what should or should not be given a time out or banned etc on because it is all subjective in nature. I also know that if there was not message board, Footballguys.com would see a significant decline in membership. 

I have made some great connections with a lot of great guys and gals off line because of this group. From a really cool meet up in Chicago circa 2008 to conversations over the phone and helping some out with their finances/mortgages. 

I, for one, welcome our Reptilian moderator overlords. 

Yeah, not sure if you followed him when he was last posting here but it was weird to say the least. 
I remember that.  It was a couple years ago, right? Mostly in political threads IIRC, which I tend to stay far away from so never experienced that particular weirdness first hand. :wheatpennies:

About the OP - a "Be way more cool" might have been better.  

I've been suspended  four times.  Twice I was a textbook ####### and told someone to bleep off.  I welcomed the week off.

The third time was weird. A young rapper named Ducks died (and keep in mind we're mostly old and had no familiarity with him) and all the puns we're flowing. But suddenly a mod went berzerk and lumped us all together for "mocking the death of a fellow FBG" or some such.  It was entirely lighthearted, and even the most polite of the polite (Zamboni) got hit with the month-sized ban stick.

And then I dusted off my circa 2004 account and flew under the radar for 29 days until I said a discouraging word in a forum which won't be named, and I got a three-monther - and I welcomed that too. ... except for the SP game threads.  It really sucked not being allowed to chirp in the Sunday threads.

Plot twist:  I scrounged $59 from the couch cushions and bought an FBG subscription for the first time in five years.  

I don't post very often, but really enjoy the forums

There entertaining and educational from my viewpoint. 

Thanks Joe.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I post a miniscule amount compared to what I used to.  I've been banned for nothing 2x now so it's not even worth getting into it.  I like reading the shark board during draft time but that's about it.  This board has been strangled with over moderation in Joe's attempt to get woke.   I mean damn he killed the yoga pants thread because he thought it was an insult to women.   I get its his board but if he doesn't see how he is killing it slowly then I don't know what to say.  

Again he banned me, a poster over 15 years, for 4 months for simply saying it's moronic to think that biden stole the election.  Damn let that sink in.  How the hell is that productive?  
C'mon - there had to be more than that

I can say that I appreciate that the political forum was created so we don't have to sift through all that dreck in the FFA - and that it is kept in that hole.  
This is why I started visiting the FFA regularly last year. I've mostly been SP-only since I joined back in the Old Yeller days because at some point the FFA became unreadable with all the political arguments and I stopped visiting. Once I had more time on my hands due to the pandemic and noticed that the political stuff had been relegated to another subforum, I started coming to the FFA regularly and got drawn to the music threads. 

This is why I started visiting the FFA regularly last year. I've mostly been SP-only since I joined back in the Old Yeller days because at some point the FFA became unreadable with all the political arguments and I stopped visiting. Once I had more time on my hands due to the pandemic and noticed that the political stuff had been relegated to another subforum, I started coming to the FFA regularly and got drawn to the music threads. 
This note is for you

I don't come around much anymore because of how it is now. Came here for years to shoot the #### and laugh. Maybe learn something. Then it got to where you have to be careful what you say and the topics you discuss. Just not interested in that. Not that anyone cares. Doesn't upset me. I just choose to not go somewhere like that much. Very different than it once was. 

Yeah, not sure if you followed him when he was last posting here but it was weird to say the least. 
I know you’re referring to his postings in the PSF but he still posts around here. Stock thread in particular. 

*should have read further down. B&B addressed it.  

I don't come around much anymore because of how it is now. Came here for years to shoot the #### and laugh. Maybe learn something. Then it got to where you have to be careful what you say and the topics you discuss. Just not interested in that. Not that anyone cares. Doesn't upset me. I just choose to not go somewhere like that much. Very different than it once was. 
That’s unfortunate 

This thread has been an interesting read. 

This forum is far less interesting than it used to be, and I think I still come here out of habit more than anything.  

While I think the Politics subforum is a mess (one I admittedly participate in on occasion, usually if the music or TV show threads I like are showing little or not activity), I think if it went away, the forum would collapse. There is too much ill will between many there now, and that would seep into threads they post in elsewhere on the forum, if they even stick around, which I suspect many would not as it seems like quite a few live to post in that subforum all day and nowhere else.

I think moderating is tough, and I can't imagine doing it on a forum this big.  It is impossible to see everything, and I would imagine some really stupid stuff gets reported, so just having to wade through that is probably mind-numbing.  I think I have only been suspended once, like 14-15 years ago for too much arguing about baseball or something, and I am pretty sure I deserved it. :lol:    I don't think it is that hard to not get suspended, but I get that some like to run their mouths and stir it up.  That said, the suspensions do seem to be arbitrary, and it is unfortunate that posters with years of equity built up and/or subscriptions are not given any extra leeway in such situations.  That seems like a bad way to run things. 

I know Joe will say, "This is how we are doing things around here now," but the minute this forum got woke and too PC, the downhill descent began and there is no way to stop it now.  

IMO, there are basically 2 methods of moderation which will create a respectful environment of thriving, mostly happy posters:

1. light-handed approach, relying largely on warnings and short suspensions, with the ultimate goal of correcting the behavior of nonconforming posters.

2. heavy-handed approach, with the ultimate goal of just eliminating nonconforming posters.

Both methods can be effective. Obviously, method #2 will lead to a much smaller user base, but such result could be considered to be a feature (not a bug) depending on your point of view.

I don't come around much anymore because of how bad it is now. Came here for years to shoot the #### and love Lovie. Then it got to where you have to be be proud of John Fox and support moving up for Trubisky. Just not interested in that. Not that anyone cares. Doesn't upset me. I just choose to not go somewhere like that much. Very different than it was in 85. 

I know Joe will say, "This is how we are doing things around here now," but the minute this forum got woke and too PC, the downhill descent began and there is no way to stop it now.  
Thanks for the insights @Ghost Rider I disagree with the above but fully understand others may agree with you. I've said from the start I don't know if the way we're doing things is the right way. It's the way that feels right for us. 

The third time was weird. A young rapper named Ducks died (and keep in mind we're mostly old and had no familiarity with him) and all the puns we're flowing. But suddenly a mod went berzerk and lumped us all together for "mocking the death of a fellow FBG" or some such.  It was entirely lighthearted, and even the most polite of the polite (Zamboni) got hit with the month-sized ban stick.
Yep - same here.  That mod seemed to not understand what happened.  Many of us said how freaked out we were thinking GB Duck had passed away.  I did make a joke after realizing it wasn’t our Duck - maybe worth a couple days or something - maybe just hide the post or better yet just warn the entire thread - handing out a bunch of 30 day bans was not warranted.

Yep - same here.  That mod seemed to not understand what happened.  Many of us said how freaked out we were thinking GB Duck had passed away.  I did make a joke after realizing it wasn’t our Duck - maybe worth a couple days or something - maybe just hide the post or better yet just warn the entire thread - handing out a bunch of 30 day bans was not warranted.
I remember when that happened. That was 100% the moderator not understanding. Reports started flooding in that people were mocking a footballguys poster who had died. That's obviously not something we'd allow. We should have spent more time in trying to completely understand the details and we failed there. 

I am sensing a pattern here..........
Me too. 

You were suspended three days years ago (September 9, 2013) for telling another poster:

please kill yourself
Your next one on April 20, 2014 was 7 days.

And it doesn't get any gayer than #bostonstrong. 
You've had quite a few more over the years.

We get it you feel you've been mistreated here. We disagree. 

Please drop it here and let's move forward. 

Last post on this thread.

You are proving my point that I am trying to make.  That context matters as you just acknowledged with AAA.  Pulling out random posts without any backstory, who they are to, what was leading up to it etc. is disingenuous.  You guys are simply pointing and firing.  But sure man thats cool its your board but you started this thread I assume looking for feedback.   As others have mentioned and discussed, I think you throwing down 4 month bans has shredded this board of posters.  Not sure why 3-5 days wouldnt work.  So I was popped in 2013, 2014 and then 2020.  I would hardly say I am repeat offender in 15+ years. 

Last post on this thread.
Thanks. 

Much of his thread has been helpful and I think it's been good to hear folk's feedback on shortening suspensions and that's something we've already been doing the last few months. We'll keep trying to make it the best we can. Thanks. 

As a newish poster who migrated from another board, I was kind of surprised by how civil people behaved here, both in FFA and political sub-forums. Having never been banned, I’m not sure how I feel about the moderation, but some of the examples in this thread do seem a bit heavy-handed.

That being said, this board is light years ahead of at least one of its competitors. I’d rather bite my tongue now and again than be immersed in the bigoted vitriol that passes as appropriate discussion elsewhere.

One other observation: it seems like every board longs for the “good old days”, lamenting those who no longer post. Or maybe just every board I frequent? 🤔

As a newish poster who migrated from another board, I was kind of surprised by how civil people behaved here, both in FFA and political sub-forums. Having never been banned, I’m not sure how I feel about the moderation, but some of the examples in this thread do seem a bit heavy-handed.

That being said, this board is light years ahead of at least one of its competitors. I’d rather bite my tongue now and again than be immersed in the bigoted vitriol that passes as appropriate discussion elsewhere.

One other observation: it seems like every board longs for the “good old days”, lamenting those who no longer post. Or maybe just every board I frequent? 🤔
Thank you. Your story is what we're hoping for. 

I know some people think this is me forcing my beliefs or "preaching". I don't see it that way. There are lots of ways to build a forum or business or culture. Barstool has been a zillion times more successful than Footballguys and they do things differently than we do. There are insanely popular reddit forums that do things differently than we do. I'm not saying we're right. I'm saying this is how we're trying to do it. 

I don't know if the heavy handed moderation here is what helps keep this community such a civil and decent place, but I am confident that it could be much more fair.  I am one who received a 30 day ban for what I believe was my first offense, and for what I still consider to be a pretty trivial one at that.  I had never been warned, and to my knowledge, had never offended or hurt anyone with anything I had posted here prior to that incident (10+ years).  It happened to take place right as the fantasy playoffs were starting as well, which made it even more frustrating.  I admit, at the time, I was certain that I would not be subscribing going forward due to that.  I've moved to on the fence at this point, in regards to subscribing, but the suspension still doesn't sit well with me.

I don't envy you trying to keep this forum a place you don't mind being a representation of your business, and I recognize that you cannot get caught up in every person who feels they've been handled unfairly.  I guess I would just hope that you guys can find some better framework by which the moderators work.  The inconsistency is maddening.  I don't think the moderation is slanted in anyway, political or otherwise, I just think it's wildly inconsistent.

I don't know if the heavy handed moderation here is what helps keep this community such a civil and decent place, but I am confident that it could be much more fair.  I am one who received a 30 day ban for what I believe was my first offense, and for what I still consider to be a pretty trivial one at that.  I had never been warned, and to my knowledge, had never offended or hurt anyone with anything I had posted here prior to that incident (10+ years).  It happened to take place right as the fantasy playoffs were starting as well, which made it even more frustrating.  I admit, at the time, I was certain that I would not be subscribing going forward due to that.  I've moved to on the fence at this point, in regards to subscribing, but the suspension still doesn't sit well with me.

I don't envy you trying to keep this forum a place you don't mind being a representation of your business, and I recognize that you cannot get caught up in every person who feels they've been handled unfairly.  I guess I would just hope that you guys can find some better framework by which the moderators work.  The inconsistency is maddening.  I don't think the moderation is slanted in anyway, political or otherwise, I just think it's wildly inconsistent.
Thanks. I don't disagree consistency is a challenge.

In your case it was in a vaccine thread where tensions were high and we'd asked posters to be more cool and your post was, 

This is such cheap, talk radio, hot take garbage.
Posts like those are gasoline on the fire of bad discussion.

They set off a flurry of downward spiral posts and the thread usually goes off the rails and dies.

Fortunately, I think we're in much less tense situation. If that post happened today, I think it would be a short warning. 

But I hear you and understand. 

We realize full well how much people hate suspensions. I have people who email me ranting about a suspension they received years ago where the moderator they felt was not fair and it turns in their mind into I personally did something to them. So I get it. 

Users who are viewing this thread