What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daily Beast Reports the Columbus Girl was Unarmed and Knife was Lying on the Ground (2 Viewers)

I agree with your last sentence. And I agree that he fails to grasp his influence. He’s no politician. 

But in my book, a despicable act is one that’s deliberate. I will forgive almost any mistake. That’s why I’m having a problem with the prosecution of this woman who shot Daunte Wright. If she really thought she had a taser in her hand then she was making a mistake. It’s very different from Chauvin. 
Good god.  This man is a marketing, advertising POWERHOUSE and you fools think he doesn't grasp his influence? You just can't be that oblivious can you? Really?  Sometimes I seriously question things around here.

In other news...

9 children shot, 60 adults present. Not one person talks to Police.  And zero tweets from LeBron.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nine-injured-after-gunfire-erupts-12-year-old-s-birthday-n1264569
The fear among the black community of police is so irrationally out of whack with reality and the LeBron tweet plays into that.  I doubt in a 10 year period, police across the country shot anywhere near 9 unarmed black children, but thousands have been shot by black gang members and perpetrators.  This irrational hate and fear of police is dangerous and is a big part of the nation's divide, and the blame lies mostly with our woke activists/politicians, our woke media, our woke sports leagues, our woke entertainment industry, and our woke tech giants.  THEY ARE THE MAJOR PART OF PROBLEM.

But hey, there is no bias out there.....wake the f up.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The fear among the black community of police is so irrationally out of whack with reality and the LeBron tweet plays into that.  I doubt in a 10 year period, police across the country shot anywhere near 9 unarmed black children, but thousands have been shot by black gang members and perpetrators.  This irrational hate and fear of police is dangerous and is a big part of the nation's divide, and the blame lies mostly with our woke activists/politicians, our woke media, our woke sports leagues, our woke entertainment industry, and our woke tech giants.  THEY ARE THE MAJOR PART OF PROBLEM.

This reads very much like a "stop punching yourself" directed at the civil rights movement. Minority distrust in police outdates all of us, it is not the fault of BLM or wokeness. 

The people at the party are not  afraid of the police they are afraid of reprisales for talking to police.   

This reads very much like a "stop punching yourself" directed at the civil rights movement. Minority distrust in police outdates all of us, it is not the fault of BLM or wokeness. 
The unprecedented level of anti-police hatred has gotten to a dangerous level.  It is funny how some endless excuse the hatefilled rhetoric from the left, but twist and extrapolate and condemn rhetoric from the right.  Wokeness is a cancer which a a problem bigger than racism that it claims to be against.

The people at the party are not  afraid of the police they are afraid of reprisales for talking to police.   
You are probably correct in that is a major reason.  But that also illustrates that gang thuggery is a much bigger problem than police.  But all we hear about from the wokist leftist like LeBron is how sick they are about hearing about police violence against blacks  and complete silence on the massive amount of crime that exists in these black communities.

We actually need to start blaming people more.  We are accepting and in some cases normalizing outright insane behavior.  We let our leaders say stupid, harmful ####.  We have created a culture where grievance is way more celebrated than accountability.

Blame Derek Chauvin

Blame bad cops

Blame the parents of the Toledo kid

Blame all of the morons involved in the kid knife fight

Blame Trump for the dumb #### he said

Blame Biden for the dumb #### he is saying

Blame people for reacting to a cop in a way that gets them killed

Blame the people that take advantage of the death of the dummy that reacted in a way that that got him killed.

Blame LeBron for his dumb #### (not limited to his last tweet)

Blame police unions

Blame the leaders of the cities where policing is bad

Blame the BLM/Woke fools (not all are fools but many are)

Blame the white supremacist fools

You are probably correct in that is a major reason.  But that also illustrates that gang thuggery is a much bigger problem than police.  But all we hear about from the wokist leftist like LeBron is how sick they are about hearing about police violence against blacks  and complete silence on the massive amount of crime that exists in these black communities.
Kind of like how LeBron is more afraid of offending ChiNA than a bunch of people that will buy his shoes and see his Bugs Bunny remake no matter how many stupid and irresponsible comments he makes about his own country.  

We actually need to start blaming people more.  We are accepting and in some cases normalizing outright insane behavior.  We let our leaders say stupid, harmful ####.  We have created a culture where grievance is way more celebrated than accountability.

Blame Derek Chauvin

Blame bad cops

Blame the parents of the Toledo kid

Blame all of the morons involved in the kid knife fight

Blame Trump for the dumb #### he said

Blame Biden for the dumb #### he is saying

Blame people for reacting to a cop in a way that gets them killed

Blame the people that take advantage of the death of the dummy that reacted in a way that that got him killed.

Blame LeBron for his dumb #### (not limited to his last tweet)

Blame police unions

Blame the leaders of the cities where policing is bad

Blame the BLM/Woke fools (not all are fools but many are)

Blame the white supremacist fools
I agree with this. (not with every line; there are a few specific exceptions I would make). But I agree with your overall point. 

So are you in the camp that believes that people with Twitter accounts that have large followings should be careful about what they tweet for fear of influencing others to bad actions?

This sure reminds me of some other well-known person (with  millions of followers) who says dangerous stuff. Not like his followers would really get violent though. 
I believe tonydead sums up your questions nicely

:lmao:   You’re trying to play But Trump Gotcha with someone who wasn’t even a Trump supporter. Try stop living in the past, IMO. 

Here's a write-up from the Washington Post on this story.  I'm not going to copy and paste the whole thing, but there's basically one paragraph in the entire piece that actually alludes to the fact that that the girl who got shot was in the process of committing attempted murder.  Here's that paragraph:

The footage released Wednesday shows a chaotic scene. The officer identified as Reardon arrives during a physical altercation involving several people. Reardon, who is White, can be seen emerging from his vehicle as Bryant appears to chase someone, who falls onto the sidewalk. The teen then turns toward someone else wearing a pink sweatsuit and takes a swing at her head, with what appears to be a blade briefly visible in her hand. The officer yells, “Get down!” multiple times before firing four shots at the girl, leaving her sprawled next to a car in the driveway.
Technically this is all accurate.  The aggressor did "appear" to chase somebody, and the reason why it appears that way is because that's in fact exactly what she was doing.  The reason why the thing in her hand "appears to be" a blade is because she was holding a knife.  "Taking a swing" at somebody's head while holding a knife is an action that we would normally just call a stabbing.  That's a lot of euphemism and misinformation packed into one paragraph.

And of course the rest of the story places this incident in the "evil police officer murders an innocent person who was just minding her own business" narrative, which we all know to be false in this case.

If they lie about stuff that I can see for myself on video, why should I believe them about stuff that I'm not in a position to verify one way or the other?  

This is not “woke” issue, nor is it hypocrisy. The vast majority of blacks in this country are far more concerned about their treatment at the hands of white police than they are about black on black crime in the inner city. 
As @rockactioncorrectly noted in another thread he has devoted to this subject, there are long, historical reasons for this. Personally, while I recognize that black on black crime is a serious problem, I believe it’s justified to be far more concerned about systemic racism in the police because they are in a position of authority. But that’s a subjective opinion of mine; I don’t expect others to share it. It is NOT however based on “woke”, nor is it hypocritical. You and others need to stop mentioning black on black crime whenever the police issues come up IMO; they’re not relevant. 

I agree with this. (not with every line; there are a few specific exceptions I would make). But I agree with your overall point. 

I'm saying this sincerely, but you can't really agree with part of it.  In theory you can agree with blaming all the people "not on your side" 

Agreeing with part of it is just as bad as none of it...it's some form of "sides".

You want to talk about one being a bigger problem than another...for sure. 

The unprecedented level of anti-police hatred has gotten to a dangerous level.  It is funny how some endless excuse the hatefilled rhetoric from the left, but twist and extrapolate and condemn rhetoric from the right.  Wokeness is a cancer which a a problem bigger than racism that it claims to be against.
That's very divisive and dismissive. 

I wrote something really long about this, but I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate nor something I totally want to share. What I can say is that the honor code of not talking to police is often an attempt to hide serious familial and societal malfunction happening at core levels.

I still want to know why the girl who got shot was in a foster home and what the mother was doing on the scene. Why'd Mom lose the kid, or was kid so out of control she became a ward of the state? What gives in that situation? Drugs by the mother? Lack of funds to support the daughter? Why were they separated so that she was living in an obviously unstable situation?

Anyway, when things like the nine-person shooting happen, everybody turns and blames authority or society within those communities, never reflecting upon the things that actually caused the shooting. Sinning on Saturday and praying to God on Sunday that somehow it will end without being proactive about it. Which is why I started the systemic racism thread, in order to account for culpability on society's end. But there's something else there. There's no accountability undertaken by the people involved, nor the witnesses, who refuse community policing and restraint. Civil rights leaders and pastors used to fill this void. They would harness the community energy towards working to an end to violence. BLM has specifically declined to work with community and religious leaders, specifically refusing their intervention and saying that they prefer street theater. That is a bad move, and further perpetuates the notion that the state and society are the ones to address rather than the perpetrators of the violence.

It's a mixed-up, screwed-up way of looking at things, but it dominates the discussion and the hearts and minds of those involved.
Just a lot easier to blame whitey, et al than look in the mirror & whitey does have some blame.  That also sells a lot better so here we are & Jessie Jackson & Rev. Sharpton are no where to be found when in weekend shootings in Chicago blacks kill blacks & brown kills brown.  now, back to the thread.

Here's a write-up from the Washington Post on this story.  I'm not going to copy and paste the whole thing, but there's basically one paragraph in the entire piece that actually alludes to the fact that that the girl who got shot was in the process of committing attempted murder.  Here's that paragraph:

Technically this is all accurate.  The aggressor did "appear" to chase somebody, and the reason why it appears that way is because that's in fact exactly what she was doing.  The reason why the thing in her hand "appears to be" a blade is because she was holding a knife.  "Taking a swing" at somebody's head while holding a knife is an action that we would normally just call a stabbing.  That's a lot of euphemism and misinformation packed into one paragraph.

And of course the rest of the story places this incident in the "evil police officer murders an innocent person who was just minding her own business" narrative, which we all know to be false in this case.

If they lie about stuff that I can see for myself on video, why should I believe them about stuff that I'm not in a position to verify one way or the other?  
I have no objection to anything you wrote until the last two paragraphs. I don’t really see the article as slanted but I can understand why you do. I understand your objection to the word “appears”, though I think it’s fine. 
But the article doesn’t create any false narrative; it reports a narrative which already exists. Whether or not this shooting was justified (and based on this and other articles I think it probably was) there’s a lot of people, including community leaders on the ground, who don’t think it was and are angry. The Washington Post is not creating that anger; they are reporting it, which is what they’re supposed to do. 

In your last paragraph you state that the newspaper lied to you. You failed to show any evidence of this. 

This is not “woke” issue, nor is it hypocrisy. The vast majority of blacks in this country are far more concerned about their treatment at the hands of white police than they are about black on black crime in the inner city. 
As @rockactioncorrectly noted in another thread he has devoted to this subject, there are long, historical reasons for this. Personally, while I recognize that black on black crime is a serious problem, I believe it’s justified to be far more concerned about systemic racism in the police because they are in a position of authority. But that’s a subjective opinion of mine; I don’t expect others to share it. It is NOT however based on “woke”, nor is it hypocritical. You and others need to stop mentioning black on black crime whenever the police issues come up IMO; they’re not relevant. 
You ignore the fact that somehow stopping the black on black crime would save WAAAAAY more lives

I'm saying this sincerely, but you can't really agree with part of it.  In theory you can agree with blaming all the people "not on your side" 

Agreeing with part of it is just as bad as none of it...it's some form of "sides".

You want to talk about one being a bigger problem than another...for sure. 
There are people on your list whom I don’t blame- not all of them are on my “side”. But I agree with looking at each situation separately. That’s what I thought you meant. 

I kind of agree with this and mentioned the same in a post last night.

I mean black on black crime is insane.  It is insane that it is not what people are over-indexed on.  Instead we're over-indexed on a cop saving a black girl by shooting another black girl that was about to stab said girl.

But policing can and should be looked at separately.  End of sentence.

And then we'll argue just how bad policing is, which needs lots of improving... but even saying that people are way to overblown on it today, in 2021.  Funny thing is everyone acknowledges why its overblown, because of history, I get that but doesn't make it "right"...the people distorting todays facts are flat out wrong.

I have no objection to anything you wrote until the last two paragraphs. I don’t really see the article as slanted but I can understand why you do. I understand your objection to the word “appears”, though I think it’s fine. 
But the article doesn’t create any false narrative; it reports a narrative which already exists. Whether or not this shooting was justified (and based on this and other articles I think it probably was) there’s a lot of people, including community leaders on the ground, who don’t think it was and are angry. The Washington Post is not creating that anger; they are reporting it, which is what they’re supposed to do. 

In your last paragraph you state that the newspaper lied to you. You failed to show any evidence of this. 
The least surprising/most predictable post ever. 

Sure, but it is highly irrational which the woke rhetoric and constant biased news coverage has greatly contributed to.  When we are talking about maybe 10 unjustified killings at the hands of the police versus thousands caused by black gangs and criminals, it is not logical to have more fear of the police and have that be your only focus.  Besides the root cause of the police violence is their trying to protect the communities from the massive amount of violence that exists there.

100%

I kind of agree with this and mentioned the same in a post last night.

I mean black on black crime is insane.  It is insane that it is not what people are over-indexed on.  Instead we're over-indexed on a cop saving a black girl by shooting another black girl that was about to stab said girl.

But policing can and should be looked at separately.  End of sentence.

And then we'll argue just how bad policing is, which needs lots of improving... but even saying that people are way to overblown on it today, in 2021.  Funny thing is everyone acknowledges why its overblown, because of history, I get that but doesn't make it "right"...the people distorting todays facts are flat out wrong.
Look I get that these are complicated, nuanced issues with many shades of grey. I also get that a lot of these community leaders react to these shootings in a blind rage filled manner that is extremist and irrational. I understand their anger, and empathize with it, but that doesn’t make it any less irrational. Yesterday LeBron was foolish and irrational. I get it. 

It really does remind me of Pravda in the 70’s.  We can’t continue having one country with two entirely different and opposed media groups.  More and more I’m coming to the conclusion that the media is the dingle biggest problem in the country today.  It really does have the potential to destroy the Union.

I have no objection to anything you wrote until the last two paragraphs. I don’t really see the article as slanted but I can understand why you do.
And this is why you claim the media is not biased.  I supposed you are just so used to the slantedness it comes across as the way it should be.

And this is why you claim the media is not biased.  I supposed you are just so used to the slantedness it comes across as the way it should be.
You want to say it’s slanted, fine. Again my biggest objection to Ivan’s post was that he claimed there was a false narrative being reported, and that he was being lied to. These are both untrue. 

It really does remind me of Pravda in the 70’s.  We can’t continue having one country with two entirely different and opposed media groups.  More and more I’m coming to the conclusion that the media is the dingle biggest problem in the country today.  It really does have the potential to destroy the Union.
That's because most are not journalists anymore. The majority are activists with bias and an agenda to push. It's painfully obvious. Hell, just look at the PBS "journalist" all but begging the White House to come to Waters defense. It's a shame honestly.

Again you suggest there’s some kind of double standard. If he was tweeting about earthquakes would you demand he spend equal time on hurricanes? 
I would be happy if LeBron focused on doing well the one thing he decided to tweet about.  But our presidents don't, so no reason to expect people who perform their jobs in gym shorts for a living to do better.

Actually, not sure I am wont to comment on garb given my covid wfh attire.

Pravda lied. If the Soviet Union had a crop failure, Pravda reported a crop surplus. 

I don’t understand how you can make this comparison.

They intentionally repeated a narrative that we know is false, and they intentionally created an impression of uncertainty where no uncertainty actually exists.  That's a lie in my book.

If you want to quibble over the definition of the word "lie," I'll leave it to you.  Regardless, it's unprofessional and actively dishonest reporting.  When Fox News does stuff like this, we have no problem recognizing it for what it is.

This is a fantasy. 
I know you disagree, and that's fine. Individuals here have given multiple examples of bias and driving an agenda. You find some way to always make an excuse for the media and dismiss it. That's your choice. But it's becoming more and more obvious. 

Today there was a mostly peaceful protest at the US Capitol.  It appeared that some of the protesters broke windows and forced entry into the building.  Within the Capitol an unarmed woman was shot at point blank range by a Capitol Police Officer.  It appeared the woman may have been climbing through a window into a secure area.  According to two unnamed protesters at the scene the police continued firing on the woman after she fell to the ground.

He's right though.  If it was one isolated instance, that would be one thing, but we see the same thing over and over again.
Almost everything we read today is some form of truth distortion.  From the president down to the schmo banging away on his keyboard in the basement.  It's all distorted through some form of bias and most typically through a partisan lens.

I was always "aware" of this but its become outright scary to me over the past few months the more I have had my antenna up.

In this instance, its how every police shooting becomes systemic racism.  EVERY SINGLE ONE.  Facts be damned, we have a narrative to protect people!!!

Today there was a mostly peaceful protest at the US Capitol.  It appeared that some of the protesters broke windows and forced entry into the building.  Within the Capitol an unarmed woman was shot at point blank range by a Capitol Police Officer.  It appeared the woman may have been climbing through a window into a secure area.  According to two unnamed protesters at the scene the police continued firing on the woman after she fell to the ground.
Yup

Pravda lied. If the Soviet Union had a crop failure, Pravda reported a crop surplus. 

I don’t understand how you can make this comparison.
The degree to which they lied is greater, but what is similar is both being mouthpieces of propaganda for the Party.  Not worth explaining it to you anymore.  Anyone who doesn’t see left wing bias in the media really has no credibility to even discuss the issue in my opinion.

The degree to which they lied is greater, but what is similar is both being mouthpieces of propaganda for the Party.  Not worth explaining it to you anymore.  Anyone who doesn’t see left wing bias in the media really has no credibility to even discuss the issue in my opinion.
OK. Personally I would argue that anyone who claims that the MSM is a mouthpiece of propaganda for the Party has no credibility. But that’s just me. 

The majority of conservatives in America share some or all of your opinion on this. Thankfully, the majority of Americans do not. Eventually this flawed conservative perception of the media will have to change or the right will continue to head down the road towards irrational extremism. 

Officer Sicknick's death was misinformation spread because of anonymous sources. Completely disputed by family members the very next day! Did that stop news outlets and politicians from running with the lie of "beat to death". No! Did the news outlets and politicians say we have conflicting reports? No! They continued the lie of "beat to death". The family, whom I suspect saw the body, talked to Dr's at the hospital, talked to officer Sicknick the night of the 6th, yet non of that info was news worthy. It's obvious.

Officer Sicknick's death was misinformation spread because of anonymous sources. Completely disputed by family members the very next day! Did that stop news outlets and politicians from running with the lie of "beat to death". No! Did the news outlets and politicians say we have conflicting reports? No! They continued the lie of "beat to death". The family, whom I suspect saw the body, talked to Dr's at the hospital, talked to officer Sicknick the night of the 6th, yet non of that info was news worthy. It's obvious.
:goodposting:

the contrast to your post and the 2 above yours is hilarious 

Users who are viewing this thread