What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL 2021 NFL Draft Thread *** (3 Viewers)

I'm a guy sitting on a couch.

Kadarius  Toney  seems like a monumentally bad pick.  Like did any fan  watch a Giant's game last year and think, "Man, if only we had Toney."

Jets might rue the day. Twitterverse was abuzz with Fields love, largely from quarters that thought it was lazy racial analysis dropping him down. Then the epilepsy thing comes to light. Not sure how one is supposed to feel. I think Denver and Carolina made big mistakes going corner. 
He should have went second overall imo. He’s going to be super good. Crazy SF picked Trey Lance over him, I’ll never get that. 

I'm a guy sitting on a couch.

Kadarius  Toney  seems like a monumentally bad pick.  Like did any fan  watch a Giant's game last year and think, "Man, if only we had Toney."
More bad value then bad player IMO. It just makes zero sense to draft a player at the deepest available position at this stage

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if any of the fans that got to come on stage were like "I'm good" when asked to sit in Goodell's basement chair. That #### is stupid.

Ugh. Do not like paye in Indy.

The dude was too perfect for Nashville

didn't really pay attention to Toney, not sure how I feel about this pick.
Gators fan here.

I am one of the people that puts a lot of stock in draftniks.  We all steal their work and make our mock drafts or act like we know where roughly guys are supposed to go, but really we're just taking their work and moving things around a bit.  It's amazing that they can project so many of these guys within 10 picks of where they'd really go when if we were starting from nothing we wouldn't know if Mac Jones had the profile of a 1st round pick or a 6th rounder.

But Toney is one of those guys where I know a lot about him only because he's from my favorite team and I've been following him for years, and it makes me doubt them somewhat.  We see the draftniks talk about him more like a weapon, less like a WR.  80% of the highlights they showed were him running the ball out of the backfield, taking a reverse, or catching a screen pass and making some moves.  And that's really what they consider him to be.

But in reality Toney's college career moved constantly away from that.  He came in at Florida, wore Percy Harvin's number with a similar prospect profile to Harvin, and they tried using him that way.  Screens, carries, reverses.  But honestly he wasn't very good at it.  He was no Percy in that respect, for sure.  Those plays rarely went anywhere except against really weak competition.

So then they kind of moved away from that and lined him up as a more traditional WR and he flourished there.  Turns out his moves work better without the ball in his hands then with it in his hands.  He really became a very dependable, prototypical WR this year.  But because of his profile and some old highlights people present him as this gadget WR when that's really not what he is.

He's not that fast for his size, so I worry about that.  But I don't think he's this gadget guy that is going to have to learn how to play a traditional WR role like he is presented as.  That is what he already is.

At some point soon, Kwity Paye will be picked.  I saw a video of him and his family earlier today ...wow.  Mom was able to get out of Liberia at age 12 to avoid violent ethnic conflict.  She saw her father's hut on fire (and knew those running to escape were being shot).  She never saw him again.  In the states, she worked two or three jobs to raise her boys.  Kwity was tremendously focused by the time he entered high school.  Great guy ...great story.
Wow. That's absolutely heartbreaking and wonderful at the same time. Best of luck to him, and hopefully he can take care of his family now. 

He should have went second overall imo. He’s going to be super good. Crazy SF picked Trey Lance over him, I’ll never get that. 
You also didn’t interview the kid. Who knows why a franchise values one guy over another. I was happy with fields or Lance. Imma trust the Shanaplan. 

NYG front office probably liked Toney as a top 10-12 pick, but knew he was viewed lower by the NFL/consensus, so felt comfortable trading down. They have injury-prone but talented Golladay and a whole lot of "meh" in Shepard and Slayton, so he will get a chance. He is worth taking a look at before just dismissing him due to pre-draft biases. 

Gators fan here.

I am one of the people that puts a lot of stock in draftniks.  We all steal their work and make our mock drafts or act like we know where roughly guys are supposed to go, but really we're just taking their work and moving things around a bit.  It's amazing that they can project so many of these guys within 10 picks of where they'd really go when if we were starting from nothing we wouldn't know if Mac Jones had the profile of a 1st round pick or a 6th rounder.

But Toney is one of those guys where I know a lot about him only because he's from my favorite team and I've been following him for years, and it makes me doubt them somewhat.  We see the draftniks talk about him more like a weapon, less like a WR.  80% of the highlights they showed were him running the ball out of the backfield, taking a reverse, or catching a screen pass and making some moves.  And that's really what they consider him to be.

But in reality Toney's college career moved constantly away from that.  He came in at Florida, wore Percy Harvin's number with a similar prospect profile to Harvin, and they tried using him that way.  Screens, carries, reverses.  But honestly he wasn't very good at it.  He was no Percy in that respect, for sure.  Those plays rarely went anywhere except against really weak competition.

So then they kind of moved away from that and lined him up as a more traditional WR and he flourished there.  Turns out his moves work better without the ball in his hands then with it in his hands.  He really became a very dependable, prototypical WR this year.  But because of his profile and some old highlights people present him as this gadget WR when that's really not what he is.

He's not that fast for his size, so I worry about that.  But I don't think he's this gadget guy that is going to have to learn how to play a traditional WR role like he is presented as.  That is what he already is.
That makes more sense.  I was watching those highlights of end arounds and thought to myself, he’s not that fast?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh that's NFL team logos as old school rock and roll album covers - now I get that background art

-QG

I assume they played Welcome to the Jungle during the commercial break that was the run up (as usual) to our pick

-QG

For Indy or others?  I like it for the Colts
I think he's saying TEN is desperate for pass rushers and had arguably the best one fall into their laps. 

This move reminds me of PHI trading up just before DAL to draft Dallas Goedert(TE) a couple of years ago a few hours after Witten announced his first retirement. Definite divisional strategic move by IND there.

I know.  I've been playing Slint and Tortoise all night on the turntable. 😀
Some minimal vocal post-rock, huh? Isn't Tortoise more jazzy? 

Big fan of Mogwai and Explosions In The Sky here, so I'm familiar with the progenitors and practitioners. 

Yeah, they still got a very, very good player. It's just easier to get DB's in this draft than pass rushers according to most people. 
After completely blowing last year's 1st, paye would have been very welcome in Nashville. It's not the same at all, but farley has more risk than I'd want to take. But if healthy, could be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread